• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm saying did they hold them for outlaws so its a pro USA crowd

Ah, well there were like 4 pre-orders for members of the US National Team Supporter's Club. Which is how I got my tickets. Then a VISA pre-order, then a lottery for whatever was left over. I think it's safe to say it'll be a pretty pro-US crowd.

NoRéN

Yes, the opponent isn't helping either. I'm just annoyed that we very rarely get a game here, and if attendance is low for this game then that trend might continue.

They really overestimated the draw such a small eastern european country would have in SF.

xbhaskarx

I remember there was talk of a friendly against Iran. Even that would have done far better given the number of Iranian-Americans in the bay area (and SoCal). And at least they're actually going to the World Cup.

In terms of location, the Quakes have shown that 50-55k soccer fans will come out to Stanford Stadium...

Dartastic

Ugh, this is disappointing. They really should've have put the game somewhere other than Candlestick. It's an awful stadium and getting there is a hassle.
I don't live in the Bay anymore, but oh man would I love to see a soccer stadium IN the city. I'd imagine that AT&T Park as a soccer/baseball stadium would be preferred to going all the way to San Jose.

xbhaskarx

I'd love to see MLS build a stadium somewhere in SF and put an expansion team there. I think to truly reach their potential the league needs soccer stadiums in (aside from NYC which should happen eventually) Boston, DC, SF, and LA.

I'd imagine that AT&T Park as a soccer/baseball stadium would be preferred to going all the way to San Jose.

I've been to two soccer games at AT&T Park, Quakes vs Dynamo in 2012 (the Quakes only home loss that season), Everton vs Juventus last summer (Everton won on PKs thanks to Timmy) and it's... soccer in a baseball stadium. Somehow even the fans seem less into it. It's certainly nowhere near what you get with Stanford Stadium...

Osorio

I'd love to see MLS build a stadium somewhere in SF and put an expansion team there. I think to truly reach their potential the league needs soccer stadiums in (aside from NYC which should happen eventually) Boston, DC, SF, LA..
Boston for sure. Gillette is garbage

Dc is already accessible by metro with their stadium proposal next to nationals ballpark

Sf would be dope. An expanded kezar stadium would be so amazing but horrible for logistics.

And does it matter if there's no stadium in la proper? It's not like their train system takes you anywhere

xbhaskarx

And does it matter if there's no stadium in la proper? It's not like their train system takes you anywhere

LA is massive, Carson is a really long drive for a lot of people. One of the teams being in a more centrally located stadium would be huge for the popularity of MLS in LA. If LA2 build a stadium in a good location they could be join the ranks of MLS superclubs.

I'd love to see MLS build a stadium somewhere in SF and put an expansion team there. I think to truly reach their potential the league needs soccer stadiums in (aside from NYC which should happen eventually) Boston, DC, SF, and LA.

Boston for sure. Gillette is garbage

Problem is where to put it, not necessarily the money. They had been looking at Somerville, but that realistically won't happen until Green Line Extension happens, I'd think. There's a part in Allston that would have land freed up once the project to straighten out the Pike gets going, but I think the fuckers over at Harvard own bunch of that land. Ideally I would love to see a stadium there; it would straddle Boston and Cambridge.

There have been rumblings of a Boston Olympic bid... If that happens there will definitely be a soccer stadium built if they were to win it.

Osorio

LA is massive, Carson is a really long drive for a lot of people. One of the teams being in a more centrally located stadium would be huge for the popularity of MLS in LA. If LA2 build a stadium in a good location they could be join the ranks of MLS superclubs.
I can see that. The galaxy won't be having any celebrities coming to games (post beckham) if the stadium is in Carson. It's on a college campus, nothing around but a Starbucks, Compton is around the corner.

I also figure the galaxy could do with dropping their ticket prices just a bit.

Osorio

Problem is where to put it, not necessarily the money. They had been looking at Somerville, but that realistically won't happen until Green Line Extension happens, I'd think. There's a part in Allston that would have land freed up once the project to straighten out the Pike gets going, but I think the fuckers over at Harvard own bunch of that land. Ideally I would love to see a stadium there; it would straddle Boston and Cambridge.

There have been rumblings of a Boston Olympic bid... If that happens there will definitely be a soccer stadium built if they were to win it.
Putting a stadium in Alston would make too much sense. Not happening

xbhaskarx

Let's be honest. Azerbaijan probably paid an absolute shitload for the friendly.

I don't think they did, I think it's because Berti Vogts is their manager, that's just too much of a coincidence to not be the reason. I hope it's not just Klinsmann throwing him a bone in exchange for him joining the US coaching staff as an advisor. Hopefully it's because with nothing to play for Vogts will have Azerbaijan use formations/tactics we're preparing to face at the World Cup, even if we will be facing crappy Azeri opponents. Or maybe I'm being super optimistic....

xbhaskarx

FourFourTwo World Cup Guide

US

THE NIGHTMARE

The US team is by no means terrible, just lacking a little in creativity, but a World Cup that leaves the national side without a goal in the three group games, never mind a point, is a very real fear. A very off-the-record former US international fretted to FourFourTwo that this was one of the weakest squads ever to go to the World Cup. A worst-case scenario humiliation in Brazil could be a setback for a domestic league that sees fielding US talent as a big draw for fans.
That's just absurd... I really want to know who that's from.

xbhaskarx

Probably Friedel.

Why would you guess that? Friedel hardly ever talks about the national team. And I can't see him saying something so stupid. I'm guessing someone whose national team career ended fairly recently or Lalas because he likes making outrageous statements.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

US

What the hell? This is probably the best team we've seen in years.

Why would you guess that? Friedel hardly ever talks about the national team. And I can't see him saying something so stupid. I'm guessing someone whose national team career ended fairly recently or Lalas because he likes making outrageous statements.

Lalas likes to say shit, but I can't see him saying this. It's just too stupid. It's probably someone who either didn't make the team or someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

US

That's silly.

Well Round 11 in Fantasy looks to be a complete wash for me. World Cup roster shuffle means it's time to activate the...

t2CiiSF.gif

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 1h
Constructors say roof of stadium hosting World Cup opener June 12 will not be fully finished in time for tournament.

....wut

That's silly.

Well Round 11 in Fantasy looks to be a complete wash for me. World Cup roster shuffle means it's time to activate the...

t2CiiSF.gif

so glad I used the unlimited transfers this week

xbhaskarx

Republic FC Announces Second Sellout of the Season

Republic FC’s Saturday Match versus LA Galaxy II will be the third match over 17,000 in attendance.

Sacramento Republic FC announced today their match on Saturday, May 17 at Hughes Stadium is sold out. Hughes Stadium attendance capacity for a soccer event is 20,231. The sell out is the second by Republic FC this year, tying the record for a USL PRO regular season also set by Republic FC. The sell out falls just short of the USL PRO all-time attendance record of 20,886.

daegan

Because when he does shoot his mouth off, he really does it. Lalas does seem to respect the current crop, if not to the extent they've earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom