• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels good man. Three wins in the send off series. Bring on Ghana.

Now I get to watch my two MLS clubs face off for a night cap. (Fire v. Sounders)

I love soccer. I love America. Wooooooooooo!!!!

Nesotenso

So Omar is definitely not starting.

I think there is a good chance we will see the same starting 11. Need to see better chemistry up front. Game could have been 4 or 5 goals in our favor.

daoster

We've won all of our send off games, and the two goals that our opponents have scored on us were PKs, rather than through the run of play.

Am I just crazy, or are the back line issues not as big as some are making it out to be. Because I sure as hell remember the problems we had with our team leading up to the World Cup last time around was our leaky backline.

Giving up that early goal, and always having to play catch up, I seem to remember that was a problem with Bradley's team, constantly (and it proved to be true until the Algeria game).

Or is it because our group contains Germany and Portugal? Portugal look (and have looked, for awhile) toothless without Ronaldo, Germany will be Germany, and Ghana have bypassed our backline the last two times we've met.

During the Turkey match, every missed chance Turkey had, Twellman kept on going on and on and on about how Ghana/Portugal/Germany would score on those chances (like they were automatic or something), but I don't think that's necessarily a valid argument.

Not to say there aren't issues with our backline, because there are. With Omar, with Chandler, with their communication with each other, with their chemistry, but I'll tell you what, I'd rather have a Chandler problem than a Bornstein problem. Am I crazy here?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Bradley was the best player on the field today and it wasn't close. I had no confidence after Azerbaijan and even Turkey wasn't great. If he can bottle what he did today the US might actually scare some people.

xbhaskarx

2014 World Cup: What a Difference 4 Years Makes

http://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/articles/2014-world-cup.html

Some interesting Google analytics...

Search Interest for Major Sporting Events
2014-world-cup_articles_01.png

Source: Google Data, January 1, 2010–May 14, 2014, Indexed Search Query Volume, Worldwide

U.S. Growth in Soccer Interest
2014-world-cup_articles_03.png

The Economist article I posted earlier also had some interesting info...

This was their best performance.

Jozy scoring makes me quite happy. Twellman said it best: the tap in gave him the confidence to go for that strike, which he would've passed along.

Only problem is the defense when subs are introduced. Breaks the rhythm and it's been leading to shoddy defense and penalty kicks. If it wasn't for the penalty kicks, they'd have three straight clean sheets going in.

Regardless, the momentum is at its best right now. I'm feeling pretty good about them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We've won all of our send off games, and the two goals that our opponents have scored on us were PKs, rather than through the run of play.

Am I just crazy, or are the back line issues not as big as some are making it out to be. Because I sure as hell remember the problems we had with our team leading up to the World Cup last time around was our leaky backline.

Giving up that early goal, and always having to play catch up, I seem to remember that was a problem with Bradley's team, constantly (and it proved to be true until the Algeria game).

Or is it because our group contains Germany and Portugal? Portugal look (and have looked, for awhile) toothless without Ronaldo, Germany will be Germany, and Ghana have bypassed our backline the last two times we've met.

During the Turkey match, every missed chance Turkey had, Twellman kept on going on and on and on about how Ghana/Portugal/Germany would score on those chances (like they were automatic or something), but I don't think that's necessarily a valid argument.

Not to say there aren't issues with our backline, because there are. With Omar, with Chandler, with their communication with each other, with their chemistry, but I'll tell you what, I'd rather have a Chandler problem than a Bornstein problem. Am I crazy here?

To a degree you're right. If we had this backline 4 years ago we'd have made it out of the group with a clean sheet, but the competition also wasn't as good. None of the teams we faced in the build up to the Cup have been as good as the teams we're going to face in the group. I think until this game the backline was a concern, but now we've got the starting 4 figured out and they're doing very well. The problem now is that none of the defensive subs are gelling quite as well as the starters are.

I also think it's better that we over estimate our opponents, better to go in over prepared than under. We can always be doing better, but I do think we're in a good place right now.

Also Zusi or Mixx needs to start over Bedoya.

gutshot

One thing that was encouraging was that Nigeria seemed to tire as the game wore on while the US got stronger. Whether this is due to Klinsmanns emphasis on fitness in this training camp or is the result of fresher legs for many of our MLS-based players, I think it bodes well.

Was on a flight during the trip. Great to see alyidore finishing after his fantastic work in the previous two games. I agree with a poster above who posited that our defense is better this WC. I was worried it would be worse, given Ukraine game, but the first two games shored up my confidence. That being said, this group is far more difficult than last WC, and we wouldn't have stood a snowballs chance on hell in this group with last WCs back line

Nesotenso

Also Zusi or Mixx needs to start over Bedoya.

The issue here is that all three bring different things. I have no issue with any of them starting. I just hope we show better chemistry to take advantage of any counters because it seems like that is how we are going to score. In the WC those chances are going be rare and you need to capitalize on them when you get them.

I think JK has the shape he wants defensively. Not the best in the world but it might get the job done if they play as a unit.

Meier

Saw the first goal as I watched the first half but did not see his second yet. It was fucking huge though. The most important thing that could have happened in that game. You could see the confidence and purpose after it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nate Silver just said that the USA has a 0.4% chance of winning it all.

He's giving us a better shot than Klinsmann is. I'll take it. Gotta believe.

methodman

Banned
Everything I've seen from bedoya, zusi, or Davis has proven that they are not even slightly better than Donovan when it matters (actual gametime).

daoster

Everything I've seen from bedoya, zusi, or Davis has proven that they are not even slightly better than Donovan when it matters (actual gametime).

You're absolutely right. Donovan would have helped us win 13-1 yesterday.

So are you going to be cheering for the US at this World Cup, or are you cheering for Donovan?

Meier

That second goal was primo. Like someone said, there's zero doubt in my mind he would have been looking to hold that up and pass if he didn't get the first one. We need him firing on all cylinders if we hope to have any chance -- if only because it gives the defense pause. They can't anticipate him passing it first.

That second goal was primo. Like someone said, there's zero doubt in my mind he would have been looking to hold that up and pass if he didn't get the first one. We need him firing on all cylinders if we hope to have any chance -- if only because it gives the defense pause. They can't anticipate him passing it first.

Yep, those goals were not only good for his confidence, but vital in making sure defenders respect him when he's near the box.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Two world class goals in the last two games has given me hope that they can escape the group. Prior to that I just didn't see any real hope of scoring without a complete collapse by one of the defenses. Now, maybe, we can actually produce a bit of genius and goals without having to hope for a monumental screw up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Two world class goals in the last two games has given me hope that they can escape the group. Prior to that I just didn't see any real hope of scoring without a complete collapse by one of the defenses. Now, maybe, we can actually produce a bit of genius and goals without having to hope for a monumental screw up.

I think with Bradley and Dempsey playing the way they are, with Alitdore hopefully out of his slump, we have a better than decent shot of making it out. It'll all depend on how we do against Ghana though: if we win we have a shot, if not we're basically screwed.

VibrantDaringGosling.gif

Class goal through and through.

From Bradley's ball to Altidore's first touch to cut it back, and then the accurate near-post strike

That is just beautiful. There is no part of that play that isn't perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom