• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I'm having trouble selecting players... it's tougher with all new teams, plus there is way more roster churn than usual with the dispersal draft and expansion draft. Like who is the starting goalkeeper for NYC, Meara or Saunders? For Colorado is it Irwin or MacMath? For Dallas is it Seitz or Kennedy?

Oh and Giovinco and Kaka are both $11 in case anyone was wondering...

I just put a bunch of random players on my team for the time being. I'm going to fix it up as the season gets closer and more information becomes available. It's tough to construct something so early.

Both. Mets haven't made the playoffs since 2006. Red Bull bought Metro in 2006

If they make the playoffs, I'd be shocked. Nine years is too long. :(

xbhaskarx

Anyways, I agree with you, Askani, that model is a bit archaic now that the league has shown its got a viable market and is continuing to grow. Didnt know the free agency thing, that seems like a bit of bullshit

It's not about needing that model to survive as a young league but not now that they're viable, being considered single entity is something any American sports league would want, second only to an exemption from anti-trust laws like baseball has.

I'll re-post an article from a few days ago:

MLS players want free agency; MLS owners don’t. Faced with a standoff, history says the league won’t blink first

Unlike any of the leagues, in the U.S. or abroad, that it hopes one day to compete with, Major League Soccer, L.L.C., is not a joint venture between independent owners but a single corporation, its clubs not franchises but wholly-owned subsidiaries run by “investor-operators.”
For MLS owners, however, single-entity grants the league immunity from an antitrust suit like the one players brought in Fraser v. Major League Soccer. A pro sports league, by its very nature, creates a monopsony—a market in which many sellers (the players) must offer their services to a single buyer (the league)—and therefore risks running afoul of laws designed to prevent anti-competitive business practices. Major League Baseball, with its long history and political clout, was famously held to be exempt from antitrust laws in a 1922 Supreme Court decision. In other American sports, the collective bargaining process is not subject to such laws, but players always have the option to dissolve their union and file an antitrust suit against the league, as NFL players did in 2011.

None of this, however, applies to MLS, as long as its single-entity defense—what sports law expert Gabe Feldman calls the “holy grail” of antitrust immunity—holds water. Legally speaking, a corporation can’t conspire or collude with itself, and the players’ claim in Fraser v. MLS that the league is merely a “sham” corporation didn’t pass muster in court. After their six-year journey through the federal court system ended in defeat in 2002, the players accepted the league as a single-entity and voted to form a union.

The league contends that free agency could lead to out-of-control salary costs and hinder its ability to compete on the global transfer market, but its real concerns likely have to do with the battle that began in a Boston courtroom nearly twenty years ago. Since the Fraser ruling, it’s grown increasingly difficult to view the league as a single, unified organism, and not what it really is: a league like any other, composed of various constituent parts with diverse and at times conflicting interests.
Throw in free agency, with clubs bidding against one another for talent on the open market, and it becomes nearly impossible to consider MLS a single-entity. In the event of future antitrust litigation, the league’s single-entity defense might fall apart, and MLS players would gain the additional leverage of the so-called “nuclear option” to decertify their union and sue the league in court. Even other leagues, like the ambitious NASL, might sense an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of baseball’s Federal League and challenge MLS’ division-one status with an antitrust lawsuit.

All of this—rather than salary costs or international recruitment—is almost certainly what is on the league’s mind as it continues to oppose any and all forms of free agency, no matter how limited. Rightly or wrongly, Garber and other league executives see unrestricted player movement as a Pandora’s box they don’t want to open, a possible existential threat to the league’s foundation. In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel two weeks ago, Garber mostly deflected a question about single-entity, but acknowledged that a lack of free agency is “a key aspect of our entire system.”

Some form of free agency (limited and by another name) should be possible under MLS' structure (and in any case MLS would have a much stronger defense if challenged as they could point to the hundreds of other professional soccer leagues), but from their perspective it's understandable why they're reluctant to do something that may open it up to a challenge.

Note NFL tried to claim single entity for their branding and the Supreme Court shot it down in 2010. Court: NFL is 32 teams, not one entity

Osorio

If they make the playoffs, I'd be shocked. Nine years is too long. :(

I'm optimistic about that second wild card slot, nothing more.

I'm less optimistic about Red Bull selling :(

Since it was so cold out I wore my Red Bull track jacket to work today. I work amongst a mostly blue-collar football/baseball crowd. Everyone's reaction was like "Ooh" at the jacket then "Ugh" at the Red Bull logo. Wasn't sure if it was the soccer or the Red Bull or both that gave them that reaction.

However, that won't be for long. I am replacing the logo with a Deportivo FAS patch.

xbhaskarx

I find this confusing:

THIRD DP SLOT OPEN?

Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen made a guest appearance on ESPN 700's The Bill & OC Show on Wednesday, and dropped a juicy nugget when he said that the club might have a third Designated Player slot available.

"We've put more money into this team than any time before, we've kind of cleared possibily a DP spot and I've said, 'We can go hunting,'" said Hansen. "The obvious thing we have to keep our eye out for is (Javier) Morales' age. He's amazing, he anchors such an important part of the team and hopefully (Luis) Gil can accrue to that spot. But you've got to keep an eye open that we need to have maybe some real money to put a person into that top of the midfield, to feed the forwards' spot."

Real Salt Lake looked to already have three DPs on their roster in Morales, Alvaro Saborio and Joao Plata, who are all returning from the 2014 season. But it appears the club might have brought down one of their salary figures and could potentially add another talented player to the squad at some point this year.

What about Sebastian Jaime, isn't he a DP? So they have four DPs but only two will count as DPs because they bought the others down, so they can add a third?

Ugh. Went through my fantasy team, played around with it for about 45 minutes, hit "make transfers," and it brings me back to the main page with my old team staring me in the face. Just spent another 45 minutes fixing it back up since I forgot the initial edits. Definitely isn't the team I came up with on the first attempt. This time it went through. Yay...

Az

My cousin signed for the Jacksonville Armada. They seem to be a league below MLS. Watched them beat the Philly MLS team two weeks ago. Fun times

xbhaskarx

Avaya Stadium to host World Rugby Pacific Nations Cup

USA_Rugby.jpg

The 18,000-seat Avaya Stadium will host two PNC matches July 18, Canada vs. Japan and the USA Men’s Eagles vs. Samoa.

“The Bay Area is recognized as one of the hubs for rugby in the United States and we designed Avaya Stadium with rugby in mind,” said Earthquakes President Dave Kaval. “We are thrilled to bring USA Rugby back to the area and look forward to welcoming the rugby community to Avaya Stadium for the first time."

They talked about eventually starting up a rugby team and a women's soccer team to fill dates at the new stadium, so hosting this event will test the local demand for rugby...
I'm not really interested in rugby but if they're serious and this means women's soccer comes to the bay area that would be great.

In other news, they finally put in the goals and lines, and people are speculating that the field is 75 yards wide even though Kinnear preferred 70 in Houston

Jabo

I support Milan Soccer Club but I'll be following Kaka wherever he goes, how is he doing?

Oh wow I can't believe this:

“A lot of my team-mates at Milan said ‘Please take me with you. I would like to play in America.’ I still get a lot of messages that some players want to join me here. Players in Europe are looking at MLS in a special way now.”

Not in a bad way but I guess this explains all the troubles Milan is going through.

Still though I'd be happy follow Kaka's team, what can Orlando City SC fans tell me about their team and city since I'm thinking of moving to Orlando (or Miami)??

Hey guys, i've never really posted here before and I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in to ask a question. I wanted to ask now so I could get some answers in case this thread somehow gets deleted and football is banned from this whole forum :p

I've been doing some travelling to see some football games across Europe and would like to add a MLS game to the list of leagues I have seen. I did have tickets to a Toronto FC game but with some family illness I had to miss it. So if you could only recommend one MLS team to see who would it be? I hear a lot of people saying Seattle Sounders elsewhere.

Cheers Guys!

ZZMitch

Hey guys, i've never really posted here before and I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in to ask a question. I wanted to ask now so I could get some answers in case this thread somehow gets deleted and football is banned from this whole forum :p

I've been doing some travelling to see some football games across Europe and would like to add a MLS game to the list of leagues I have seen. I did have tickets to a Toronto FC game but with some family illness I had to miss it. So if you could only recommend one MLS team to see who would it be? I hear a lot of people saying Seattle Sounders elsewhere.

Cheers Guys!

Seattle, Portland and Kansas City have the best fan experiences I think.

Marc

Cheers Guys!

Erm... what happened to FootyGAF? Thread closure doesn't exactly give many clues.

Oh and err Freddy Adu is a beast.

Osorio

II wouldn't rate Kansas City for a tourist merely because of the lack of transit options. Don't you have to park in a lot a bit away from the stadium and take a school bus? That is, if you get to the area in the first place.

Seattle and Portland seem like the best for someone coming from elsewhere.

Metro is great if you know the right person and go to the right game. If you don't have anyone to go with who can show you the ropes, it's a long train ride to an industrial wasteland with a Five Guys and a beautiful futbol stadium.

Still though I'd be happy follow Kaka's team, what can Orlando City SC fans tell me about their team and city since I'm thinking of moving to Orlando (or Miami)??

They're new to MLS.

Some form of free agency (limited and by another name) should be possible under MLS' structure (and in any case MLS would have a much stronger defense if challenged as they could point to the hundreds of other professional soccer leagues), but from their perspective it's understandable why they're reluctant to do something that may open it up to a challenge.

Note NFL tried to claim single entity for their branding and the Supreme Court shot it down in 2010. Court: NFL is 32 teams, not one entity

All NFL contracts are with the team though, not the league IIRC. That's the main difference.

Osorio

My friend's cousin moved to Orlando. He said he got so bored he developed a coke addiction and fucked a watermelon once.

My neighbor's niece is from Orlando. She told me that if I ran out of cigarettes I could smoke a rolled up piece of paper towel and it'd suffice.

At school I'm in a group project with a beautiful girl from Orlando who has little cuts all over her hands. She said she developed the habit in high school in Florida.

Wtf is really good down there?

Askani

II wouldn't rate Kansas City for a tourist merely because of the lack of transit options. Don't you have to park in a lot a bit away from the stadium and take a school bus? That is, if you get to the area in the first place.

It's not bad. The furthest lot is about 3/4s of a mile and they do offer free shuttle buses (real buses with real seats). It's right next to the Speedway and Community America Ballpark (where we used to play for a season or two) and the whole thing is on the intersection of two of the major highways here. The whole area there has been developed so there's like, I don't know, +25 food places and a movie theater and a shopping area and 3 hotels in the complex the call The Legends. It's not a little development.

Downtown is only about 10 mins away on I-70. and the Plaza is like 5 minutes south of that. It's easy to get around, but yeah you're going to need to rent a car or stay with someone who has one. I've never ridden the city bus system here so I can't speak to it's quality, but we're in the Midwest so we're spread out so that means it's easier to have a car.

Meier

I was reading a little interview with Jack Byrne who is a youth player for Man City. Look at this info about his offseason training regimen:

JOE: Jack, tell us what pre-season involves for an academy player like yourself?

Jack Byrne: We get our holidays end of May, start of June and we get the whole month of June off and then we’re back on July 1 for pre-season. Games start on August 17. During the month off I spent two weeks with Shamrock Rovers Strength and Conditioning coach Philly McMahon [Ed’s note: Yes, it’s the Dublin footballer Philly McMahon] so I went through a programme with him.

This is the level of competitiveness that Jurgen is undoubtedly expecting. Obviously a 17 year old kid has more energy than someone 10 years his elder, but you want the guys to be striving like this.

Meier

Wtf is really good down there?

Orlando is undoubtedly quite a bit different than NY but I never found it to be weirdly boring or anything. It's just like every other city in that it's what you make of it. I'd love to live back home but my wife wanted to move out of Florida so we left when she finished school and haven't looked back.

R.e. Orlando City as a team: This is the first year in MLS after playing at a lower level for a few seasons. The team was very successful and has built a nice sized fan base. A Brazilian owner came in and became the majority owner as he was able to finance the move to MLS -- it took awhile to get the stadium bill passed but there was strong support from the Mayor of Orlando as well as the Mayor of Orange County and so it eventually happened.

The team is playing in the Citrus Bowl this year (where they've played before) which is used for American football primarily -- there are two college football bowl games played there every year as well as some other things like high school state championship games and the occasional neutral site game for colleges. It's an older stadium that was pretty run down so they did major renovations to it and it's looking much better now. A new stadium will be ready in time for the 2016 season.

The team has played a few friendlies thus far and done well. There's only about 6 or 7 guys who made the jump up from USL (the lower tier division the team was in before) with most of them being fairly young. Orlando City has signed a lot of foreign players who are new to the league so on paper, it seems like there's a really good chance of the team doing well. We'll see how well they acclimate to the new league. The head coach is a former pro from the Premier League (Adrian Heath) who spent time at Everton, Stoke and Man City. The minority owner was a longtime board member at Stoke City as well -- there was some level of partnership between the clubs but I think it was mostly just a verbal thing.

Cheers Guys!

I wouldnt travel to a specific city to see an MLS team, Id plan a trip to a city and see the team while youre there.

So if you go to NYC, the Red Bulls are easy to each via transit. Seattle, also, and DC. DC and NYC also have the best stadiums in MLS.

Philly and Boston are great to visit, but the stadiums are not easy to get to.

You wouldnt want to visit Kansas, Dallas, Columbus etc anyway.

Esch

Banned
I wouldnt travel to a specific city to see an MLS team, Id plan a trip to a city and see the team while youre there.

So if you go to NYC, the Red Bulls are easy to each via transit. Seattle, also, and DC. DC and NYC also have the best stadiums in MLS.

Tbh, I really like visiting KC a lot. nice city, great people, wouldn't mind living there. But then again I'm a barbecue nut.

Dallas too.

Colombus though.....

Seattle and Portland seem like the best for someone coming from elsewhere.

Metro is great if you know the right person and go to the right game. If you don't have anyone to go with who can show you the ropes, it's a long train ride to an industrial wasteland with a Five Guys and a beautiful futbol stadium.

Cheers guys.

I have a family member who works for an airline so I get super cheap flights. So I'll probably fly out for a weekend and a game. It's what I've done for the European games so it'll probably be the same here. I'll try and work out where I want to go. Thanks again!

Dartastic

Cheers guys.

I have a family member who works for an airline so I get super cheap flights. So I'll probably fly out for a weekend and a game. It's what I've done for the European games so it'll probably be the same here. I'll try and work out where I want to go. Thanks again!
Yeah, it really depends on where you want to visit the most. Personally, if you're a huge footy guy I'd try and catch two games; one game in Portland and one in Seattle. They're only like 2 1/2 hours apart by train, so you can definitely figure out a way to catch a game at both places. As far as Portland goes, try and get a GA seat in the Timbers Army, the local support group. Additionally, we have one of the best public transit systems in the country so you won't really have to worry too much about getting around. Where are you going to be visiting from?

Also, sometimes we do some cool shit.

- Jeff Carlisle @ ESPN: MLS, players union agree on minor issues in CBA talks, source says
The negotiations between MLS and the MLS Players Union on a new collective bargaining agreement continue to inch along, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The two sides met in New York City this week with a federal mediator present, and according to the source were able to find agreement on minor issues such as moving expenses when players switch teams as well as compensation for public appearances. This latter item includes charitable appearances as well as those on behalf of MLS and its clubs.

The source added that there was no movement on the big issues of player compensation and free agency, but that is consistent with what Columbus Crew defender Michael Parkhurst told ESPN FC via text message last Sunday. Parkhurst wrote that the two sides would focus on smaller issues this week and then attempt to tackle the major items in the last two weeks before the start of the season.

Out of those two issues, free agency remains the biggest stumbling block, with several players indicating that the MLSPU is prepared to go on strike if the issue isn't resolved.

The previous CBA expired on Jan. 31, but the aim now is to reach an agreement before the start of the MLS regular season on March 6.

Yeah, it really depends on where you want to visit the most. Personally, if you're a huge footy guy I'd try and catch two games; one game in Portland and one in Seattle. They're only like 2 1/2 hours apart by train, so you can definitely figure out a way to catch a game at both places. As far as Portland goes, try and get a GA seat in the Timbers Army, the local support group. Additionally, we have one of the best public transit systems in the country so you won't really have to worry too much about getting around. Where are you going to be visiting from?

from the UK. as I said I had tickets to go to a Toronto FC game with another GAF guy already in Canada but couldn't make it.

Yes thats a good idea. Also east to do on east coast.

