• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Breakfast of champions.

btXWJ5z.jpg

xbhaskarx

Colorado - Chivas in the snow wasn't half bad, either... Cubo Torres scored once again, and then Marvin Chavez had two against the team that traded him away like two days ago.

Dartastic

I don't know how that game ended. It was too far away, and i was kinda drunk as I have been at the field since 9:30 am. That being said. WOOOO A DRAAAAW

....glad Landon didn't score that goal.

Guess I should have started Harry Shipp again this week instead of subbing in Jose Mari who only ended up playing in the one Rapids game. Missed out on an extra three goals and an assist. Can't really complain fantasy wise this week.

Still nice to see the Fire finally get a win even if their defense is suspect as a mother fucker.

ngower

Excellent...

KyrCuXb.gif

To be honest, though, we're not even playing that well. Seattle are leaving so much space in the back every time they get up the field and we're countering clinically.

xbhaskarx

So in the last three weeks New England has beaten Kansas City, Toronto, and Seattle by a combined score of 9-1. From those teams Klinsmann has called in at least seven guys (Zusi, Besler, Feilhaber, Bradley, Dempsey, Evans, Yedlin) and most of them will make the 30 man World Cup roster tomorrow. Meanwhile he's never even mentioned guys like Nguyen and Rowe by name, or any of the defenders who have yet to give up a goal at home this season, and last year Agudelo couldn't get called in to the national team even when he was averaging a goal every 90 minutes...

ngower

The problem is that it's truly in the middle of nowhere. 45 minutes from Boston and Providence and only accessible by car. Opening up the commuter rail stop DIRECTLY OUTSIDE THE STADIUM could go a long way to alleviating some of the issues until a permanent solution can be made, but the ownership has said time and time again it's beyond their jurisdiction (despite opening it up for college football and college lacrosse games...). They also have a history of treating their diehard fans like dog shit—thus driving them away—and tend to advertise a more family-friendly product. Hell, you can see it in the highlights of the game against the Sounders: after a goal is scored they cut to the Fort losing their minds and then to a mom and her kids clapping like they're at a golf game.

A stadium in Boston isn't happening anytime soon and we just have to accept it. I don't think the Revs situation changes unless we have an SKC moment where some Mark Cuban-esque owner comes in and shapes the club. While we're under Kraft I think we're trapped in Gillette Stadium purgatory in perpetuity.

Ghana 26-man prelim squad

Here is Ghana’s roster in full:

GOALKEEPERS: Adam Kwarasey, Fatau Dauda, Stephen Adams

DEFENDERS: Samuel Inkoom, Daniel Opare, Harrison Afful, Jeffrey Schullp, John Boye, Jonathan Mensah, Jerry Akaminko, Rashid Sumaila

MIDFIELDERS: Michael Essien, Rabiu Mohammed, Agyemang Badu, Kwadwo Asamoah, Sulley Muntari, Albert Adomah, Wakasu Mubarak, Christian Atsu, David Accam, Andre Ayew, Afriyie Acquah

FORWARDS: Asamoah Gyan, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Abdul Majeed Waris, Jordan Ayew

Nesotenso

I think the deal is good in many respects. I would have liked a shorter deal than eight years but around 700 million is nothing to sneeze at. My issue is that there seems to be no mandate that games be on Fox Sports 1. I don't know if there will be a ratings growth over eight years if games are stuck on ESPN 2 and Fox Sports 2.

daoster

Hopeful of all the games being streamed at no additional cost like the Premier League. It'd do wonders for the league's popularity going forward.

If the games are on ESPN, then that will be a given that it will be streamed at no additional cost (given the condition that your service provider allows you to stream WatchESPN).

Don't know about FOX Sports though...do they even have a streaming service? I hope they have that shit up and running to be on par ESPN's especially since they have the next two World Cups after this one...

Meier

If the games are on ESPN, then that will be a given that it will be streamed at no additional cost (given the condition that your service provider allows you to stream WatchESPN).

Don't know about FOX Sports though...do they even have a streaming service? I hope they have that shit up and running to be on par ESPN's especially since they have the next two World Cups after this one...

Fox only streams what is on TV (Fox, FS1, FS2) but of course the vast majority of people don't have Fox Sports 2 unless they pay another $10 or something. No "overflow" channels for Fox Sports online or otherwise.

Like NBCSN, Time Warner does not have a deal with Fox Sports Go for streaming.

gutshot

The non-televised games will be streamed on ESPN3 though, not WatchESPN.

Earlier Monday, I broke the news that ESPN3 will be taking over MLS Live, the league's online streaming platform for games not nationally televised. You'll now be able to watch those streams through ESPN's website.

Ourand and Botta have more detals on that here. They also report that the Direct Kick out-of-market TV package is going away, though as they note, it has far fewer subscribers than other leagues' TV packages. So that won't be too much of a hit to suffer.

It is an enormous step for the league to take, and one that has the potential to pay very big dividends. Using ESPN3 to bring MLS games directly to the casual soccer fan - and indeed, the greater American sports fan base - will dramatically expand the league's exposure.

ESPN3 offers a wide range of sports content, most notably college football and basketball from the Southeastern, Atlantic Coast and American Athletic Conferences. So if you're an Alabama or Rutgers football fan, or a Duke or Temple basketball fan, you've likely watched a game on ESPN3 at some point.

You've probably also watched plenty of other soccer content through ESPN3 over the years, such as UEFA World Cup and European Championship qualifying. Or if you're a tennis fan, you've watched ESPN3's multi-court coverage of the four grand slams and other tournaments year-round.

Historically, ESPN3's content has been available free of charge with authenticated access through participating internet service providers.

(That is a different tier of service from WatchESPN, the online simulcasts of ESPN's linear TV channels, which requires authenticated access through participating pay-TV providers.)

But I was told Monday, and SBJ later confirmed, that discussions have been ongoing for MLS games on ESPN3 to not follow that model. There could be a paid subscription package for people who don't have ESPN3 access through their ISPs.

More details on how to access ESPN3 content, including a list of participating providers, are available here. In addition to being available via ESPN's website, ESPN3 has apps for iOS, Android and Windows 8 devices, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox Live and Amazon's FireTV.

As I reported Saturday, this was the last major hurdle in the negotiations of the deal. The digital rights to MLS broadcasts are of considerable value. For as much as the dramatic increase in rights money is a commitment to MLS on the field, it also sends a message about the league's potential to grow off the field.

I do not know what will happen to Canadian fans who subscribe to MLS Live, as ESPN3 is geoblocked in Canada. It wouldn't be too hard to lift the geoblock just for ESPN games, but that is just one of many potential options.

Bell Media, MLS' national broadcaster in Canada, has the capacity to run MLS streams through its website and TSN Go app, but will it take that jump? It's not yet known. There could also be a Canada-specific paid online streaming package.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...h-ESPN-Fox-Univision.html#Y4x43M0oqAZEvu1e.99

Askani

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 1m
USSF will announce 30-man World Cup camp roster a few minutes before 3 pm ET. Klinsmann conference call with reporters to follow

EDIT::::: Damnit, CB! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom