• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Inside recorded one hour tonight but the second half was a documentary on Brazil's WC hopes, etc. Heavy focus on Julio Cesar in the first 10 mins.

Yeah was hoping that it was a full hour but turned it off when the Brazil doc started. I have that set up to tape separately on the DVR.

The Direct TV descriptions of the series have been pretty bad as a whole. They are still listing one more episode with Lalas and Fouley. Doubt there will be any new footage, just talking heads.

Meier

Yeah was hoping that it was a full hour but turned it off when the Brazil doc started. I have that set up to tape separately on the DVR.

The Direct TV descriptions of the series have been pretty bad as a whole. They are still listing one more episode with Lalas and Fouley. Doubt there will be any new footage, just talking heads.
Yeah, it was wonky on TWC as well. It replayed right after and was listed as something else though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i expected no less honestly. it's ireland

hell one of the 5 was an own goal (apparently) so lol

Yea, their goalie did a pretty good job blocking shots other than that own goal. The score line could easily have been worse. It seemed like the only way they were able to get down the field was through the middle, anytime they tried to go wide they wound up turning it over.

Yea, their goalie did a pretty good job blocking shots other than that own goal. The score line could easily have been worse. It seemed like the only way they were able to get down the field was through the middle, anytime they tried to go wide they wound up turning it over.

ah okay. like i said it wasn't on here (for some reason? and i couldn't get my espn3 log in stuff)

That was close to Ireland's 3rd team, let alone first team. how'd Ronaldo look?

If Ireland had their starting XI out, it wouldn't nearly have been as bad

thanks for pointing this out. I will happily admit i am very ignorant to all things soccer so people like you and this thread really help me out here on my way to learning and becoming a bigger fan

Dazzler

I watched the whole game (I am an Ireland fan for my sins)

Ronaldo was moving fine, didn't look like someone who had any injury worries

The Portuguese defence is shaky, though. Jozy and Deuce will cause them problems for sure

The Portuguese attack is pacy and scary and it comes at you from so many different places, not just Ronnie.

Admittedly, Ireland made them look like world beaters, but we did essentially throw out whatever players couldn't weasel their way out of what was for us a totally meaningless game

Osorio

Martin o'neiils face at the beginning of the game was either foreboding, indifferent, or both.

Ireland didn't come out to win

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I watched the whole game (I am an Ireland fan for my sins)

Ronaldo was moving fine, didn't look like someone who had any injury worries

The Portuguese defence is shaky, though. Jozy and Deuce will cause them problems for sure

The Portuguese attack is pacy and scary and it comes at you from so many different places, not just Ronnie.

Admittedly, Ireland made them look like world beaters, but we did essentially throw out whatever players couldn't weasel their way out of what was for us a totally meaningless game

From what I could tell Portugal is god-like on the wings, Ireland couldn't get anything done there and it felt like most of the attack came from the edges of the field and not the middle. When Ireland was able to get down the field it was usually by running the ball down the middle and then distributing it behind the wingers. I think we could be very effective at that sort of thing. We also, hopefully, wouldn't screw up as many passes as they did. It felt like Ireland turned over the ball every other pass.

As far as Portugal's attack goes, it felt like every goal that was made was inevitable. It was like there was nothing anyone could have done to stop them at all, this was probably down to Ireland's weakness but it was a very unsettling thing to watch. I could feel the inevitability of Portugal's victory all the way up where I was, I can only imagine how it felt to be playing against them.

http://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/476785854573461506

This is the Manaus pitch that will host the England-Italy World Cup match in 3 days (via Getty). pic.twitter.com/A5M1a9L581

Bp3iNVTIEAAncD5.jpg

Meier

Traffic? Really? There has to be something else going on there, no way traffic is that bad.

They're kinda weird about traffic in European football. There are usually a few games a year that have their kick-off delayed about 30 minutes due to traffic around the stadium.

Meier

Reminds me of when City played in the Champions League versus CSKA and they painted the pitch green, lol. City weren't even able to train on the pitch before the game because CSKA was too concerned over ruining it further.

cs1.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just saw Landon on ESPN, adamantly disagreeing with Jurgen's comments. I doubt that will help their relationship.

But oh well, I'm unhappy with what Jurgen said too. Donovan's right: if you're telling your team they have a chance against Germany and Portugal, then you can't publicly say your squad have no chance at winning the Cup.

And that pitch is an embarrassment.

Meier

Just saw Landon on ESPN, adamantly disagreeing with Jurgen's comments. I doubt that will help their relationship.

But oh well, I'm unhappy with what Jurgen said too. Donovan's right: if you're telling your team they have a chance against Germany and Portugal, then you can't publicly say your squad have no chance at winning the Cup.

And that pitch is an embarrassment.

Jurgen was pretty positive on Inside last night and gave us a good chance to get out of the group. I think he's just trying to pull a Mancini in the 11/12 PL season. For the final 6+ games, Mancini continued to say that City had absolutely no chance and that we'd lost it. In his mind, it probably took a little of the pressure off the players.

The fact of the matter is that we don't have a chance to win it. And that's okay, because probably only about 5 teams do (Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany and Italy) and they're 5 of the only 8 countries to ever win 1.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Jurgen was pretty positive on Inside last night and gave us a good chance to get out of the group. I think he's just trying to pull a Mancini in the 11/12 PL season. For the final 6+ games, Mancini continued to say that City had absolutely no chance and that we'd lost it. In his mind, it probably took a little of the pressure off the players.

The fact of the matter is that we don't have a chance to win it. And that's okay, because probably only about 5 teams do (Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany and Italy) and they're 5 of the only 8 countries to ever win 1.

What an amazing end to that season. I was watching that final goal by Aguerro live. With Maradona looking on above? I still get the chills. (I was following City because Dzeko was my second favorite player at the time.)

OT: Oh I know our chances of winning, I'm no fool. I just like my manager to be expressing optimism on the eve of such a huge game. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Just say something like, "If we get out of the group, you never know. But we're focused on the Group Stage right now."

What an amazing end to that season. I was watching that final goal by Aguerro live. With Maradona looking on above? I still get the chills. (I was following City because Dzeko was my second favorite player at the time.)

OT: Oh I know our chances of winning, I'm no fool. I just like my manager to be expressing optimism on the eve of such a huge game. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Just say something like, "If we get out of the group, you never know. But we're focused on the Group Stage right now."

Fuck that goal. QPR had one job and they blew it.

-Bitter United fan

daoster

Watching the Inside U.S. Soccer epilogue, disappointed that Rog Bennett isn't part of this group, because I'm really sick of listening to Lalas and Twellman yap.

And also, do they really have to push that laid back Brazilian atmosphere stereotype? Especially when they're all wearing suits?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Watching the Inside U.S. Soccer epilogue, disappointed that Rog Bennett isn't part of this group, because I'm really sick of listening to Lalas and Twellman yap.

And also, do they really have to push that laid back Brazilian atmosphere stereotype? Especially when they're all wearing suits?

yea, its a shame that was considered the epilogue. i wouldve loved to hear rog talk about his experience following the team around and filming the episodes way more than the same stuff we get every day from that crew.

Heretic

yea, its a shame that was considered the epilogue. i wouldve loved to hear rog talk about his experience following the team around and filming the episodes way more than the same stuff we get every day from that crew.

SEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!

xbhaskarx

San Jose vs Sacramento in the Open Cup right now... I would have gone to SF for this but the Quakes were supposed to stream it. And now it turns out they're not. F it, I'm rooting for Sacto because they'll take this tournament seriously...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom