• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

LA galaxy are the worst..amirite?

i1Jj1gG.gif

Slizz

It was like watching a bus going towards a cliff-edge. Could see the end result coming from a mile off :(

Live and learn
forget and die

Is Beckham trying to make a proper football club, or a new Monaco?

Pretty sure he's trying to make a proper one. I can see the aging European player marquee signing showing up, but when he actually has discussed the thing he talked about the academy aspect and trying to grow a team.

EDIT: Of course the only that shows up regarding Beckhams team is ridiculous stories based off nothing saying "Will Ronaldo join Beckhams team in the future?"

Lots of Falcao talk too, which actually has a broken leg to stand on since he has a condo here on the beach.

All this and we don't have a fucking name.

K1LLER7

Hi,

I support Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

Falcao is my avy becuz I like his hair.

Bebe is in there so he's never forgotten.

Please be kind.

Askani

Is Beckham trying to make a proper football club, or a new Monaco?

He got a sweetheart deal in his MLS contract that he could option a new franchise for peanuts. MLS wants to cram a team in Miami but Becks currently needs a stadium deal. Every place he's tried some group or other has bitched and the deal fell through.

wedward

Earthquakes baby.

WE GON SHAKE YA.

Arse are winning the treble and they close the thread. Laboured, tell me their isn't an anti-arse agenda on this board.

Earthquakes baby.

WE GON SHAKE YA.

Arse are winning the treble and they close the thread. Laboured, tell me their isn't an anti-arse agenda on this board.

Evilore PMed me to inform me that the thread was locked as an attempt to psychologically dismantle Arsenal's treble attempt.

I fear how Lightning might retaliate.

Labadal

Regular football GAF, if we don't intend to discuss MLS, we should just step away. It'd be nice to have some people to talk to once or if we can make another football thread.

Meier

Hi guys!

:p

Actually relevant question: will there be room in LA Galaxy's schedule to play a friendly against Liverpool at Anfield after Gerrard joins them? We need a proper chance to say goodbye to him, and our last match/es of the season aren't at home.

It's possible they could try and get Liverpool to be the opponent for the MLS All-Star game but it'd be here in the US. It was Bayern last year (and Pep got piissssseeedd). I heard a rumor it could be MCFC this year but that's just something one of the guys in our local supporter's club mentioned after a friend out in Colorado told him. I'm sure John Henry would love to have Liverpool come over and play in the game next year (Stevie G won't be in the league long enough to be an All-Star this year I doubt but ya never know).

Labadal

While I am in this thread, I might as well ask: How would you guys rate the MLS? The other day, the team that Robbie Keane playes for lost to a Swedish team during a friendly game. Sweden doesn't have the best football teams in the world, so to speak.

Bold One

Regular football GAF, if we don't intend to discuss MLS, we should just step away. It'd be nice to have some people to talk to once or if we can make another football thread.

Buddy, we just here to talk about soccer, I for one am glad that the New York FC will finally prove they aren't a shell organisation for some unsavoury businessmen

infi

Anyways, Beckham AGAIN has proposed a new stadium site to the City of Miami, which is probably going to get shut down.

Annoyed at it all because the spot the city is willing to give is right next to Marlins stadium which would be a decent place since you can easily access it via public transportation. Becks problem with it probably is the area surrounding it isn't the lavish Miami, SoBe lifestyle he wants for the club.

Does he have a deadline to get a stadium deal sorted before the MLS tell him to get stuffed?

xbhaskarx

While I am in this thread, I might as well ask: How would you guys rate the MLS? The other day, the team that Robbie Keane playes for lost to a Swedish team during a friendly game. Sweden doesn't have the best football teams in the world, so to speak.

Well yes clearly Sweden is way better than MLS based on one meaningless preseason game, however MLS beat Bayern Munich last year so the rankings actually look like this:

Sweden >>>> MLS >> Bayern Munich

For all the potential refugees, please make sure you read and comprehend the following:
That being said, what's the future of the footie community here on NeoGAF?

The thread will be banned indefinitely, and this status will be reevaluated three months from now. Anyone attempting to invade another thread to migrate the community to, or creating a stealth or offshoot official thread for the same purpose, will be permed on the spot, and such measures will be taken into account when deciding whether to re-open discussion in three months. The footie-gaf community has consistently demonstrated hostility toward the moderation team and an inability to follow the rules. Apologies to those who weren't part of the drama who have now lost their home.

Go #StevieGalaxy!

Esch

Banned

It's kind of hard to estimate exactly how good the MLS is, but if you were going to approximate it i'd say it's League One quality at best.

Meier

Friendlies really mean absolutely nothing. City lost two South African teams in the friendlies before the 13/14 season and then of course won a double.

Wow, that fucking blows about the other thread. 3 months. :( And the damn MLS might not even start next month to make this thread a good place to converse about those games! Argh!

Labadal

Well yes clearly Sweden is way better than MLS based on one meaningless preseason game, however MLS beat Bayern Munich last year so the rankings actually look like this:

Sweden >>>> MLS >> Bayern Munich

Ofcourse, that's not how it works. I'm just wondering compared to Europe's better leagues.

Anyway, I think Esch response makes sense. I would have guessed at least Championship level.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It was a meaningless preseason game. Little hard to judge anything by those since no one really takes them seriously. That said the best teams could probably roll with the EPL, in the middle or bottom half of the table.

Labadal

Just because you guys shit up your own thread and got it locked, can you not do the same here?
I have no intention to shit on anything. I was genuinly interested about the quality of the MLS. All I know that some players go to play there when they get older, like my all time favorite player, Steven gerrard is going to do after the summer.

Friendlies really mean absolutely nothing. City lost two South African teams in the friendlies before the 13/14 season and then of course won a double.

Then you tell me, Meier. I assume you're a good person to ask as I assume you follow both the PL and MLS.

Esch

Banned
Ofcourse, that's not how it works. I'm just wondering compared to Europe's better leagues.

Anyway, I think Esch response makes sense. I would have guessed at least Championship level.

It really depends, I think some teams like the Sounders and Gals could have good results here and there against championship teams, but they wouldn't be top of the table.

Labadal

The Austin Aztex just beat the Houston Dynamo so third division USL is better than MLS also.

Based on what, just the fact that he said it?

Oh man, I'm just wondering in general, what could the MLS be compared to on a competitive level in Europe? He responded that he thinks it could be at League One level. I am interested to know because I will most likely watch Los Angeles play just to watch Steven Gerrard.

I intended nothing vitriolic or anything of the kind. I guess staying out of this thread would be better, I guess.

Meier

Then you tell me, Meier. I assume you're a good person to ask as I assume you follow both the PL and MLS.

I have heard players who have played in both leagues compare it to roughly the Championship (England 2nd tier). The best teams in MLS could compete fairly well on average with relegation threatened PL teams and beat better teams on occasion but would typically lose. Lower tier Championship teams (and below) would usually struggle with most MLS sides.

I think you could convincingly put it at around the 9th or 10th best league in the world. Far ahead of any of the Nordic countries.

xbhaskarx

In actual news...

Daniel Busch ‏@dan_bu
Klinsmann called Hamburg right-back Ashton Götz last week to convince him to play for the US national team. Götz very interested.

Report: Jurgen Klinsmann recruiting German-American Ashton Gotz
report indicates by late March, when the USMNT heads to Europe to face Denmark and Switzerland, Gotz could be called in to train with the Americans.

Anyone seen this guy play? Wondering where he might fit into the RB depth chart with Fabian Johnson, Chandler, Yedlin, Lichaj, Alvarado (there was a story a few days ago that the US sent scouts to watch him)..

Meier

Looks like he has a few appearances for HSV this season but probably not enough to make an impression on anyone. He's the right age though (21).. could have a nice career ahead of him.

Actually, his wiki is out of date. He has 9 appearances in the league with one assist and he played the full 90 in a DFB Pokal game.

Askani

dc89 supporting Man City C? Color me surprised.

Wait, what the hell is going on?

Since I'm assuming 95% of the "new" posters are being disingenuous:

Football |OT| locked. Apparently the best way to show you can get what you want back in a timely and orderly fashion is to shit up other threads. Learn something new everyday.

xbhaskarx

DCU to found residential academy program with local school

D.C. United’s Buzzard Point stadium plans taking shape behind the scenes

The club will not lock into a specific seating capacity for quite some time. The working figure has been 20,000+. It could, however, end up being as high as 22,000. United has also discussed a second phase of construction in the distant future that would add another 6,000 to 8,000 seats, bringing the total to somewhere between 26,000 and 30,000.

Orlando City surpasses 12,000 season tickets sold

3Sixty

I'm actually excited for the start of the MLS season.

Galaxy are kicking off against my Chicago Fire.

OLE OLE OLE OLE GUUUUULLLLLLYYYY GUUUULLLLLLYYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom