• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

It'll be interesting to see if they can keep it together and grab a playoff spot.

Hot Take: Toronto will win the Eastern Conference.
Fuck, I can only hope. It's been such a rollercoaster of emotions with this club over the years.

Last night during the FS1 broadcast they were talking about how Toronto is a legitimate threat for the Shield and MLS Cup, and I just got all giddy. I'm not at all used to being good, let alone serious contenders.

Should we make the Cup final, I will do everything I possibly can to be there. And regardless of where I am, I'd probably just lose it, win or not.

RBH

atlanta-stadium.jpg

Atlanta United has surpassed 22,000 season ticket sales for its inaugural 2017 season, club president Darren Eales said Friday. The total, which can grow because there is still six more months before the team plays its first game, is believed to be the most season tickets sold by an expansion club in MLS history.

“There’s been a real sense of Atlanta United being the club of the city,” Eales said.

The total reportedly surpasses the undisclosed season-ticket packages sold by Seattle in its 2009 expansion year, when it averaged 30,897 per game. The New York Times reported that the Sounders sold 22,000 season-ticket packages in 2009. A Seattle spokesman declined to verify that total. Atlanta United’s total is based exclusively on full season-ticket pages and doesn’t include suite sales.

The total also places Atlanta United second only to the Sounders in season-ticket sales for any MLS club, according to Eales.

By comparison, the Hawks averaged 16,832 in general attendance at Philips Arena during the 2016 season. The Braves are averaging 22,904 in general attendance this season at Turner Field.

Atlanta United season tickets are available for purchase only by the approximately 11,000 members of the team’s Founders’ Club, which is still accepting members. Eales said that members who have bought season tickets have averaged 2.6 tickets. Before the sales conversion process started earlier this year, owner Arthur Blank and Eales said that more than 30,000 tickets had been pledged to be purchased.

Ticket prices range from $25-$225 per game. The most expensive seats are in the SunTrust Club at midfield and are $4,050 to see 18 home games. The least expensive tickets are $360. There are eight levels of pricing.

Eales said that eight of the 10 lower club levels have sold out and that more than 3,000 tickets have been purchased in the supporters section behind one of the goals. There are approximately 5,500 seats in the supporters section. Eales said they are going to expand the general admission seating.

“That will be the engine room of the stadium,” Eales said. “It speaks volumes for the level of support of soccer in the city.”

Eales said the club has surpassed the sales benchmarks it had set, and the team has reached a point of seeing how far it can go.

“This is new territory for an MLS club,” he said.

Eales said the sales total is remarkable because some of the aspects that drive purchases haven’t been finalized: The team still hasn’t a hired a coach, the jersey (kit) hasn’t been revealed and the schedule is unknown. The team will play on the road until June, which is when Mercedes-Benz Stadium is scheduled to open.

“For us, it’s a case of keep doing what we are doing,” Eales said. “We are a brand new club, and our Founder’s Club members are all in this together.”
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/atlanta-united-reports-more-than-22000-season-tick/nsJRf/

- Yedlin up in North England, might sign with Newcastle or Sunderland.
- Pulisic goal from the last Dortmund friendly today

Great video recap of Lynden Gooch's game this weekend where he was Sunderland's MOTM: https://www.facebook.com/NatsAbroad/videos/612064685635499/. He looked solid vs Man City the week before as well (I say this as a City fan) -- very exciting start to the season for him.
Nice to see him get PT and play well. I imagine he'll be back on the bench once a few of their starters return, but his positive performances should mean more time for him in the near term.

@archiert1 7m7 minutes ago
Ambitious this...BILD claiming that Stoke City have bid €20 million for Borussia Dortmund's teenage midfielder Christian Pulisic.

Mark Hughes and an 18 year old...

Yeah I wouldn't want that.

zroid

Banned
Maybe TFC should stop passing the ball to Cyle Larin? Sure he's from Toronto but that's no excuse.

also this game has zero defence. nice finish from Ricketts.

ZZMitch

Hey guys I've been gone doing my Masters field work in northern Canada for the last 5 weeks or so and missed everything MLS (didn't have internet or cell service)... What did I miss? I see the Revs are falling down the standings but haven't had the chance to investigate further

Hey guys I've been gone doing my Masters field work in northern Canada for the last 5 weeks or so and missed everything MLS (didn't have internet or cell service)... What did I miss? I see the Revs are falling down the standings but haven't had the chance to investigate further

Chicago finally won a road game, TFC rocks, Seattle dropped Sigi and gained Lodeiro and looks good, Vancouver sucks, Kreis went to Orlando, TFC lost to a 9-man San Jose. That's a lot of it.

Bedoya finally came home

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Bedoya's back, Jozy's killing it, BWP's climbing the golden boot standings, Toronto can make a shield run, and somehow NYCFC are still atop the East.

zroid

Banned
of course Bendik makes the hero saves when he's in Orlando

edit: a 6 month suspension for Hope Solo seems awfully harsh for one stupid, emotionally charged comment

zroid

Banned
6 of our last 8 games are at home, and 2 of them are against Chicago

I like our odds of winning the East. Hopefully Irwin gets back.

Azuran

Banned
Oh damn first place in the east. Who knew keeping the same core of players and coach for more than one season would pay off?

Top Bottom