• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

You would think he learned this with his adventures in England the first time...and second division in Spain...didn't he go to Turkey too?

yup, not good enough for La Liga so he was loaned out to 2nd division spain, turkey, and england. Not good enough during any of those loan spells.

I still think US fans tend to over hype their players and in cases like this, it goes to their heads. Hopefully riding the bench and watching others do what he couldn't to get Sunderland out of the relegation zone has changed something in him because we're going to need goals.

Meier

10365926_687163114677441_6886106284573422805_n.jpg

Not sure if this is a mock-up or what. Looks very nice either way -- still would have liked another color (red) included though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
10365926_687163114677441_6886106284573422805_n.jpg

Not sure if this is a mock-up or what. Looks very nice either way -- still would have liked another color (red) included though.

That does look really good.

On a related note I still really hope Miami's team is going to be the Vice.

xbhaskarx

Live series finale?

Yup. I wonder what that will entail.
Edit:
Full Episode Schedule Announced for New ESPN Series ‘Inside: U.S. Soccer’s March to Brazil’

Produced by Jonathan Hock and Roger Bennett, the six-episode, documentary series from ESPN Films, the production group behind 30 for 30, will air as follows (all times ET):

May 13, Tuesday, 7-8 p.m.: Series premiere
May 21, Wednesday, 7-7:30 p.m.: Episode 2
May 29, Thursday, 7:30-8 p.m.: Episode 3
June 3, Tuesday, 7:30-8 p.m.: Episode 4
June 10, Tuesday, 8:30-9:30 p.m.: Episode 5
June 11, Wednesday, 9:30-10 p.m.: LIVE series finale – Epilogue

In the series premiere, viewers will get to know various players from the team, as well as head coach Jurgen Klinsmann, a World Cup champion as a player and former coach of Germany’s national team. Subsequent episodes will shadow coaches and players as they undergo a demanding preparation camp at Stanford University and follow the team as it plays three Send-Off Series matches beginning with the U.S. vs. Azerbaijan, Powered by Yingli Solar on May 27 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.
Additionally, the series will spotlight the announcement of the final 23-man roster and reveal behind-the-scenes footage of the USA’s final two Send-Off Series matches against Turkey at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey on June 1 and Nigeria at EverBank Field in Jacksonville, Florida, on June 7. The series culminates in a live finale, featuring analysis and discussion of the 2014 U.S. Men’s National Team World Cup squad.

xbhaskarx

Man, this ESPN documentary seems so cool. Too bad I don't have cable.

I'm sure it will be up on Youtube and other places shortly...

Logo for the 2016 Copa America

RpBNKHT.jpg

CopaCentenario2016-2-CONCACAF.jpg

Set against a black backdrop, the logo features a sleek design of the Copa America trophy in the middle with red, blue, and green curves forming the shape of a soccer ball. The years 1916 and 2016 signify the CONMEBOL’s upcoming centennial and the streaks of color circling the trophy represent the two confederations, blue for CONCACAF and green for CONMEBOL.

The logo was designed by British-based company The Works, Ltd. and features a red, white, and blue stripe next to the word “USA” at the bottom of the logo, signifying the hosting country for the tournament.

What makes us blue and them green? I love this trend in the least few years of explaining how every part of new soccer logos is a reference to something or the other...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
How has Donovans MLS form been? He seemed resigned to not playing much in Brazil. Is Klinsmann still mad at him for his sabbatical?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How has Donovans MLS form been? He seemed resigned to not playing much in Brazil. Is Klinsmann still mad at him for his sabbatical?

He looked good in the game vs Portland. He was all over the field, if he plays like that during camp he's going for sure.

NoRéN

Seems like it and explains Donovan's attitude. No fucks to give. At least he can't be blamed if the tournament goes bad. :)

Meier

I was surprised a little surprised at how candid JK was in the interviews. No punches were pulled by him, that's for sure.

It was also interesting to see that they did the photoshoot with Jozy, Clint and Tim for the new kit so far in advance to its actual unveiling. Surprised it didn't leak sooner.. I guess they were trying harder to keep it under wraps since no one would like it anyway. :p

Osorio

The show definitely made it seem as if Donovan's playing time will be limited not just by jurgen but by his own pansyness

Steven Goff said:
*Several readers have asked if Arsenal’s Gedion Zelalem did, in fact, receive his U.S. passport, as I suggested two weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge, he was processed in Baltimore last week. I do not, however, have any official confirmation. And unless the family decides to speak out, I wouldn’t expect any formal statements. My guess is Juergen Klinsmann would prefer that the topic is not raised in public circles until after the World Cup. Zelalem will have the choice of representing the United States, Germany (his birthplace and boyhood home) or Ethiopia (family heritage). Zelalem, 17, lived in the D.C. area for six years and starred with Olney Rangers, an elite youth squad in Maryland, before signing with Arsenal last year.

Anywhere I can stream the show from last night? I don't see it on WatchESPN.
I don't see it up anywhere. They'll probably rerun it at some point.

Askani

Well hell.

Zusi - World Cup
Besler - World Cup
Opara - Hurt
Olum - Africa Nations Cup Qualifiers

And now, the worst news for SKC, Rosell transfer rumors to Sporting Lisbon. This is going to suck hard.

Nesotenso

No idea if I should swap out players for the midweek and weekend games for this week. Have the mls guys already left?

As far as our CB woes go, time for SKC to give EPB a shot. I think Vermes was planning to debut him in the open cup. But at this rate he might end up playing some league games.

Meier

xbhaskarx

NBC says 4.9M in US watch Premier League last day

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC says 4.9 million viewers tuned in to watch U.S. English-language coverage Sunday of the 10 matches on the final day of the English Premier League season.

The total was up 172 percent from the previous high of 1.8 million for coverage on the last day of the 2011-12 season on ESPN2 and nine Fox networks. NBC said Tuesday the figures include anyone who watched at least 6 minutes.

The combined average viewership of the games on 10 NBCUniversal networks was 1.8 million, up 107 percent from 869,000 on the final day in 2011-12.

In data released Tuesday, NBC said 31.5 million viewers saw Premier League coverage on its networks this season, up from 13.3 million last year, when U.S. rights were shared by Fox and ESPN.

NBC and NBCSN averaged 438,000 viewers, up 99 percent from last season's combined average of 220,000 on ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox Soccer.

The three most-watched games were on NBC: Cardiff-Swansea on Feb. 8 (1.24 million), Swansea-Manchester United on Jan. 11 (1.1 million) and Manchester United-Crystal Palace on Feb. 22 (1.06 million).

The top-rated market for NBC and NBCSN combined was Washington, D.C., followed by New York; Baltimore; Boston; Seattle; Richmond, Virginia; San Francisco-Oakland; Norfolk, Virginia; Providence, Rhode Island; Philadelphia; and Chicago.

Askani

Maurice Edu is the first player in camp. Good news for SKC since we play Philly tonight. Not sure why he didn't stick around for the game.

xbhaskarx

Colorado Rapids sign 20-year-old defender John Neeskens, son of Dutch great Johan Neeskens

The Colorado Rapids announced the signing of 20-year-old defender John Neeskens on Wednesday, improving the club's depth and providing head coach Pablo Mastroeni with a useful option on either flank.

The son of Dutch great Johan Neeskens, the Rapids' new signing has been on trial in Colorado for a month and already played in several reserve matches.

Neeskens spent the past two seasons in Spain, playing for Segunda B teams CF Badalona and UE Sant Andreu. He trained with Sporting Kansas City in 2012 alongside former Barcelona teammate Uri Rosell, who eventually signed with Kansas City.

Neeskens' youth career was spent in the academy systems at Villarreal and FC Barcelona. He can play on either side of defense or midfield, as well as in a holding midfield role.

Okay that's fine and all but

Neeskens was born in Tulsa, Okla., and has citizenship in the US, Spain, and the Netherlands, and will not count as an International Player on the Rapids roster.

His father Johan helped lead the Netherlands to consecutive appearances in the World Cup final in 1974 and 1978 and played for Ajax, Barcelona and in the old NASL with the New York Cosmos.

Let's see if he's anything like his dad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom