• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Almost time for MLS!

I was annoyed that Jones would be playing against the Quakes on Sunday, but I just remembered that he's banned for a long time.

Cameron started at RB this morning. FJohnson had an assist in Germany. Wood scored a couple goals.

- Grant Wahl's insider notes for SI:
Jones is signing a one-year contract worth a guaranteed $550,000, which is less than the offer he turned down from New England. He’ll be suspended for the first six games of the season after a playoff incident with referee Mark Geiger last year.
Pulisic still on track for Dortmund

Saturday was the fourth straight game that U.S. 17-year-old Christian Pulisic has been left off Dortmund’s gameday roster after he had made his first Bundesliga start against Leverkusen and went 45 minutes. Pulisic has been playing again with Dortmund’s Under-19s, but I’m told that this is part of the plan for the club, which has communicated clearly with Pulisic all along. Dortmund wants Pulisic to still be playing 90 minutes from time to time to stay sharp, even at the Under-19s, and getting 10 to 20 minutes with the first team wasn’t something they wanted him to keep doing non-stop. They wanted Pulisic to know that what’s happening now isn’t any sort of punishment.

Wow we got GAM and the Rapids first round pick for JJ?

God, I hope they suck again this year. I want a high pick please!

It's gonna be interesting what his reception will be when the Rapids come to Gillette this year.

Sucks they couldn't agree on something though, but we would have to move on eventually. This would be easier if Teal's shot was a foot lower...

Potential USMNT home kit

CczPounUMAAgUFU

In render form

CczhmMnUUAAhKRm.jpg:large

They scraped that idea a few months ago, you have to pony up for a (more expensive this year) MLS Live subscription. I passed after being a subscriber the last couple of years. Kinda pissed about it.
That's absolutely disgusting. Used to be pretty big into the MLS but Garber's NFL sequel moves like this and every team naming themselves FC or United, there's no real reason to stick around.

zroid

Banned
Sucks that we're not going to get a home date for like 2 months but I'm pretty interested to see how the new-look TFC plays tomorrow

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Here's hoping NYRB were able to replace Miazga and that our new pairing will work as well as the last. Luckily, this should be a good test.

Me too. Hopefully Chicago can keep the success they had throughout pre-season rolling into this game against NYCFC at home.

I've read that they're going to be playing Pirlo as a number six, so if there's ever been a time...

shoplifter

Sucks that we're not going to get a home date for like 2 months but I'm pretty interested to see how the new-look TFC plays tomorrow

Ah, the question that is asked every year.

They scraped that idea a few months ago, you have to pony up for a (more expensive this year) MLS Live subscription. I passed after being a subscriber the last couple of years. Kinda pissed about it.

Was it more this year? I don't remember but I don't think it was more than $5 over what I paid last season for my auto renew.

Oh I'm excited. Guys, I've only been waiting for today for months.

I'm about to hop a train to TFC's kickoff viewing party, my second STH event.

ESPN: " Well it's opening day for Major League Soccer, we have several games lined up for to-....

..OH MY GOD WAIT NO PEYTON MANNING IS RETIRING. SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN. GET OUT THE HIGHLIGHT REELS. LINE UP THE PAPA JOHNS COMMERCIALS!!"

Just to make sure, I found the old league code in a previous post for newcomers and updated my previous post.

I put this in the OP as well:

MLS Fantasy: http://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/

Make your team, it's super easy. Afterwards, join the NeoGAF leagues with these codes:

8937-1554 For Classic league.

2825-906 For Head to Head

Really doesn't matter if you are good or not, just have fun.

Though, you might want to get serious once you see what is at stake!
KdjZJ0J.gif

Would be nice to have a few more teams on board before we kick off here.

Warning - Long Text ahead many photos. @The Culture Vulture You could post the MLS Fantasy Gaf again so it doesn't get hidden.

The Road So Far
Fresh off winning the MLS Cup and becoming the first team to five, the LA Galaxy were looking to continue to proclaim themselves as the league’s model franchise. The new season brought the departure of a few key players. Landon Donovan retired a champion just like his former teammate, David Beckham. Marcelo Sarvas went to Colorado where he received a substantial raise in his salary. The team did not get off to a great start, but the arrival of Steven Gerrard and Giovani Dos Santos brought great expectations for the latter half of the season. Unfortunately for the LA Galaxy, both Stefan Ishizaki and Jaime Penedo would leave the team halfway through the season. Fortunately, the team found its stride and most fans expected them to have a strong finish to the season and carry the momentum over to the playoffs. Sadly, the team could not get everyone on the same page and the LA Galaxy ended up in fifth place, where they would face off against the Seattle Sounders. The Sounders ended up getting past the LA Galaxy for the first time in the playoffs and thus the LA Galaxy’s season came to an abrupt end. The season being viewed as a failure meant change was immanent.

Gone But Never Forgotten. Let's Just Kiss and Say Goodbye.

m20HfUY.png
CuENsoH.png
dBCWsUb.png
Vwe1L71.png
rA1umWG.png
XH1LCas.png
Wl5s27i.png
fFglKrf.png
eK8KYoj.png
GKciIpD.png
xje7BP9.png
dT1K2Cz.png
u2Q2eJS.png
czlelqH.png
74omwXK.png

Jaime Penedo
Also known as Jaime “San” Penedo, he left the team halfway through the season due to contract disputes. He would later regret his decision of leaving the team. Penedo was the first goalie I truly believed in since Kevin “El Gato” Hartman. He was known for his amazing reflexes and saves. He made some mistakes every now and then, but he was still one of the best goalies in the league. He played really well against Seattle in the playoffs and kept the LA Galaxy in the game with some incredible saves. His departure was definitely noticed, especially in the playoffs. He was a beautiful man with beautiful saves. When I saw this save I knew he was my goalkeeper. My heart was broken when he left and I don't know how to mend it.

Juninho
Juninho and Marcelo Sarvas created the Brazilian connection in the midfield that worked extremely well. The two of them were the engine of the team. The pair guaranteed that the LA Galaxy would win the center field most of the time, thus allowing the team to retain most of the possession. With the departure of Sarvas, Juninho’s level of play suffered. He was paired off with Gerrard, but the two of them were never able to work in unison with one another. Juninho was sold to Club Tijuana.

Omar Gonzalez
Gonzalez has been an important part of the defense for the past few years. His designated player status was bought down(idk), to make room for Giovani Dos Santos. He did not have a bad season; he just didn’t play to the level that fans were accustomed to. Gonzalez was sold to Pachuca.

Stefan Ishizaki
He was member of the team that won the championship. As new member of the team I was skeptical of him, but he proved me wrong. He was great player with an amazing cross. He was even a finalist for newcomer of the year. His departure came out of nowhere and caught everyone off guard. Apparently, it was personal reason, so all you can do is wish him the best.

Dan Gargan
Gargan was an inexpensive pick up for the LA Galaxy and he more than proved his worth. He did not play a key role last season, but he was crucial in the 2014 season. Along side Alan Gordon, he is part of The Gargs and Gorgo Guide. There are only a few episodes, but they are great. He is pretty funny guy and quite an artist. I am going to miss this guy.

Edson Buddle
Buddle made his return to LA Galaxy. In his previous run with the team he was pretty successful. He scored an abundance of goals for this team in the past. In his return, Buddle was now an older player, a veteran that Bruce always likes to have. He didn’t play too many games, but in the games he did play he just did not have it anymore.

Ignacio Maganto
He is a player that was drafted by the LA Galaxy. He didn’t play much so it’s hard to say how good he was. Apparently, Arena did not think he was good enough. He was part of a photo shoot that turned out surprisingly well. He is a good kid, so hopefully he finds success somewhere else.

Todd Dunivant
Dunivant has had a long career in the MLS and decided to retire at the end of the 2015 season. He has won five titles, been an all star and is an intelligent person. The last few seasons he had been injured consistently, leading to minimal minutes with the team.

Mika Vayrynen
He was a brought over to strengthen the midfield. He was another player who spent a good portion of the season injured and was not able to play himself into the rotation. He was paid a decent salary, which I remember thinking that they should have just giving that money to Sarvas, so he would have stayed.

Donovan Ricketts
The departure of Penedo led to Rickets making his return to the LA Galaxy. In his previous run with the team, he won the goalkeeper of the year award. Unfortunately, things would go completely different this time around for Ricketts. He was a disaster and Rowe would have probably been a better goalie.

The New/Old Additions To The Team And Not The Other Way Around
7tlaDm4.png
j1jM2uU.png
pAj6Etu.png
epgzVl9.png
IHOprHz.png
tUysfkI.png
i6KNntx.png
oyxRnJL.png
vMX7DZG.png
CcsVKwt.png

Ashley Cole
The signing of Cole caused a big commotion in the MLS community for previous comments he had made about the league. If he wants to go to the beach I don’t mind, as long as he can still play.

Nigel de Jong
He is most famous for his creative tackles than anything else. That’s all I know. He was brought in as a replacement for Juninho to toughen up the midfield. Is he honestly going to be better than Juninho? Also, he might be the LA Galaxy’s latest designated player.

Jelle Van Damme
I am going to guess that Damme was brought in to replace Gonzalez. From what I have seen, he is very energetic player. He seems to be everywhere which is good, but at the same time it seems he can't stay in position and hold the team's shape.

Mike Magee
Magee makes his return to the LA Galaxy. He was traded to Chicago for Rogers, which infuriated plenty of fans. He then goes on to win the MVP which infuriated fans even more. Over time, and with the resurgence of Rogers as a defender the trade has been seen as less lopsided. Magee was known as Mr. November for scoring important goals during the playoffs. To be honest he is Mike Magee, so you better no his name.

Dan Kennedy
Kennedy came over from FC Dallas, where he lost his position to a younger goalie. As Ricketts replacement, there is no way he plays that bad? Right?

Jeff Larentowicz
Another veteran of the game. He came over from Chicago. Unless, someone gets injured I don't see him getting much playing time. He was probably brought over as safety net incase anything happens.

Emmanuel Boateng
A young Ghanaian player who seems to have a lot of speed. It will be interesting to see how valuable he is to the offense of the team.

Clement Diop
He came over from the LA Galaxy II. The word is that he is supposed to be extremely talented. When I saw the final for the La Galaxy II, he did not seem to be strong in the air. He will probably be the third string goalkeeper.

Back For More
xzhskgv.jpg
Wda8Wze.jpg
5uKU2oU.png
JeXUkiM.png
4VxZJAM.png
13TyRKB.png
tffXk3M.png
mymTDRI.png
r6iPOXr.png
m1rzgiy.png
Ghqug6X.png
q5oY4uw.png
Iy0SfWH.png
gTKaIbC.png
rIcFY9A.png
tjwbY5n.png
PjxPdem.png

Robbie Keane
Everyone knows Keane, unless if he attends a basketball game. Nicknamed the King, Keane won the MVP in 2014. Just like fine wine he seems to get better and better with age. Last season he was injured for a good portion of the season, yet he still managed to finish with decent numbers. What he lacks in speed and strength, he makes up with craftiness and experience. The remaining member of the Beckham, Donovan and Keane trio, the Irish man will try to lead the LA Galaxy to another title. Keane has been one of the best designated players of all time.

Gyasi Zardes
Zardes had a breakout season in 2014 with the help of Keane and Donovan. He has also been called up to national team at every opportunity. The lights are brighter than ever on Zardes and so are the expectations. The 2015 season saw a lack of production for the young player. Now there is more pressure than ever on him. Some fans have are already started to wonder if he has hit his peak. Will Bruce put him in the best position to succeed or will Zardes have to sacrifice his potential for the good of the team?

Giovani Dos Santos
Dos Santos came halfway through the season and was average. For all the hype that he brought I don't think he has played that well. He has definitely shown flashes of brilliance, but its weird how often he can disappear from the game. With a full season ahead, hopefully he can step up his game. He was brought into the team to gain the Mexican fans but also to produce.

Steven Gerrard
Gerrard said all the right things when he came over, but he did not do any of it. A legend in England and Liverpool, Gerrard has failed to live to up to expectations. He started out strong, scoring a goal in his first game, but it soon became evident that he was not cutting it. Hopefully with the him being here a full season, the results will be different.

Sebastian Lletget
Also known as Da Boy, Lletget was legit from the moment he arrived. He seemed to score in every game he played. The young midfielder, showed a lot talent in the pitch. Just like Zardes in his breakout season, Lleget hit a dry spell for quite a while, but he still continued to play pretty well. Will he improve on the great first season or will his production dip a little?

A.J. DeLaGarza
AJ is a very versatile defender that can defend various positions. For the first time in his career, he will have to be without his partner in crime, Gonzalez. He is also, the most consistent defender on the LA Galaxy.

Alan Gordon
Gordon is known as the super sub. He will come late in games and do his best to win games. He is most effective in the air with the majority of his goals coming from headers. It is amazing how effective he is with the limits time he gets. Hopefully, he can expect more late goals from him this season.

Baggio Husidic
Husidic is a decent player. Nothing special, but he can still get the job done. He got more playing time in 2014 than in 2015. With more midfielders this season it will be interesting how many minutes he gets. In November he grows a great looking mustache.

Leonardo
For many fans of the team, Leonardo has always been joked on. In previous years he has been pretty inconsistent, but last year was his best year. Arena being stubborn with always playing him paid off. He was better than Gonzalez last year. Against Santos, he did not start. It must be disappointing to having your best year, to not starting the next season.

Robbie Rodgers
Rogers was able to reinvent his career when he was switched to defender. He is quick, makes good overlapping runs and has a decent cross. This year it looks like he will be a right defender instead of a left one. He is very left footed so it will be interesting if he can adjust. Also, he has great hair.

Jose Villareal
Villareal has been with the team for a while, but has never been able to break into the first. Every time he gets momentum going he seems to get injured. He has great left foot and many fans want to see him succeed.

Predicted Line Up
jIVco0n.jpg

Lletget instead of Boateng.

Last Season
Last season ended in such horrible fashion. LA Galaxy ended up tied with Seattle but they beat the LA Galaxy in a tiebreaker. In the last game of the season Sporting beat LA 2-1, but there first goal was offside, which means that the LA galaxy would have gotten a point and finished ahead of Seattle. This would have meant the LA Galaxy would have played at The Stub Hub Center instead at Seattle. Unfortunately, this is a big difference for the LA Galaxy. The LA Galaxy would have probably beaten Seattle and who knows what could have happened afterwards. The way that the team gifted away the game with all of their mistakes was the most disappointing part. There was a stat that showed that Gio only passed the ball to Keane twice. How is that even possible? It’s ridiculous the lack of chemistry the team showed last season.

The Season Ahead
Bruce Arena has gone all out this year. There has been so much change this year. On paper the team looks strong, in reality who knows? It is going to take some time to get the team to be reach its full potential. The LA Galaxy always starts slow anyways, so it probably won’t be a big deal.

It’s hard to judge the team in preseason, but they have not looked sharp. De Jong and Gerrard did not play well at all. Santo’s players ran past both of them so many times. It feels like nothing changed. Then again its not like any MLS team played great, so it might not even be that big of a deal.

I’m worried that all the players don’t make a team. Individually everyone might be good, but as a team they’re not that great. For example, having the best players on the team, even though they may not be the best player for that position.

The LA Galaxy has a lot of young players on the team and I honestly don’t think they will get much playing time, unless, injuries happen to someone in the main roster. I believe Villarreal has the best chance out of all the young players.

I wonder how Bruce is going to use his subs. He’s not going to sub Keane, Gerrard, or Nigel, no matter how bad they play. He would sub Santos every once in a while but that was because of injury. That means the subs will be the wings. Gordon and Magee, will probably the players who sub in.

I want to wish everyone good luck this season. Let the best team win. Maybe if I dream enough they will win the championship. Remember if your team doesn't win then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Cystm

Giovinco is out there doing rude things to NYRB. That long range effort.

I'm not even mad at that Tmac curler. That was a beautiful strike. I am mad about a clear red being waved though.

Top Bottom