• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Dempsey can be equal parts creative and frustrating. He needs an attitude change. We should have won 3-2. Donovan looked slow. Needs to come back with a vengeance.

methodman

Banned
He looked a little fat in the training shots and definitely appeared it here. "Fat" is of course relative, but he does not look nearly fit enough.
Ya I agree. Looks like guy is sporting a belly and definitely was out of breath on his short runs. Way out of shape. In the past both of the runs he made on the ball would have gotten him space, tonight he was easily stopped lol

PopeReal

NoRéN;106757987 said:
No. Should have been 2-0.

The US didn't win and they only have themselves to blame, blown calls and all.

They played bad in the 2nd half until the last 10 minutes.

3-2 final. :)

Askani

Bradley continues to dominate and just gets shit done. He commands the space around him. It's almost sad we don't have another player on the same level. Donovan has gotten there and still gets there sometimes, but Bradley is king.

Meier

Solid effort. Herrera has given me a little confidence in how the team didn't just fold after being down 2-0

Don't think I ever knew you were Mexican or part Mexican.

A shame I only saw the 2nd half since we apparently played so well in the 1st. I liked seeing Julian take on defenders.. obviously not entirely on the same page with the other guys and gave away two balls but he provided dynamism which the US is lacking. I think we'll need Bradley playing as a CAM because he was the only player offering useful penetration through the middle -- Donovan is going to need to sit deeper and serve more as a Pirlo if he's still so slow come this summer.

PopeReal

NoRéN;106758482 said:
And in those 35 minutes they lost a 2 goal lead.

Who is to blame for that? The ref?

The team is to blame for the tie. The ref is to blame for taking away a goal. I think it is both simple and obvious.

NoRéN

The team is to blame for the tie. The ref is to blame for taking away a goal. I think it is both simple and obvious.
That third goal would not have been needed if the team had not fallen apart. Get that? If not, I guess we can start blaming the refs now come the World Cup.

daoster

So it wasn't just me that Donovan was a little off right... I wonder if Klinsmann was correct in starting him on the bench

PopeReal

NoRéN;106758662 said:
That third goal would not have been needed if the team had not fallen apart. Get that? If not, I guess we can start blaming the refs now come the World Cup.

USA played a great first half. Mexico played a great second half. We scored 3 goals, they scored 2. The team is to blame for losing the lead but they also got it back.

Dartastic

Okay. I'm a little drunk, but am I crazy to say that Green looked fantastic? He looked fantastic.

I stand by Wondo. Fucking Wondo. Send him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay. I'm a little drunk, but am I crazy to say that Green looked fantastic? He looked fantastic.

He looked good for an 18-year-old kid who just played his first international friendly. Having said that he may need a bit more experience before he's ready for the World Cup.

He needs to lose about 10 pounds from what I can tell. Please Donovan

Well, it's not an insurmountable thing....

ZZMitch

He had a few really good plays but he also gave the ball away a few times. Not a bad start, though!

Blown calls like that in friendlies don't really matter by the way. Who cares really? JK will see it as a goal and analyze it as such.

daoster

He does seem a bit out of shape. Hopefully he can get back in shape before the Cup.

Don't know if he's out of shape or not, but like that run against Marquez, when Rafael just basically stuck his foot out and took the ball off Landon... Come on man, you've played against him enough to know how to get past him... That's just one example I noticed.

Wouldn't go so far as fantastic, but you can see the talent there...

daoster

He looked good for an 18-year-old kid who just played his first international friendly. Having said that he may need a bit more experience before he's ready for the World Cup.

Don't think that matters... I'll be very surprised if green isn't in Brazil

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Don't know if he's out of shape or not, but like that run against Marquez, when Rafael just basically stuck his foot out and took the ball off Landon... Come on man, you've played against him enough to know how to get past him... That's just one example I noticed.

He's most definitely capable of better, we aren't wrong to expect a lot more out of him.

I don't disagree, but he looked very, very good.

I agree, he did. Green looks like he may very well be worth the hype, given the room to grow of course.

Don't think that matters... I'll be very surprised if green isn't in Brazil

He could make the roster, but if he gets minutes then he can't make the same sort of mistakes he did tonight against Ghana, Portugal or Germany.

Nesotenso

I don't disagree, but he looked very, very good.

he did too little to make a judgement like that. Coaches and scouts know he is a special talent. Needs time and patience from everyone to see him grow as a player.

And JK seemed to do the right thing by benching Donovan. Clearly he saw something in training he did not like. Donovan needs to get hungry and come out firing for the Galaxy again. He needs to be in Gold cup form if the US is to make noise in Brazil.

Meier

He could make the roster, but if he gets minutes then he can't make the same sort of mistakes he did tonight against Ghana, Portugal or Germany.

First one wasn't really a mistake. Just miscommunication and probably Deuce being lazy. 2nd was clearly one though and a bad pass that lead to a counter. With a proper period of time playing with the other guys, they'll be on the same page.

Is there any other American player who in a 1-on-1 situation you're actually confident about them beating their defender? How often do we see our guys even attempt to run at a guy? Pretty much never. He's gotta be there.

A couple press conference quotes:
Jeff Carlisle said:
Klinsmann says competition for CB is "open. How much it is difficult to say." #usmnt

Klinsmann: "We need to have two, if not three different systems for the World Cup." I think this means we'll see 4-4-2 again. #usmnt

Klinsmann said Donovan didn't train well and that LD told him he was having problems with his knee. Said LD understood why he didn't start. #usmnt

v1lla21

Bradley was on another level in the first half. US played great the first half. Mexico's Zavala and Chavez were shit. Come second half and Mexico pretty much dominated the game with the exception of the last 7 minutes. Great game from both teams tbh. I'm happy with the changes Piojo Herrera made for the second half. Montes and Jimenez really changed the team around.

Donovan was definitely out of shape.

Flashes of good from Green, but nerves obvi.

He kind of allowed that first goal to happen I think. Lots of miscommunication in the defense.

xbhaskarx

His comments on Gonzalez:

D Omar Gonzalez, 3 – Looked sharp in the first half, but lost track of Marquez on the first goal, and came up second best on another header. Then he was caught ball-watching on Pulido’s tally. Has he played himself out of the starting lineup?

The other players with low grades were Beltran, Davis, Donovan, Green, EJ, can't really argue with any of those...

- Straus for SI: Overall U.S. clarity remains elusive after final match before World Cup camp
It might be difficult to imagine Klinsmann shelving the 4-2-3-1 or deciding to bench Jones, for whom the coach has great admiration. But a week ago, it was impossible to imagine Klinsmann parting ways with long-time assistant Martin Vasquez, who’d been by his side since they worked together at Bayern Munich in 2008-09. Vasquez planned and ran most of the national team’s practice sessions and was considered Klinsmann’s primary tactician. He was removed from his post and reassigned on Sunday in a move that sent shockwaves through the U.S. camp and beyond.

Now, a tactical reset is possible less than two months before the World Cup.

If Vasquez is expendable, then anyone is. Klinsmann rightly values success over sentiment. For more than a year, Omar Gonzalez has been the obvious frontrunner to be the big man in back alongside Matt Besler. The LA Galaxy stalwart was outstanding in both World Cup qualifiers against Mexico last year. But that Gonzalez hasn’t seized the job and had a rough outing on Wednesday – he lost his mark on both El Tri goals – adds to the uncertainty.

“Naturally, it’s open,” Klinsmann said of the competition for playing time in central defense before rattling off the names of three more players who might fill the role.

That’s far from the only tough decision Klinsmann faces. Is the impact Bradley has in a more advanced role worth shackling the other center midfielder? Could Jones accept that role? Can Beckerman, who thrives in CONCACAF, handle the speed and dynamism of Ghana, Portugal and Germany? Would the support of a second forward help Altidore rediscover his scoring touch? Might that 4-4-2 then relegate Donovan to reserve duty? Where does Geoff Cameron, an English Premier League starter, belong? And what about Fabian Johnson?

Those questions address the heart of this team’s identity. And it’s a lot to figure out.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
My friend sent me this....Looks like a legitimate offside call ...
o0Fiuz7

NoRéN

I like those quotes from Jurgen Klinsmann. He sees the same problems we do.

Yeah. It's actually a good thing that the CB problems were exposed as they were against Mexico. Gives him time to try and improve on that.

If there is one main positive to take from the game, it's the level of play Bradley brought to the game. He was a level above everyone else. The Beckerman-Bradley partnership need to happen again before Brazil to see if it really is something to focus on. Their solid partnership could be what saves the backline against Portugal.

xbhaskarx

Yeah it is a close call, and that means it shouldn't have been called, but saying it's "the worst offsides call I have seen in years" is clearly an exaggeration.

Not sure the AO tifo has been posted yet:
BkRDAa6CMAA-u6W.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom