• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

J.R. Eskilson @JREskilson
U18 MNT midfielder Abuchi Obinwa to join Hannover, according to German media.
6j8ydwnh.jpg

More info on Abuchi Obinwa

This reminds me, what's going on with Agudelo, is he still heading to Hannover?

Talon

Ayew with a hat trick.

South Korea's back four has been in shambles for the past two years, but it's not like the US is particularly strong back there either.

:|

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ayew with a hat trick.

South Korea's back four has been in shambles for the past two years, but it's not like the US is particularly strong back there either.

:|

It didn't look too bad last game before the subs came out. No matter what it's gonna be a nail biter.

Talon

Meh. Tactics at this level are more about style rather than making a difference.

Soccer isn't really like Football where tactics can really make up for a talent difference. Most of that is because it's such a free flowing game where all the players have to react constantly. If you don't have the talent, you'll always be one step behind regardless of intent. Just look at the quality of balls played by Australia or South Korea compared to the Netherlands or Brazil.

I've found that a lot of my friends that get into this sport later on get really focused on the formations and such when it's not nearly as big of a differentiator as a 34 or 43.

A diamond isn't predicated on creating width with the fullbacks by nature. You create width with fullbacks if your fullbacks have the ability on ball and pace to roar up the field.

- Greg Seltzer on Feilhaber
I have learned (actually... I have known for a while) that three Liga MX name brands are interested in Benny Feilhaber. One is Club América (no stranger to chasing Gringos) and I am fairly sure Cruz Azul (no stranger to chasing Feilhaber) are another.

I would not get too excited thinking about the prospect, however, as I'm told Feilhaber is happy at Sporting KC and the club holds an option on him for next season. A full MLSS report is on the way.

Askani

After losing Uri to Sporting Lisbon, they would be gigantic fools to let Feilhaber go right now. However I know money talks. A season and a half might end up being okay for a trade if he wants to go and the price is right. He'd be 31 and that enough time to get a quality midfield replacement.

More from Greg Seltzer:
I can confirm that a few Ligue 1 rivals would love to capture Nantes midfielder Alejandro Bedoya, so the club is preparing an improved contract offer for him to peruse once his World Cup adventure ends. I cannot confirm - so don't tattoo this on my forehead - but there is reason to believe that on top of that interest Marseille are also lurking without making contact yet.

Meier

A few big news items related to my teams today!

Austin Aztex are moving up to USL Pro in 2015. Kind of a funny story with them -- Orlando City were actually the Austin Aztex previously but moved to Orlando in time for the 2011 USL Pro season. The Aztex were in the 2nd tier for a year when USL and NASL had a joint league. They were reformed as a USL PDL team (4th tier, semi-pro) in 2011 and are now going to be a pro team again. The Aztex won the USL PDL in 2013, the second year playing in the league. Quite a few MLS players including Kekuta Manneh and Dillon Powers are former Aztex players.

Orlando City unveiled their new stadium renderings today as well. Will have a safe standing section which is a first in the MLS. Video here: http://youtu.be/Ug8hRoKDkeo

Osorio

A few big news items related to my teams today!

Austin Aztex are moving up to USL Pro in 2015. Kind of a funny story with them -- Orlando City were actually the Austin Aztex previously but moved to Orlando in time for the 2011 USL Pro season. The Aztex were in the 2nd tier for a year when USL and NASL had a joint league. They were reformed as a USL PDL team (4th tier, semi-pro) in 2011 and are now going to be a pro team again. The Aztex won the USL PDL in 2013, the second year playing in the league. Quite a few MLS players including Kekuta Manneh and Dillon Powers are former Aztex players.

Orlando City unveiled their new stadium renderings today as well. Will have a safe standing section which is a first in the MLS. Video here: http://youtu.be/Ug8hRoKDkeo

Hopefully it's the beginning of many more to come.

Meier

Here is the other angle of the rendering:
10373048_732126773512280_8428998628616977159_o.jpg

You can make out that the big ass Lion rotates.

Also, Miami pulled the other proposed location for Beckham FC from the table:
In a major setback for David Beckham and his investors, the city of Miami said Tuesday it is not interested in having the retired English footballer and his group build a Major League Soccer stadium on what is now a deep-water boat slip and part of Museum Park.

“The slip is off the table,” Mayor Tomás Regalado said.

The mayor and City Manager Daniel Alfonso nixed the downtown site in a meeting Tuesday morning with John Alschuler, Beckham’s real-estate adviser, that came two days after Beckham wrapped up his latest campaign trip to South Florida.

Alschuler said Beckham’s group plans to take some time to consider its remaining options. It’s the second blow for the investors, who had initially targeted the southwest corner of PortMiami as a stadium site, only to face political resistance from neighboring Royal Caribbean Cruises and the Miami-Dade County Commission.

“Our team’s going to pause,” Alschuler said. “They’re going to consider all alternatives and look forward to constructive engagement.”
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/10/4169888/miami-takes-downtown-museum-park.html

- SI's World Cup predictions

The US bit:
How will the USA fare?

WAHL: Out in the group stage. It’s possible for the U.S. to play OK and not advance from the most difficult group, and that’s the sense I have right now. Germany is the class of the group, and Portugal, Ghana and the U.S. will slug it out for the second spot. I’d say the U.S. has about a 40 percent chance of advancing.

STRAUS: American prospects are on the rise. Klinsmann’s team is fit, confident and healthy, but that may not be enough to get out of a deep and difficult Group G. Well prepared and primed for vengeance, the U.S. will open with three points against Ghana and and finish the first round 1-1-1, but miss out on the knockout stage on goal differential. Nevertheless, a solid performance will see Klinsmann’s method and mandate reaffirmed.

WILSON: Moderately. I’ve never been entirely convinced by Jurgen Klinsmann as a coach and nothing I’ve seen of him with the USA has persuaded me. My sense is the great U.S. explosion isn’t far away, but given the toughness of the group I suspect it may be in four years’ time rather than in Brazil.

LYTTLETON: I have been down on the USA’s chances ever since the draw, feeling it was destined for the wooden spoon in Group G. But in the last week, I feel something has clicked: Jozy Altidore scored a pair of goals, Fabian Johnson has done well at fullback and the three-man midfield with Kyle Beckerman is smart. On the other hand, Ghana’s preparations have gone south, with defensive injuries and worries in attack . So I will go for USA to finish third in the group, just ahead of bogey team Ghana.

YOUNG: The send-off series provided great hope. Backed by potentially huge numbers of fans, a fired-up team could sneak through a group where more storied rivals such as Portugal and Germany are troubled by injury and self-doubt. Industriousness ensures games will be tight, and much will depend on whether strikers such as Jozy Altidore will be ruthless enough to take advantage.

BIRD: Before the friendly against Nigeria, it looked like the U.S. would play three games and go home. After that match, it seems the U.S. has some hope — but probably only against Ghana. The German and Portuguese attacks will offer much sterner tests for the back line, which has looked vulnerable individually and collectively in the tune-up games.

Meier

Interesting that Inside recorded one hour tonight but the second half was a documentary on Brazil's WC hopes, etc. Heavy focus on Julio Cesar in the first 10 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom