• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Two distinct eras of US defenders under JK. @GeoffCameron the major mainstay.
CIs8Wq6UYAEBtMI.png

Judderman

drawer by drawer

Osorio

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Our Open Cup game against the Cosmos this Wednesday is going to be televised on MSG. First time ever I think.

Yep, tickets are pretty cheap too so it might be a sell out.

Winning that game would send a pretty strong message. Marsch needs to treat it like a play-off game.

Osorio

Yep, tickets are pretty cheap too so it might be a sell out.

Winning that game would send a pretty strong message. Marsch needs to treat it like a play-off game.

I highly doubt it'd sell out. I don't think we've surpassed 10,000 for a home Open Cup game. Sure, it's the Cosmos but Red Bull isn't advertising this much. I'd be ecstatic if we fill the lower bowl.

Marsch needs to take this seriously. Fuck our game on Saturday. A win Wednesday would put us in the quarters against either DC or Philly, another great rivalry game. Then a semi against Chicago, Columbus, Charlotte or Orlando? Pretty easy road to our first OC final in twelve years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I highly doubt it'd sell out. I don't think we've surpassed 10,000 for a home Open Cup game. Sure, it's the Cosmos but Red Bull isn't advertising this much. I'd be ecstatic if we fill the lower bowl.

Marsch needs to take this seriously. Fuck our game on Saturday. A win Wednesday would put us in the quarters against either DC or Philly, another great rivalry game. Then a semi against Chicago, Columbus, Charlotte or Orlando? Pretty easy road to our first OC final in twelve years.

The lower bowl actually looks pretty good considering it's the Open Cup.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So a writer that covers the Union, Kevin Kinkead, just unloaded on their ownership on Twitter:

@KevinKCBS3 said:
Here's my message to Jay Sugarman: do the right thing and sell this franchise

@KevinKCBS3 said:
Sugarman wanted to buy a sports franchise. He didn't know anything about soccer and he told us that straight-up.

@KevinKCBS3 said:
and all this talk of "entitled fans".. of COURSE they are entitled, they are paying customers in PHILADELPHIA / 4TH LARGEST TV MARKET

@KevinKCBS3 said:
This is the biggest charade on the face of mother Earth

There's more on his Twitter page as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They definitely deserve better than what they've been getting.

Can we take bets on how MLS/Garber is going to be able to give dos Santos to the Galaxy?

Random lottery, only all the names in the bowl are LA Galaxy.

Also, Shaun Wright-Phillips is still training with the Red Bulls and the way Marsch is talking about him makes it sound less like he's just there for fitness an more like a try-out. If we move to a 4-4-2 he'd be pretty perfect for our lineup.

Brad Davis is hurt and has been removed from the Gold Cup roster. Greg Garza has been added to the roster for the Guatemala friendly but not the GC...yet?

- Galarcep on the Dos Santos moves:
Sources tell Goal USA that MLS owners are ready to ratify changes to the current salary cap rules to create a Core Player roster spot that will effectively work as a fourth designated player spot for any teams currently using all three slots.

The Galaxy currently boast reigning MLS MVP Robbie Keane and U.S. national team defender Omar Gonzalez as DPs, with Gerrard joining as the third this weekend. Dos Santos, who is currently with the Mexican national team preparing for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, would not join the team until August, by which time MLS would be expected to have implemented its salary cap slot changes.

One source within MLS confirmed to Goal USA that the adoption of the Core Player roster slot is a "safe bet" to be approved this summer, thus clearing the way for the Dos Santos transfer. It remains unclear whether MLS will foot the bill for Dos Santos' transfer the way it did with Clint Dempsey's move from Tottenham to Seattle, or if the Galaxy are going to pay for the transfer and the sizable salary Dos Santos will be paid.

Dos Santos has been linked to the Galaxy for some time, though he now appears ready to a move that standout Mexicans Cuauhtemoc Blanco and Rafa Marquez made before him.

In Dos Santos, the Galaxy would be adding the Mexican star the club has craved in order to help secure a larger segment of the soccer fanbase in the greater Los Angeles area, particularly with the looming arrival of a second MLS team in the market in 2018.

If the Galaxy do land Dos Santos with the help of the Core Player slot, they won't be the only team doing essentially boasting four DPs. New York City FC is preparing to add Frank Lampard and Andrea Pirlo to David Villa as three designated players. Mix Diskerud was believed to be a player the club would earmark for its Core Player rule, but having already paid down his salary slot this season, NYCFC could be using the Core Player slot to help squeeze in the arrival of Spanish international Andoni Iraola, a highly-regarded defender who was a regular starter wiith Athletic Bilbao.

The Sounders and Toronto FC are also currently featuring three DPs, meaning they too could take advantage of the newly-created Core Player slot once it is approved.

Askani

The rules are the rules except when the rules aren't the rules because we suddenly don't like them so we break the rules by making up new rules on the fly because rules.

nZWKa04.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It will be interesting to see what Toronto and Seattle do after the change... maybe Toronto can bring back Gilberto?

I'd expect Toronto to pick someone more on the defensive side or to help with possession, they've already got great attacking options.

Had Xavi not already gone to Qatar I'd say Seattle would go after him, they'd really be a force with someone like him on the line-up.

xbhaskarx

I'd expect Toronto to pick someone more on the defensive side or to help with possession, they've already got great attacking options.

Had Xavi not already gone to Qatar I'd say Seattle would go after him, they'd really be a force with someone like him on the line-up.

No way. First, Toronto's defense has been more or less fine for the last ten games or so.
And defenders don't cost as much money, even really lousy defenses can be improved without DPs (see NYC bringing in two fullbacks).

For some reason I've always imagined Seattle bringing in Wesley Sneijder... not sure what his current situation is in Turkey.

Total MLS ‏@TotalMLS 32m32 minutes ago
By moving USOC date for RBNY, the Union will likely have to cancel their friendly on 7/14. MLS players can't play consecutive days (per CBA)

silly me. I forgot only the two new york teams, seattle, and the galaxy are the only teams that matter.

A (non)update on Minnesota's MLS future. From Northern Pitch.

Today is July 1st, deadline day for Minnesota United FC to, um, well no one apparently knows. In recent comments, Dr. Bill McGuire, whether he was being coy or not, seemed to know nothing about the deadline and no one from MLS proper has really quite said either what the deadline is for or what will happen if it is not met. One thing is at least clear: MLS knows how to (Continental) tire fire like absolute pros.

Let's start off with the obvious: everyone from MLS to Minnesota United to the fans wants a stadium done. MLS knows stadium fights very well and the Miami debacle has to be weighing heavily on any expansion moves they make. Accordingly, they want this done as soon as possible. The Loons, on the other hand, had their hand forced by MLS and suddenly Bill McGuire finds himself shelling out a lot of his cash. So Minnesota wants to make sure that they have a plan to be in the black year to year. Hence, their desire to save a few million on yearly taxes. Where we run into trouble is that MLS and Minnesota United don't seem to be working together on Operation Get a Stadium Built.

July 1 or Death
It is really difficult to imagine that anyone at MLS HQ believed Minnesota could get a stadium approved in the less than 98 days since MLS came to town. They have seen how this works, they know that even if McGuire dumped bags of gold bullion on the tables of City Hall there would still be delays and hoops to jump through. In addition, it is almost impossible to imagine that MLS would be willing to suffer the indignity of announcing they were pulling the franchise rights. That would be probably the dumbest move of all.

That leads me to believe that this deadline is a soft deadline meant for Minnesota to show progress and that said progress is loosely defined. Which leads us back to the deadline: why make it public at all? What does publicly ratcheting up the pressure do for MLS?

The purpose might be to assist Minnesota by forcing public officials to recognize a timeline. Already, we have heard officials from Brooklyn Park and St. Paul clear their throats and say, "If Minneapolis doesn't want you to spend $100 million revitalizing the apocalyptic nightmare part of their downtown, we'll take it."

But MLS does not seem to be coordinating at all with Minnesota on this task. Minnesota is forced to respond to all of the news being created by MLS (offering increasingly infuriating no comments) rather than being able to control the narrative. MLS makes the job of pushing the positive narrative of "we're going to build this great thing and bring this great league to town!" nigh on impossible because the narrative has shifted to the negative line of: "MLS might just walk!"

In the Absence of Narrative
This isn't to say that the only wafts of burning rubber are coming from NYC. Minnesota United has underestimated both the scorched earth of the Vikings stadium and the degree to which Dr. McGuire is an easy political target. It feels like the team thought McGuire & Co. stepping up and paying for the stadium privately would have the same positive spin as when McGuire put his money and clout into other Minneapolis landmarks (the Guthrie, Gold Medal Park). Instead, some politicians (and media) opted for the billionaire with the checkered past line so they could regain credibility after capitulating to Zygi Wilf.

The Loons also opted to mum's the word up until the March 25th MLS announcement and this was a big mistake. By ceding control of the narrative, misinformation has taken hold and the most preposterous theories have been floated. Other municipalities vying for the stadium will now help put pressure on Minneapolis officials who will finally recognize the great deal they're being offered, but these kinds of stories should have been happening 8 months ago when the expansion race started to heat up.

What Now?
As MLS Continental Tire Fires go, this is pretty minor. Most likely July 2nd will come and everyone will go back to getting a stadium deal worked out in the fall legislative session. But here's where everyone goes forward. MLS announces that they are giving Minnesota an extension (6 months? A year?) and start coordinating with the team. They develop a plan for the legislative session and start putting out the positive message of what a downtown MLS stadium will mean for Minneapolis. Don Garber comes to town again and has a chat with Mayor Hodges. We start getting photos out of the existing industrial/commercial space where the stadium is built so people can stop pretending they will become renovated condos like the North Loop.

And Don, when you come to town with a message, don't--as you did in March--immediately destroy the positive spin by offering a vague threat of a deadline. Stick to your message and stop making your business partners' lives difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom