• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Need a gif from second 5 to 14...
https://www.facebook.com/MLS/videos/10153424762808887/
http://streamable.com/o4ng

G21Q3en.jpg

I must have been sitting 20 feet to your right...

Gold Cup question. If I want to see the US play in the semifinal in Atlanta, which semifinal match would they be in? There's a 6pm and a 9pm game. Or are tickets for both games?

I usually dont follow MLS, but I was at the gym and enjoyed part of the NYC-NYRB game on ESPN.

But Jesus Christ the commentary made me want to pull my ears off.

Exact quote:

"It's a foul, and that's how you know it's a rivalry because things are heated and they've been heated because it's a rivalry and tensions are high during a rivalry"

(Note, zero discussion if it was actually a foul)

"And the ref gives a yellow card! WOW things have really heated up in this rivalry game just as we expected because when you put two rivals together things get hot! This is true in England where every team has a rival or two and the sparks fly! And here we see the sparks fly and theyve been flying all game because it's a rivalry!"

(Note, zero discussion if the yellow card was a good call)

I couldnt take it anymore.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yea, the league is trying to force a rivalry where there isn't one. Petke was right when he said there was no real rivalry because there's been no time for bad blood to develop between the teams. NYRB/DC is a rivalry, this is a marketing push.

Swear to god, we'd better at least tie this game.

ATF487

I usually dont follow MLS, but I was at the gym and enjoyed part of the NYC-NYRB game on ESPN.

Exact quote:

"It's a foul, and that's how you know it's a rivalry because things are heated and they've been heated because it's a rivalry and tensions are high during a rivalry"

"And the ref gives a yellow card! WOW things have really heated up in this rivalry game just as we expected because when you put two rivals together things get hot! This is true in England where every team has a rival or two and the sparks fly! And here we see the sparks fly and theyve been flying all game because it's a rivalry!"

How else would you know that it's RIVALRY WEEK if they didn't ram it through your skull?

Solid finish by shaun's brother

Arials

Exact quote:

That would be Taylor Twellman, I can hear his voice when reading those quotes *shudder*. I swear sometimes his co commentator just sits in judgemental silence after he says something because what he said was so mind numbingly stupid.

My favorite part of the rivalry rivalry rivalry talk...

Was how they kept saying over and over again things like "will take over NYC, will be the best in NYC" etc etc

And they made damn well sure to not once mention who the NYRBs are playing next

The Cosmos on wednesday

Rivalry rivalry rivalry

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well the atmosphere in Yankee Stadium was tons of fun (for about 75-80 minutes, anyway) in spite of that savage second half beat down.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously you aren't a Red Bull fan.

Generally speaking, any team that plays in Newark (or Harrison, whatever) and wears red is an enemy in my book, regardless of sport. :D

And really I mostly meant that the sort of back and forth competitiveness in the crowd sort of petered out once the result was no longer in any doubt. It wasn't too unlike other NY-area rivalry type games in the stands for most of the match, though fewer fist fights than I typically associate with, say, Rangers-Islanders games.

PopeReal

Happy to see the Timbers shake off that thumping by the Galaxy. If we continue to play this well at home we should be alright. Oh, and Nagbe looked great. Hopefully his confidence is up.

Cystm

- ProSoccerTalk: U.S. forward Aron Johannsson: I want to play in MLS “at the peak of my career”

“Most definitely,” Johannsson, who has spent his career in Europe, said when asked if he sees himself making an eventual move to Major League Soccer. “I’ve said it a lot of times. I hope just the opportunity comes.

“I want to, when I’m at the peak of my career, then I want to be playing in the MLS, because I don’t want to go there when I’m getting too old and the expectations are too much and I can’t handle it.

“So when I’m playing at my best level, I want to be able to play in the U.S. and show people how good I am over there.”

- MLS .com: Sporting Kansas City forward Krisztian Nemeth makes MLS history

Nemeth is the only player since the league's founding to convert his first seven shots on goal in a single season.

- @ESPNFC: According to @TaylorTwellman, MLS owners are working on mechanism to bring Gio dos Santos and Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez to the league.

2V54gRx.jpg

"Now Kiss."

- MLS Analyst: The Quiet Man, Sacha's brain and more from Week 17

I must have been sitting 20 feet to your right...
It was a good night out - mostly for the win, but Stanford's also a nice place to watch a game. I don't mind the single game there annually, but I wish they'd cut Levi's from the rotation.

Heh:
Devin Pleuler said:
One of our best American soccer prospects not being able to swing a baseball bat might actually be a sign of progress.

"Landon Donovan's 84 chances created from open play in 2014 is the highest single-season total we've had since Opta started tracking the league back in 2010"

But what about that photo of his belly
Old man Donovan couldn't run the beep test anymore.

I didn't know Nagbe would be eligible this year. Hope they get him in the mix soon.

xbhaskarx

Yeah he was only one of the top players on the beep test instead of first by a wide margin.

Brooks Lennon to sign with Liverpool

Lennon, eager to join one of the top clubs in England, has been training with Liverpool on and off since 2013. Due to the strict FA rules on admittance of non-EU players, Lennon was forced to dance around many hurdles before joining the club officially. With his Irish passport en route, Lennon is set to join the Merseyside club.

The arrival of Lennon in Liverpool is not much of a surprise given how long this process has drawn out. However, his quality has not diminished during that time. He still remains one of the best U.S. prospects thanks to his time with Real Salt Lake Arizona.

When not training with Liverpool, Lennon has been tearing up the Development Academy with RSL AZ. Lennon scored 31 goals this past season for the RSL AZ U18 team. He was joint top scorer on the team and in the Development Academy for that age group.

Lennon, 17 years old, figures to be a key piece of the U.S. U20 Men’s National Team for the 2017 World Cup cycle. He is a dynamic player who could fit in on the wing or as a target striker. He impressed at the U18 age group with his relentless work ethic and quality in the final third.

His appearances with Liverpool have been equally prolific. Lennon scored the game-winner against Schalke for the Liverpool U17 squad last summer. He had three goals in two games last January while on tour with a Liverpool youth side.

Dartastic

Old man Donovan couldn't run the beep test anymore.

I didn't know Nagbe would be eligible this year. Hope they get him in the mix soon.
I for one think that getting Nagbe a callup to the USMNT would do wonders for him. He's been with Caleb Porter basically forever. A new look might really boost his confidence.

Blue Lou

New CONCACAF Champions League details:

CONCACAF Sets Scotiabank Champions League Schedule for Group Phase of 2015/16 Season

Twenty-four teams to compete for regional club championship in play kicking off August 4

Miami (Monday, June 29, 2015) – The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) today unveiled the group phase schedule for the 2015/16 edition of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, the region’s premier competition for clubs.

The schedule for the opening Group Stage match week, to be played from August 4-6, includes action for defending CONCACAF champion Club America – set to represent the Confederation at this December’s FIFA Club World Cup in Japan. The Champions League holders will welcome Honduran side CD Motagua at the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, at 10 pm ET on Wednesday, August 5, for the opener in Group E.

That match is among the first of eight slated for the opening week as Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League action begins in five of the 12 countries across the Confederation, from Trinidad & Tobago to Canada, represented in this year's competition.

On opening night, August 4, a pair of former runners-up are in action as 2010/11 finalist Real Salt Lake visits Guatemala’s CSD Municipal, while Mexico’s Santos Laguna opens at home against perennial Caribbean Champions League contender DIRECTV W Connection. Earlier that evening in Mexico, SCCL newcomers Gallos Blancos de Queretaro begin their participation against Panama's San Francisco FC in the season’s opening match.

Wednesday of opening week will also be a big day for Champions League action. In addition to the match in Mexico City, Canadian debutant Vancouver Whitecaps initiates its participation in the region’s most important club competition, hosting an alluring Cascadia clash against cross-border rival Seattle Sounders.

The final evening of the opening week, to be played on Thursday, August 6, features three more matches, beginning with Arabe Unido hosting SCCL newcomer Montego Bay FC, in Panama at 8 pm ET. At 10 pm, defending MLS Cup Champion LA Galaxy opens at home against Caribbean Football Union Club Championship winner Central FC, of Trinidad & Tobago. At the same time, to the south in Costa Rica, 2014/15 Champions League semifinalist CS Herediano also begins its current campaign, against AD Isidro Metapan, a perennial Champions League entrant from El Salvador.

Twenty-four teams are set to participate in this season’s Champions League, marking the eight edition in which a Confederation-wide group phase has been disputed before the knockout rounds. Sixteen clubs debut in the tournament’s first week, with the other eight – including Major League Soccer side DC United, Liga MX entrant Tigres UANL, and six more teams from the UNCAF region – entering play on the second and third match days, scheduled from August 18-20 and August 25-27.

September will feature two more rounds of play, before the group phase wraps up with a final set of encounters in October, including a number of marquee match ups likely to determine which clubs advance in the tournament.

The top club from each of the eight three-team groups advances to the knockout round. The quarterfinal, semifinal and final rounds are slated for early next year.

More information on the CONCACAF Champions League, team-by-team capsules and in-depth statistics and analysis, can be found at CONCACAF.com. The full schedule can be found below. Due to website updates, the updated schedule will be reflected on CONCACAF.com within the next 48 hours.

Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League 2015/16 Schedule
*Listed in EST

WEEK 1
Tuesday, August 5, 2015
20:00 Gallos Blancos de Queretaro (MEX) vs. San Francisco (PAN) – Estadio Corregidora, Queretaro, Mexico
22:00 Santos (MEX) vs. W Connection (TRI) – Estadio Corona, Torreon, Mexico
22:00 Club Municipal (GUA) vs. Real Salt Lake (USA) – Estadio Mateo Flores, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala

Wednesday, August 5, 2015
22:00 Vancouver Whitecaps (CAN) vs. Seattle Sounders (USA) – B.C. Place, Vancouver, Canada
22:00 Club America (MEX) vs. Motagua (HON) – Estadio Azteca, Ciudad de Mexico, D.F., Mexico

Thursday, August 6, 2016
20:00 Arabe Unido (PAN) vs. Montego Bay (JAM) – Estadio Maracana, Balboa, Panama
22:00 LA Galaxy (USA) vs. Central FC (TRI) – StubHub Center, Carson, California, USA
22:00 Herediano (CRC) vs. Isidro Metapan (CLV) – Estadio Eladio Rosabal Cordero, Heredia, Costa Rica

WEEK 2
Tuesday, August 18, 2015
20:00 Tigres (MEX) vs. Isidro Metapan (SLV) – Estadio Universitario, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
22:00 Verdes FC (BLZ) vs. Gallos Blancos de Queretaro (MEX) – F.F.B. Football Field, Belmopan, Belize
22:00 LA Galaxy (USA) vs. Comunicaciones (GUA) – StubHub Center, Carson, California, USA

Wednesday, August 19, 2015
20:00 Arabe Unido (PAN) vs. DC United (USA) – Estadio Maracana, Balboa, Panama
22:00 Seattle Sounders (USA) vs. Olimpia (HON) – CenturyLink Field, Seattle, Washington, USA
22:00 Club America (MEX) vs. Walter Ferretti (NCA) – Estadio Azteca, Ciudad de Mexico, D.F., Mexico

Thursday, August 20, 2016
22:00 Saprissa (CRC) vs. W Connection (TRI) – Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Ayma, San Juan de Tibas, San Jose, Costa Rica
22:00 Santa Tecla (SLV) vs. Municipal (GUA) – Estadio Atletico Las Delicias, Santa Tecla, El Salvador

WEEK 3
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
20:00 DC United (USA) vs. Montego Bay (JAM) – R.F.K. Stadium, Washington D.C., USA
22:00 Saprissa (CRC) vs. Santos (MEX) – Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Ayma, San Juan de Tibas, San Jose, Costa Rica
22:00 Club Municipal (GUA) vs. Santa Tecla (SLV) – Estadio Mateo Flores, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala

Wednesday, August 26, 2015
20:00 San Francisco (PAN) vs. Queretaro (MEX) – Estadio Maracana, Balboa, Panama
22:00 Olimpia (HON) vs. Seattle Sounders (USA) – Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
22:00 Herediano (CRC) vs. Tigres (MEX) – Estadio Eladio Rosabal Cordero, Heredia, Costa Rica

Thursday, August 27, 2016
22:00 Comunicaciones (GUA) vs. Central FC (TRI) – Estadio Cementos Progreso, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
22:00 Motagua (HON) vs. Walter Ferretti (NCA) – Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras

WEEK 4
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
20:00 DC United (USA) vs. Arabe Unido (PAN) – R.F.K. Stadium, Washington D.C., USA
22:00 Santa Tecla (SLV) vs. Real Salt Lake (USA) – Estadio Atletico Las Delicias, Santa Tecla, El Salvador

Wednesday, September 16, 2015
20:00 W Connection (TRI) vs. Saprissa (CRC) – Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
22:00 Vancouver Whitecaps (CAN) vs. Olimpia (HON) – B.C. Place, Vancouver, Canada
22:00 Walter Ferretti (NCA) vs. Club America (MEX) – Estadio Nacional de Futbol de Nicaragua, Managua, Nicaragua

Thursday, September 17, 2015
20:00 Central FC (TRI) vs. Comunicaciones (GUA) – Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
22:00 Gallos Blancos de Queretaro (MEX) vs. Verdes FC (BLZ) – Estadio Corregidora, Queretaro, Mexico
22:00 Isidro Metapan (SLV) vs. Herediano (CRC) – Estadio Jorge “Calero” Suarez, Metapan, El Salvador

WEEK 5
Tuesday, September 22, 2015
20:00 Montego Bay (JAM) vs. DC United (USA) – Montego Bay Sports Complex, Montego Bay, Jamaica
20:00 W Connection (TRI) vs. Santos (MEX) – Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
22:00 Verdes (BLZ) vs. San Francisco (PAN) – F.F.B. Football Field, Belmopan, Belize

Wednesday, September 23, 2015
20:00 Central FC (TRI) vs. LA Galaxy (USA) – Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
22:00 Seattle Sounders (USA) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (CAN) – CenturyLink Field, Seattle, Washington, USA

Thursday, September 24, 2015
20:00 Walter Ferretti (NCA) vs. Motagua (HON) – Estadio Nacional de Futbol de Nicaragua, Managua, Nicaragua
22:00 Real Salt Lake (USA) vs. Santa Tecla (SLV) – Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah, USA
22:00 Isidro Metapan (SLV) vs. Tigres (MEX) – Estadio Jorge “Calero” Suarez, Metapan, El Salvador

WEEK 6
Tuesday, October 20, 2015
20:00 Santos (MEX) vs. Saprissa (CRC) – Estadio Corona, Torreon, Mexico
22:00 Motagua (HON) vs. Club America (MEX) – Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
22:00 Real Salt Lake (USA) vs. Club Municipal (GUA) – Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah, USA

Wednesday, October 21, 2015
20:00 Tigres (MEX) vs. Herediano (CRC) – Estadio Universitario, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
22:00 Comunicaciones (GUA) vs. LA Galaxy (USA) – Estadio Cementos Progreso, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala

Thursday, October 22, 2015
20:00 Montego Bay (JAM) vs. Arabe Unido (PAN) – Montego Bay Sports Complex, Montego Bay, Jamaica
22:00 Olimpia (HON) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (CAN) – Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
22:00 San Francisco (PAN) vs. Verdes FC (BLZ) – Estadio Maracana, Balboa, Panama

Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Groups and Home Stadiuns
Group A
DIRECTV W Connection FC (TRI) – Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Deportivo Saprissa (CRC) – Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Ayma, San Juan de Tibas, San Jose, Costa Rica
Club Santos Laguna (MEX) – Estadio Corona, Torreon, Mexico

Group B
Asociacion Deportiva Isidro Metapan (SLV) – Estadio Jorge “Calero” Suarez, Metapan, El Salvador
Club Sport Herediano (CRC) – Estadio Eladio Rosabal Cordero, Heredia, Costa Rica
Club Tigres de la Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon (MEX) – Estadio Universitario, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

Group C
Verdes Football Club (BLZ) – F.F.B. Football Field, Belmopan, Belize
San Francisco F.C. (PAN) – Estadio Maracana de Panama, Balboa, Panama
Gallos Blancos de Queretaro (MEX) – Estadio Corregidora, Queretaro, Mexico

Group D
Central Football Club (TRI) – Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Comunicaciones Futbol Club, S.A. (GUA) – Estadio Cementos Progreso, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
L.A. Galaxy (USA) – StubHub Center, Carson, California, USA

Group E
Club Deportivo Walter Ferretti (NCA) – Estadio Nacional de Futbol de Nicaragua, Managua, Nicaragua
Club Deportivo Motagua (HON) – Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Club de Futbol America S.A. de C.V. (MEX) – Estadio Azteca, Ciudad de Mexico, D.F., Mexico

Group F
Vancouver Whitecaps F.C. (CAN) – B.C. Place, Vancouver, Canada
Club Olimpia Deportivo (HON) – Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Seattle Sounders F.C. (USA) – CenturyLink Field, Seattle, Washington, USA

Group G
Asociacion Santa Tecla Futbol Club (SLV) – Estadio Atletico Las Delicias, Santa Tecla, El Salvador
Club Social y Deportivo Municipal (GUA) – Estadio Mateo Flores, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
Real Salt Lake (USA) – Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah, USA

Group H
Montego Bay United Football Club (JAM) – Montego Bay Sports Complex, Montego Bay, Jamaica
Deportivo Arabe Unido (PAN) – Estadio Maracana de Panama, Balboa, Panama
D.C. United (USA) – R.F.K. Stadium, Washington D.C., USA

Official Team Names (“Common” Name)
*Listed in alphabetical order

Asociacion Deportiva Isidro Metapan (Isidro Metapan)
Asociacion Santa Tecla Futbol Club (Santa Tecla F.C.)
Central Football Club (Central F.C.)
Club de Futbol America S.A. de C.V. (Club America)
Club Deportivo Motagua (Motagua)
Club Deportivo Walter Ferretti (Ferretti)
Club Olimpia Deportivo (Club Olimpia)
Club Santos Laguna (Santos Laguna)
Club Social y Deportivo Municipal (Club Municipal)
Club Sport Herediano (Herediano)
Club Tigres de la Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon (Tigres)
Comunicaciones Futbol Club, S.A. (Comunicaciones F.C.)
D.C. United (D.C. United)
Deportivo Arabe Unido (Arabe Unido)
Deportivo Saprissa (Deportivo Saprissa)
DIRECTV W Connection F.C. (W Connection F.C.)
Gallos Blancos de Queretaro (Gallos Blancos de Queretaro)
L.A. Galaxy (L.A. Galaxy)
Montego Bay United Football Club (Montego Bay United)
Real Salt Lake (R.S.L.)
San Francisco F.C. (San Francisco)
Seattle Sounders F.C. (Sounders F.C.)
Vancouver Whitecaps F.C. (Vancouver Whitecaps)
Verdes Football Club (Verdes F.C.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom