• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

Cool tifo, too:

3lRL0Lo.jpg

Very cool!

In an interesting, and curious move. ..looks like usmnt #2 Martin Vasquez is being replaced and reassigned....per grant Wahl

Grant Wahl said:
USMNT assistant Martín Vásquez being reassigned within USSF. Berti Vogts hired as adviser, Tab Ramos working with senior team.

No idea what this means.

Edit: doh! Beaten

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I'm more shocked it took New York so long to get that goal. I was in the stadium and it was like every time the ball went near the goal everyone was on their feet.

There was also what looked like a disallowed goal, what was up with that? It went in and wasn't counted, they didn't really say anything over the loudspeakers so what happened with that one?

Foul called when someone bumped into the GK. Everyone in my area was very confused.

I'm more shocked it took New York so long to get that goal. I was in the stadium and it was like every time the ball went near the goal everyone was on their feet.

There was also what looked like a disallowed goal, what was up with that? It went in and wasn't counted, they didn't really say anything over the loudspeakers so what happened with that one?

BWP went into the goalie (I don't remember if it was a header attempt or not) as he was going up for a ball, which knocked it loose, leading to that disallowed goal.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I know this is simplifying things but why would a team that just won the Supporters Shield want an expensive defender that Toronto is looking to dump? Makes no sense aside from the fact that he's European and NYRB loves those guys...

If Holgersson or Barklage were let go because of "high salaries" and we find out that Armando and/or Eckersley are making the same amount or more, so fucking help me.

daoster

Here's the Press Release from USSoccer.

Klinsmann Appoints Former World Cup Champion Berti Vogts as U.S. MNT Special Advisor

CHICAGO (March 30, 2014) – U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has appointed former World Cup winner Berti Vogts to be a Special Advisor to the U.S. Men’s National Team from now through the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

A part of the Germany team that won the 1974 FIFA World Cup, Vogts brings a tremendous track record of success to the National Team. Having coached the squad to the 1996 European Championship – on which Klinsmann was a player – he is the last head coach to lead Germany to a trophy.

“We are absolutely thrilled to have Berti join us as an advisor,” said Klinsmann. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience, both as a player and a coach, and he knows what it takes to succeed at the highest level. He was my coach for Germany in the 1990s and we have a great relationship. Through his time as the head coach of Scotland, Nigeria and Azerbaijan, he is obviously very familiar with our opponents in the group stage of the World Cup, and for us this is a huge bonus.”

In his role as Special Advisor, Vogts will aid in the development of training plans, help prepare scouting reports, and travel to observe matches of the USA’s opponents in the lead-up to the tournament and in Brazil.

Along with the announcement of Vogts, Klinsmann has added U.S. Soccer Youth Technical Director and Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos to the coaching staff and is transitioning Martin Vasquez to other responsibilities within U.S. Soccer.

“As we move toward the World Cup, we are shifting some responsibilities within the technical staff that we believe will put individuals in areas of strength and provide us with the best opportunity to be successful,” said Klinsmann.

Vogts earned 96 caps for Germany, playing a total of 19 matches spanning three World Cups. Nicknamed “Der Terrier,” he famously marked Dutch legend Johan Cruyff in the 1974 World Cup final that Germany won 2-1 in Munich. He served as team captain from 1977-79, taking over for Franz Beckenbauer.

During a 14-year professional career in which he was twice named Germany Footballer of the Year, Vogts was an integral part of the Borussia Moenchengladbach squad that won five Bundesliga titles (1969-70, 1970-71, 1974-75, 1975-76, 1976-77) and two UEFA Cups (1974-75, 1978-79).

Vogts coached Germany from 1990-98, compiling a record of 66-12-24. In addition to the title in 1996, he had a second-place finish in the 1992 European Championship and led Germany to the quarterfinals in consecutive World Cups in 1994 and 1998.

Having coached the national teams of Scotland (2002-04) and Nigeria (2007-08), he has served as the manager for Azerbaijan since April of 2008 and will continue in that role.

- See more at: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-n...0330-mnt-adds-vogts.aspx#sthash.quIWv41O.dpuf

UncleO

New look same old result
If they are going to be a serious playoff team dropping point at home when up a man is unacceptable. Funny how after they scored the goal it got cold and windy all of a sudden.
20140329_171059_zpsspsi6bla.jpg

Askani

Mechak Jerome has been waived by SKC. Surprised, but can't say I'm sad about it.

That's three open roster spots now. We've got strong hints about one signing, but two more are still up in the air.

EDIT :::::

Surprised is too strong a word. I think Ellis will be the better player in the long run, and he's still 2nd behind Myers.

- ESPNFC: Vogts in, Vasquez out as Klinsmann reshuffles
Klinsmann added that the players were “full of appreciation” for the job that Vasquez did, but in talking to sources familiar with the U.S. program, there were widely differing views on Vasquez’s job performance.

“I did appreciate [Vasquez’s] work,” said U.S. international forward Herculez Gomez via text message. “He did a lot for many of us. [He was] very up front and honest. As a player, you want and need that, so I honestly have no complaints.”

But not everyone shared Gomez’s views. One source familiar with the U.S. program, who asked not to be identified, stated that Vasquez was far too vague in his instructions to players, and didn’t provide enough of a tactical counterweight to Klinsmann’s strength as a man-manager and motivator.

“[Vasquez] just isn’t very good,” said the source. “He has no idea what he’s doing.”

The lack of tactical expertise has long been the criticism of the Klinsmann/Vasquez partnership, going back to the duo’s time at Bayern Munich. Germany international Philipp Lahm related in his book, “The Fine Difference -- How to Become a Top Player Today”, how under Klinsmann and Vasquez, the Bayern players had to sort out the team’s tactical approach themselves.
- SI: Klinsmann: Vásquez reassignment is ‘simply a professional shift’

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Sounds like Puebla isn't going to release Beasley and Orozco. There will be no replacements to the USMNT roster.

Puebla's not obligated to hand them out for a measly friendly. If it was a FIFA date then they would've released them but since its not a fifa sanctioned friendly, then no beasley nor orozco for JG.

The article I read that compared it to a Bomb Pop is fairly spot on.

I contend it looks way too much like a Puerto Rico or Cuba kit, the blue is all wrong, and holy crap tone down the red. I was possibly in cause I didn't love the white, but, think after seeing this, I'll pass.

Meier

I like it, personally. Especially with the red shorts and socks.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ngm_rPlnFkE/Uzq5r4TzjBI/AAAAAAAAONs/kn6e3xshHIM/s600/USA+2014+World+Cup+Away+Kit+(1).jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I actually do as well. And agreed on the red shorts and red socks combo with it -- looks pretty damn good IMO. I think the color of the blue even made the crest look palatable even though I'd of course still prefer the centennial version of it.

Landon is just following in the footsteps of another former Everton player (Wazza).

xbhaskarx

GrantWahl
The US has bought more World Cup tickets than any other country outside host Brazil, and it's not even close

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/news/newsid=2312651/index.html

Across all general public sales phases, 1,591,435 tickets have been allocated to supporters: 65% to Brazilians and 35% to international fans. Brazil remains the country with the most tickets assigned (1,041,418 so far), followed by the USA (154,412 tickets), Australia (40,681), England (38,043) and Colombia (33,126).

xbhaskarx

Vermes confirms Julião and Muñoz in camp with Sporting KC

Julião is the Brazilian defender from Fluminense that has been linked with Sporting KC for a few weeks now and just happened to show up in Kansas City yesterday. The 19 year-old right back appears to be the speedy outside back that can overlap the forwards and still get back on defense type of player that Vermes likes.

Muñoz is a midfielder out of UCLA but was originally in the Real Madrid system for several years and played for the Spain U-15, U-16 and U-17 National Teams. DC United traded an international slot to Montreal in order to draft Muñoz with the 29th overall pick but released him March 17th. Sporting KC has had him in camp at least since last week.

He wasn't good enough for the worst team in MLS so now he's joining the champions...

Osorio

Eckersley is out for a month

Cahill out 2-3 weeks

Kimura cleared to play on Saturday

Chris Duvall is probably going to be our backup in that spot.

Olave and Henry sitting out Saturday as well.

Petke will finally have to put some kids out there. I'm hoping to see Bover getting some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom