• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Doug McIntyre ‏@DougMacESPN 1h

The Impact's tie in Mexico City, not the Canadiens' playoff loss in Ottawa, is front page news in Montreal today.

CDTbvLJXIAEdXbu.jpg
Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 1h
I'm told that 1.2 million viewers on Unimas and 521,000 on Univision Deportes watched the #USMNT vs. Mexico U-23 game.

Also, Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach were on American Idol...

xbhaskarx

Metro rivalries go as follows:

1. DC. (Hated)
2. NE (Friendly rivals)
3. Philly (Our little brothers to the south)

Im gonna print this post out and bring it to PPL Park to show Sons of Ben. You might be the first Energy Drink fan thats ever acknowledged Philly is even a minor rival in 6 years

I fear for your safety the next time you show up at RBA, as there will likely be a gang of angry diehards waiting to administer "corrective action" for your public comments off the agreed upon script of the Metro Manifesto...

xbhaskarx

MLS remains most diverse professional sports league in North America
A total of 58 countries represented by 551 MLS players

Major League Soccer continues to be a frontrunner in the field of diversity in its landmark 20th season, boasting the most diverse group of athletes among the five major team sports leagues based in the U.S. as determined by birthplace. As of April 23, a total of 58 countries are represented in the League from its current pool of 551 players.

Nearly half of the players in MLS were born outside of the U.S. and Canada – a total of 236 players

xbhaskarx

How does the NFL have 57 players from 28 other countries, that's more countries than hockey and baseball... must be mostly Americans who happen to be born abroad.

Cystm

Impact going through appeal process with CONCACAF

After sending an email last night, we sent a second email this morning outlining a few incidents that deserved yellow cards to Club América that were not given,” said Impact technical director Adam Braz. “It also highlighted the fact that Evan Bush goes to kick the ball to the halfway line, as every goalkeeper does after conceding a goal. Their player clearly goes and tries to block the ball in order to antagonize the referee to give our goalkeeper a yellow knowing he already has one.

Mully

Im gonna print this post out and bring it to PPL Park to show Sons of Ben. You might be the first Energy Drink fan thats ever acknowledged Philly is even a minor rival in 6 years

I fear for your safety the next time you show up at RBA, as there will likely be a gang of angry diehards waiting to administer "corrective action" for your public comments off the agreed upon script of the Metro Manifesto...

Union will always be our little brother to the south. We'll specifically look down on Philly supporters for trying too hard to make a name for themselves. Until you guys do something big, you'll always be a nuisance down the turnpike to us, and you'll always be behind DC and NE. If NYCFC gets it shit together in 5 years, you guys may even be 4th.

And I'm not worried about mentioning Philly as our #3. ESC and Metro-GAF have made it plainly clear that you guys are not DC or NE for the past two years I've actively been involved with the Energy Sodas.

I'm never going to rip apart a fan for loving a certain team. You guys come out like any other SG, but to us and the Energy Sodas, you're behind DC and NE, and possibly NYCFC in a few years.

Union will always be our little brother to the south. We'll specifically look down on Philly supporters for trying too hard to make a name for themselves. Until you guys do something big, you'll always be a nuisance down the turnpike to us, and you'll always be behind DC and NE. If NYCFC gets it shit together in 5 years, you guys may even be 4th.

Union wont be doing anything big anytime soon so ill get all the Philly fans I know to start mentally preparing to be your 4th rival

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

And I'm not worried about mentioning Philly as our #3. ESC and Metro-GAF have made it plainly clear that you guys are not DC or NE for the past two years I've actively been involved with the Energy Sodas.

I'm never going to rip apart a fan for loving a certain team. You guys come out like any other SG, but to us and the Energy Sodas, you're behind DC and NE, and possibly NYCFC in a few years.

Except for DC fans right? Fuck those guys.

Also NYCFC is just going to be lol worthy as a rival if they don't pick it up. They're making us look bad by association.

If they don't start trying harder we'll wipe the floor with them when we face them.

Glad they are doing it but it's useless. They wouldn't rectify the situation with Matt Besler when Joel Campbell took the most ridiculous dive I have ever seen at the last Gold Cup.

It's fucking ridiculous how they let those savages intimidate the ref and the front office people who could rectify the situation through the appeals process have no interest in doing so. Not sure what the reasoning is, I've never used anti-American bias as an excuse in my life but it's hard not thinking that's always part of it when it comes to CONCACAF.

Why should people watch that third grade shit show when it's easier to follow UEFA Champions league?

Mully

Except for DC fans right? Fuck those guys.

Also NYCFC is just going to be lol worthy as a rival if they don't pick it up. They're making us look bad by association.

If they don't start trying harder we'll wipe the floor with them when we face them.

DC fans are okay in my book. If I was in the DC Metro for years, I'd probably support them too. It seems like DC supporters have an issue with tourists getting inside their ranks and fucking them over, but I don't know much really. I fairweathered Metro until '06, got pissed and confused because of the name change and didn't return to the Energy Sodas until 2011.

This'll be my first legit year with ESC and I have a lot to learn about MLS supporter culture.

Hearing there will be new allocation rules....or perhaps I should just say "allocation rules" announced next week from MLS.

For international players

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 29m 29 minutes ago
Garber hopeful for an announcement on a new Los Angeles MLS club in 30-45 days.

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 17m 17 minutes ago
MLS plans to announce international player allocation system next week.

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 15m 15 minutes ago
Garber: “The league needs to be the driver of player development in America.”

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 12m 12 minutes ago
Garber on allocation: “What's happened in the past isn’t necessarily what’s going to happen in the future.”

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 12m 12 minutes ago
Garber: “I won't apologize” for the way international signings have worked in the past. It’s been what's best for the league.

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 10m 10 minutes ago
Garber on Miami: “We believe in the market. … I’d like to be there and I’m optimistic that we’ll be able to have all those dominos drop.”

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 9m 9 minutes ago
What’s a likely year for a Miami franchise to start play? Garber: “I can’t answer that.”

Jesse Spector @jessespector · 9m 9 minutes ago
Garber: “I won’t say the Dynamo are actively for sale.” Looking for more local investors.

Also good thing London Woodberry looked good on Sunday, because Darrius Barnes just went on the DL.

xbhaskarx

American duo named to "Top 35 hottest prospects in English football" list

Among "The top 35 hottest prospects in English football" as decided by The Telegraph, are two US players, Arsenal attacker Gedion Zelalem and Tottenham defender Cameron Carter-Vickers.

Zelalem, 18, who is reportedly working on gaining an exception to a FIFA regulation in order to represent the US, has made appearances for Arsenal's senior team in the FA Cup and the Champions League the past two seasons.

Meanwhile, Carter-Vickers, 16, has been playing with the US U-20 team, including a training camp this week ahead of the U-20 World Cup, which begins at the end of May. He's also rising through the youth ranks at Spurs.

xbhaskarx

Five nationally televised games this weekend...

CDYfl5IUIAAPSUL.png

No David Villa, though...

Chicago's lineup seems decent... Igboananike already looking like a bust, not starting after the team had 20 days off.

Avram Grant is in the house. Accam has a chance to show something on club level for his national coach. #cf97

Dartastic

NYCFC's keeper bobbles the ball HORRIBLY and gives up a goal, and a few minutes later there's a DOGSO and a defender gets a red. Wow NYCFC. Just wow. Utter trash.
KuGsj.gif

Edit: OMG, AND LESS THAN A MINUTE LATER THEY GET A YELLOW. BAHAHHAHAHAH

Cystm

The Three-Headed Monster: Why the New York Red Bulls midfield is the best in MLS

With the departure of Designated Player Tim Cahill, Marsch knew he had a chance to transform it to his liking.

The former Impact head coach managed to pull it off in one fell swoop. On January 27 the Red Bulls traded Eric Alexander and Ambroise Oyongo to the Impact for Felipe and the No. 1 spot in the allocation order.

Alexander was an integral part of the Red Bulls’ run to the Eastern Conference Championship series in 2014, pairing Dax McCarty in the center of midfield to power the Red Bulls to a playoff place and onto the conference final. Oyongo showed a ton of promise in his 13 games with New York, with the 23-year-old flashing some serious potential at left back.

But Marsch knew what he was acquiring in Felipe, a former player of his in Montreal. The Brazilian was used in various spots for the Impact over the course of his three years in Quebec, but arguably his best position was as a box-to-box midfielder.

xbhaskarx

NYT: Brazilian Soccer’s Financial Disarray Starts to Show on the Field

Brazil’s professional teams are drowning in debt, hemorrhaging players and playing in near-empty stadiums. Eight of the top 12 clubs are behind on salaries; if they were businesses, nearly every team in the first division, Serie A, would be bankrupt.

Now, with Brazil’s economy in recession, and sponsors and fans cutting back on spending, the clubs’ finances are expected to get even worse. The clubs must publish their 2014 results by April 30, and only one — Rio de Janeiro’s Flamengo — will be able to announce that it has earned enough to service its debt and pay its taxes, according to estimations by Cesar Grafietti, a credit manager at the Brazilian investment bank Itaú BBA.

The consequences are increasingly visible on the field.

Brazil’s clubs make much of their money by selling their players — almost none of whom are free agents — to foreign clubs, but the export of Brazilian soccer talent is accelerating. And instead of sending stars like Neymar to top European clubs like Barcelona for tens of millions of dollars, Brazilian clubs are selling their best players to teams in countries out of the global soccer spotlight.

Cruzeiro, a club from Belo Horizonte that was the league champion in 2013 and 2014, this year sold two top young players, Éverton Ribeiro and Ricardo Goulart, to teams in the United Arab Emirates and China. Ribeiro and Goulart are considered to be strong candidates to play on Brazil’s national team in the 2018 World Cup, though playing in second-tier leagues may hurt their chances.

Teams desperate for cash are selling ever-younger players, even teenagers who have not yet established themselves and can command only modest transfer fees.

“The clubs are selling their futures,” said Amir Somoggi, a sports management consultant in São Paulo. Somoggi estimated that Brazilian clubs would sell more than 1,200 players to foreign teams this year.

- Brazil needs pro/rel otherwise their league will collapse sooner rather than later.

- MLS needs to get in on this action and raid Brazil as they have in Argentina over the last few years. Go up to 4 DPs and buy a bunch of young prospects, maybe they can get a bulk discount...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Espindola is back finally! Let's see if he can make an immediate impact. We need him due to the quality of our other strikers...I'm not counting Silva as a striker.

Pontius - Not good
Arrieta - Pajoy v2.0
Doyle - Very bad
EJ - Retired?...

Arials

It's worth noting at this stage that Everton Ribeiro (who I wouldn't describe as a top young player, he's 26) and Ricardo Goulart both moved for transfer fees well in excess of the MLS record fee. Ribeiro has said he rejected an offer from Man United to join Al-Ahli, he says he wanted to be part of Al-Ahli's "project" but all that means in footballer speak is they offered shitloads more money than Man United did.

MLS teams aren't really in the financial league to go about assets stripping Brazilian teams right now and for 2nd/3rd tier talents Argentina will probably be cheaper.

NYT: Brazilian Soccer’s Financial Disarray Starts to Show on the Field

- Brazil needs pro/rel otherwise their league will collapse sooner rather than

Huh? They do?

That's why the league has always had issues.

You have years in which the champion does a fire sale and next year they get relegated because no shit they sold the winning team.

My team was in the final stages of libertadores and was then relegated because they sold half their players thanks to the spotlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom