• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Now Dempsey will miss the PK that would have won us the game against Ghana.

callin' it

Well that goes back to Klinsmann's other genius decision, making Dempsey captain over the obvious choice Bradley. Make Dempsey captain and of course he's going to want to take PKs over Donovan...

Cat Party

It is somewhat comforting, at least, that we have a coach who is empowered to actually pick his team. I bet more than a few national teams wish they could cut some of their older guys without fear of mass riot.

xbhaskarx

You're still not getting out of group with or without LD.

God this sort of comment is idiotic and infuriating. Who knows what would happen with or without anyone. You can't control the results. What you can do is put yourself in the best possible position to win. Klinsmann might as well take you over Tim Howard because Germany is better than us either way, right? Congrats you're a freaking genius.

Clydefrog

Heh, the Gatorade ads all over soccernet.com have Donovan's face plastered on it... and then the main story on the page says "Donovan stays home"

:(

time for ESPN to alter their montages a bit

I was really looking forward to the possibility of Beasley and Donovan on the left side. I could have seen attacks generated through there. I have personally never thought Dempsey was the smartest player with the ball. That leaves Bradley to carry the load in the midfield when Jermaine Jones inevitably starts making stupid tackles.

I'm happy with the Bedoya selection. he can play above his years in terms of experience.

Wow, that is fucking shocking. Can't say I'm thrilled with some of the choices here.

Klinnsman better pray they get out of the Group stage. Fans aren't going to be happy leaving the best US player ever at home for a World Cup.

Dissapointing that Donovan won't get one last world cup try, I don't see how kicking him off the squad is going to make the US any better, we're a long shot regardless. Might as well let him get his goodbye.

Thinking Howard; Johnson, Besler, Gonzalez, Cameron; Bedoya, Jones, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey, Altidore to start vs Azerbaijan
I was just chatting with a friend and we came to an agreement on that lineup except the backline is Chandler-Cameron-Besler-Johnson.
Provided Chandler doesn't wilt like a delicate flower in the heat

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Man, I wanted to see Donovan out there for one last World Cup. :(

I just hope these are the players that give us the best chance to win.

xbhaskarx

I hate that so many people are making this into an age / inexperience thing, I hope Julian Green doesn't get too much heat from US fans because of Klinsmann's roster decisions.

I'd take Brooks over Goodson right now, I don't think Goodson has been all that impressive this season (unlike last). If Klinsmann was really thinking about 2018 he would have taken Corona and Boyd, but he took the superior veteran options instead (people question Wondo but Boyd has never scored with the national team).

The only changes I'd want are Donovan over Davis and Parkhurst over Yedlin...

Dartastic

Gah, I still can't get over the Yedlin thing. I remember seeing Nagbe SMOKE him, over and over in that Portland game. Nagbe is a really good player, but if Yedlin can't stop Nagbe WTF is he going to do against Ronaldo?!?!?!?

Askani

Don't know if anyone else saw this.

Classy.

Yeah, I caught the retweet from people in my feed. What a punk bitch comment.

EDIT :::::

Now he's sending out apology tweets.

To paraphrase my thoughts: "still around, loser? i remember you shitting on Donovan 30 minutes ago when he fell off the list, never forgot you, cunt. get bent."

daoster

I can sort of see the idea.

If we're going to lose, why not build for the future? Because if we're going to lose and Donovan was brought along, people might have said, "We should have bought ___"

But at the same time, I care about now. I care about the 2014 World Cup, the NOW. I'm impatient like that. I want to use every advantage we can (even if it's short lived) to get out of our group, future be DAMNED.

This is an end of an era alright. I have had my problems with Landon in the past (his attitude), but I can't deny that A) his attitude has gotten better and B) he is probably the greatest American player we'll see in a long time.

Not to mention the marketing aspect of this. Landon has been the face of US Soccer for 16+ years. Probably the biggest US player in the Men's team. It is beyond imagination that he's not going!

Askani

If we're going to lose, why not build for the future? Because if we're going to lose and Donovan was brought along, people might have said, "We should have bought ___

I know there's other valid points to your post, but I'm cherry picking and I'm going to use it as an example. I keep seeing this and I hate it. Three World Cup games aren't going to magically make these guys better in four years. Constant playing and practice and improvement over the proceeding four years will. I don't get how playing in one World Cup (in a "throwaway" year) group stage equates to rock star players and a road map to the future. I also look at it as an insult to everyone else who made the team if that's actually the case. I can't believe that. I have to hope that he really feel like this roster is the best chance to win now because otherwise I'm going to lose my shit.

Also, we still have our chance. It's not decided yet. It's why we play the games. Otherwise just hand out a yearly trophy to the top ranked FIFA team and save the hassle.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

If we're going to lose, why not build for the future? Because if we're going to lose and Donovan was brought along, people might have said, "We should have bought ___"

But at the same time, I care about now. I care about the 2014 World Cup, the NOW. I'm impatient like that. I want to use every advantage we can (even if it's short lived) to get out of our group, future be DAMNED.

This is an end of an era alright. I have had my problems with Landon in the past (his attitude), but I can't deny that A) his attitude has gotten better and B) he is probably the greatest American player we'll see in a long time.

Not to mention the marketing aspect of this. Landon has been the face of US Soccer for 16+ years. Probably the biggest US player in the Men's team. It is beyond imagination that he's not going!

Yeah, this is definitely a "trial by fire" move by Klinsmann. I just hope guys like Howard & Dempsey don't feel like they are being pushed out for the future.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Zero problems with Donovan being cut honestly. He was a borderline guy -before- he walked out on the team and hasn't shown anything since that he belongs. Thought he would make it just based on his legacy but not shocked he didn't make it based on actual merit.

Bummed for Edu. Really feel for the guy after some god awful years in Europe and building a pretty cool comeback story this year but just falling short. Completely stunned Brad Evans didn't get in.

Beckerman being on the squad is just nauseating though. Yikes. Happy Wondo made it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom