• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edu gearing up for practice.

v0Yy9e0.jpg

Klinsmann presser going on right now:
21 of 30 US players here now, Klinsmann says. Premier League guys arriving Sunday.

Klinsmann says Omar Gonzalez running a couple days late with knee recovery, should be ready to go soon.

xbhaskarx

soccerstadium_t653.jpg

An artist’s rendering shows a proposed design for a future Major League Soccer stadium to be located in Symphony Park near the Smith Center.

Las Vegas could get pro soccer team, downtown stadium

Las Vegas could be getting a Major League Soccer franchise.

Findlay Sports and Entertainment and The Cordish Companies today announced plans to build a 24,000-seat stadium downtown at Symphony Park. The stadium would be designed specifically for a pro soccer team.

An official from MLS confirmed discussions to bring a franchise to Las Vegas.
“We recently met with Justin Findlay and Blake Cordish at the MLS League office in New York and were very impressed with their vision to pursue building a new soccer stadium and acquiring an MLS expansion club for Las Vegas,” MLS Deputy Commissioner and President Mark Abbott said in a statement. “We look forward to continuing discussions as they work to further develop their plans with Mayor Goodman and the City of Las Vegas.”
Gotta love the way the league office is creating artificial scarcity:
MLS is expanding from 19 to 24 teams — New York, Miami, Orlando and Atlanta have already received new franchises. Justin Findlay, managing partner of Findlay Sports and Entertainment, says Las Vegas is competing with Austin, Minneapolis, Sacramento, San Antonio and San Diego for the 24th franchise. Those projects are significantly ahead in the planning stages, Findlay said.

"It will be a race to see who can put the best package together," Findlay said. “A lot of people are vying for the last spot. They are a few cities working on it longer. But like I told the league, it’s one thing to work on it longer, but who is coming up with the best plan?”

Findlay officials said the investment in the stadium and team would be in excess of $300 million

Askani

Philly came to thug tonight. I guess when you're at the bottom of the barrel you've got nothing to lose. Worked out as a win for them.

In fairness we looked pretty flat and turned some good chances into crap. We didn't do ourselves any favors.

Nesotenso

I think Aron is the first option of the bench after Dempsey and Altidore. JK might play Landon as a forward as well like he did in the Gold Cup. If it comes down to Wondo and Boyd, I take Boyd. Like for like for Altidore.

Osorio

So TFC had to play 120 minutes and PKs before our game against them Saturday.

That would be a confidence booster for any team but Metro.

Philly came to thug tonight. I guess when you're at the bottom of the barrel you've got nothing to lose. Worked out as a win for them.

In fairness we looked pretty flat and turned some good chances into crap. We didn't do ourselves any favors.

I'd describe that win for us as "scrappy". Also "much needed".

Good to hear that Johannsson's ankle is feeling better.

- Steven Goff with a camp update including info on all of the players that aren't there yet and what they're up to:
Not everyone was on the field right away:

Graham Zusi and Matt Besler played 90 apiece Wednesday in Sporting Kansas City’s 2-1 home loss to Philadelphia. “We played like crap,” Besler said.

Maurice Edu did not play for the Union after suffering concussion symptoms and flew straight to California. Because of the head issues, however, the medical staff limited his activities Wednesday.

Michael Bradley went 120 minutes for Toronto FC in a Canadian Championship semifinal with Vancouver. (TFC advanced on penalty kicks after a 3-3 draw through two matches and extra time to advance to the final against Montreal.)

Omar Gonzalez, sidelined by a knee injury for more than a week, underwent treatment here with the aim of beginning workouts at the end of the week.

Aron Johannsson has remained with AZ Alkmaar for the Eredivisie’s Europa League playoff with Groningen, Thursday at home and Sunday away.

Jermaine Jones and Besiktas remain in contention for a Champions League qualifying berth heading into Saturday’s Turkish league finale against Genclerbirligi.

Tim Howard, Brad Guzan and Geoff Cameron were excused until the weekend.

Mix Diskerud was scheduled to arrive late in the day after serving in the 18 (but not playing) for Rosenborg on Monday.

*Klinsmann has scheduled an intrasquad scrimmage for Saturday. All sessions at Stanford are closed to the public. Most will also be closed to the media. The scrimmage is closed, as well. The team utilized Stanford Stadium, the 50,000-seat football venue, on Wednesday but will also access the adjacent soccer facility regularly.

Askani

I'd describe that win for us as "scrappy". Also "much needed".

Philly had 20 fouls, 2 yellows for tackles, a straight red for a tackle, a yellow for time wasting, and multiple end game flops.

Scrappy?

I will agree with you about the much needed part though. We didn't deserve to win that game. Truth be told I'm not even sure we earned a draw if we got one. Zusi was already in USMNT camp mentally. Our attack was flat. On the second Union goal, Olum completely blew it. He was blocking the keeper and leaving the goal scorer unmarked. Dom was Dom, Rosell was good, Nagamura was decent. New guy Igor had some great touches. Other than that...not much of anything.

And a side note, there's five minutes of stoppage time, you give a yellow for time wasting in stoppage time, and you don't add any extra time? Salazar'd.

Osorio

We didn't play our best team but even then TFC is crap so enjoy the 3 easy points.

I'd assume Bradley is out so that's good for our midfield

We're going to be missing Miller and Cahill so...our fullbacks will be either rookies or two dudes who have been out for 2 months because of injuries.

Definitely not easy 3 points

Steven Goff said:
Tix sales for USA-Nigeria in Jacksonville: 25,000+. Turkey at Red Bull Arena almost sold out. Azerbaijan in SF well behind #usmnt
Ugh, this is disappointing. They really should've have put the game somewhere other than Candlestick. It's an awful stadium and getting there is a hassle.

Osorio

Azerbaijan is also the least appealing opponent by far.

I wonder if USsf is reaching out to the outlaws chapters and such for tickets here. There's a huge Turkish population in Paterson, nj and Staten Island that would love to see their team close to home

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Azerbaijan is also the least appealing opponent by far.

I wonder if USsf is reaching out to the outlaws chapters and such for tickets here. There's a huge Turkish population in Paterson, nj and Staten Island that would love to see their team close to home

The game at RedBull is almost sold out, they won't have any problems selling the rest :lol

Osorio

NoRéN;112177024 said:
What were they thinking with SF when Stub Hub Center is so nice
and conviniently located to me :)
Kendrick Lamar's studio was right around the corner from that stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom