• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

The US Soccer federation makes a ton of money annually on the US-Mexico friendly (they'll be close to a sellout with high ticket prices) and all of the Mexican National Team matches that take place in the US.

so if it was a qualifying match that actually mattered, they would put it in Columbus?

Askani

yes, yes, yes.

never great to see a dude lose his job but he was real shit. Should play in the lower leagues or seriously consider a career change.

I think he'll land somewhere. Who knows...maybe adequate at OKC since Jimmy knows his playstyle? USLPRO or NASL at least could have a need for him.

ATF487

Didn't read the entire article, but I don't know how you can blame Kraft entirely. Isn't NE a very successful club in the MLS? The obvious solution would be to build them a stadium, but I doubt it is worth it for Kraft to fund, and I doubt the city wants to build them anything(the same city that has their hugely profitable baseball team playing in a dump still). They probably should do something to make it have a better seating arrangement however.

The Revs were successful in the early days of MLS, but have been left by the wayside since the introduction of DPs. Last year was the first year since 2008 or so that the team looked promising, and this year they've yet to score a goal.

I understand that it doesn't really make financial sense for the Krafts to build a new stadium when they've already got one, but why should the fans care about that? We have an inferior game day experience to almost every other team, if the Krafts won't ever build a new stadium or really commit to winning then they should sell the team to owners who would.

I should mention how difficult it is to get to Gillette, too. It's ~30 miles southwest of the city, and there's no public transit there. Owning a car in the city is optional here, and lots of young people (college students and young professionals) survive with a bike and a T pass. These sorts of people are the audience that MLS has been courting in other markets, but they can't get to Gillette.

So basically:

1) The team ownership isn't trying their hardest to make the team competitive
2) It's hard for fans and potential fans to get to the stadium
3) And even when you get to the stadium, the experience of watching a game in a cavernous NFL stadium is poor

xbhaskarx

I don't really understand how or why it's a bad thing personally.

MLS fans like to complain about everything. It's not another Chivas USA, that's just idiotic. The team name actually includes the name of the city they play in, they have their own crest, and they plan on having their own stadium instead of renting RBA. I'd say all of that is far more important than the name having City in it (hell NYCFC makes more sense than both MCFC and OCSC), using some of the same colors, or Etihad being a sponsor... the Chivas comparisons are going to look hilarious when they bring in some heavy hitter DPs.

Already 2-0 after 15 minutes. No clue how he is playing individually though. This is a David vs Goliath matchup either way.

Bayern about to win their title in only 27 games. Crazy.
90 minutes for Brooks today in the 3-1 loss. I have no idea how well he played.

Ream also played another 90 minutes for Bolton at left back today.

Lkr

The Revs were successful in the early days of MLS, but have been left by the wayside since the introduction of DPs. Last year was the first year since 2008 or so that the team looked promising, and this year they've yet to score a goal.

I understand that it doesn't really make financial sense for the Krafts to build a new stadium when they've already got one, but why should the fans care about that? We have an inferior game day experience to almost every other team, if the Krafts won't ever build a new stadium or really commit to winning then they should sell the team to owners who would.

I should mention how difficult it is to get to Gillette, too. It's ~30 miles southwest of the city, and there's no public transit there. Owning a car in the city is optional here, and lots of young people (college students and young professionals) survive with a bike and a T pass. These sorts of people are the audience that MLS has been courting in other markets, but they can't get to Gillette.

So basically:

1) The team ownership isn't trying their hardest to make the team competitive
2) It's hard for fans and potential fans to get to the stadium
3) And even when you get to the stadium, the experience of watching a game in a cavernous NFL stadium is poor

Is their room for a stadium in Boston?

KingGondo

Banned
Very good news re: soccer in OKC.

Tim McLaughlin, the businessman who was bringing the NASL team to the city, has become equal partners with Bob Funk, Jr. in the USL's OKC Energy FC.

This should really help unite the OKC soccer fanbase and give us a better chance of eventually getting into MLS.

Lkr

It only runs during Pats games.

maybe the krafts should fund that then for rev games. i know one of my biggest concerns for orlando city is the lack of public transportation in central florida. i live about 10 minutes from downtown driving, but it is a pain in the ass regardless in comparison to having some sort of rail line

got my tickets to see usmnt in jacksonville though, very excited

That is unusually early for Klinsmann. I thought he would wait until this weekend's games are done.
I guess it's "pending injuries and other concerns from the weekend games" or something like that. The players should know by now anyway, but they usually just hold back on releasing the roster until after the weekend in case they have to tweak it last minute.

US roster for the Mexico game:

HE8bEYO.jpg

GK-Hamid, S. Johnson, Rimando
D-Beasley, Besler, Evans, Gonzalez, Goodson, Orozco, Parkhurst, Yedlin
M-Beckerman, Bradley, Davis, Donovan, Edu, Gil, Zusi
F-Dempsey, Green, E. Johnson, Wondolowski

A quick stab at Klinsmann's lineup from this roster:

Rimando; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Bradley; Zusi, Dempsey, Donovan; Johnson

That leaves the bench as: Hamid, S. Johnson, Goodson, Orozco, Parkhurst, Yedlin, Davis, Edu, Gil, Green, Wondolowski

Presumably Green & others will get a decent chunk of time in the 2nd half.

Nesotenso

A quick stab at Klinsmann's lineup from this roster:

Rimando; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Bradley; Zusi, Dempsey, Donovan; Johnson

That leaves the bench as: Hamid, S. Johnson, Goodson, Orozco, Parkhurst, Yedlin, Davis, Edu, Gil, Green, Wondolowski

Presumably Green & others will get a decent chunk of time in the 2nd half.

Parkhurst will probably get the nod over Evans. At least he should. I hope Agudelo somehow pushes Johnson out.

Nesotenso

Has he been playing right back or centerback for Columbus? Not that it matters, but I'm curious where he's lining up for the Crew.

Dunno about where he plays for the Crew. Do know that from the match reports he shutdown Johnson when they faced D.C

JK likes his versatility on both the left and right side and ranks him above all the options he brought along with him during the January camp.

Altidore is starting for Sunderland against Liverpool today.

JK likes his versatility on both the left and right side and ranks him above all the options he brought along with him during the January camp.
I just get the feeling that he rates Evans more than Parkhurst, though I'd like to see the latter get a shot.

Meier

I think Jozy has played pretty well in the 2nd half. Been more of a creator than anything but he has provided some nice service.

Nesotenso

I think Jozy has played pretty well in the 2nd half. Been more of a creator than anything but he has provided some nice service.

Sunderland played more positive towards the end. But Jozy struggles when the defenders are just as physical as him. I don't know if we are going to see another goal from him this season. Sunderland need to win their home fixtures to prevent relegation.

Yeah he had one opportunity to take a shot at the top of the box but opted to make an offside pass instead. Sunderland at least made it interesting down the stretch.

He was listed as questionable as of 3/21, but I haven't seen an update since then. Maybe one of the Seattle guys knows.

Evans has an interview on the Sounders YT channel saying he plans on going the full 90 this weekend. He practiced in Montreal but they decided to hold him back for one more week.

https://youtu.be/6RH0ljclpqQ

Also here's a nice video from the MLS guys breaking down the USMNT back line options.

https://youtu.be/l665tm_Z76M

Meier

Yeah he had one opportunity to take a shot at the top of the box but opted to make an offside pass instead. Sunderland at least made it interesting down the stretch.

In his defense, it was a really lovely ball -- Giach just went too soon. But you would have liked to see him take a shot there (even though the decision to pass would have been a better one had it come off).

Has he been playing right back or centerback for Columbus? Not that it matters, but I'm curious where he's lining up for the Crew.

Dunno about where he plays for the Crew. Do know that from the match reports he shutdown Johnson when they faced D.C

Parkhurst has been playing CB for Columbus. My Union played against them last week and he played pretty well from what I remember, but he was definitely central and not playing RB

Johannson gets the start for AZ today against Ajax in the Dutch Cup.

CB, if you decide to fly to NY for this game, I'll be there with my wife in anticipation of the City-Pool game! :D
Tempting! I'll probably pass on this given the long flight and high ticket prices. It is nuts that Arsenal haven't played here in 25 years.

Osorio

Since I'm going to be in El Salvador if anybody wants a ticket to RBNY vs. Arsenal let me know

It's a part of my season ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom