• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

gutshot

Amazing what happens when you play talented players in their natural position. Too bad Klinsi will just go back to jamming square pegs into round holes once the Copa begins.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Amazing what happens when you play talented players in their natural position. Too bad Klinsi will just go back to jamming square pegs into round holes once the Copa begins.

Probably could have had an even better game had Fabian Johnson been in the midfield.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
also was more focused on the infuriating union game, how'd we look on the US side aside from Nagbe's goal?

Not many chances in the first half, Zardes could have had one if his first touch wasn't so heavy. Second half was better once Nagbe and Pulisic were both on the field and Bradley was shifted to D-Mid.

Cystm

Pulisic missed a good chance to score his first goal on the international level, but he was otherwise good.

Exhibit A: https://streamable.com/bge2

Also:

6.2_SKC-Match-Poster_20x24.jpg

Lalas looks like Jeff Foxworthy.

Dartastic

i lol'd. perfect back to back posts.
I don't mean to be a dick about it, but my first post still stands. I feel like most people have been fetishizing Nagbe in the midfield and Bradley as the 6. It finally happens and we have a 2nd half that's better than we've seen in a while. Sooooooooooooo.........?

BTM

I don't mean to be a dick about it, but my first post still stands. I feel like most people have been fetishizing Nagbe in the midfield and Bradley as the 6. It finally happens and we have a 2nd half that's better than we've seen in a while. Sooooooooooooo.........?

2nd half lineup looked pretty damn good with Nagbe, Pulisic, Wood and with Bradley moving back. Even Bedoya looked alright

Haha no I completely understand I just found it funny from my view (not having seen the game) seeing you post about him needing to play more and then having him pretty much prove your point a few minutes later.

Askani

Just caught the highlight of the goal. Way to stay with the play. Number 5 for Ecuador with a textbook example of ball watching. Just terrible. I don't know if he could have interrupted the play but he would have made it close, but thankfully he was caught flatfooted.

gutshot

Need some thread title ideas for the Copa America thread. I'm thinking either something referencing the FIFA scandal or maybe just throwing shade at the Euros. But I haven't come up with anything clever yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Our LB situation is absolutely dire. Fabian there serves as the lesser of so many evils.. I hope he remains there for the Copa.

I liked Garza there, he always performed well. I presume he's still injured though.

I know it saves us from a horrible hole in the back line, but it also kicks us in the teeth going forward.

I finally listened the Lalas podcast with Steve Sampson, and it's funny that the left back issue had big ramifications back in 1998, as well. Part of Sampson's rift with Harkes was because Steve asked Harkes to play at LB against Holland in a friendly, and Harkes balked at the request initially. Also, Sampson noted that bringing in David Regis late in the process to play left back may have caused some problems with team chemistry.

Cystm

Just came to post this. Fantastic guide. So much American Soccer!

• Extra Time is my go to MLS pod. Doyle has a usually solid take on what is happening in MLS and the USMNT.
  • The Mutant Gene has actually been really good so far. The Sampson interview took me back to a really depressing time in history. Still really good to hear his take on it. Alexi has the right mind for creating an interesting American soccer-centric podcast.
  • Still have yet to find a podcast that is specific to the USMNT/USWNT that I like. Any of you have any suggestions?
  • There needs to be more women doing this, or on this list.

I am of two minds on a CF97 focused podcast. I am a Cubs fan, so clearly I don't have a hard time dealing with let down, regret, despair, failure, misery, brief moments of joy that only generate more anxiety and despair, and we are so fucking ridiculously good right now, that the fear of crashing out before October is mounting and I just can't deal with it.

On the other hand, fuck that, this is our year and the Fire can bounce back after July!

I think I will hold off on a cf97 pod for now. Seeking out a CRS07 pod seems more enjoyable.

imBask

Banned
Are we going to get destroyed by LA, or just murdered?

I can't see anything good happening without Ciman to stop their big stars

Quakes are missing a whopping 7 starters due to Copa callups and injuries this Saturday. (Wondo, Amarikwa, Dawkins, Quintero, Godoy, Goodson, Stewart) Should be fun against a good FC Dallas team!
:(

Top Bottom