• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

Kei Kamara is now a DP

g60w2YX.gif

imBask

Banned
Drogba might announce tomorrow that he'll miss the first month because he doesn't feel like playing on a synthetic field.

being a decent human being > being a good athlete, what a prick.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Perry Kitchen left us so he could sign with Hearts of Midlothian lol.

He will most likely be back within MLS a year or two.

imBask

Banned
So a pro athlete who turns 38 in a week would be a better person if he was just more willing to risk fucking up his knees? I don't think he's the prick here.

after all the diva shit he pulled this winter AND not showing up for training camp?

he's been acting like a huge diva all winter. He doesn't want to play here, and it's not HIS decision to pick which games he plays

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh thank god, RSL isn't shitting the bed.

EDIT: Fucking hell, if RSL can keep this pressure up all game they might just pull it out

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We are never going to compete in this competition as long as we have these nonsense salary rules.

It might be more the timing right now. Being in preseason for these rounds isn't doing us any good, we need to start the league a month earlier. If Seattle had games under their belt they'd have won the first leg outright and LA would have had time to get the new squad broken in. The MLS calendar isn't doing us any favors in the CCL.

Cystm

It might be more the timing right now. Being in preseason for these rounds isn't doing us any good, we need to start the league a month earlier. If Seattle had games under their belt they'd have won the first leg outright and LA would have had time to get the new squad broken in. The MLS calendar isn't doing us any favors in the CCL.

I agree with the bold, but these absolute routes are making it feel like more of a cope out than a valid excuse.

Metrics must be telling them it is an insignificant blow to the league, compared to what altering the schedule would do. Shitty way to break in a new MLS season anyway.

"Hooray! We suck! Let's buy season tickets!"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. This has a lot more to do with the weird MLS calendar. You guys need to stick to the international FIFA calendar. Play from August to May with a month long break during the harshest winter period and that's that. It also certainly doesnt help when the MLS regular season clashes each summer with Gold Cups, Copa Americas, and World Cups! No league should be played during a World Cup, that's ridiculous.

ZZMitch

I agree. This has a lot more to do with the weird MLS calendar. You guys need to stick to the international FIFA calendar. Play from August to May with a month long break during the harshest winter period and that's that. It also certainly doesnt help when the MLS regular season clashes each summer with Gold Cups, Copa Americas, and World Cups! No league should be played during a World Cup, that's ridiculous.

The "harshest winter period" in places like Toronto and Montreal is much longer than a month. There is a reason Montreal is playing indoors for the first month of this season and the its not a coincidence that we share a similar schedule to Scandinavian countries. That sort of schedule change isn't feasible unless we are talking about at least a 3 month break, and even then it would be a bit iffy.

For example, the MLS season starts in just a few days and the temperature the morning is pushing -20C (and windy) where I live about smackdab in the middle of Montreal and Toronto. This ain't soccer weather.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The "harshest winter period" in places like Toronto and Montreal is much longer than a month. There is a reason Montreal is playing indoors for the first month of this season and the its not a coincidence that we share a similar schedule to Scandinavian countries. That sort of schedule change isn't feasible unless we are talking about at least a 3 month break, and even then it would be a bit iffy.

For example, the MLS season starts in just a few days and the temperature the morning is pushing -20C (and windy) where I live about smackdab in the middle of Montreal and Toronto. This ain't soccer weather.

We'd have to rig it so those teams play away games during that window, but unless we either move the league's window or talk the CCL guys into pushing the knockout stages back another month to April we're going to constantly be kneecapping the league in that competition. I really think we're at the point where we could conceivably win that thing if we could just stop punching ourselves in the dick.

None of that, of course, is to excuse the shitshows we saw this week. But we either move our calendar, get the CCL calendar moved, or the teams need to find a way to keep playing competitive matches during the break to keep the rust off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
honestly just push the second half of the tournament back a month so it starts in march and not february.

Also an option, but good luck trying to convince Mexico to give up part of their edge in the tournament. I'm not saying they only win because we're in preseason, but it sure as shit ain't making life harder for them.

How feasible would be to have the Canadian teams play in a dome/closed stadium? I insist aligning the MLS calendar with that of 99% of the rest of the leagues should be imperative if the league wants to have any chance of becoming one of the best in the world.

Sadly I think they have this weird schedule more because of financial reasons than because of the weather. Taking advantage of the one they have now they're making sure they won't have competition from the NBA or NFL for most of the season (especially during the summer). They need and should find a way to fit the calendar closer to that of the international community.

Weren't CONCACAF already considering switching to a same calendar year schedule?

What do you mean by "same calendar year schedule"?

ZZMitch

How feasible would be to have the Canadian teams play in a dome/closed stadium? I insist aligning the MLS calendar with that of 99% of the rest of the leagues should be imperative if the league wants to have any chance of becoming one of the best in the world.

Sadly I think they have this weird schedule more because of financial reasons than because of the weather. Taking advantage of the one they have now they're making sure they won't have competition from the NBA or NFL for most of the season (especially during the summer). They need and should find a way to fit the calendar closer to that of the international community.

Eh, I disagree, I bet you if temperatures were colder in England or Spain or whatever they would have different schedules too. It isn't just Canadian teams as well. Playing outdoor soccer between the months of December and March would likely not be feasible in: Montreal, Toronto, Minnesota, New England, New York, Columbus, Colorado, Chicago. Places like Philly and Vancouver are not exactly warm year round either. You can't just align your schedule to England, Spain, Italy, Germany when those places just have warmer climates then we do for the most part.

It would, at minimum, require most of the teams I have listed above to build indoor stadiums or find one to play in, in the winter. That won't be easy and will cost a lot of money. Is it really worth it? I can tell you that I won't be watching games at BMO Field or at Gillette Stadium in the middle of January. Who would?

I think MLS works best with a schedule that skips the winter months.

So apparently there is normal fantasy style MLS where you draft and have waivers n all that. Anyone interested in giving it a shot as well? I have it set for 10 teams at the moment and draft sometime later this week if possible. Also can choose between what I assume is a classic Rotisserie style and Head-To-Head. Time and style isnt set in stone so let me know if you join and what you can do. As long as it's done before sunday.

I created a private neogaf league here: http://app.draftmls.com/league/joining/TDMyc6rG2opEg3QTu quote for password

anyone interested in doing this?

I may shelve the league till next year. i was in a draft last night and the whole thing crashed halfway through so ill see how well it holds up for the season and then try next year with some more time.

Also Jermaine Jones to Colorado what?!?!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I may shelve the league till next year. i was in a draft last night and the whole thing crashed halfway through so ill see how well it holds up for the season and then try next year with some more time.

Also Jermaine Jones to Colorado what?!?!

I guess he wants some of the legalized dank shit?

Colorado really opening up the checkbook lately tho

ZZMitch

Wow we got GAM and the Rapids first round pick for JJ?

God, I hope they suck again this year. I want a high pick please!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Glad JJ got it sorted.

Imagine hearing JJ and Timmy Howard would be in Colorado this time last year?

I still can't believe it. At least Colorado isn't going to be complete shit this year, they should at least be a challenge defensively.

Top Bottom