• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

kIdMuScLe

I agree with what Bruce says in there. Why make us play an identity that we are not? This whole we have to play as a European and that everyone should play in Europe is stupid. What's wrong with MLS? Nothing and is a whole lot better than it was 2 WC ago. It's slowly improving and will be a top league within the next 15 years. And for Jurgen not understanding why MLS plays during the summer and not the fall/winter is dumbfounding to me.

P. S. I'm still bitter about Donovan not being on the USMNT and Altidore starting instead of Johansson :-/

ZZMitch

Any MLS/US Soccer related podcasts you guys could recommend me?

I like Men in Blazers but I don't have a huge interest in European leagues so I don't listen to many of their episodes.

Zynx

Anyone watching the Canadian championship finals?

Toronto passing the ball straight to Montreal so many times...

Zynx

Watching this game really makes me appreciate the MLS ref spraycans. Everyone sneaking a few steps after every free kick.

Zynx

Henry's challenges in the box have been amazing, though.

Welp, TFC loses. Might be a blessing in disguise though, with the games participating in concacaf add to a team's schedule.

daoster

WOOT, my girlfriend just got me the USA away jersey. Now that I see it in person and am actually wearing it....it's not so bad.....

Askani

Thank you based Wednesday Devil.

Ghana’s most influential witch doctor has claimed he is responsible for the knee injury that is threatening to Cristiano Ronaldo’s participation at the World Cup.

Nana Kwaku Bonsam – whose name translates literally as “Devil of Wednesday” – predicted in February that the Real Madrid forward would be forced to miss this summer’s tournament in Brazil with injury. A statement from the Portuguese FA on Wednesday confirmed that Ronaldo is suffering from tendinosis in his left knee as well as nursing a muscle problem in his left thigh, which caused him to miss the 0-0 draw with Greece at the weekend.

Ghana are set to meet Portugal in their final match of Group G in Brasilia on 26 June and Bonsam claims to have conjured a special powder from his gods, mixed with several leaves and concoctions which have been placed around an image and caricature of the former Manchester United player.

“I know what Cristiano Ronaldo’s injury is about, I’m working on him,” Bonsam, who serves at the Kofioo Kofi shrine, said in an interview with the Kumasi-based Angel FM.

“I am very serious about it. Last week, I went around looking for four dogs and I got them to be used in manufacturing a special spirit called Kahwiri Kapam.

“I said it four months ago that I will work on Cristiano Ronaldo seriously and rule him out of the World up or at least prevent him from playing against Ghana and the best thing I can do is to keep him out though injury.

“This injury can never be cured by any medic, they can never see what is causing the injury because it is spiritual. Today, it is his knee, tomorrow it is his thigh, next day it is something else.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/04/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-ghana-witch-doctor

I Googled, but I can't find what Kahwiri Kapam is.

Osorio

I now fully expect Petke to throw an all reserve lineup against the cosmos and focus on the ccl later in the year.

Watch Montreal win the group tho :(

xbhaskarx

U.S. Soccer

The #USMNT woke up early this morning for an empty stomach run before breakfast in Jacksonville.

10257369_10152366319353941_5584940673614938069_o.jpg

- Is there video footage of this

- If so, someone needs to set it to the music by Vangelis in the opening scene from Chariots of Fire (my all time favorite sports movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7Vu7cqB20

- Who is the fifth guy from the left?

Episode 5 of the Inside series was ok. Lots of backline discussion and some clips of behind the scenes on their NY press events. Looks like they're still training very hard.

- Who is the fifth guy from the left?
Probably one of the trainers? Klinsmann has a large staff, many of whom I don't recognize.

[plug alert]

Bing desktop has added a soccer tab to it's Bing desktop app. Can be found here: http://www.bing.com/explore/desktop

Like many of you, I'd never heard about Bing Desktop before today. But alas, this morning I check my email at work and decided to muck around with it for a couple of minutes. It seemed pretty decent. Being a company man, I'll do a trial run during the world cup and see whether it's worth keeping around afterwards. Some of you might be interested in checking it out as a non-obtrusive, quick way to check up on news, scores, schedules, etc.

blurrygil

Orlando City ownership sold their USL Pro license to Louisville who will begin as Louisville City FC starting in 2015. If the MLS/USL Pro affiliation continues, they'll be Orlando City's affiliate.

Louisville_Web.jpg

That's not a bad thing for USL, then. Anything that strengthens the branding of anything in the 2nd/3rd divisions is alright by me.

I've taken a pretty good liking to it now.

After the time it's been out...I sorta....

...nope nope, still looks like a popsicle to me. Dislike.

Tom Marshall ‏@mexicoworldcup 2m
OFFICIAL: Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe and Raúl Meireles won't be playing for Portugal against Mexico tomorrow.

FWIW, that makes it twice in the last year that Portugal's come to Gillette and Ronaldo didn't play when he was available

Meier

FWIW, that makes it twice in the last year that Portugal's come to Gillette and Ronaldo didn't play when he was available

Well, I don't think Ronaldo is available for what it's worth. He's got a pretty serious injury, but I still believe he'll play through it when the WC rolls around. Dem cortisone shots.

Well, I don't think Ronaldo is available for what it's worth. He's got a pretty serious injury, but I still believe he'll play through it when the WC rolls around. Dem cortisone shots.

Sorry should've clarified; he was on an announced roster but was scratched the few days before both times. The last time Portugal came to Gillette it was in the middle of qualifying after he got hurt.

Heretic

Thoughts?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/la-sp-sn-juergen-klinsmann-us-cant-win-20140605-story.html

Jurgen on the USMNT chances to win the cup:
We cannot win this World Cup, because we are not at that level yet,” Klinsmann told the New York Times earlier this week. "For us, we have to play the game of our lives seven times to win the tournament. Realistically, it is not possible.

On Donovan:
He came back, and he was playing in MLS, and people say, ‘Oh, he’s playing well,’ but what does that really mean? This is where MLS hurts him. He was playing at 70%, 80%, and he was still dominant. That doesn’t help anyone. I watched the games. What was I supposed to say? That he was good? He was not good. Not then. No way. So he had to wait.

I'm extremely disappointed by this interview. I'm not going to say I disagree but I don't think it's something he should be saying.

Nesotenso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom