• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

NYCFC reserves are shit tier.

It's a super, super top heavy team. Both expansion teams are really wilting in the final 15-20 mins this season.

Man, the double weeks were AWFUL for me in fantasy.. Villa plays 45 mins, Jason Hernandez did the same. Aristeguieta scored no goals and Eric Ayuk Mbu only played 1 game. Ugh.

Cystm

It's a super, super top heavy team. Both expansion teams are really wilting in the final 15-20 mins this season.

Man, the double weeks were AWFUL for me in fantasy.. Villa plays 45 mins, Jason Hernandez did the same. Aristeguieta scored no goals and Eric Ayuk Mbu only played 1 game. Ugh.

Same. I am already so far back. This week was disappointing.

- Herzog Calls 20 Players for First Domestic U-23 MNT Camp of 2015
Roster By Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Cody Cropper (Southampton; Maple Grove, Minn.), Jon Kempin (San Antonio Scorpions; Leawood, Kan.)

DEFENDERS (8): Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps; East Palo Alto, Calif.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Alebrijes de Oaxaca; Riverside, Calif.), Boyd Okwuonu (Real Salt Lake; Edmund, Okla.), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif), Sam Strong (UC Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas; Lawrenceville, Ga.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes; Northville, Mich.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Daniel Metzger (New York Red Bulls II; Holmdel, N.J.)

FORWARDS (5): Alonso Hernandez (C.F. Monterrey; El Paso, Texas), Alfred Koroma Shams (Unattached; Southlake Carol, Texas), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Mario Rodriguez (Borussia Mönchengladbach; North Hollywood, Calif.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)
CHICAGO (April 20, 2015) – U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team head coach Andi Herzog has called 20 players to Carson, California, for the U-23’s first domestic training camp of 2015 as the team continues its preparations for qualifying for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The team will train from April 19-21 and then face Mexico’s U-23 National Team on Wed., April 22 at StubHub Center in Carson. The match will be broadcast live at 8 p.m. PT on UniMás and Univision Deportes Network.

Interesting article:

4 Games, 4 Days: This Is The State Of NYC Professional Soccer

It was a rare quirk in the MLS and NASL schedules: four NYC-area home games in four consecutive days. It was the perfect opportunity for a look at the situation of all three area teams, as well as an excuse for stunt journalism. Our lone soccer nut Dan Dickinson suffered through all four games; here are his thoughts.

http://gothamist.com/2015/04/20/4_games_4_days_a_look_at_the_state.php

xbhaskarx

USL standings... Sacramento back on top

11148724_826301834118985_8829769787121905507_n.jpg

The three Canadian teams with their 50% Canadian roster requirements have two wins between them...

xbhaskarx

Six MLSers on 20-player roster for USMNT Under-18 training camp in Bosnia and Herzegovina

US NATIONAL TEAM U-18 ROSTER:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (Irvine Strikers; Newport Beach, Calif.), Mason Stajduhar (Orlando City SC; Oviedo, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (6): Marcello Borges (New York Red Bulls; Kearny, N.J.), Kyle Duncan (New York Red Bulls; Brooklyn, N.Y.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Pablo Pelaez (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Tommy Redding (Orlando City SC; Oviedo, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Amir Bashti (San Jose Earthquakes; Cupertino, Calif.), Cameron Lindley (Chicago Fire; Carmel, Ind.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Chicago Magic; Libertyville, Ill.), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Ben Swanson (Columbus Crew SC; Grove City, Ohio), Jackson Yueill (Minnesota Thunder; Bloomington, Minn.), Eryk Williamson (D.C. United; Alexandria, Va.)

FORWARDS (5): Mukwelle Akale (Villarreal CF; Minneapolis, Minn), Coy Craft (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Brooks Lennon (RSL Arizona; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Christian Lucatero (Houston Dynamo; Pasadena, Texas), Victor Mansaray (Seattle Sounders; Des Moines, Wash.)

Meier

Tumbled down to 7th from 2nd in fantasy this week. An absolute nightmare of a week.. 26 points when the average was 40. Ugh ugh ugh. My double weeks were massive failures and then Javier Morales didn't play. Had an empty slot even after the auto subs.. nightmare fuel.

Mully

Interesting article:

4 Games, 4 Days: This Is The State Of NYC Professional Soccer

It was a rare quirk in the MLS and NASL schedules: four NYC-area home games in four consecutive days. It was the perfect opportunity for a look at the situation of all three area teams, as well as an excuse for stunt journalism. Our lone soccer nut Dan Dickinson suffered through all four games; here are his thoughts.

http://gothamist.com/2015/04/20/4_games_4_days_a_look_at_the_state.php

Thanks for the link.

The Cosmos should be set up with their own field on the Coliseum's land. That or give'em a place in Queens. The Cosmos need to make their play for the MLS while they have the money and the interest. I know that it's going to be difficult for them considering how many bridges they burned in 2013, but management can make a pretty convincing argument for a third NY team.

On the other hand, NYCFC should have waited one more year to shore up their roster and location. They could have gotten a soccer specific location, or at least a temporary location better than Yankee Stadium. I'd rather go to RFK to watch a game. Columbia comes to mind as a great temporary location. Talent wise, they have a pretty great 11, but they're severely lacking beyond their starters.

Finally we have the New York Energy Sodas. They've pissed their fans off one too many times. They have a great venue far away from NYC. They have a talented team with a fantastic midfield, but little fanfare for such a great team the last few years.

The problems that each team share are scarily similar: a major disconnect between fans and upper management, and accessibility. No team wants to make it easy for fans to come to their games or enjoy the game while they're inside each teams' stands. It's frustrating that RBNY, the Cosmos, and NYCFC can't understand their fans and a simple formula: Have an accessible location, a decent team, and a real foothold in the community.

Meier

Yankee Stadium is pretty damn accessible. I went to see Man City play Liverpool there last summer and it was insanely convenient. The stadium was great and my seats were perfect. It's not an ideal solution long term due to the season overlap but the venue itself is not bad at all for soccer.

They definitely need some help though as far as their roster is concerned. Think they should have taken another City youth player on loan -- if they could get Iheanacho that would be ideal.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The problems that each team share are scarily similar: a major disconnect between fans and upper management, and accessibility. No team wants to make it easy for fans to come to their games or enjoy the game while they're inside each teams' stands. It's frustrating that RBNY, the Cosmos, and NYCFC can't understand their fans and a simple formula: Have an accessible location, a decent team, and a real foothold in the community.

It's actually pretty easy to get to RB Arena once you're in Manhattan, just hop on the PATH and you're there. The problem is Red Bull itself, no one wants to support a team named for an energy drink. Red Bull just needs to rename the team, go back to the Metrostars, and stop fucking over the fans year in and year out.

It's actually pretty easy to get to RB Arena once you're in Manhattan, just hop on the PATH and you're there. The problem is Red Bull itself, no one wants to support a team named for an energy drink. Red Bull just needs to rename the team, go back to the Metrostars, and stop fucking over the fans year in and year out.

I've never met a single person in real life who has any issue with the red bull part of the name. Most people think metrostars was idiotic.

But you know what they DO hate? The New York part.

xbhaskarx

The decisive game of the Champions League finals is sold out

The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday that the decisive game of the Champions League finals against Mexico's Club América, set for Wednesday, April 29, at Olympic Stadium, will be played in front of a sellout crowd of 59,020.

Attendance will be the second highest total in club history, surpassing its previous Champions League mark from February 25, 2009, against Santos Laguna (55,571), as well as topping its inaugural MLS home opener on March 17, 2012, against the Chicago Fire (58,912).

All I hear is the opposite, do you live in Jersey?

Yes. They don't like a team in NJ pretending to be from NY.

"But the NFL does it!'

Yeah but the NFL could brand the teams as the "fuck your mom giants" and every game would still sell out.

Obviously the front office has the numbers of where the season ticket holders come from, but from my casual observation, I think a large amount of attendees are suburban new jersey families, not new yorkers.

Theres a lot of pride in the New Jersey Devils and there used to be a lot of pride in the New Jersey Nets.

The red bulls dont have the history where they can pretend theyre from another state.

Thats a lot of crying Canadians

Osorio

I dunno who you're meeting but nobody I know loves being "the Red Bulls"

Some people put up with it, but nobody loves it and nobody would cry if it was changed tomorrow. And if I did meet somebody who loved being a Red Bull I'd wonder wtf is wrong with them. Who likes being an ad? At least NYCFC fans can pretend they're not a farm team. Their club is actually about being in the city, and their logo doesn't remind you of a can of medicine drink when you go to your local Exxon.

Metrostars isn't great but nothing is worse than Red Bull.

I'd rather be the NJ Toll Trolls than be RBNY

I dunno who you're meeting but nobody I know loves being "the Red Bulls"

Some people put up with it, but nobody loves it and nobody would cry if it was changed tomorrow. And if I did meet somebody who loved being a Red Bull I'd wonder wtf is wrong with them. Who likes being an ad? At least NYCFC fans can pretend they're not a farm team. Their club is actually about being in the city, and their logo doesn't remind you of a can of medicine drink when you go to your local Exxon.

Metrostars isn't great but nothing is worse than Red Bull.

I'd rather be the NJ Toll Trolls than be RBNY

It sounds like youre talking to people in the stadium. People who have been a fan for a decade. They dont like the name? Thats all very well, but it quite frankly doesnt matter.

Im talking to people who go occasionally. People at the sports bar. People going to the devils games.

People who COULD go to more games, but dont really see the reason to, because its a New York team.

From the front office perspective, who should you do more for? The people who will bitch and moan and complain....but still come to every game and buy all your scarves regardless of what you do.... or the people who arent filling the empty seats?

You cant sell a season ticket to someone who already bought one. But you can sell 4 season tickets to the die hard NEW JERSEY devils fan who wants to watch sports in July.

That is, as long as you offer them a NEW JERSEY team.

Osorio

It sounds like youre talking to people in the stadium. People who have been a fan for a decade. They dont like the name? Thats all very well, but it quite frankly doesnt matter.

Im talking to people who go occasionally. People at the sports bar. People going to the devils games.

People who COULD go to more games, but dont really see the reason to, because its a New York team.

From the front office perspective, who should you do more for? The people who will bitch and moan and complain....but still come to every game and buy all your scarves regardless of what you do.... or the people who arent filling the empty seats?

You cant sell a season ticket to someone who already bought one. But you can sell 4 season tickets to the die hard NEW JERSEY devils fan who wants to watch sports in July.

That is, as long as you offer them a NEW JERSEY team.

So your solution is to change it to NJRB? Red Bull will never do that. So don't we all agree that the best solution is for Red Bull to sell?

Metro would sell more tickets than RBNY, NJ Whatevers would sell more seats than RBNY

RB is the problem.

So your solution is to change it to NJRB? Red Bull will never do that. So don't we all agree that the best solution is for Red Bull to sell?

Metro would sell more tickets than RBNY, NJ Whatevers would sell more seats than RBNY

RB is the problem.

No, RB is not the problem.

They built the best stadium in the league.

They payed for some fantastic players.

And yes, NJRB would sell more tickets than NYRB. A lot more.

My only problem with RB? The red bull beverage sold in the stadium should cost $1.

But sure, if you want to pretend that this was better...

150227115758-mls-empty-stadium-super-169.jpg

Osorio

Lol as if that wasn't a game played in heavy rain.

Come on son.

Clearly the stadium doesn't matter to the people going to NYCFC games. Yankee Stadium is even worse than Giants Stadium.

Lol as if that wasn't a game played in heavy rain.

Come on son.

Clearly the stadium doesn't matter to the people going to NYCFC games. Yankee Stadium is even worse than Giants Stadium.

Yankee stadium at least has subway access. It is also shiny and new. Games arent anywhere close to selling out though, and I guarantee we'll be seeing $7 tickets and <15,000 real world (not the reported) attendance before the season ends.

Giant stadium is in the middle of nowehere, had football lines in half the games, and sucked.

And yes, it was raining in that picture, but don't pretend scenes like that weren't common. Hell, you can still see it every October in New England!

Did the Metrostars have real plans for a real stadium? Of course not.

Without red bull, MLS in the NYC region would be taken as seriously as it is in Boston.

Osorio

Yankee stadium at least has subway access. It is also shiny and new. Games arent anywhere close to selling out though, and I guarantee we'll be seeing $7 tickets and <15,000 real world (not the reported) attendance before the season ends.

Giant stadium is in the middle of nowehere, had football lines in half the games, and sucked.

And yes, it was raining in that picture, but don't pretend scenes like that weren't common. Hell, you can still see it every October in New England!

Did the Metrostars have real plans for a real stadium? Of course not.

Without red bull, MLS in the NYC region would be taken as seriously as it is in Boston.

You really don't live in the real world.

You really don't live in the real world.

Tell me, whats your experience with MLS in Mass?

Because I lived there for 5 years. The revs got (and continue to get) about as much attention as the Cannons. The ownership is garbage. The stadium is garbage. The fan base is garbage. The Gold Cup was how theyd pump up attention, with a freaking triple header.

And in years without the Gold Cup? A Brazil friendly double header.

A whole lot like the Metrostars.

You should join the real world and realize that people hating on the red bull company is an extremely limited echo chamber.

To the average person, corporate ownership of the red bulls is as relevant as it is to the NFL. Youll note that in the early years, most teams were owned by a major corporation, such as the Staley Starch Company (Chicago) or the Frontier Oil company (Buffalo). Or still relevant, the Indian Packing Company (Packers)

Cystm

Chicago FC put together a highlight reel for Cuauhtemoc Blanco.

His last professional game was tonight in the Copa MX final. Puebla won it 4 - 2 over Chivas.

He has played for 23 years and played his last game at 42 years of age.

iNbjfbNljIOzC.png

Cubo got Chivas into the final with 2 goals in a 2 - 1 semi-final win.

Cubo did not play at all in the final according to the box scores.

Anyways.....Red Bull
shit
aside, how bad do you think the damage will be for the Impact in the CCL tomorrow night? I'll be watching on Fox Sports 2 but am expecting a horror show.

Anyways.....Red Bull
shit
aside, how bad do you think the damage will be for the Impact in the CCL tomorrow night? I'll be watching on Fox Sports 2 but am expecting a horror show.

Whats the betting line?

I mean, Id like to say that America will win 5-1, but quite frankly the way things have been going, Montreal might win 2-1.

Its the biggest toss up in CONCACAF history.

Chicago FC put together a highlight reel for Cuauhtemoc Blanco.

His last professional game was tonight in the Copa MX final. Puebla won it 4 - 2 over Chivas.

He has played for 23 years and played his last game at 42 years of age.
].

His reason for retirement is....special

Blanco announced on Feb. 11 that he would retire in order to run for mayor of the city of Cuernavaca for Mexico's Social Democrat Party (PSD).

Dude is a legend

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyways.....Red Bull
shit

I'll probably wind up watching it in a bar in Manhattan due to my hours today, but I think Montreal might be able to surprise us. I'm going with a 1-1 tie, if they can do that on the road then they've got a real shot at it.

I would take that result in a heartbeat. You guys who are predicting better than that I love your optimism but y'all crazy.

I figure my expectations are that they are outplayed for a majority of the game and sneak a goal in last minute. Anything more than that is great.

Shit dude, Montreal is made of fucking miracles for making it this far. No reason to think they've run out yet.

I really hope they can continue. Hopefully them purposely ignoring mls has allowed them time to continue to pray to saint garber to help continue this run.

- Galarcep: Surge in U.S. center back pool making Jones position change obsolete

The smart money will be on Klinsmann turning to those five for his starting center back options in June. If he does and they show well, then Klinsmann will be praised for giving them a chance. If he does and they falter, Klinsmann will likely turn to Jones again ahead of July’s Gold Cup. In that scenario, Klinsmann can take credit for being prudent enough to try the Jones-to-central-defense experiment a year earlier.

For now, the center back position is looking promising for Klinsmann. If youngsters like Alvarado and Brooks can continue to play well, and veterans like Gonzalez and Besler can hit their stride come the summer, then Jones just might get his wish — and the wish of many U.S. fans — that he stay patrolling the midfield this summer.

I wonder if Geoff Cameron has any role going forward. He's not getting called up or mentioned in any of the Gold Cup speculative posts, but he still seems like someone useful to have around for a number of different positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom