• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Jurgen should just guarantee green playing time in the World Cup.

And zalelam.

Zelalem wants to play for the US and identifies as American from what I've heard. It'll just be a matter of time and seeing whether or not it pans out. There are some hoops.. apparently if he declares for the US, he'll have to renounce his German citizenship which will mean he'd have to apply for a work permit in the UK which may be tough to get.

Hieberrr

Well shit, Bright Dike is injured again. He tore his Achilles again, so hell be out for the whole season. This guy can't catch a break.

Dartastic

Dear god. I just spent so much money on Timbers tickets today, thanks to the season ticket waiting list presale... Thank god my girlfriend will pay me back for her tickets. The site was broken for the first 20 minutes due to people trying to access it. They're only selling the first half of the year, so I got 2 tickets to the home opener against the Union, 4 to the first home game against Seattle (I'm using two for bargaining chips to get RSL, Toronto, or SKC tickets for the second half of the year) 2 to the Galaxy and 2 to Vancouver. Holy fuck, my credit card hurts right now. o.0

methodman

Banned
Oh wow was wondering what happened with the team USA thread. Great job Askani. I have been wanting to get into the MLS too so this is perfect

daoster

Ukraine violence puts U.S. soccer team’s visit in question - Steven Goff

The world has again turned its attention to Ukraine, where a government crackdown on protesters in Kiev led to escalating violence and several deaths Tuesday.

The U.S. Soccer Federation is paying close attention: The national team is scheduled to play a friendly in Kharkiv on March 5, the only official FIFA match date before World Cup training camp opens in mid-May.

USSF officials are in regular communication with the State Department and monitoring the situation themselves, spokesman Neil Buethe said. At the moment, there are no plans to cancel the match.

xbhaskarx

It seems like there is some expansion or stadium or new team name/crest news just about every day....

St. Louis duo seeking USL PRO expansion club, with long-term goal of MLS entry

Jacksonville NASL expansion franchise announces Armada FC name, club logo

New crest for the NASL section of the OP:
Jax%20Armada%20FC.png

xbhaskarx

Really good article:

The changing transfer marketplace for MLS

Economics, corruption, and archaic soccer cultures in Europe and Latin America have opened potential market gaps that MLS is beginning to exploit by offering what their overseas competitors often cannot.

You need not throw millions of dollars at many players. Just offer them a good level of play, the promise of a regular paycheck, first class infrastructure, fairly competitive wages, and a good quality of life. That’s what it takes, given time, because MLS is increasingly a better alternative to overseas clubs and leagues on the decline.

In the game of Moneyball (or Soccernomics), it’s always a matter of finding the undervalued asset. Forget Jermain Defoe, Michael Bradley, Thierry Henry. They’re the outliers and exceptions. We’re going beyond that. And thanks to changing political and economic dynamics, assets once out of reach are now becoming available.

South America: Corruption, violence, insolvency

First, look to South America. The continent’s top leagues are largely dysfunctional.

Gang violence and financial problems have marred Argentina for years.

Corruption has run roughshod through Brazil’s league, where attendance has dropped below that of MLS. Some teams have at times appeared flush with money due to the rising Brazilian economy and its growing middle class, but now the Brazilian real and economy are stagnating and the cracks in the facade are reemerging. Brazilian soccer is on display right now, and the state of the game and the state itself isn’t pretty.

Go elsewhere — Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia, or just north of the continental divide to Panama and Costa Rica — and you’ll find teams that have trouble paying their players on time and simply can’t compete economically with clubs in wealthier nations.

What does MLS offer players that these leagues cannot?

A steady, reliable paycheck.
Freedom from fan violence.
High quality of life.
Rising level of play that, at its highest levels (RSL, Portland, Los Angeles, etc.), is finally approaching that of Mexico’s league.

Caribbean: 40 million people, no good professional league

Next look to the Caribbean.

An estimated 40 million people live in the islands and peripheral mainland countries (Suriname, Guyana, Belize) generally acknowledged as part of the Caribbean region, but there isn’t a single quality major soccer league to be found here. (Though that could change.) Nowhere is as ripe for MLS scouting as the Caribbean.

League officials clearly recognize this, as indicated by this year’s first ever Caribbean player combine. How many unpolished diamonds can be found here? How many quality players who scouts may simply never find are playing on unknown club teams in the region? And what kind of potential might the planned MLS club in Miami have to draw players from the Caribbean region?

We should start to find out.

Europe: Decline of the PIGS, decay at the fringes

Now turn your eyes toward Europe.

The grand European experiment is showing cracks at the edges. The PIGS — Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain — have seen their economies go down the tubes over the last seven years.

The impact upon their football leagues is beginning to be seen.

No, Real Madrid and Barcelona aren’t going anywhere.

Go beyond them, however. Spanish teams like Valencia and Malaga are saddled with massive debts.

The traditional Greek powers in Athens have suffered setbacks as unemployment has risen to nearly 30 percent. Attendance has fallen.

Scotland’s league has decayed to the point that only Celtic can definitively lay claim to any sense of superiority, with Rangers being effectively demoted three divisions after its 2012 financial collapse. With just over 5 million people, Scotland’s population isn’t sufficient to support a high end, modern league in Europe. Aside from Celtic, the league is no better than MLS, struggling to stay alive financially.

As teams at the fringes of Europe’s top divisions face the economic problems that trickle through Europe while simultaneously trying to compete with the rising financial commitment required for Champions League contention, they accept the sad reality. Valencia becomes a selling team. Scotland’s Old Firm just becomes old as Rangers collapses into insolvency. The traditional Greek powers become forgotten in European play. Even the Italian giants lose their shine. Two struggling teams in France’s Ligue 1, Sochaux and Ajaccio, see their captains sign with MLS clubs.

And so it goes.

Parity with the German and English leagues won’t happen just yet. Germany and its league are too sound economically, and England’s TV contracts and foreign benefactors bring financial windfalls that offset English clubs’ overspending.

But elsewhere, market inequities are developing. Financial gaps are opening. Opportunities are arising.

And MLS is beginning to seize the moment.

Askani

Teal Bunbury traded to the Revolution.

I liked him, but he was never quite at the level he needed to be. He seemed like he was one of those guys that was always told he was going to be great so many times he just expected it to happen and didn't put in the work to really get there. I thought he was coming around though but then he tore up his knee and that set him back further. Wish he could have stayed around, but he'd be fighting for a spot behind Dwyer and Bieler. Hoping this means Bieler picked up his training in the offseason and get "Sporting KC fit" and will be a little better this season.

KingGondo

Banned
Here's a link to the home site for Oklahoma City's new USL PRO team, OKC Energy FC.

http://www.energyfc.com/en/home.html#0

Along with their logo:

and kits:

The owners have stated that their goal is to make it to MLS within 10 years. They're affiliated with Sporting Kansas City.

Looking into season tickets at the moment (they're playing their first season or two at an OKC high school near me) and I'm sensing a lot of excitement for pro soccer here that I didn't expect.

KingGondo

Banned
Everyone says they want to go to MLS. Its all fluff. OKC NASL is the real contender.
I haven't heard a damn thing about the NASL squad in a long time, and the Energy will have a huge jump start in terms of public consciousness and support. If the NASL club plays, it won't be until 2015.

It helps that the Energy have the blessing of SKC, since their last affiliate club (Orlando City) will be joining MLS soon.

It'll be interesting to see. Having two competing teams in a mid-sized market like OKC isn't good for anyone. Everybody needs to get behind one club.

xbhaskarx

Can this thread not devolve into NASL vs USL garbage... one is second division one is third division. Let's see either one actually kick a soccer ball before arguing over future MLS expansion. And all that matters for that is ownership with the money to pay the expansion free and build a stadium, MLS doesn't care which league they came from as long as the check doesn't bounce.

kIdMuScLe

Can this thread not devolve into NASL vs USL garbage... one is second division one is third division. Let's see either one actually kick a soccer ball before arguing over future MLS expansion. And all that matters for that is ownership with the money to pay the expansion free and build a stadium, MLS doesn't care which league they came from as long as the check doesn't bounce.

I really don't get the argument about NASL vs USA. Is like arguing which is better NBADL vs And 1 leagues.

xbhaskarx

At least 18 people died in Ukraine on Tuesday in clashes between police and protesters... can the US really play a friendly there in a few weeks?

Hieberrr

I started asking myself, is Ryan Nelson our guy? Is he the tactician that we need for this club?

I'm actually not entirely sure. I'd like to think that he has these things figured out, but something is just bothering me.

TFC, Y U NO GET PEP?!

KingGondo

Banned
I honestly don't know much about the USL-NASL conflict, I was just responding to the original guy's post.

All I was saying is that from the ground here in OKC, the USL franchise has a huge lead on the planned NASL club in terms of public awareness. The public doesn't know much about the differences between the leagues.

The NASL team will have a huge hill to climb to avoid being seen as "the other soccer team," especially if the USL team is successful.

Nobody here knows the difference between USL and NASL, and nobody really cares.

xbhaskarx

I started asking myself, is Ryan Nelson our guy? Is he the tactician that we need for this club?

I think this season's "first coach to be fired" race is between Ryan Nelsen and Ben Olsen.

If Nelsen looks out of his depth, I'm guessing Leiweke won't hesitate to pull the trigger considering it's not even his guy.

xbhaskarx

All I was saying is that from the ground here in OKC, the USL franchise has a huge lead on the planned NASL club in terms of public awareness.

Hopefully both teams can succeed or at least survive....

It's nice to finally see some USL Pro teams with decent branding in terms of crest / jersey design (Sacramento Republic and OKC Energy), many of the others look like their marketing departments are run by high school students.

Hieberrr

I think this season's "first coach to be fired" race is between Ryan Nelsen and Ben Olsen.

If Nelsen looks out of his depth, I'm guessing Leiweke won't hesitate to pull the trigger considering it's not even his guy.
Sigh. How shitty would it be for the coach to be the bottleneck in the team...

KingGondo

Banned
Hopefully both teams can succeed or at least survive....

It's nice to finally see some USL Pro teams with decent branding in terms of crest / jersey design (Sacramento Republic and OKC Energy), many of the others look like their marketing departments are run by high school students.
I'm honestly hoping the NASL club folds before it starts. This city isn't big enough to have its loyalties split between two teams. And they won't be able to compete for statewide support either, since Tulsa's getting a USL Pro team in 2015.

I'm definitely a fan of the Energy's branding that I've seen thus far. The away kits are particularly nice, and I already bought a scarf.

Sigh. How shitty would it be for the coach to be the bottleneck in the team...

The funny thing is that Ryan Nelson has been very useful in attracting the players through his connections he met as a player but will probably struggle to get those players to perform at their best.

I've never done it before. Fantasy sports always intimidates me.

Last year was my first time playing fantasy soccer and I won the league (played fantasy football and roto baseball back in the day). Watch the MLS videos like the one posted above and you'll be fine. They do a great job of explaining the fantasy strategy and keeping you up to date.

Toothpick

----- Alright, so I've created a classic league for Neogaf on MLS Fantasy -----

After you've made your team, find where it says Join/Create League on your home page
Select 'Join Private League'
Copy and paste the following code:
Code:
8937-1554
and you're in! This is a classic league so points get added up every round til the end of the season. The grand prize is bragging rights lol

I've never done it before. Fantasy sports always intimidates me.
MLS Fantasy is not complicated at all. Just pick a bunch of players and build a team.
Players receive points for their performances every round. You also get a free transfer each week to make changes to your team (carries over if you don't use it).
Fairly simple and it should make following the league a little more interesting.

xbhaskarx

Things are looking good for NorCal soccer, the Earthquakes new stadium continues to go up, and it looks like the temporary stadium for the Sacramento Republic is going through....

Tentative deal reached to build Cal Expo soccer stadium

uc7rB.Xl.4.JPG

Sacramento soccer fans can put their worries to rest: It looks like the city’s new professional franchise will have a place to play this year.

After months of talks, a tentative deal has been reached to build an 8,000-seat stadium at Cal Expo for Sacramento Republic FC, the newly formed soccer team that will begin play next month.

Cal Expo’s board of directors is expected to formally approve the deal at its Feb. 28 meeting. The agreement is with Ovations Fanfare, a food service company that is a subsidiary of national sports and entertainment giant Comcast Spectacor. Ovations has agreed to construct and finance the $3 million facility, with a financial contribution to the project from Republic FC.

Construction is expected to take two to three months, meaning Republic FC could wind up playing its first few home matches at Hughes Stadium on the Sacramento City College campus.

The team has received 4,326 deposits on season ticket packages.

Smith and Republic FC have set a goal of getting promoted to MLS – the nation’s top soccer league – by 2016. The Cal Expo field would serve as a temporary home for Republic FC as it explores options for a larger stadium closer to downtown Sacramento that would appeal to MLS.

In the meantime, the 120-yard by 80-yard field at Cal Expo will meet guidelines for international and MLS matches, Smith said. Hughes Stadium’s field is just 65 yards wide.

The field will be grass, the surface preferred by MLS; Hughes has an artificial turf field. And unlike Hughes Stadium, the Cal Expo facility will not feature painted lines on the field for football games.

Earthquakes stadium:

BgzCVxPCAAEiz_q.jpg

Things are looking good for NorCal soccer, the Earthquakes new stadium continues to go up, and it looks like the temporary stadium for the Sacramento Republic is going through....

Tentative deal reached to build Cal Expo soccer stadium

uc7rB.Xl.4.JPG

Earthquakes stadium:

BgzCVxPCAAEiz_q.jpg
That temporary stadium looks pretty schway. Of small stadiums like that, Pittsburgh Riverhounds is my fave. I think having trees and some sbrubbery would really add to the intimate feel of these small stadia.

----- Alright, so I've created a classic league for Neogaf on MLS Fantasy -----

After you've made your team, find where it says Join/Create League on your home page
Select 'Join Private League'
Copy and paste the following code:
Code:
8937-1554
and you're in! This is a classic league so points get added up every round til the end of the season. The grand prize is bragging rights lol

I'm in. The only other person so far, haha.

Askani

I'm in. The only other person so far, haha.

I'll make my team...hopefully today if I have enough time..

What's the deadline? The first regular season game?

EDIT :::::

Also, I have a couple Steam games rotting in my inventory that I can put up for prizes if someone wants them. It's Valve stuff that people already have probably, but I have: Counterstrike Source, Portal 2, Left For Dead 2, Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode One.

First place can get first choice? Second can have second choice? Etc? I'll see if I can come up with someone else also.

- Major League Soccer purchases Chivas USA
Major League Soccer today announced it has purchased Chivas USA from Jorge Vergara and Angelica Fuentes. Effective immediately, MLS will assume responsibility for operating the club. MLS will appoint an experienced sports executive shortly to serve as the president of Chivas USA during this interim period. Head coach Wilmer Cabrera, who joined the club January 9, will continue in his position and report to the new president.

In the coming months, the league will resell the club to a new ownership group that will be committed to building a new stadium and keeping the team in Los Angeles. The league has had initial discussions with a number of very qualified potential owners and intends to finalize an agreement with a new group sometime this year.

The club will play as Chivas USA during the 2014 MLS season and will be rebranded with a new team name and logo in connection with the sale to a new owner.

Under the terms of the purchase agreement, Mr. Vergara and Ms. Fuentes retain all branding and licensing rights to the Chivas name with MLS permitted to continue using the Chivas USA brand name on a transitional basis.
More via the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom