• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great deal for MLS, but I absolutely hate Fox's graphics for its sports programs. Ugliest on-screen graphics across all major channels.

Osorio

Are they going to have games on Saturday nights?

I hate that the red bulls are on national tv all the time because it decreases the amount of Saturday night home games. The Chicago game was the first Saturday night game of the season!

gutshot

I had no idea ESPN3 was different from WatchESPN. Thought ESPN3 became WatchESPN.

Yeah, it's confusing. ESPN3 is all online-only content and it's accessible to non-cable subscribers, provided your ISP is one of ESPN's partners. WatchESPN is an online stream of stuff that is on ESPN and you need a cable sub to view it.

I think that if you have cable and WatchESPN, then you automatically have ESPN3 too. I'm not positive about that, but if that is the case, anyone with ESPN would be able to stream all of the MLS games at no extra charge.

All told, this is a great deal for the league. I'm excited to see the influx of talent that should find its way into MLS given all this new money. It's time for Jozy, et al. to come home.

Here's the PR from MLS Soccer:
ESPN Networks

- Minimum of 34 regular season games, on an exclusive basis, on Sundays at 5 p.m. ET primarily on ESPN2.
- ESPN and FOX Sports will share MLS Cup Playoff matches outside of the two Univision games.
- MLS Cup will alternate each year between ESPN and FOX Sports 1.
- The AT&T MLS All-Star Game will alternate each year between ESPN and FOX Sports 1.
- ESPN and FOX Sports will split all U.S. Soccer matches.
- ESPN3 will carry the matches in MLS’ out-of-market package.
- ESPN Radio and ESPN Deportes Radio networks have the rights to broadcast MLS matches.
- ESPN obtains digital rights across all platforms and devices for the games it televises.

“ESPN remains firmly committed to world-class soccer and this agreement underscores our belief that this is an ascendant sports property,” said Skipper. “We are proud to continue our longstanding relationship with MLS and U.S. Soccer, and the broad media rights we have acquired, including enhanced digital rights, will benefit all our platforms.”

FOX Sports

- Minimum of 34 regular season games, on an exclusive basis, on Sundays at 7 p.m. ET primarily on FOX Sports 1.
- FOX Sports 1 and ESPN will split MLS Cup Playoff matches outside of the two Univision games.
- MLS Cup will alternate each year between FOX Sports 1 and ESPN.
- The AT&T MLS All-Star Game will alternate each year between FOX Sports 1 and ESPN.
- FOX Sports obtains digital rights across all platforms and devices for the games it televises, including its FOX Sports GO mobile app and FOXSportsGO.com for desktops.
- FOX Sports obtain digital highlight rights for MLS’s out-of-market package via FOX Sports digital platforms.
- ESPN and FOX Sports 1 will split all U.S. Soccer matches.
- FOX Sports Radio network has the opportunity to broadcast MLS matches. 

“This groundbreaking deal represents a giant leap forward in the exposure for, and the commitment to, soccer in the U.S.,” said Eric Shanks, president, COO and executive producer for FOX Sports. “Not only are we making a significant financial commitment, but we also plan to mobilize FOX’s substantial promotional resources to raise awareness and grow the fan base for our nation’s premier soccer league and its national teams.”

Univision

- Minimum of 34 regular season games, on an exclusive basis, on Friday evenings usually at 7 p.m. ET or 11 p.m. ET, primarily on UniMás.
- Two MLS Cup Playoff matches per season, on an exclusive basis, during the knockout round.
- The AT&T MLS All-Star Game and MLS Cup, exclusively in Spanish on Univision.
- All U.S. Soccer Men’s National Team matches, including a minimum of four U.S. Women’s National Team matches each year over the term.
- Exclusive MLS matches on the Univision networks will include Second Audio Program (SAP), providing viewers the option of watching games in English. English audio also will be available for matches televised on Univision’s digital platforms.
- Univision Deportes Network (UDN), Univision’s 24-hour sports network, will feature 5-7 consecutive Friday doubleheaders in May and June that will be surrounded by two hours of MLS ancillary programming.
- UDN will televise a weekly Sunday MLS wrap-up program and a condensed MLS match of the week.
- Univision obtains digital rights across all platforms and mobile devices for the games it televises.

xbhaskarx

F9D752A376D9489985E574275EB550E2.ashx

SI link.
SI said:
Here are the 30 men who will battle for 23 plane tickets to Brazil:

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Meier

Slightly clearer version:

BndPpZVCYAIVeL8.png:large

Does Aron look photoshopped to anyone else? Lol. Not gonna lie, I kinda feel bad for Eddie Johnson.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought Ream might have a chance given the year he's had, little disappointed on that front. I do feel a little bad for EJ, but the writing was on the wall after those comments.

It looks like a good roster, Klinnsman is going to have a hard time whittling this one down.

xbhaskarx

Pleasantly surprised to not see EJ, Kljestan, Castillo, Torres... glad to see Chandler and Brooks, hopefully that keeps one or two mediocre defenders out of the 23 man roster.

Was hoping for Agudelo, Feilhaber, or Nguyen but that was never going to happen.

Interesting how some guys played their way off the roster (EJ, Shea), but others didn't (Evans), and others couldn't play their way on to it (Agudelo, Ream)....

Now I just hope the non-Guzan Brads, Evans and Davis, don't make the final 23.

PCarrESPN said:
#USMNT prelim roster by league/country: MLS 15, Germany 4, England 4, Mexico 2, 1 each for Austria, France, Netherlands, Norway, Turkey.
shinguardian said:
The US brings 5 potential RBs (Evans, Cam, Yedlin, Chandler, Parhurst) into camp. Suggests Geoff Cameron may be given a CB look again. #YES

At this point I think I would go:

GK: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
DF: Beasley, Besler, Cameron, Chandler, Gonzalez, Goodson, Johnson, Parkhurst
MF: Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Diskerud, Green, Jones, Zusi
FW: Altidore, Boyd, Dempsey, Donovan, Johannsson

Leaving out:
DF: Brooks, Evans, Yedlin
MF: Corona, Davis, Edu
FW: Wondolowski

But, of course the next month would be key

Slizz

Yedlin gonna get consistent play time? Also, while I understand why, but its kinda weird to have Green on the squad. He really didn't look to comfortable in the one appearance I saw him in for the NT.

Really on the fence, now that many of the USMNT guys play in MLS and I'm a Union fan (I know), if I want to get a custom jersey, I have no idea who to get without feeling dirty.

I feel like Edu is only with us for a cup of coffee, so, not getting him just cause he's on our team.

Kinda leaning Bradley...

ngower

Yedlin looked like a fool against a 19 year old yesterday. Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, et al would murder him. Feel bad for Ream—Yedlin doesn't deserve this spot yet.

My gut reaction 23:

Altidore; Johannson; Wondolowski

Beckerman; Bedoya; Bradley; Dempsey; Mix; Donovan; Edu; Jones; Zusi

Beasley; Besler; Chandler; Gonzalez; Goodson; Johnson; Parkhurst; Cameron

Guzan; Howard; Rimando

Meier

Yedlin gonna get consistent play time? Also, while I understand why, but its kinda weird to have Green on the squad. He really didn't look to comfortable in the one appearance I saw him in for the NT.

I thought he looked a lot more comfortable after he injured his shoulder oddly enough. That seemed to give him a jolt. He's about the only guy we have who can run at a defender and make something happen to be honest. Could be our Januzaj if you will.

xbhaskarx

shinguardian said:
The US brings 5 potential RBs (Evans, Cam, Yedlin, Chandler, Parhurst) into camp. Suggests Geoff Cameron may be given a CB look again. #YES

Hopefully Chandler at RB with Parkhurst as the backup means Cameron and Brooks can battle Gonzalez for the second starting CB spot, or maybe Cameron can even replace Jones at DM if he's still doing crazy things.

Any update on Gonzalez's knee(?) problem? That's probably another reason why they might move Cameron to CB.

Also:
@PCarrESPN said:
Two #USMNT players listed at different positions than last time: Donovan now a forward; Fabian Johnson now a defender.
@BrianSciaretta said:
My observation is that a central defense pairing of Geoff Cameron and Matt Besler is looking likely in Brazil #usmnt

EDIT2:
@JeffreyCarlisle said:
Klinsmann says Julian Green is "completely healthy" and "all ready to go." #usmnt

Slizz

I thought he looked a lot more comfortable after he injured his shoulder oddly enough. That seemed to give him a jolt. He's about the only guy we have who can run at a defender and make something happen to be honest. Could be our Januzaj if you will.

GODreen.

I'm for it.

xbhaskarx

Also:
Two #USMNT players listed at different positions than last time: Donovan now a forward; Fabian Johnson now a defender.

Finally, I've been beating that drum for like 18 months.

Maybe Klinsmann finally realizes that Beasley and Evans as our starting fullbacks would be a disaster...

Anybody else want to continue with Bradley in front of beckerman in the midfield?

It depends on whether Klinsmann can control Jones or not. Beckerman is good at what he does but he is s l o w. If Jones doesn't accept his "6" role I'd like to see Cameron start there.

daoster

This is interesting.

Doug McIntyre ‏@DougMacESPN 3m
Player who scored WC berth-clinching goal for #usmnt won’t make final roster for 3rd straight cycle (Ralston ’05, Casey ’09, EJ ’13).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom