• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

johnny956

He'll still shred if he can stay healthy, but he's not exactly peak anymore. Watch the Fire pick him and Schweinsteiger up and make a cup run. #MLSRetirementLeague

Paging Esch:

St. Louis ownership group announces sweeping plans for MLS expansion bid

Stadium looks great. Sounds like us in the city will be voting on it this April if everything comes to pass. This ownership group isn't dragging their feet. Mayor supports it. I'll be voting yes for sure. Sounds like $80 million for residents, hoping it'll just be a hotel tax increase lol

Cystm

Man that USMNT defense looked like garbage on the Costa Rica game. Why the fuck they never call Chad Marshall to the national team? Guy is one of the best defenders in MLS.

Brooks and Gonz are really solid backs. They play extremely well for their clubs and have had truly inspiring matches at the international level. Brooks against Paraguay in Copa. (That 3v1 tho! Phewwwwww) Omar against Mexico 2013

They were terrible against Mex/CRC, but it's something that isn't entirely on their shoulders. Klinsmann has lost the plot for a while now and while I've defended his choices in the past, the players have shown that they are done with him, and it's time for a managerial change.

Meier

Another retirement for NYCFC -- Mehdi Ballouchy. Follows on Andoni Iraola yesterday. They're going to be signing a lot of folks in the next few months.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lots of big names leaving MLS. Going to be interesting who these teams get to replace them.

I mean, LA specifically will be fine. Keane and Dos Santos were occupying a lot of the same space so they shouldn't have the issues they were having this season.

Another retirement for NYCFC -- Mehdi Ballouchy. Follows on Andoni Iraola yesterday. They're going to be signing a lot of folks in the next few months.

They've needed to rework that midfield for a while now. It's way too slow.

Cystm

Heh, CBS did a full-sale re-edit of that article without even acknowledging it. That's pretty fucked up.

Yikes.

In other news, I am trolling through Dax McCarty's Twitter feed to help pin down some source material and found this gem from last season:

Unless he's doubled down, there is some misreporting in this article as it says an "upcoming issue" but the tweet is from March 2013 apparently. But either way.. UGH.

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...oesnt-consider-foreign-born-players-american/
He said something a little different last April when he was on Lalas' podcast:
zviXR1f.jpg
Also note, FWIW, that he used 5-6 foreign born players in the 2002 World Cup squad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yikes.

In other news, I am trolling through Dax McCarty's Twitter feed to help pin down some source material and found this gem from last season:

It's the look on his face that makes it :lol

He said something a little different last April when he was on Lalas' podcast:Also note, FWIW, that he used 5-6 foreign born players in the 2002 World Cup squad.

I mean, people have made that sort of complaint about Chandler for a while now. In that his form for us is always crap.

I think they were undefeated this season or at least on a long streak before this happened:

Stunner: Top-seeded @MarylandMSoccer concedes 4 late goals in 12 minutes and is ousted from NCAA tournament by @PCFriarsMSoccer, 5-4 #terps

Also, this is hilarious and kinda horrifying:
Jurgen Klinsmann, whose status as coach of the United States national team is under intense scrutiny, said Sunday night that he is “very comfortable” with his position and that he believes those calling for him to be fired are “being disrespectful” and “ignoring the facts” of his tenure leading the American team.

Speaking in a telephone interview, Klinsmann — who had recently returned from Berlin, where he attended a state dinner last week with President Obama and Angela Merkel, the chancellor of Germany — said he had exchanged text messages with Sunil Gulati, the president of U.S. Soccer, and that he expected to talk with Gulati in the coming days.

That discussion will take place in the shadow of mounting criticism of Klinsmann’s performance and after the team’s two recent losses in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, including a humiliating 4-0 defeat to Costa Rica last Tuesday that has many fans calling on Gulati to fire Klinsmann.

“I’m not afraid,” Klinsmann said. “What you need to do is stick to the facts. Soccer is emotional and a lot of people make conclusions without knowing anything about the inside of the team or the sport. I still believe we will get the points we need to qualify, and I am even confident we could win the group.”

He added: “The fact is, we lost two games. There is a lot of talk from people who don’t understand soccer or the team.”
More via the link.

gutshot

Well, he should be able to turn the team around while they look for a long term replacement.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with his appointment at all. In fact, I'm excited to see what he can do with Pulisic. He was pretty instrumental in making Landon a centerpiece of the USMNT.

gutshot

I know it is early, but what do you think Arena's first choice XI will be? I have to imagine long-time Klinsi guys like Chandler and Jones won't sniff the field now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know it is early, but what do you think Arena's first choice XI will be? I have to imagine long-time Klinsi guys like Chandler and Jones won't sniff the field now.

I'm not sure much will change outside of no more Jones and Chandler. With any luck he'll start Pulisic and Kljestan at the same time since those two are amazing looking together. He should keep Wood and Altidore as strike-combo, Klinsmann was right about the two of them I think.

The right decision in general but specifically the right time to do it.

Yup. Over a month til January camp so he's got plenty of time.

Meier

Rob Stone
‏@RobStoneONFOX
If Arena does take over #USMNT , expect Curt Onalfo to be the next @LAGalaxy HC

He is currently the coach of LAG II.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Rob Stone
‏@RobStoneONFOX
If Arena does take over #USMNT , expect Curt Onalfo to be the next @LAGalaxy HC

He is currently the coach of LAG II.

Maybe he's improved since he was with DC. I started watching while he was our head coach and he was bad.

RR30

GTFO klinsmann. Thanks for nothing you arrogant bastard.

This is hilarious considering Arena is even more arrogant.

Klinsmann needed to go. I feel bad celebrating for someone getting fired but it's his own fault when you start a 3 man backline against Mexico in a WCQ without your best CB and starting Jones who was nowhere near 90 minutes fit.

Thanks for leaving US in a very nice position from a talent standpoint though. Pulisc/Brooks/Wood at the very minimum gives us 3 really talented guys. Add in some other young players who could be ready by '18 and the future is bright assuming we get a good manager in there.

Top Bottom