• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

zroid

Banned
As long as you're not up 4-1 you should be fine.

qUq6z1C.gif

imBask

Banned
well, that's what happens when Piatti is left out of the MVP ballot but NYRB gets 2 players in there

STRAIGHT OUTTA ARGENTINA

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
hey tell that to the pair of beautiful goals he scored

to be fair tho Ciman was bad for most of the season, but so far in the playoffs he's been incredible

If Ciman didn't play the way he did we'd probably have run all over you guys. He's gotta be the MVP of those two games.

If he is healthy for Mexico then this is good. Dude's going to be going out there with something to prove.

US-Mexico is on Friday.

USMNT lineup that many people (including me) are assuming, though Klinsmann has always been one for a curveball.

----------------Howard
Yedlin-Gonzalez-Brooks-Johnson
----------Bradley--------Jones--------
Bedoya-------Kljestan-------Pulisic
----------------Altidore-----------------

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
US-Mexico is on Friday.

USMNT lineup that many people (including me) are assuming, though Klinsmann has always been one for a curveball.

----------------Howard
Yedlin-Gonzalez-Brooks-Johnson
----------Bradley--------Jones--------
Bedoya-------Kljestan-------Pulisic
----------------Altidore-----------------

Given the way Morris has been playing I'd assume he might be up for a start. Maybe on the wing instead of Bedoya, given Bradley and Jones are locking down the midfield. Sacha, Pulisic, Jozy and Morris could potentially be a really strong attacking core.

EDIT: Hadn't seen the news about Morris. That really sucks.

EDIT2: Historically Jozy hasn't been the best in a single striker roll, so why the assumption he'd be deployed in one?

I think Klinsmann will want Bedoya out there as a plugger who tucks inside and can track back when Yedlin overlaps.

I also just saw that Morris has a hamstring injury. :/

Yes, I could also see Wood/Altidore up top, but I'm not sure how you include Kljestan in a flat 4-4-2. We'll see.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Klinsmann will want Bedoya out there as a plugger who tucks inside and can track back when Yedlin overlaps.

I also just saw that Morris has a hamstring injury. :/

Yes, I could also see Wood/Altidore up top, but I'm not sure how you include Kljestan in a flat 4-4-2. We'll see.

If we do go 4-4-2 then it'll be a choice between Kljestan and Jones. I could definitely see him wanting both out there though, I think we'd be better for it.

Given the fact Osorio is supposedly prepping Mexico to deal with a two striker formation a 4-2-3-1 might really be the best option.

Or if we're up 4-0 and we decide to close up shop!
Well....
The crowds in Costa Rica, first at Estadio Saprissa and now Estadio Nacional, have always delivered one of the toughest home-field advantages to overcome in CONCACAF. The MNT has yet to crack the code, going 0-8-1 all-time in the Central American country, with the only draw coming in the team’s first visit, a 1-1 deadlock in Alajuela on May 26, 1985.

- ESPNFC writers guess how the US will line up on Friday:

Jeff Carlisle's XI (4-4-2): Tim Howard; DeAndre Yedlin, Omar Gonzalez, John Brooks, Fabian Johnson; Christian Pulisic, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Alejandro Bedoya; Bobby Wood, Jozy Altidore

Doug McIntyre's XI (4-3-3): Howard; Yedlin, Birnbaum, Brooks, Johnson; Bradley, Bedoya, Kljestan; Pulisic, Altidore, Wood

Jason Davis's XI (4-1-3-2): Howard; Yedlin, Gonzalez, Brooks, Johnson; Bradley; Bedoya, Kljestan, Pulisic; Wood, Altidore

Noah Davis's XI (4-1-2-1-2): Howard; Yedlin, Gonzalez, Brooks Johnson; Bradley; Bedoya, Pulisic; Kljestan; Altidore, Wood

Cystm

So, I might me joining TFC/IMFC GAF at the beginning of the year. Absolutely ashamed of my country for so much, but this? Pathetic. So much of this country is imbecilic that I just can't anymore.

I am making a Homer steps back into bushes.gif complete with a USMNT kit turning into a CMNT kit to deal with the anxiety/sadness/shame spiral.

So, I might me joining TFC/IMFG GAF at the beginning of the year. Absolutely ashamed of my country for so much, but this? Pathetic. So much of this country is imbecilic that I just can't anymore.

I am making a Homer steps back into bushes.gif complete with a USMNT kit turning into a CMNT kit to deal with the anxiety/sadness/shame spiral.

I hope USAvMexico doesn't turn into some awkward shit.

Cystm

I hope USAvMexico doesn't turn into some awkward shit.

It's Ohio. These are the people that threw beer cans at Portland players in MLS cup, refuse to change their baseball club's racist logo, and gleefully voted for a racist, sexist, xenophobic, and incompetent tangerine shit lord in hopes that he would "make America great again."

I hope Mexico win 7 - 0. I hope they get to the match early and build a wall around Mapfre so the USMNT and supporters can't enter the stadium.

When you're at that game, look around at all the people cheering on the US and wonder just how many of them are rooting for a wall to be built at the border.

How many of them are going to go home and thank god for Donald Trump?

It can't not be awkward.

Welp, we still have a game tonight. Kickoff is around 8pm ET on Fox Soccer and Univision.

A few preview articles:

- ESPNFC on USMNT players in the Bundesliga: Pulisic becoming one of Bundesliga's best; Brooks compared to Boateng
- ESPNFC: U.S. vs. Mexico: Keys to Friday's World Cup qualifier in Columbus, Ohio
- ESPNFC: U.S. form, not Columbus mystique, is key vs. Mexico in World Cup qualifier
- MLS Analyst: Tactical preview of USMNT vs. Mexico in Hexagonal opener
- Grant Wahl: The Education of Christian Pulisic: Inside the Dortmund, USA rising star's rapid growth
- Washington Post: As USMNT readies for Mexico, Alejandro Bedoya calls for positive fan support, extols team’s diversity
- Washington Post: The heart of the U.S. vs. Mexico soccer rivalry beats in the American heartland

SPI odds of qualifying before the Hex kicks off:

Seems lower than we usually are. I think we typically come in at over 90%. These first two games will be very difficult and set the tone for the Hex. Hopefully the US can put together at least 3 points from the Mexico and Costa Rica matches.

A couple articles worth checking out today:

- NY Times: ‘It Is America. But I Want to Play in Mexico.’
Soccer prospects near the United States-Mexico border face an early decision about their careers that comes with long-term consequences.
- Jeff Carlisle for ESPN: United States vs. Mexico to play out with a post-election backdrop

EDIT:

Also: FC Dallas' Matt Hedges named 2016 MLS Defender of the Year
Drafted by Dallas with the No. 11 overall selection in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft, Hedges beat out finalists Colorado Rapids defender Axel Sjoberg and LA Galaxy defender Jelle Van Damme for the award. The once-capped American took home nearly 25 percent of the combined media, player and club management vote, four percentage points more than runner-up Van Damme and over seven points higher than the third-place Sjoberg. Hedges’ FCD teammate Walker Zimmerman finished fourth in the voting, while D.C.’s Steve Birnbaum placed fifth.

Dartastic

I'm having a really hard time getting up for today's match. I'm still feeling kinda shocked by the results of the election, and the Portland riot yesterday. I also feel kinda... wrong about being so pro USA and anti-Mexico right now. I wish I felt up for this game. I don't.

ZZMitch

I'm having a really hard time getting up for today's match. I'm still feeling kinda shocked by the results of the election, and the Portland riot yesterday. I also feel kinda... wrong about being so pro USA and anti-Mexico right now. I wish I felt up for this game. I don't.

Root for the players (who I love), not the flag.

Top Bottom