Dartastic

from the UK. as I said I had tickets to go to a Toronto FC game with another GAF guy already in Canada but couldn't make it.
One of my friends from London visited a Timbers game with me last year, he had an absolute blast. Where in the UK you from? I lived in Sheffield for a year a while ago.

xbhaskarx

Dallas officially added Michael Barrios and Philly Fernando Aristeguieta.

Most teams are probably through making big moves, aside from maybe Colorado and Montreal as both have publicly talked about adding DPs...

I'm a little confused by the LA Galaxy not adding another midfielder. They lost Donovan and Sarvas, and they have Gerrard coming mid-season, but they didn't get Kljestan... so are they really going with two bench players starting in their midfield for half the year?

Fox318

Avaya Stadium to host World Rugby Pacific Nations Cup

USA_Rugby.jpg

They talked about eventually starting up a rugby team and a women's soccer team to fill dates at the new stadium, so hosting this event will test the local demand for rugby...
I'm not really interested in rugby but if they're serious and this means women's soccer comes to the bay area that would be great.

In other news, they finally put in the goals and lines, and people are speculating that the field is 75 yards wide even though Kinnear preferred 70 in Houston

I can't wait to see what that stadium looks like with fans in it.

First pre-season game is the 28th right?

xbhaskarx

^ Yeah, next Saturday. Soft opening with just 10k tickets available vs the Galaxy.

Why doesn't this guy have an MLS contract yet?
Because Ibarra is under contract with Minnesota United and they're not just going to give him away for nothing. Minnesota just re-signed Christian Ramirez as well, who imo is even better than Ibarra. I don't think MLS has ever paid a transfer fee for a lower division player, but even if they wanted to, the other side has to accept. Minnesota's owner is a billionaire, how much would it take to pry away the PR coup of having a guy who has been called into multiple national team camps from them? Almost certainly far more than he's worth. The best hope of him joining MLS is Minnesota United being awarded the expansion team there.

Fox318

^ Yeah, next Saturday. Soft opening with just 10k tickets available vs the Galaxy.

Because Ibarra is under contract with Minnesota United and they're not just going to give him away for nothing. Minnesota just re-signed Christian Ramirez as well, who imo is even better than Ibarra. I don't think MLS has ever paid a transfer fee for a lower division player, but even if they wanted to, the other side has to accept. Minnesota's owner is a billionaire, how much would it take to pry away the PR coup of having a guy who has been called into multiple national team camps from them? Almost certainly far more than he's worth. The best hope of him joining MLS is Minnesota United being awarded the expansion team there.
If its anything like Red Bull's stadium it should be amazing.

I'd like 2 things to change in the MLS:

- Higher base/minimum salary.

Not $600,000 like the NHL (the 'smallest' of the big 4 NA pro leagues), but something like $60,000 or $80,000. At least make it so that these guys don't have to work off-season jobs to have a decent life and support a family.

- More DPs

6 per team.

Osorio

I'd like 2 things to change in the MLS:

- Higher base/minimum salary.

Not $600,000 like the NHL (the 'smallest' of the big 4 NA pro leagues), but something like $60,000 or $80,000. At least make it so that these guys don't have to work off-season jobs to have a decent life and support a family.

- More DPs

6 per team.

One of your suggestions would ruin the other. The revenue isn't quite there yet to have both.

Except there is Kansas City, Kansas.

also found this

http://kansascityisinmissouri.com/#/

Well, sure, there's also a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I'm saying the "why would you want to go to Kansas" stigma shouldn't apply to Kansas City.

Like, if I heard somebody say "ugh, I have to spend a week in Illinois, I'll be so bored", I'd assume they didn't mean they're going to be in Chicago. I'm not talking actual geography.

xbhaskarx

Bonus Points: Using some Moneyball to make your fantasy picks

Midfielders
Player 2014 Pts per 90 min. 2015 cost PP90/$
Luis Silva - DC 9.04 8.5 1.06
Mauro Diaz - DAL 7.33 9.0 .81
Ethan Finlay - CLB 6.51 8.0 .81
Harry Shipp - CHI 6.03 7.5 .80

When they weren't sidelined with injuries, Silva and Diaz shredded defenses to the tune of 7-9 points per match. Finlay and Shipp both saw significant salary increases in fantasy this year, but should still be well worth the money.

Eligible for the US national team: 3/4
Called in to January camp by Klinsmann: 0/4
all between the ages of 23-25 too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom