• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
- Galarcep: Surge in U.S. center back pool making Jones position change obsolete

I wonder if Geoff Cameron has any role going forward. He's not getting called up or mentioned in any of the Gold Cup speculative posts, but he still seems like someone useful to have around for a number of different positions.

There's a lot of young talent making the field pretty crowded, I wouldn't be too surprised if that's why we haven't heard about him in these talks. We've even stopped hearing about Jones as a CB, except in this article, for exactly that reason. I just wish Tim Ream wasn't on the outside looking in.

CDNfo-fWMAA6tBE.jpg:large

New home kit

xbhaskarx

"Last fall, Jurgen Klinsmann's decision to play Jermaine Jones at center back made sense."

That is nonsense. The position change was never about the need for a center back, it was always about that being the best shot for Jones to make the 2018 World Cup.

"The sight of Jones running around in central defense, missing assignments and occasionally wandering upfield as if he were still in midfielder mode left many U.S. fans uneasy about Klinsmann’s latest positional experiment, but you could certainly understand what he was trying to do."

No, you couldn't understand what Klinsmann was trying to do. Jones will be 36 1/2 by the 2018 World Cup, but Klinsmann loves him, so we get this completely unnecessary center back experiment with Jones taking up valuable minutes at that position.

At this point last cycle, guys like Besler weren't even on the radar and Gonzalez hadn't even been capped, forget John Brooks. Yet even before Ventura Alvarado we had (from the list I made after the last World Cup, with 2018 age):

Matt Besler 31
Geoff Cameron 32
Omar Gonzalez 29
John Anthony Brooks 25
Tim Ream 30
Matt Hedges 28
Shane O'Neill 24
Michael Orozco 32
Steve Birnbaum 27

Probably a half a dozen college kids and homegrowns will also come into the picture over the next few years. And there are already plenty of guys new to the league who are not really playing yet (Justin Glad, Conor Donovan, Tommy Redding, etc.). If Brooks came into the picture at 20, maybe Barbir or CCV or Miazga or EPB or some teenager we don't even know about yet will make the roster. All would make more sense than a 36 year old Jones out of position, at least to pretty much everyone but Klinsmann.

xbhaskarx

Insider Notes: Ronaldo prefers LA in '18; Seattle makes Morris new offer

You might recall my recent report that Cristiano Ronaldo’s current plan is to join an MLS team when his Real Madrid contract expires in 2018. Well, I’ve learned that Ronaldo has now decided the city where he wants to be: Los Angeles.

It could be the Galaxy or LAFC, and while talks have yet to take place between Ronaldo and any MLS teams, L.A. is Ronaldo’s preferred destination. Meanwhile, I’m told it’s looking more likely every day that LAFC won’t start play until 2018. That means we could see Ronaldo debut for a new team in a new stadium that year.

Keep in mind, too, that MLS commissioner Don Garber has already said if LAFC doesn’t start until 2018, Minnesota United, which MLS originally announced would begin play in 2018, would enter the league in 2017 with Atlanta.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't get all these crazy kits they have been going for lately. Our colors our red, white and blue. Use those. What is this with green socks? So random.

Nothing says USWNT like lime green socks

Maybe they're trying to blend in with the pitch?

Dartastic

I haven't seen much vitriol being thrown around for this Seattle v. Portland game. So I just want to throw out a good old, good-natured... FUCK YOU SEATTLE. FUCK. YOU.

Mully

They could wear a crying eagle jersey and I wouldn't care as long as they play well.

You know what? Make a fucking crying eagle jersey, that sounds fantastic.

I haven't seen much vitriol being thrown around for this Seattle v. Portland game. So I just want to throw out a good old, good-natured... FUCK YOU SEATTLE. FUCK. YOU.

Well Portland has been too sad this year to rib. Sounders have had better results but I don't think either fan base is brimming with confidence at the moment. That being sad... FUCK YOU TIMBERS AND FUCK YOUR SHIT HEEL TIMBER ARMY.

L.A.?! I was sure Ronaldo was going to want to jump on that Minnesota United train. #ComeOnYouLoons

xbhaskarx

Andrija Novakovich made his debut for Reading

While late scratch Daniel Williams sat out with a knock for Reading, the home fans got their first look at 18-year-old American striker Andrija Novakovich in the 81st minute.

Novakovich – who bagged his first goal for the Reading Under-21s this past weekend – only had time to complete both his passes and pick up a foul. The result lifted Birmingham to 13th place, while the Royals remained winless in seven league games down in 19th.

xbhaskarx

Montréal (4-2-3-1): Bush, Camara, Soumare, Ciman, Toia; Reo-Coker, Mallace; Romero, Piatti, Duka; Oduro #MLS #CCL #CCLonFOX

@CF_America Muñoz, Paul Aguilar, Pimentel, Aguilar, Samudio, Pellerano, Martínez, Sambueza, Quintero, Arroyo y Benedetto.

Dartastic

He deleted the tweet.

i8yy7mzKjoopH.png
Ooooof course he has.
Well Portland has been too sad this year to rib. Sounders have had better results but I don't think either fan base is brimming with confidence at the moment. That being sad... FUCK YOU TIMBERS AND FUCK YOUR SHIT HEEL TIMBER ARMY.
FUCK YOU TOO, YOU FISH SUCKING FLOUNDERS! I CAN'T WAIT TO TRAVEL UP TO SEATTLE AND WATCH YOU GUYS LOSE IN YOUR OWN HOUSE THIS WEEKEND. :p
Not a lot of point in flinging any more mud at you guys when you're already buried so deep, man.
...we're only one point behind the Flounders, and we're going to have Valeri and Will Johnson back (admittedly for limited minutes) for next week's game against Vancouver. That's a big boost for us.

xbhaskarx

Hilarious, first don't give the red card, then don't let Montreal take the corner kick...

Evan Ream @EvanReam 5m

In what way is that not a red card if it's a foul? Maybe it's not considered a clear goal scoring chance if it's Oduro?

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom