• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm assuming 95% of the "new" posters are being disingenuous:

Football |OT| locked. Apparently the best way to show you can get what you want back in a timely and orderly fashion is to shit up other threads. Learn something new everyday.

Would be cool to get some new faces here too. Shame.

Also in for some fantasy, though I've never done it before.

KidJr

That pic of the Chelsea supporter with farag is front page news on the evening standard.

MLS gaf in all seriousness if football gaf presence here upsets you Id happily vacate. Not trying to be a douche at all nor are we trying f*ck up your thread.

Also a lot of what is said is in banter, a very dry form
Sense of humour so to speak.

Dartastic

what I'd give to have Alex on my soccer team....
But she is on one of my teams, the Portland Thorns. :p
It's possible they could try and get Liverpool to be the opponent for the MLS All-Star game but it'd be here in the US. It was Bayern last year (and Pep got piissssseeedd).
I was at that game. It was pretty great to see MLS beat Bayern, especially as the winning goal came from a Valeri/Donovan combo.

Also, this thread got pretty amusing pretty fast. Haha.

TeegsD

Friendlies really mean absolutely nothing. City lost two South African teams in the friendlies before the 13/14 season and then of course won a double.

Wow, that fucking blows about the other thread. 3 months. :( And the damn MLS might not even start next month to make this thread a good place to converse about those games! Argh!

Wait, what?? I haven't heard anything of the season not starting when its supposed to, dafuq

MLS gaf in all seriousness if football gaf presence here upsets you Id happily vacate. Not trying to be a douche at all nor are we trying f*ck up your thread.

Also a lot of what is said is in banter, a very dry form
Sense of humour so to speak.

Nah you guys are good, just don't wanna see the thread get locked cuz the initial influx of posters turned it into footy gaf lite even if it was banter.

that said join the fun. The more the merrier. we play during the summer so there's soccer year round for us which is great. It's a fun scrappy little league.

Askani

Wait, what?? I haven't heard anything of the season not starting when its supposed to, dafuq

There is a very high probability of the players striking. They need to work out a new labor agreement in the next two weeks or so.

I was reminded too that there was a potential lockout/strike for the 2010 season and that contract was finished like 3 days before the start of the season. I'm assuming this will go down to the wire as well. The big time players won't care as much but the guys making the league minimum and going to feel it bad and raise hell.

xbhaskarx

Man I'm having trouble selecting players... it's tougher with all new teams, plus there is way more roster churn than usual with the dispersal draft and expansion draft. Like who is the starting goalkeeper for NYC, Meara or Saunders? For Colorado is it Irwin or MacMath? For Dallas is it Seitz or Kennedy?

Oh and Giovinco and Kaka are both $11 in case anyone was wondering...

xbhaskarx

I thought Women's MLS shut up shop a while back?

Portland is in NWSL.
There has never been a women's league affiliated with MLS, although the Portland Thorns are owned by the owner of the Timbers.
The previous league (WPS) they pretty much disbanded to get rid of one awful owner and then reformed as NWSL:

In 2011, Borislow bought Women's Professional Soccer franchise Washington Freedom, moved it to South Florida, and renamed it magicJack.[23] Some magicJack players and the WPS players union filed a grievance with the league for violations of the Standard Player Contract Provision, the FIFA Code of Ethics, WPS Media Policy and U.S. Soccer Federation Coaching Requirements.[24]

As a response to ongoing conflicts with Borislow, in June WPS moved to exercise its right to terminate his franchise at the end of the season for breach of contractual obligations. Borislow subsequently filed an injunction that would force the league into arbitration rather than settling the matter with the league’s Board of Governors. The team was disbanded on October 28, 2011.[25] The ongoing legal battle with the WPS led to the cancelling of the 2012 season for "pending legal issues" on January 1, 2012.[26]

Hi folks, I'm catching up on some of the thread from the last few days, and I just wanted to post a gentle reminder of this note from the end of the previous Football Thread:
That being said, what's the future of the footie community here on NeoGAF?

The thread will be banned indefinitely, and this status will be reevaluated three months from now. Anyone attempting to invade another thread to migrate the community to, or creating a stealth or offshoot official thread for the same purpose, will be permed on the spot, and such measures will be taken into account when deciding whether to re-open discussion in three months. The footie-gaf community has consistently demonstrated hostility toward the moderation team and an inability to follow the rules. Apologies to those who weren't part of the drama who have now lost their home.

Also note, footie-gaf threads in the off-topic forum that would normally be acceptable, like league final OTs, will not be allowed during this period.
Please continue to use this thread for American Soccer as described in the OP of this thread. Note that moderation in this thread will probably be a little more stringent in the near term based on what happened this morning. If you have questions or would like to discuss moderation, please use PMs to do so. I'm not around as much as I have been in the past, but I'll try to respond when I can. Let's get back on track with the usual MLS and USMNT chatter. Go Quakes.

xbhaskarx

If anyone who is new here actually wants to discuss MLS, the US national team, or any other aspect of American soccer feel free to do so, though...

KidJr

Hi folks, I'm catching up on some of the thread from the last few days, and I just wanted to post a gentle reminder of this note from the end of the previous Football Thread:please continue to use this thread for American Soccer as described in the OP of this thread. Note that moderation in this thread will probably be a little more stringent in the near term based on what happened this morning. If you have questions or would like to discuss moderation, please use PMs to do so. I'm not around as much as I have been in the past, but I'll try to respond when I can. Let's get back on track with the usual MLS and USMNT chatter. Go Quakes.

Shit_just_got_real.jpg

I saw someone mention something to this effect on Twitter, but I wouldn't mind trying out a draft-style fantasy league like in the other sports.

Would certainly make things interesting

Linius

I find it a bit disappointing that talking about European football is banned as a whole. But talking about football in the States is okay.

Can I open a thread about the J-League Cornballer? This whole situation is confusing as can be.

xbhaskarx

Here is the MLS schedule showing double weeks and byes, for fantasy purposes

I saw someone mention something to this effect on Twitter, but I wouldn't mind trying out a draft-style fantasy league like in the other sports.

Would certainly make things interesting

They had that like 4-5 years ago, I really wish they'd bring it back...

Fox318

Here is the MLS schedule showing double weeks and byes, for fantasy purposes

They had that like 4-5 years ago, I really wish they'd bring it back...

I really hope they make a show out of the Red Bull at NYCFC game in june.

I still am really curious what Yankee stadium is gonna be like for a game.

besada

Banned
I find it a bit disappointing that talking about European football is banned as a whole. But talking about football in the States is okay.

Can I open a thread about the J-League Cornballer? This whole situation is confusing as can be.

Please address any questions regarding the closure of the thread or creation of new threads directly to a moderator via PM.

FootballFan

Read his post. Pm him your questions.

This is the usa/MLS thread mate.

Edit
Nevermind someone said it already

TeegsD

Thanks for all the info xbhaskarx. I know I signed up for MLS footy fantasy a few years back but didnt keep up but Im a new man these days and totally down for it. Though, shouldn't the invitation code be put in email tags? Or are things on this side of the community forum a bit more relaxed?

Now that I'm in WA, I'd love to join Seattle-GAF for some Sounder games whether live or just in town!

dc89

Good evening,

Just wanted to clarify my post earlier about supporting NYCFC. I'm a Manchester City fan, but when we announced a MLS franchise I was genuinely interested in getting into MLS and supporting NYCFC as almost a second team. So yes, I will be posting here and yes it will be genuine.

Looking forward to NYCFC kicking off in just a few weeks time! Has it been decided yet if the game is going to be on UK or US TV at all? I should hope so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good evening,

Just wanted to clarify my post earlier about supporting NYCFC. I'm a Manchester City fan, but when we announced a MLS franchise I was genuinely interested in getting into MLS and supporting NYCFC as almost a second team. So yes, I will be posting here and yes it will be genuine.

Looking forward to NYCFC kicking off in just a few weeks time! Has it been decided yet if the game is going to be on UK or US TV at all? I should hope so.

US TV is getting it since it's a pretty big game, two new teams are facing off. It's David Villa vs Kaka dude.

ZZMitch

Lol I was a bit surprised when I clicked on the thread today and had to go back 3 pages to read everything. Glad Cornballer could work it out!

So how does MLS Fantasy work? I'm on vacation right now so I don't have to too much time to look into it and stuff but will definitely be interested in joining the league when I get back.

TeegsD

So, can someone explain this potential players strike a bit? Why is something like this being determined so close to the supposed season kick off? I'm assuming this has been going back and forth a lot if thats the case...

Have the players just been demanding more money?

Labadal

So, can someone explain this potential players strike a bit? Why is something like this being determined so close to the supposed season kick off? I'm assuming this has been going back and forth a lot if thats the case...

Doesn't this also happen in the NBA and NHL? I remember the NHL lockouts a few years back. Maybe this is the same deal?

3Sixty

Good evening,

I'm am also legit interested in following the MLS's lord and saviour Guly Do Prado

Askani

The current CBA ended in January. Part of the big issue for the players is they want a true free agency market which they don't have now. Where MLS is different than other leagues is the league is one entity and owns all the players contracts. The contracts are not owned by the teams. You want to have a new franchise in MLS, you pay a fee to the league. You're essentially buying yourself into the league. It gives the league more money and you join the other owners in one unit to help share the load of financial burdens. In the beginning this gave the league a stability it otherwise wouldn't have had. As it is now, the league has a say in where players go and what teams they play for even if that player doesn't want to play for that team.

While I do think it was a good thing in the beginning, now it's kind of a relic whose time has passed. And it's time for the players to get some rights. The other issue is salary caps and raising the league minimum. I'm fairly certain the league is open to both of these items, but they are probably not going to budge on free agency.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The players want a higher salary cap and free agency, among other smaller things, and the owners don't want to give them free agency. We don't really know any of the other details because the negotiations are on-going. It's happening now because this is when the last agreement expired.

jtb

Banned
are all American players unionized? I really like that. better for the players to organize than to have to rely on fucking FIFA to look after their interests.

I guess I'll get back into MLS. Been to a couple Sounders games, though the last one I went to was Clint's first game, against Portland, which was a while ago now. are they still good? remember hearing some talk they might fire Sigi last season? or maybe it was the season before last.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
are all American players unionized? I really like that. better for the players to organize than to have to rely on fucking FIFA to look after their interests.

I guess I'll get back into MLS. Been to a couple Sounders games, though the last one I went to was Clint's first game, against Portland, which was a while ago now. are they still good? remember hearing some talk they might fire Sigi last season? or maybe it was the season before last.

They should have fired him awhile ago.

TeegsD

Guys, simmer down, Sigi is fine for now.

Anyways, I agree with you, Askani, that model is a bit archaic now that the league has shown its got a viable market and is continuing to grow. Didnt know the free agency thing, that seems like a bit of bullshit

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm more excited about the Mets than Metro

Dat pitching rotation

The Mets always look good at this point, they'll screw it up somehow by the summer. It'll be injuries, dumb trades, bad form or all three at once. The Mets falling apart is how you know summer has finally come. That said, I still, somehow, have hope that this will be our year.

Osorio

The Mets always look good at this point, they'll screw it up somehow by the summer. It'll be injuries, dumb trades, bad form or all three at once. The Mets falling apart is how you know summer has finally come. That said, I still, somehow, have hope that this will be our year.

How is that any different from Metro? The mid-summer implosion goes like clockwork. However, under Mike Petke Metro's managed to pull off winning streaks from late August to the end of the season.

Not expecting the Mets to make the playoffs but they should be fun to watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How is that any different from Metro? The mid-summer implosion goes like clockwork. However, under Mike Petke Metro's managed to pull off winning streaks from late August to the end of the season.

Not expecting the Mets to make the playoffs but they should be fun to watch.

It's not really any different other than the late season winning streak Metro fans have gotten the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom