• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Duggan Targets Detroit For USL PRO
Michigan Bucks owner aiming for new franchise in 2015

Michigan Bucks owner Dan Duggan confirmed today that he has reached a preliminary agreement with USL PRO to bring a professional outdoor soccer team to the Detroit market starting in the 2015 season. The agreement (subject to league approval of the ownership group and stadium plan) represents the final chapter in the longtime local soccer executive's quest to bring a professional team and soccer-specific stadium to downtown Detroit, marking the first time professional outdoor soccer has been played in the city since 1968 when the Detroit Cougars hosted their games at Tiger Stadium.

Duggan, Chairman and CEO of the Michigan Bucks of the USL's PDL (one level below USL PRO) have been working with USL and MLS to try and bring professional soccer to Detroit for over a decade.

The Detroit native (raised in Livonia) has been working towards bringing a MLS team to Detroit since the league's inception and has been looking at launching the USL PRO team in the Detroit market for the past several seasons, but was held back due to a lack of a stadium deemed necessary to be an overwhelming success in the rabid Detroit sports marketplace. While exploring options in Pontiac, Livonia, Canton and other local areas to build a 5,000-seat stadium, Duggan decided to take the advice of the experts and turn his entire focus to downtown Detroit.

Duggan's vision for the soccer-specific stadium (which is actually a multi-purpose venue that could host concerts and other small-scale events) is a 5,000-seat stadium with open hills in the end zones that would enable 8,000 fans to be a part of the USL PRO experience in downtown Detroit. The stadium could be incorporated into an existing developed area or be a stand-alone project, depending on the neighborhood. Duggan estimates the land needed would be a minimum of 2.5 acres and as much as seven acres to develop two additional outdoor turf fields to accommodate the massive need for quality fields for youth soccer and adult leagues within the city limits.

Duggan plans to host a media conference this spring to roll out additional details about the team's USL PRO franchise plans, its MLS aspirations, international partner, and plans for a youth academy to complete the entire pyramid of soccer within the state of Michigan. Additional details will be released in the coming weeks.

xbhaskarx

U-17 roster:

U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Richie Williams has named a 22-player squad for the Josip Katalinski International Tournament that runs from April 3-6 in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina. Following the tournament, the team will also play two friendly matches against the Croatia U-17 national team in Zagreb, Croatia.

U.S. U-17 MNT SCHEDULE:
Josip Katalinski International Tournament:
April 3: U.S. U-17 MNT vs. Montenegro; Otoka Stadium
April 4: U.S. U-17 MNT vs. Sarajevo Select; Otoka Stadium
April 6: U.S. U-17 MNT vs. TBD (Placement Match); Grbavica Stadium

International Friendlies:
April 8: U.S. U-17 MNT vs. Croatia; Stadium SRC Zapresic (NK ​​Inter Zapresic)
April 10: U.S. U-17 MNT vs. Croatia; GNK Dinamo (Field No. 3)

U.S. U-17 MNT ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (2): William Pulisic (Richmond Strikers; Mechanicsville, Va.), Kevin Silva (PDA; Bethlehem, Pa.)

DEFENDERS (8): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls Academy; Wappingers Falls, N.Y.), Hugo Arellano (Chivas USA Academy; Norwalk, Calif.), Daniel Barbir (Unattached; Allentown, Pa.), Tanner Dieterich (TN Soccer Club; Nashville, Tenn.), Edwin Lara (De Anza Force; San Leandro, Calif.), John Nelson (Internationals; Medina, Ohio), Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls Academy; Trenton, N.J.), Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): George Braima (Crew Soccer Academy; Columbus, Ohio), Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal; Palmdale, Calif.), Luca de la Torre (Fulham; San Diego, Calif.), Thomas McCabe (PDA; South Orange, N.J.), Christian Pulisic (PA Classics; Hershey, Pa.), Alejandro Zendejas (FC Dallas Academy; El Paso, Texas)

FORWARDS (6): Pierre Da Silva (New York Soccer Club; Port Chester, N.Y.), McKinze Gaines (Lonestar SC; Austin, Texas), Joe Gallardo (Monterrey; San Diego, Calif.), Weston McKennie (FC Dallas Academy; Little Elm, Texas), Elijah Rice (Chicago Magic PSG; Highland Park, Ill.), Haji Wright (LA Galaxy Academy; Los Angeles, Calif.) )

- Greg Seltzer took a crack at a 23-man roster and a starting lineup for the US:

Howard, Guzan, Rimando
Cameron, Parkhurst
Goodson, Gonzalez, Onyewu
Besler
Johnson, Lichaj
Williams, Beckerman
Bradley, Jones
Zusi, Bedoya
Dempsey, Diskerud
Donovan, Beasley
Altidore, Jóhannsson

Last men cut: Ream (who goes into the 23 if Lichaj is slow to return from injury), Edu, Kljestan, Shea, Boyd. Next week, we could have a lot more to say about Green. Other than him, I am not sure the Mexico friendly will have much impact on this clipboard.
His lineup is: Howard; Cameron, Goodson, Besler, Johnson; Williams, Bradley; Zusi, Dempsey, Donovan; Altidore

Full explanation via the link.

Meier

Weird that they have Danny Barbir listed as "unattached" -- he didn't play terribly well in a game or two I watched of the Alkass Invitational but I didn't believe there was any sort of real possibility that they'd terminated his contract. They didn't, he's in Man City's academy still. He's a big kid, 6'3" or something already at like 15. Could be one of our best CBs in the future.. hopefully.

y3XZ69Rl.jpeg

Meier

So... anyone know of any 12/13 or 13/14 shirts (Waldo or Centennial) on sale on the web? I was hoping I'd get lucky with Kitbag but no such luck. WorldSoccerShop doesn't have them either.

daoster

I am REALLLLY excited for tonight's game. More so than the Ukraine game, really.

So many stories going on with this game, it's fucking gonna be awesome.

xbhaskarx

NASL Live streaming
https://secure.nasl.com/register

• Free trial until April 22nd to NASL Live repeating onto a monthly $4.99 pass unless cancelled
  • $4.99 : Monthly repeating pass to NASL Live for only $4.99
  • $29.99 : Season Pass for access to NASL Live for $29.99 until 11/30/2014

Not sure what this will mean for NASL when USL Pro is now streaming their games on Youtube for free...

xbhaskarx

Junior Flores Speaks on Time at Dortmund, Klinsmann

The team trains every day, sometimes more than once, and the level and intensity of training can vary depending on whether or not there is a game the next day. He evens gets to train on the famous Footbonaut – a unique training machine that spits balls at varying speeds at a player (or sets of players) in the middle. The machine is designed to enhance skill and awareness.

“There’s so much stuff you can do with it, it’s insane. We use it all the time. You have balls coming at you high, low, as fast as you want them to come, and at different angles. Sometimes we have competitions between players to see who can do better. You can control it through your iPhone, iPad, or a computer. It’s used as our training sometimes where we’ll (use) it on a Monday (instead of training outside).”

I wonder how much those cost... every team should have one.

xbhaskarx

Major League Soccer could consider Detroit team if mayor's brother's bold downtown plan succeeds

Dan Duggan, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan's younger brother, said Wednesday he's about "80 percent" confident a USL Professional Division team will play games in downtown Detroit starting March 2015 in a $5 million, 5,000-seat outdoor stadium.

And if that happens, this team - one that's currently nameless - would have a chance of being absorbed by the 19-team Major League Soccer (MLS) within the next five years or so, Duggan said.

"If you look around at the 14 teams that are in USL Pro, they got anywhere from nice parks and high school stadiums to soccer-specific stadiums," said Duggan, who recently signed a preliminary agreement with the USL. "But given that this is the Detroit market, and in my mind one of the ten major markets in the country for soccer, we're not going to do this in a high school stadium.

"We need a soccer-specific stadium."

CobbFC09

So for friendlies like the one tonight each team can wear whatever jersey they want, so long as it distinguishes them from the other team?

Reason I'm asking is because I just saw on Twitter that the U.S. was going to be wearing their new away kit.

So for friendlies like the one tonight each team can wear whatever jersey they want, so long as it distinguishes them from the other team?

Reason I'm asking is because I just saw on Twitter that the U.S. was going to be wearing their new away kit.
I think so. US is technically the home team, but I think Mexico is wearing green or black these days, so neither US kit is a problem.

Meier

I think so. US is technically the home team, but I think Mexico is wearing green or black these days, so neither US kit is a problem.

I think they saw just how indifferent people were to the home kit and therefore are going all out on this one since it's at least interesting. Gotta make that cheddar.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think they saw just how indifferent people were to the home kit and therefore are going all out on this one since it's at least interesting. Gotta make that cheddar.

Honestly I like the home kit better than the away. They're just both really bad and it's sad because I really want to like one enough to buy it.

Posted in the other thread but I picked up the US Away jersey today at Niketown (they were available to buy - both match & stadium versions). Colors are not as garish as the press photos and the dri-fit weave is super-soft.

Toothpick

Predictions for tonight? Some of my Mexico-supporting friends made a trip to the match today, so I don't really want to see Mex getting crushed lol.

I love the US v MEX rivalry though, hoping for an exciting match with the US finishing on top

Grant Wahl notes:
Klinsmann starting in a 4-4-2 for the first time I can remember. Think it's best set-up for Altidore when he'll be involved.

Donovan not starting is a head scratcher since he, Dempsey, and Bradley haven't played together a lot recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom