• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

RBH

For the first time ever, MLS matches will be paired with the NFL in a Sunday afternoon doubleheader. Fox announced that they will show one of two MLS matches on Sept. 18, during Week 2 of the NFL regular season, either before or after their regional NFL game.

Fox hasn’t revealed which markets will carry which games, but based on Fox’s NFL schedule in Week 2, it’s most likely that those in the Eastern United States will have their NFL game first before seeing Toronto FC play the New York Red Bulls at 5 PM ET. Conversely, those in the Western United States will watch Sporting Kansas City take on the Los Angeles Galaxy at 2 PM ET before watching their 4 PM NFL game.

That being said, there are a few hurdles that Fox and MLS are going to be facing by undergoing this partnership. One, while Fox confirmed that the markets of Los Angeles, Kansas City and New York City would be able to watch their local game, that doesn’t necessarily mean their local NFL team wouldn’t be playing at the same time. For example, the Kansas City Chiefs play in Houston on CBS at the same time as Sporting Kansas City on Fox. Kansas City has one of the better MLS fanbases but they may be fighting a losing battle by directly competing with the Chiefs. This will not be a problem for NYC who have the Jets playing that Thursday and the Giants playing at 1 PM ET, nor would it be a problem for LA who have the Rams playing at 4:05 PM ET.

Second, Fox placed these MLS matches to take advantage of using the NFL as a lead-in, either from Fox NFL Sunday or the early Sunday game. The MLS matches are going to be taking place at 2 ET and 5 ET, respectively. That means at most, the matches won’t kick-off until about an hour after the pregame show or the early game.

Now, this is mostly to provide for some sort of pregame MLS show or to compensate for an NFL game possibly running long, but that length of time between the lead-in and the kickoff kind of defeats the purpose of the lead-in. If I’m done watching Fox NFL Sunday and then see that SKC/LA doesn’t kickoff for another hour, I’ll flip over to CBS to watch whatever game is on there and may not flip back. Just think that at least for the early MLS match, it’s better to have it at either 1:15 or 1:30 ET and have it situated closer to Fox NFL Sunday.

Despite these potential issues, this is a great move for Fox and MLS. After not committing any MLS matches on Fox in their first season with MLS rights last year, Fox announced they would show four MLS matches on Fox during the summer. Committing to showing two more matches, it shows Fox is open to the idea of dedicating more broadcast time for MLS and that can only mean great things for the MLS/Fox relationship in the future. If this becomes a success and the schedule allows it, maybe we will see more MLS/NFL doubleheaders in the future as well.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/fox...18.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cystm

Alejandro Moreno is the fucking worst. I would rather listen to the high pitched squeals
It's in the net! Ohhhh, it's in the net!
of the DCU announcer for an entire Sunday block than listen to this fucking permanently negative condescending douche bag.

USMNT roster:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde FC),
Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids)

DEFENDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Rubio Rubin (FC Utrecht), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV)
Sept. 2, 2016 St. Vincent & The Grenadines vs. United States
Sept. 6, 2016 United States vs. Trinidad & Tobago

imBask

Banned
good lord Timbers

homietheclown3.png

The Quakes finally fired GM John Doyle. He's been a long time servant of the club and has been there as a player or employee since the start of MLS, but his recent player acquisitions have been terrible. Not sure who they'll get to replace him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow. This is Kljestan's last cap apparently? I had no clue it had been that long. Almost unfathomable really..

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/770321911024873472

It's crazy because Klinsmann wanted people who were playing in Europe at the highest level and he was with a Champion's League level team. It's even crazier because he's improved a lot since coming to NYRB, he's playing a lot better this year than he was last year.

The fact he hasn't gotten a call until now is just crazytown. It could be due to his age.

I will say a midfield with Bradley, Nagbe, Kljestan, Fabian Johnson and Pulisic would be crazy to see in action.

Meier

It's crazy because Klinsmann wanted people who were playing in Europe at the highest level and he was with a Champion's League level team. It's even crazier because he's improved a lot since coming to NYRB, he's playing a lot better this year than he was last year.

The fact he hasn't gotten a call until now is just crazytown. It could be due to his age.

I will say a midfield with Bradley, Nagbe, Kljestan, Fabian Johnson and Pulisic would be crazy to see in action.

As it turns out, that was a bit of fun on Ives' behalf. He has had plenty of caps since then (I knew I wasn't totally crazy), but it's been since 2014 since his last.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As it turns out, that was a bit of fun on Ives' behalf. He has had plenty of caps since then (I knew I wasn't totally crazy), but it's been since 2014 since his last.

It has been far too long though, especially considering how he's been playing and what Klinsmann has been looking for in the midfield.

If we don't have a stacked to death midfield in the next two games there's no one to blame but Klinsmann at this point.

Top Bottom