• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

From one of our local newspaper writers:

On the new contract:
Sam McDowell @SamMcDowell11 · 37m
I asked Jake Peterson (Sporting KC player rep) on the chances of a new CBA being reached before the season: "I'm not optimistic."​

On fitness:
Sam McDowell @SamMcDowell11 · 1h
Talked with Besler for a bit on the fitness topic. "For me, fitness is not an issue." I'll have more later. Some good stuff...

Sam McDowell @SamMcDowell11 · 16m
Vermes on fitness comments from Klinsmann: "To expect those guys to be in top shape -- and I mean this -- I think it's utterly ridiculous."

Sam McDowell @SamMcDowell11 · 15m
Vermes' comment is in relation to the fact it was a Jan. camp, during the MLS offseason. Cited Zusi's injury as evidence for need for rest.​

Osorio

Joel Lindpere is in training with us.

Could be for fun, could be for a trial, but he's there.

I think he'd make a great sub. Can't play 90 minutes for shit, but he's great when on the field. Miss him dearly!

Askani

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article10080509.html

KC Star said:
A few days after Sporting Kansas City suffered a first-round playoff exit last October, its captain, Matt Besler, stood against the wall of the team’s training facility and assessed the most demanding year of his soccer career. He described the need for a multi-week break — his first in 22 months — before joining the United States men’s national team for its annual January camp.

Most of his national-team teammates took similar time away from the game following the MLS season. And that apparently didn’t sit well with national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

After a U.S. loss in Chile, Klinsmann criticized his players’ fitness levels, later adding that the team wasn’t physically prepared for the Jan. 28 match.

Besler returned to the Sporting KC training facility Friday for the first time since his latest stint with the national side, and he addressed the criticism.

“I think it’s unfortunate that a player has to answer questions about fitness,” Besler said. “I won’t say anything about his comments. He can say whatever he wants.”

Sporting KC coach Peter Vermes, a former member of the U.S. team for nearly a decade, was a bit more candid in his assessment of Klinsmann’s comments.

“To expect those guys to be in top form at a January camp — and I mean this — I think it’s utterly ridiculous,” Vermes said.

The annual camp started in the midst of an MLS offseason, after most players had battled through a 9- or 10-month regular season and playoff schedule.

Besler said he took three weeks off after Sporting KC was eliminated in the first round of the MLS season, then amped up a five-week training schedule.

“Personally, fitness is not an issue for me,” Besler said.

Two weeks before he departed for U.S. camp, Besler and Sporting KC fitness coach Mateus Manoel developed a more in-depth offseason training schedule designed to prepare him for another MLS season.

“My goal is to be in my peak fitness on March 1,” Besler said. “That’s when my season starts. It goes from March to December. So on Jan. 15, we devised an offseason plan for me to hit my peak fitness on March 1, and I think that’s what most of the guys did.

“If the expectation is different, that’s something that needs to be discussed so we know going into a camp where we need to be.”

Besler said his fitness numbers for the January camp — which are tested by the national team’s coaching staff — didn’t match where he was last June prior to the World Cup, but his plan was never devised to meet that goal.

Vermes further expressed the need for resting players, and he used Graham Zusi’s stress fracture in his foot as evidence for it. The injury is a product of overuse, the likely effect of Zusi playing in the World Cup, then rejoining Sporting KC without a break.

The stress fracture cost Zusi a spot on the national-team roster in January, and he still hasn’t fully rejoined Sporting KC’s training camp, though he says he’s close.

Vermes offered Zusi and Besler the option to take two weeks off following the World Cup last summer — citing his personal experience after the 1990 World Cup, when he felt a physical and mental break was required. That experience led to his refutation of Klinsmann’s assessment.

“Totally disagree with the comment,” Vermes said. “I have a lot of respect for Jurgen. Obviously he was a great player, and he’s done tremendous things as a coach, as well. But that doesn’t mean every time someone opens their mouth, they’re right. And I completely disagree.”

xbhaskarx

I think Wil Trapp's comment about the camp makes Klinsmann look far worse:

Trapp said he never had a “direct conversation” with Klinsmann about his positioning or where he was going to be playing.

What the hell is this guy doing besides fitness??

Trapp said he focused on what the coaches seemed to appreciate, and followed the lead of others.

“You take cues from training… if they’re applauding someone for doing this thing well while they’re playing the position, you just kind of absorb those things and build off of those things,” he said.

How about communicating more with the players (also known as "coaching") and less with the media...

Meier

I don't think it's fair to insinuate that Trapp and Klinsmann didn't have conversations during the camp -- that is not what he's said. He's talking specifically about where he played during the game. You essentially never, ever see a head coach/manager give instructions to a player when they're a substitute. The assistant(s) are responsible for telling them where to play and communicating instructions to them before they sub in. The coach is busy watching the game. No issue at all with that comment.

So on Jan. 15, we devised an offseason plan for me to hit my peak fitness on March 1, and I think that’s what most of the guys did.

This is the issue at hand in Jurgen's mind. 6-7 weeks is a typical break at the end of the season before English clubs are back in training. If SKC finished on October 28th, that would mean December 16th was 7 weeks from then. He didn't meet with his head trainer to devise a special training plan until January 15th? A full month later? It's pretty clear to see that there's a problem with that.

xbhaskarx

I don't think it's fair to insinuate that Trapp and Klinsmann didn't have conversations during the camp -- that is not what he's said. He's talking specifically about where he played during the game. You essentially never, ever see a head coach/manager give instructions to a player when they're a substitute. The assistant(s) are responsible for telling them where to play and communicating instructions to them before they sub in. The coach is busy watching the game. No issue at all with that comment.

I think it's clear Trapp's not talking about just the moment during the game when he was about to enter as a substitute, but about both the game and the camp itself, he specifically mentions training and says there was nothing direct just "following the lead of others" and "taking cues"....

Also, Klinsmann picks his assistants and is responsible for them. I think it's a bit ridiculous to interpret "Klinsmann" as just Klinsmann and not "Klinsmann and his coaching staff"... if Trapp had the necessary conversations with assistants about tactics and positioning, he probably wouldn't be mentioning it.

xbhaskarx

Christian Pulisic impresses after training with Borussia Dortmund first team

Christian Pulisic may be just 16 years old, but the American midfielder has already earned the praises of one of Europe’s most highly-regarded managers.

Pulisic, who has recently featured with the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team, was called into Borussia Dortmund’s first team training this week. The midfielder, who is part of a highly-praised wave of the club’s youth system, earned the praises of manager Jurgen Klopp following training this week.

“We were missing his position and that’s why we called him up,” Klopp said in a press conference. “He did a good job.

“Pulisic is part of that generation. He’s a great footballer, an attacking midfielder. He can kick the ball around really well. And in a very intense training session with narrow spaces, he did not stand out in a negative way. This is a real sign of quality.”

Currently, Pulisic is unable to participate in game action as he awaits his playing license from the German Football Association. Regardless, Klopp insists that he is going to bring Pulisic, and other youngsters like him, along slowly to maximize their development.

“That’s important for their development,” Klopp said. “That might not be possible everywhere — as you can see with [Martin] Odegaard [at Real Madrid]. But we will do all we can to allow the lads the time they need in spite of the great talent and the great quality they already have.”

If I had to put my money on one American youth prospect making it I'd pick Pulisic...

Michael Farfan should be a good depth guy for us.

Yea I really liked him when he was with my Union. Hes got a lot of skill but was always played out of position or alongside someone who was awful enough to make him look bad as well. Hes a great MLS bench option and spot starter that still has potential to do more.

Askani

Not unless he thinks he can break into the national team.

He got his Green Card in 2012, so he's eligible for citizenship in 2017, and he just signed a contract extension. Now he also has a "North America" wife. He's also mentioned he's open to playing for the USMNT.

Askani

Also, I just got back from my first Indoor Soccer game in 25+ years. Missouri Comets wrecked Tulsa 21-4. A blowout was fun, but I kind of wish the game was a little closer to keep me into it more. I think they were 10-0 when Tulsa finally scored. That being said I still really enjoyed it. Even got to watch a Sporting KC alum score a goal.

Next game is the last so they are one away from a perfect regular season. Good stuff. I probably won't be back this year but I'll be there next year for sure.

Osorio

Jhon Kennedy Hurtado on trial with us

30 yrs. old, veteran in the league, possesses a green card

Why not?

Especially after Segakya announced his retirement the other day.

Meier

For the record, that leaked 2015 away kit from some time back was confirmed. It will go on sale later this week apparently.

B9-ZEn8IgAAq1sP.jpg

https://twitter.com/ussoccer_wnt/status/567340383378878464

xbhaskarx

MLS players want free agency; MLS owners don’t. Faced with a standoff, history says the league won’t blink first

Unlike any of the leagues, in the U.S. or abroad, that it hopes one day to compete with, Major League Soccer, L.L.C., is not a joint venture between independent owners but a single corporation, its clubs not franchises but wholly-owned subsidiaries run by “investor-operators.”
For MLS owners, however, single-entity grants the league immunity from an antitrust suit like the one players brought in Fraser v. Major League Soccer. A pro sports league, by its very nature, creates a monopsony—a market in which many sellers (the players) must offer their services to a single buyer (the league)—and therefore risks running afoul of laws designed to prevent anti-competitive business practices. Major League Baseball, with its long history and political clout, was famously held to be exempt from antitrust laws in a 1922 Supreme Court decision. In other American sports, the collective bargaining process is not subject to such laws, but players always have the option to dissolve their union and file an antitrust suit against the league, as NFL players did in 2011.

None of this, however, applies to MLS, as long as its single-entity defense—what sports law expert Gabe Feldman calls the “holy grail” of antitrust immunity—holds water. Legally speaking, a corporation can’t conspire or collude with itself, and the players’ claim in Fraser v. MLS that the league is merely a “sham” corporation didn’t pass muster in court. After their six-year journey through the federal court system ended in defeat in 2002, the players accepted the league as a single-entity and voted to form a union.

The league contends that free agency could lead to out-of-control salary costs and hinder its ability to compete on the global transfer market, but its real concerns likely have to do with the battle that began in a Boston courtroom nearly twenty years ago. Since the Fraser ruling, it’s grown increasingly difficult to view the league as a single, unified organism, and not what it really is: a league like any other, composed of various constituent parts with diverse and at times conflicting interests.
Throw in free agency, with clubs bidding against one another for talent on the open market, and it becomes nearly impossible to consider MLS a single-entity. In the event of future antitrust litigation, the league’s single-entity defense might fall apart, and MLS players would gain the additional leverage of the so-called “nuclear option” to decertify their union and sue the league in court. Even other leagues, like the ambitious NASL, might sense an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of baseball’s Federal League and challenge MLS’ division-one status with an antitrust lawsuit.

All of this—rather than salary costs or international recruitment—is almost certainly what is on the league’s mind as it continues to oppose any and all forms of free agency, no matter how limited. Rightly or wrongly, Garber and other league executives see unrestricted player movement as a Pandora’s box they don’t want to open, a possible existential threat to the league’s foundation. In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel two weeks ago, Garber mostly deflected a question about single-entity, but acknowledged that a lack of free agency is “a key aspect of our entire system.”

KingGondo

Banned
My local USL club (OKC Energy FC) playing Toronto FC right now, and Bradley, Altidore and Giovinco are playing.

Good test for us. 34th minute and still scoreless.

KidJr

Part of me really does feel homeless.

I wonder if this how *Tottenham will feel for the next few years.

*Tottenham are a soccer club based in North London who going to be doing some work on there stadium so hence my referencing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom