• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cystm

That shot off the cross bar...

giphy.gif

Im sorry but Montreal are so so so so damn lucky. They are just getting dominated the whole match.Refs or not the difference in quality of football between the two is Huge.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That was a fantastic result for Montreal. They should be very happy going home with ana way goal.

Of course, it is what I predicted

Leaving out a bit of that post are we? Let's see who really called it:

I'll probably wind up watching it in a bar in Manhattan due to my hours today, but I think Montreal might be able to surprise us. I'm going with a 1-1 tie, if they can do that on the road then they've got a real shot at it.

:p

I've got that ESPN power, tape delay and whatnot.

xbhaskarx

RSL were 1-1 after the first leg down to Monterrey in the 2011 final if I'm not mistaken...

xbhaskarx said:
Montreal scores first

America should be down to 10 after DOGSO

America should be down to 9 after some dude takes out Piatti

America scores when Peralta climbs all over the defenders back, but that hardly matters because the referee was going to let that game keep going until America equalized in any case

Azuran

Banned
Im sorry but Montreal are so so so so damn lucky. They are just getting dominated the whole match.Refs or not the difference in quality of football between the two is Huge.

Best team in Mexico vs worst team in MLS.

It kinda shows but I'm still in shock they can go into Azteca and get a tie after getting hammered by Houston a couple of weeks ago.

I'll probably wind up watching it in a bar in Manhattan due to my hours today, but I think Montreal might be able to surprise us. I'm going with a 1-1 tie, if they can do that on the road then they've got a real shot at it.

*Bows down

Those fucking refs and Club America crowds them after the match playing the persecuted. I fucking hate the way Mexican clubs play.

Montreal fans need to represent and make the officials fear their lives in Canada as well. I'm talking some really devious Canadian shit. Maple syrup in the gas tank. Prank calls to their hotel rooms at three in the morning by Martin Short. Bags of poutine tossed on them in the entrance tunnels.

Arials

So what is the MLS business model?

I thought this was interesting:
Players. Union figures specify total player wages of $131 million in 2014. However, teams often have additional contracts with players for marketing activities- especially for designated players. So real salary spending is much higher. For example, my source claimed the Seattle Sounders are spending $20 million on wages when the union data suggested spending last year was only $11.5 million.

Cystm

Orlando City Soccer Club's $115 million stadium project in jeopardy

Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer said that hopes the team gets the funding it needs by the end of the legislative sessions, which ends next Friday.

"The process was supposed to take the politics out of this, and now it's purely politics. The $85 million stadium was never what anybody wanted," Dyer said. "The $30 million [in sales-tax-rebate funding] was not bonus money ... it's integral to the stadium."

Orlando City spokesman Lenny Santiago says the club hopes for a “successful outcome" in working with partners in the state legislature but has to be ready for alternative solutions.

Cystm

Interesting article on Yankee Stadium as a soccer stadium that some of you were discussing:

A journey inside Yankee Stadium – America’s newest home for soccer

Over 20,000 fans showed up at Yankee Stadium on a weekday evening to see New York City F.C., the city’s new MLS expansion team, take on Philadelphia Union in a game that was being branded as a possible new rivalry.

This is part of MLS’ development strategy, these regional rivalries, and similar to the three-team grouping in the Pacific Northwest – Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps – that all grew to hate each other, driving fan interest and ratings when they played on national TV.

D.C. United over the Union for you North East guys I would assume?

Despite being the wrong shape for a soccer venue, Yankee Stadium is surprisingly intimate. The field is packed into the outfield and reaches just to the pitching mound, which is covered for every game. (NYCFC’s schedule was worked around the Yankees schedule to give the stadium crew time to set up the field.) Fans in the outfield bleachers really hang just over the field.

The supporters’ section, located in the left field bleachers, is loud and still figuring out what it means to be a supporters’ section. It’s beautifully raw. The fans sing songs, usually made famous by other soccer clubs. (They particularly love an updated version of “Hey Baby” by Bruce Channel, which is a mainstay at stadiums on both sides of the pond.) When one group of fans launch into one song, another group of fans will often loudly tell those singing that their song sucks, and launch into a new song.

“We don’t like most of the chants,” said Marvin Blugh, a 25-year-old from Brooklyn who bought season tickets in the bleachers this year. “Feels like we’re ripping off the other teams.”

xbhaskarx

I saved a tweet regarding this Stefan Szymanski dude from a few weeks ago because it pretty much shows he has no idea what he's talking about.

SiriusXM FC @SiriusXMFC

"It looks like @MLS is covering their losses with the expansion fees." - #Soccernomics co-author @sszy ponders how MLS can succeed on TFS

6:19 PM - 27 Mar 2015

You live in the US, if you are going to comment on American sports leagues as a supposed expert at least have some understanding of what expansion fees are.

Also Soccernomics is a rather mediocre book.

xbhaskarx

Mapping the top Premier League teams in the Twitter world

Arsenal rules America, with 21.08 percent of fans choosing the Gunners ahead of likely 2015 champion Chelsea (19.68) and Manchester United (18.02). Arsenal makes its biggest gains on the coasts, with Chelsea and Man United having more of a hold on the Midwest and Mountain West.

• Liverpool is fourth in the U.S. at 13.23 percent, winning only a few scattered regions throughout the country. One of those is not Boston, despite the club sharing owners (the Fenway Group) with the Red Sox.
• Defending champion Manchester City (8.98 percent) is fifth in America, followed by Tottenham (5.2). Everton is seventh with just 2.69 percent, despite boasting U.S. keeper Tim Howard and, not long ago, American star Landon Donovan. Newcastle (1.66), West Ham (1.28) and Aston Villa (1.17) compose the rest of the top 10.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Metro rivalries go as follows:

1. DC. (Hated)
2. NE (Friendly rivals)
3. Philly (Our little brothers to the south)

DC can get bent, always feel so good when we beat them.

NE might need a bit of an upgrade after they beat us to the final last year, it sure wasn't friendly of them.

Dartastic

Chad Marshall is going to be out of the Pacific Northwest Derby as well with a one match suspension for a shitty tackle in first half against Colorado.

Replays of each foul are at the link.
Good. That tackle by Marshall was awful. Another couple pounds of pressure and the Colorado player's leg could have broken.

xbhaskarx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom