• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Tomaszewicz (@shinguardian) 8:34pm - 7 May 14:

Don't believe the spin: SJE: Djalo, no more than 17 games in a season ANY YEAR of career, Gorlitz, 1 season of 30 games over past 5 years.
Gorlitz done for the season with an ACL injury. That'll about do it for the Quakes.
BnHhEvdIYAAVMEq.jpg
Might just be a scrimmage?

Germany 30-man roster

Here is the full 30-man roster:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern München), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (FC Bayern München), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Großkreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburger SV), Philipp Lahm (FC Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (FC Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke 04), Matthias Ginter (SC Freiburg), Leon Goretzka (Schalke 04), Mario Götze (FC Bayern München), Andre Hahn (FC Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (FC Bayern München), Max Meyer (Schalke 04), Thomas Müller (Bayern München), Mesut Özil (FC Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (FC Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schürrle (FC Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern München)

Strikers: Miroslav Klose (SS Lazio), Kevin Volland (1899 Hoffenheim)

D:

- The Shin Guardian takes a crack at a 30 / 23 man roster:
Here’s our 30 and our 23 for now. Short, sweet.

G (3): Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando
DEF (7): Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez, Clarence Goodson, Matt Besler, DaMarcus Beasley, Michael Parkhurst, Brad Evans
CM (4): Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Kyle Beckerman
MF (6): Clint Dempsey, Graham Zusi, Landon Donovan, Fabian Johnson, Ale Bedoya, Julian Green
FWD (3): Jozy Altidore, Eddie Johnson, Aron Johannsson

—

The 30:

DEF: John Brooks, Oguchi Onyewu, Tim Chandler
MID: Mix Diskerud, Danny Williams
FWD: Terrence Boyd, Chris Wondolowski

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Seeing as we are playing LA Saturday and need another win, I have no problem with Omar being out for the next week or so. :p

Also, re: Germany. I thought we already knew how stacked they were? This shouldn't be too surprising.

Saying they're stacked is one thing, but actually seeing it on paper is another.

xbhaskarx

Four future stars from the FA Youth Cup final

Emerson Hyndman

Fulham's official website describes Hyndman as "one of the most technically gifted players in the academy," which is quite the accolade, but not a misplaced one. Indeed, the club make no secret of their pride at having acquired the American's signature. Hyndman, born in Dallas and the grandson of former FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman, is an orchestrator, a midfielder who can dictate the play, and remains unruffled when on the ball in a congested area. On Monday night, he came short to receive the ball from his defenders on countless occasions.

Hyndman's qualities were perfectly exemplified in the first half when he assisted Roberts' wonderful goal. As if using a sand wedge, the 18-year-old dinked a through ball between Chelsea's defence and into the path of his teammate, ensuring he did not have to adjust his stride. The diminutive Hyndman, who was on target in the first leg, is contracted to the Cottagers until 2016, and the club would be wise to utilise the U.S. youth international on a regular basis during the 2014-15 Championship season.

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl now
Am told USMNT will have 3 goalkeepers (not 4) on 30-man preliminary World Cup roster being released Monday.

Gonna use that unlimited free transfer week next week to find a new GK for fantasy

Beasley coming back to MLS?
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/05/report-beasley-world.html

Major League Soccer could soon be on DeMarcus Beasley’s horizon.

Beasley has told Jesús López Chargoy, president of Mexican club Puebla FC, that he wants out to join MLS after the World Cup in Brazil, according to a report out of Mexico.

If Beasley makes the move, he will be following in the footsteps of fellow U.S. Men’s National Team players Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley, who both made high-profile moves back to the U.S. from abroad to join MLS.

I imagine we should start getting a little bit of roster leakage this weekend, but maybe we'll just have to wait until next week.

- Greg Seltzer takes a crack at the USMNT roster
Here is what my magic clipboard says when I shake it and ask "What 30 players would I bring to pre-World Cup training camp?"

G - Howard, Guzan, Rimando

CB - Besler, Goodson, Gonzalez, Onyewu, Ream, Brooks

WB - Cameron, F. Johnson, Parkhurst, Chandler, Evans

DM - Williams, Edu, Beckerman

CM - Bradley, Dempsey, Jones, Diskerud

W - Donovan, Zusi, Bedoya, Beasley, Green

F - Altidore, Jóhannsson, Boyd, Agudelo

My camp alternates, ready on standby: Clark, Hedges, Orozco, Beltran, Spector, Kljestan, Feilhaber, Shea, Wondolowski, E. Johnson

My apologies to Wondo(w), still injured Eric Lichaj and others. Even if I would not bet on him to make my final roster, Evans makes the camp over the exciting prospect of Yedlin because he earned the right to be there. Frankly, I would take a few more than 30 if allowed and both would come along with Spector.

However, I would likely not add candidates to the central midfield and strike groups (Agudelo sneaks the last of the 30 invites because of his physical tools and ability to make quick impact off the bench) unless it was required by injury. I want those particular stables listed above hoarding all the reps possible. There cannot be open tryouts everywhere at this date, sorry. The big one, of course, is in defensive midfield.

And yes, in part because all three DM's are in form for the fight, both FabJo and Cameron are now officially listed as wide defenders here. Sometimes, the decision you don't want to make has to be made anyway. This is World Cup, baby.

- Grant Wahl's roster prediction:
So which 30 players do I think Klinsmann will pick? Let’s dive in:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando.

Just Missed: Sean Johnson, Bill Hamid.

I’m told Klinsmann will have three goalies, not four, on his 30-man list. He also has to take three goalkeepers to Brazil, and these are the obvious choices.

DEFENDERS (10): Matt Besler, Omar González, Fabian Johnson, DaMarcus Beasley, Brad Evans, Geoff Cameron, Clarence Goodson, Michael Parkhurst, John Brooks, DeAndre Yedlin.

Just Missed: Tim Ream, Timmy Chandler, Edgar Castillo, Tony Beltrán, Michael Orozco.

The surprise to some here might be Yedlin, 20, the promising right back for Seattle. But I’m told Yedlin has performed well in training and could be rewarded with a call-up here. If you include Yedlin, that means probably not including Chandler, who has been in good form lately in Germany but hasn’t been part of Klinsmann’s U.S. outfit since February 2013. Ream is another player who has been good at club level lately but hasn’t been involved with the U.S. in a long time. If Klinsmann does include Ream and Chandler, you’ll know that he’s putting more value on recent club form and less on recent experience with the national team.

MIDFIELDERS (12): Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Mix Diskerud, Alejandro Bedoya, Kyle Beckerman, Brad Davis, Julian Green, Maurice Edu, Eddie Johnson, Brek Shea.

Just Missed: Sacha Kljestan, Danny Williams, Joe Corona, José Torres, Luis Gil, Benny Feilhaber.

Shea has had an extremely disappointing time since he moved to England, but his fairly unique skill-set as a wide-left player means I think Klinsmann will call him in. I can see Davis, another wide left player, and Shea competing for one of the spots on the 23. As for Green, he hasn’t played at club level since separating his shoulder in the U.S.-Mexico friendly in early April. If Green isn’t fully fit, would Klinsmann consider not bringing him to camp?

FORWARDS (5): Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Aron Jóhannsson, Terrence Boyd, Chris Wondolowski.

Just Missed: Hérculez Gómez, Juan Agudelo.

The main battle for a spot on the 23 here figures to be between Boyd and Wondolowski, though it’s possible neither one could make it.
More discussion via the link.

Grant Wahl said:
Only USMNT training sessions free & open to public will be day before game at stadiums in San Francisco; Harrison, N.J.; and Jacksonville.
Not the first time Klinsmann has changed course. Had said would release US 23-man WC squad on June 2. Now May 30 on Good Morning America.
US Soccer now tells me info in press release was incorrect and 23-man WC roster will not be released on GMA May 30. No set date on release.

Nesotenso

seems Agudelo's work permit hearing failed again. Not the worst thing in the world. Another season in the Eredivisie might benefit him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So it's been confirmed that the US will face off against Belgium in a closed door scrimmage on June 12. The schedule seems pretty tight in the lead up to the World Cup.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
With the new ESPN/Fox deal about to be announced, rumor is MLS Live will be going away since both stations have their own streaming services.

Askani

What was that Montreal player thinking? He commited a clear and blatant handball. If that wasn't enough, he did it again to make sure the ref saw it.

With the new ESPN/Fox deal about to be announced, rumor is MLS Live will be going away since both stations have their own streaming services.
That's bullshit because my provider doesn't have a deal with watxh ESPN. Need to watch my Canadian teams and others that aren't broadcasted enough...

Askani

Ben Jata @Ben_Jata:

.@SportingKC just completed 52 passes in a row. #MTLvSKC

.@SportingKC finishes with 803 passes & Oriol Rosell finishes with 160 of his own; both @MLS records since Opta started recording stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom