• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, that Ghana match is a must-win for both teams. A draw doesn't really help either team.

A positive though is that Portugal looks pretty...average without Ronnie (and I'm not sure how capable he will be of contributing considering his fitness level). I think we can take points off of them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yep, that Ghana match is a must-win for both teams. A draw doesn't really help either team.

A positive though is that Portugal looks pretty...average without Ronnie (and I'm not sure how capable he will be of contributing considering his fitness level). I think we can take points off of them.

We're gonna need a win at some point to make it out, at best we get two and then we're done. At worst I figure we'll need a win and a pair of draws. I'd really rather not risk having to advance on point differential, not with this group.

As far as Portugal goes, we'll see on Tuesday how they do against Ireland. If the Irish can sneak out a win then I think we'll be able to do so as well.

Heretic

Nate Silver just said that the USA has a 0.4% chance of winning it all.

He's giving us a better shot than Klinsmann is. I'll take it. Gotta believe.
Haha!

:'(

Everything I've seen from bedoya, zusi, or Davis has proven that they are not even slightly better than Donovan when it matters (actual gametime).
Still bitter too :(

VibrantDaringGosling.gif

Class goal through and through.

From Bradley's ball to Altidore's first touch to cut it back, and then the accurate near-post strike

What a beautiful pass. My goodness! Ugh... I can't stand Dempsey. I've never been a fan.

I'm feeling pretty confident that we'll get out of the group stage. Our play has gotten better and Portugal did not look impressive enough to make me feel worried. Ghana though... pivotal game.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Everything I've seen from bedoya, zusi, or Davis has proven that they are not even slightly better than Donovan when it matters (actual gametime).

Very possible. I kept imaging what would have happened if we'd switched Bedoya for Donovan when he kept getting the ball on the right with a lot of space and doing nothing even remotely productive with it. I think Donovan on the ball would have produced at least 2 more great scoring chances. Oh well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Very possible. I kept imaging what would have happened if we'd switched Bedoya for Donovan when he kept getting the ball on the right with a lot of space and doing nothing even remotely productive with it. I think Donovan on the ball would have produced at least 2 more great scoring chances. Oh well.

Really anyone but Bedoya would have produced two more chances that game. He screwed up the same pass twice against Nigeria. I think Mixx would have connected that kind of pass going forward. If he can improve and make that pass I'll eat crow, gladly, but unless he can Mixx needs to take that spot.

Osorio

Five starters out of action

Alexander in the middle

One of our centerbacks played in his first league game against top team in the east

First win in the New England since 02

Wooooo

- Greg Seltzer: Aufstieg.
Word out of Germany is that a few teams are sniffing around Philadelphia Union central midfielder/centerback Amobi Okugo.

He has previously spent time training in Germany in 2011 and 2012 with SC Freiburg, who fell from fifth in 2012-13 to 14th in 2013-14. At the moment it's nothing official, but Okugo is in his fifth year in Philadelphia and is in the midst of one of the most difficult seasons of his burgeoning career.

This isn't the first time that Okugo has gotten interest from overseas and it probably won't be the last, unless he re-signs with the Union on a new long term deal in the near future.

daoster

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 1m
Klinsmann not in São Paulo until tomorrow. Stayed in Miami with Vogts & Hamman to scout Ghana game today.

Can't wait till this Thursday. I forgot that E3 was even happening this week because I'm so excited for the damn World Cup to start.

Has Nate Silver done well at all with sports predictions? I know he nailed the presidential election but calculating polls and calculating statistics are two drastically different things.

Meier

Big move by Orlando City today to enter into a partnership with Benfica. Flavio and co making all the right moves.

Benfica and Orlando City SC Announce Strategic Cooperation Agreement

Orlando, Fla. - Orlando City SC announced today an innovative strategic partnership with Portuguese first-division side SL Benfica, which is one of the largest clubs in Europe. The agreement sets forth cooperation in a variety of areas, including:
  • Sharing evaluations regarding professional and youth soccer players.
  • Arranging potential friendly matches between the Clubs in the U.S. and in Portugal.
  • Providing opportunities for both Clubs’ players to train with the other team.
  • Cooperation to share professional knowledge regarding the business side of the industry (e.g., marketing, sales, etc.).
  • Developing of an innovative strategic plan between both clubs to develop and promote access to scholarships for colleges and universities in the United States for not only soccer players, but also to other athletes.
"This partnership is another exciting step in Orlando City’s long-term development plans as it brings us additional knowledge and experience from one of the largest and most successful clubs in the world,” added Orlando City Majority Owner Flavio Augusto da Silva. “Benfica has been one of the most successfully operated soccer clubs in the world by developing talent of all ages, winning titles and reconciling sports performances with a wide variety of modern and professional management components.”
Potential future international matches between Orlando City and Benfica will add to the list of high-profile international friendlies held in the City Beautiful since the arrival of Orlando City in 2011. Throughout the past three years in USL PRO, the Lions have played exhibitions against first-division clubs in England (e.g., Bolton Wanderers, Newcastle United & Stoke City), Brazil (e.g., Fluminense & Sao Paulo) and Italy (e.g., AS Roma).

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=1895

xbhaskarx

22 MLS players set to represent league at World Cup

AUSTRALIA:

Tim Cahill, forward, New York Red Bulls

BRAZIL:

Julio Cesar, goalkeeper, Toronto FC

COSTA RICA:

Giancarlo González, defender, Columbus Crew

Waylon Francis, defender Columbus Crew

Roy Miller, defender, New York Red Bulls

ECUADOR:

Oswaldo Minda, midfielder, Chivas USA

HONDURAS:

Victor Bernardez, defender, San Jose Earthquakes

Marvin Chavez, midfielder, Chivas USA

Oscar Boniek Garcia, midfielder, Houston Dynamo

Jerry Bengtson, forward, New England Revolution

SPAIN

David Villa, forward, New York City FC

IRAN:

Steven Beitashour, defender, Vancouver Whitecaps

UNITED STATES:

Nick Rimando, goalkeeper, Real Salt Lake

Matt Besler, defender, Sporting Kansas City

Omar Gonzalez, defender, Los Angeles Galaxy

DeAndre Yedlin, defender, Seattle Sounders FC

Kyle Beckerman, midfielder, Real Salt Lake

Michael Bradley, midfielder, Toronto FC

Brad Davis, midfielder, Houston Dynamo

Graham Zusi, midfielder, Sporting Kansas City

Clint Dempsey, forward, Seattle Sounders FC

Chris Wondolowski, forward, San Jose Earthquakes

Quick heads up on the Inside: US Soccer's March to Brazil series. There's one tomorrow and the live finale is on Wednesday:
June 10, Tuesday, 8:30-9:30 p.m.: Episode 5
June 11, Wednesday, 9:30-10 p.m.: LIVE series finale – Epilogue

Nesotenso

What is the best android app for the latest update on scores? Unfortunately it looks like I will miss the Ghana game because of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom