• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

PefMAa1.png

I don't think Giovinco is that good of a player, but wow what happen to Italy in the striker position. I didn't realize they been lacking there. They all look like decent at best players.

Maybe they should've called Gio, but Conte never really liked him

well there it is

Taylor Twellman ‏@TaylorTwellman 27m27 minutes ago
Taylor Twellman Retweeted footballitalia
Antonio Conte "If you chose to go play in #MLS, then you pay the consequences in footballing terms." #EURO2016

http://www.football-italia.net/84852/conte-‘i-spoke-pirlo’

Italy CT Antonio Conte says he spoke to Andrea Pirlo before opting not to call him for Euro 2016.

The New York City midfielder and his MLS colleague Sebastian Giovinco have both been left out of the squad for this summer’s tournament, almost certainly spelling the end of Pirlo’s international career.

“I spoke to Andrea, I needed to hear from him and we sent people to the US,” Conte explained in a Press conference at Coverciano today.

“However, we’ve made other choices and you have to accept them and deal with the consequences. Nothing was left to chance.

“We evaluated him and Giovinco, it’s normal that if you choose to go and play there then you can pay the consequences in footballing terms.

“We evaluated them technically, we didn’t leave anything to chance. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, we went everywhere to have clear and precise ideas.

“I picked the 30 who I think will give me the most guarantees.”

The Azzurri will face Scotland and Finland in warm-up friendlies, and Conte confirmed the choices were made to prepare for the opponents Italy will face at Euro 2016.

“We opted for Scotland because they’re very similar to Ireland, while Finland are more like Sweden.

“We chose them to see what kind of games await us.”

What did he say last year?

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/01...nte-supports-sebastian-giovincos-move-to-mls/

Speaking to Italian daily Tuttosport, Conte revealed he would have done the same thing Giovinco chose to do, not only for the financial factors in play — Giovinco’s TFC contract will reportedly pay the 27-year-old north of $7 million per year — but also for the fact he sees the North American game as a steadily improving place for players to ply their trade.

Translation via MLSsoccer.com:

“What else should he have done? In a few years players will elbow each other to go there. [MLS] will grow so much, and not just in terms of chatter.

“According to the latest surveys young Americans between six and 12 years old don’t choose the traditional sports like basketball and football, but they pick soccer. If they [North America] go down that road, pretty soon there’s going to be problems for everyone.”

Conte doesn’t seem all that bothered by the idea of Giovinco — or, perhaps one of his more regular national team players — signing with an MLS team. MLS is obviously on the steady incline, while Serie A clubs have seen their reputation plummet in recent years.

Perhaps he thought Gio played too well in a lower quality league and doesn't think it'll translate with the competition Italy will face in the Euros.

Either way, their loss. I get to see Gio Saturday so it's cool.

Dartastic

Any Seattle people in this thread that want to purchase a Copa America venue pass from me? I'm looking to offload it for face value, as I'm realizing that it'll be a much more expensive trip than I originally would have thought.

Copa America Centenario - Seattle Venue Pass Tickets (Includes all matches), CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA
Sat, 06/04/2016, 4:29 PM PDT
Lower End Zone 119 | Row: k | Seat: 5

I wanna say it was somewhere around $350?

300k plus 110k salary immediately off the books for a player on the last year of his contract? Holy fuck we fleeced Miami FC on this Michael Lahoud transfer.

Meier

300k plus 110k salary immediately off the books for a player on the last year of his contract? Holy fuck we fleeced Miami FC on this Michael Lahoud transfer.

They're throwing around a lot of cash (within reason). It seems based on this and the other player they bought that there aren't limitations on spending in NASL?

They're throwing around a lot of cash (within reason). It seems based on this and the other player they bought that there aren't limitations on spending in NASL?

it's just seems so excessive for a player like him (who in the past we would've let walk at the end of the season).

Lunar FC

Another horrific attendance display I see. Man it's sad to see this team play after the world cup 'success'.

Edit: Worst first touch: Zardes or Altidore?

Edit2: If Guzan, Bradley, Jones, Beckerman are starting for us still in a year I'm going to stop watching.

Dartastic

Zardes cannot continue to be on this squad if his first touch isnt improving. It will cost us games.

Our midfield also doesn't look super great. We can't get the ball upfield. IF ONLY WE HAD AN ELITE SHUTTLER ON THE BENCH. OH WAIT.

Cystm

Please JK, Nagbe and Pulisic in the starting XI for CA.

Nagbe CM, Bradley CDM. Pulisic / Dempsey. Pulisic / Wood.

Edit: Zardes can fumble water bottles on the bench.

E2: Nagbe is so damn happy. That smile on his face. So fucking amazing.

Top Bottom