• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You guys know Yedlin better than me. I know he's fast, but is he a good right back. I've only seen him in Copa America and he looked OK.

He played in the Premier League last year and earned a spot during his loan at Sunderland and now he's a starter at Newcastle. He's not like the best in the world, but he's sure as shit better than Chandler, who has always played like shit internationally.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow so I guess it might be true... that Donovan came back on a promise that Bruce arena will become the head coach again as a makeup for being off the Brazil team and that his role will be as a super sub.

Well, according to the WaPo soccer guy Arena was approached about taking over earlier in the week if this game goes poorly.

ZZMitch

If Klinsmann doesn't get the axe for these two games I will have lost all faith in US soccer. Gulati should be on the hot seat too

What a disaster. He's completely lost the team, so I have to imagine he's gone now. No sense in keeping a (bad) coach that no one wants to play for at this point. It's now or never if they're going to make a change.

A couple of comments that I've seen tonight and agree with. First, every player on the USMNT plays worse for the national team than they do for their club team. That's on the coach. Also, this is the most talented player pool the US has put together in a long time (if not ever), and they're seriously underperforming.

As noted in the thread, Goff and Grant Wahl both mentioned Arena as potentially being lined up, and Doug MacIntyre at ESPN said the same thing:
Heard as far back as last year that Arena was the fed’s top choice in the event of a coaching change...
There was another rumor that they might be taking a look at Sigi Schmid, as well, but I don't know if there's much to it. We shall see.

I need a mental health break from this team for a while.

There is absolutely no excuse for losing to Costa Rica 4-0. None. At all.
Except for the fact that our team is used to toying with the USMNT everytime they visit and it has been this way for quite a while now.

Klinsmann may be bad but there was nothing out of the ordinary about the result if you know the history between both teams. We just made the most out of the chances we usually have against the US.

Cystm

Except for the fact that our team is used to toying with the USMNT everytime they visit and it has been this way for quite a while now.

Klinsmann may be bad but there was nothing out of the ordinary about the result if you know the history between both teams. We just made the most out of the chances we usually have against the US.

You usually win at home and so do we(re: water is wet) 14-6-15 record now.

How was your experience in the Copa, BTW?

Yeah correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever won in Costa Rica in World Cup Qualifying. In fact, we pretty much always struggle playing in Central America. It seems like Caribbean is the only place in CONCACAF where we can get a regular road win.

Having said that, it truly was an embarrassing display. Especially the 4th goal, in that sequence we looked like a 3rd division college team. Brooks completely miss hitting the ball, followed by Chandler making a horrendous pass to the other team. It was amateur hour. Costa Rica barely had to try for their 3rd and 4th goals.

I'm a LA Galaxy guy, so while I like Bruce Arena, I'm not sure if he's the best fit for taking the USMNT to the next level. Arena can get results but sometimes at the expense of playing uninspiring soccer. He's also the type of coach who heavily leans on old veterans (*cough*Donavon#26*cough) instead of giving youth a chance. I didn't understand why Bruce Arena didn't give young players like Ari Lassiter and Bradford Jameison IV a chance when the Galaxy got hit with a slew of injuries to the forwards. But that's my Galaxy rant..

Clearly our youth is the future for the USMNT, they just need to be given the proper experience and guidance. And we need a coach who will encourage creative players instead of just relying on "work-horses". It seems guys like Nygen and Nagbe can never get any real traction on the National Team and that's a problem. We need to build a core midfield that is creative and technically sound, so we can actually maintain possession and composure against high-level competition.

Personally I'd like for us to spend big bucks to get a proven La Liga or EPL coach. And don't give him the entire keys to the house. Give him a 2 year contract and nice chair on the lawn. If he gets results and actually shows positive progress, then they can expand his role. Sure it would be nice to have an American coach, but to be brutally honest, we don't have a enough quality coaches to take us to the next level. Bob Bradley is our most accomplished coach and I don't think he's even recorded a win yet at Swansea City, so I imagine his stay will be brief.

gutshot

Went to bed at halftime because... ain't nobody got time for that. I figured we'd lose but four-nil? Jesus.

Jurgen has got to go.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Just wow. Defensively this team was just awful - continually making plays and decisions that wouldn't be acceptable at the high school level. On the first goal what the hell was Gonzales doing? Just deciding to not pressure the ball and allow an easy cross into the box without many defenders back? wtf? 12yr old youth teams have more heart and knowledge than that. PRESSURE THE BALL you moron!

Getting continually beat the near post on crosses when that is the only play CR had? terrible.

Brooks? Uh...yes by all means dive in for the ball when when it is at the feet of the offensive player and you don't have any support. Again, this is incredibly basic soccer that our defenders just failed at. It almost looked like they played with the intention of getting beaten badly as it seems to be the only way to explain how terrible they were.

Klinsman or not, this entire defensive unit has to be shown the door for that performance.

Meier

I only got to watch about 15 minutes of the game yesterday (the final 15 of the first half). I've obviously been strongly on #TeamJurgen for years now in the face of a lot of opposition, but I don't see how anyone could be at this point. You don't give up all those goals in succession without the team having quit on the coach. Time for a change.

ZZMitch

I only got to watch about 15 minutes of the game yesterday (the final 15 of the first half). I've obviously been strongly on #TeamJurgen for years now in the face of a lot of opposition, but I don't see how anyone could be at this point. You don't give up all those goals in succession without the team having quit on the coach. Time for a change.

Zune defense force and Jurgen defense force (at least before now). Gotta pick your side better bud!

Meier

Zune defense force and Jurgen defense force (at least before now). Gotta pick your side better bud!

I stand by the Zune being better than the iPod at that point in time! Great device.

And I think JK was the right guy for a long time, but obviously there is no turning back from this. You've got to nip this in the bud before we're past the point of no return.

Failure analysis:

- MLS Analyst: USMNT find rock bottom and it's in Costa Rica
- Grant Wahl: Pressure squarely on Klinsmann after Costa Rica thrashes USA in World Cup qualifier
- Grant Wahl: USA's dire start to the Hex shows it's time for Jurgen Klinsmann to go
- ESPNFC: No positives for Klinsmann or players after U.S.' shocking loss to Costa Rica
- YahooSports: U.S. Soccer must move on from Jurgen Klinsmann era
- FoxSoccer: Jurgen Klinsmann's time is done: U.S. Soccer has to fire the USMNT manager
- Galarcep: Shellacked in San Jose: Why Jurgen Klinsmann's job should be in jeopardy
- Sciaretta: As Winter Sets in, All Eyes Turn Toward Sunil Gulati

Addressing a few points that have come up here...

- It takes nothing away from Costa Rica's dominance in this fixture to say that 4-0 was a historically bad result that shouldn't have happened. I understand that the US has been beaten (and sometimes badly) down in Costa Rica over the years, but the USMNT hasn't been down 4-0 in a WCQ since 1980. That, coupled with the nature of the utter capitulation, is something that shouldn't happen. Full credit to Costa Rica for dominating at home again and congrats on the win, but this was a few levels worse than the previous US losses there.

- Bruce Arena makes sense for a number of reasons. If they make a move, it's a short transition into two critical games, so I'm not sure they have time to bring a foreign coach up to speed. He's obviously familiar with the process and the player pool. He's also out of contract with the Galaxy in a few weeks/months. I think it'd be great to find an exciting, forward-looking coach at some point, but right now the main goal is salvaging the cycle by qualifying for the next World Cup. Arena gives them a shot at doing that.

- Regarding a number of players that have underperformed, Klinsmann's coaching and press conference demeanor has undoubtedly contributed to this. Take Brooks, for example: He's placed in a three-man backline for one of the first times in his career(?) during his first WCQ for the US. He makes an error at the end of the game (losing Marquez) which leads to the game winning goal. Klinsmann then throws him under the bus and directly blames him during the post game press conference for the error. Klinsmann brings it up AGAIN in the press conference before the Costa Rica game and says that Brooks has apologized to the team for screwing up. Then Brooks goes out and lays an egg against Costa Rica. How about Klinsmann takes some responsibility and also keeps some of this in-house? I don't see how going after a young player like Brooks in press conferences helped things. Yes, he's an adult and should go out of his comfort zone, blah blah blah, but just try and manage the team with a little more savvy next time.

Dartastic

Oh, I know the history. However, the loss is so large that it makes it inexcusable. The USMNT has always been a group that is supposed to have grit, and in this game they looked absolutely listless. It looked like they gave up on their coach. A coach is supposed to put a team together that can exceed the sum of their parts, and Klinsmann can't do that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, I know the history. However, the loss is so large that it makes it inexcusable. The USMNT has always been a group that is supposed to have grit, and in this game they looked absolutely listless. It looked like they gave up on their coach. A coach is supposed to put a team together that can exceed the sum of their parts, and Klinsmann can't do that.

It's not so much that we lost, it's how we lost. The team just gave up after the second goal when under any other coach they'd have just fought harder.

RR30

Failure analysis:

- MLS Analyst: USMNT find rock bottom and it's in Costa Rica
- Grant Wahl: Pressure squarely on Klinsmann after Costa Rica thrashes USA in World Cup qualifier
- Grant Wahl: USA's dire start to the Hex shows it's time for Jurgen Klinsmann to go
- ESPNFC: No positives for Klinsmann or players after U.S.' shocking loss to Costa Rica
- YahooSports: U.S. Soccer must move on from Jurgen Klinsmann era
- FoxSoccer: Jurgen Klinsmann's time is done: U.S. Soccer has to fire the USMNT manager
- Galarcep: Shellacked in San Jose: Why Jurgen Klinsmann's job should be in jeopardy
- Sciaretta: As Winter Sets in, All Eyes Turn Toward Sunil Gulati

Addressing a few points that have come up here...

- It takes nothing away from Costa Rica's dominance in this fixture to say that 4-0 was a historically bad result that shouldn't have happened. I understand that the US has been beaten (and sometimes badly) down in Costa Rica over the years, but the USMNT hasn't been down 4-0 in a WCQ since 1980. That, coupled with the nature of the utter capitulation, is something that shouldn't happen. Full credit to Costa Rica for dominating at home again and congrats on the win, but this was a few levels worse than the previous US losses there.

- Bruce Arena makes sense for a number of reasons. If they make a move, it's a short transition into two critical games, so I'm not sure they have time to bring a foreign coach up to speed. He's obviously familiar with the process and the player pool. He's also out of contract with the Galaxy in a few weeks/months. I think it'd be great to find an exciting, forward-looking coach at some point, but right now the main goal is salvaging the cycle by qualifying for the next World Cup. Arena gives them a shot at doing that.

- Regarding a number of players that have underperformed, Klinsmann's coaching and press conference demeanor has undoubtedly contributed to this. Take Brooks, for example: He's placed in a three-man backline for one of the first times in his career(?) during his first WCQ for the US. He makes an error at the end of the game (losing Marquez) which leads to the game winning goal. Klinsmann then throws him under the bus and directly blames him during the post game press conference for the error. Klinsmann brings it up AGAIN in the press conference before the Costa Rica game and says that Brooks has apologized to the team for screwing up. Then Brooks goes out and lays an egg against Costa Rica. How about Klinsmann takes some responsibility and also keeps some of this in-house? I don't see how going after a young player like Brooks in press conferences helped things. Yes, he's an adult and should go out of his comfort zone, blah blah blah, but just try and manage the team with a little more savvy next time.

Thanks for all of the links you provide. I don't follow enough soccer people on Twitter and miss a lot of stuff.

Regarding JK. He should have been gone before now imo. He's always thrown players under the bus instead of taking credit and the players have gotten sick and tired of it. It didn't help that Brooks played his worst game in a USA shirt but I don't think any of them did even decent minus maybe Besler.

Of the guys on this roster, how many should actually be there moving forward? Pulisic and Wood are obvious. So are Altidore and Brooks. After that? Bradley will be by default but he's been the worst starter for the US since the World Cup and his spot has never been in trouble.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks for all of the links you provide. I don't follow enough soccer people on Twitter and miss a lot of stuff.

Regarding JK. He should have been gone before now imo. He's always thrown players under the bus instead of taking credit and the players have gotten sick and tired of it. It didn't help that Brooks played his worst game in a USA shirt but I don't think any of them did even decent minus maybe Besler.

Of the guys on this roster, how many should actually be there moving forward? Pulisic and Wood are obvious. So are Altidore and Brooks. After that? Bradley will be by default but he's been the worst starter for the US since the World Cup and his spot has never been in trouble.

If Bradley is deployed as a straight #6 he'll be fine (he's been doing really well for Toronto in that roll), especially if we put someone like Sacha above him. Jones and Bradley just make each other worse since Jones just runs around everywhere and Bradley's stuck covering for him.

Yedlin is a keeper, odds are him being on the bench was more political than anything else. Keep Sacha since we need a 10 and he's by far our best option in that role. If Guzan isn't getting minutes we should find a new #2 goalkeeper.

Honestly most of this roster, outside of Chandler and Jones, should be fine to stick around. Jones just aged out and Chandler just doesn't perform on the International stage. Everyone just needs to be played in their proper roll with a good gameplan.

Yeah correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever won in Costa Rica in World Cup Qualifying. In fact, we pretty much always struggle playing in Central America. It seems like Caribbean is the only place in CONCACAF where we can get a regular road win.

Having said that, it truly was an embarrassing display. Especially the 4th goal, in that sequence we looked like a 3rd division college team. Brooks completely miss hitting the ball, followed by Chandler making a horrendous pass to the other team. It was amateur hour. Costa Rica barely had to try for their 3rd and 4th goals.

I'm a LA Galaxy guy, so while I like Bruce Arena, I'm not sure if he's the best fit for taking the USMNT to the next level. Arena can get results but sometimes at the expense of playing uninspiring soccer. He's also the type of coach who heavily leans on old veterans (*cough*Donavon#26*cough) instead of giving youth a chance. I didn't understand why Bruce Arena didn't give young players like Ari Lassiter and Bradford Jameison IV a chance when the Galaxy got hit with a slew of injuries to the forwards. But that's my Galaxy rant..

Clearly our youth is the future for the USMNT, they just need to be given the proper experience and guidance. And we need a coach who will encourage creative players instead of just relying on "work-horses". It seems guys like Nygen and Nagbe can never get any real traction on the National Team and that's a problem. We need to build a core midfield that is creative and technically sound, so we can actually maintain possession and composure against high-level competition.

Personally I'd like for us to spend big bucks to get a proven La Liga or EPL coach. And don't give him the entire keys to the house. Give him a 2 year contract and nice chair on the lawn. If he gets results and actually shows positive progress, then they can expand his role. Sure it would be nice to have an American coach, but to be brutally honest, we don't have a enough quality coaches to take us to the next level. Bob Bradley is our most accomplished coach and I don't think he's even recorded a win yet at Swansea City, so I imagine his stay will be brief.

Bingo! Last thing I want to see are Bradley and Jones in the midfield two years from now.

- ESPNFC: U.S. Soccer has weighed replacements for Jurgen Klinsmann for year - sources
U.S. Soccer has been in contact with LA Galaxy boss Bruce Arena and Sporting Kansas City counterpart Peter Vermes within the past 12 months, the sources said. The federation declined to comment on Thursday.

After Tuesday's World Cup qualifier, the Washington Post reported that the USSF has been lining up Arena to replace Klinsmann.

Arena's contract with the Galaxy was set to expire next month, but the 65-year-old recently signed a two-year extension with the MLS club, multiple sources said. However, the new deal would allow Arena -- who coached the U.S. at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups -- to leave if he were offered the national team job.

Tab Ramos, Klinsmann's current assistant, could also be a candidate for the position if the manager is let go, one source said.
In an interview with Fox's Alexi Lalas in April of this year, Arena said he would consider coming back "under the right circumstances."

"I am not auditioning for the national team job, I'm not publicly advocating that Jurgen be relieved of his duties as the national team coach," he said. "If I was asked to become the national team coach again, I would certainly be interested in doing that."
Klinsmann's at a state dinner in Germany today, so if he were to meet with Gulati, it wouldn't be for another day or two.

gutshot

Man, I was hoping this update was that he was officially fired. Sounds like it could be happening soon, but let's get it over with already.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man, I was hoping this update was that he was officially fired. Sounds like it could be happening soon, but let's get it over with already.

Same, I keep checking news sites to see if he's finally been sacked, but it looks like everyone was right and any decision won't be made until tomorrow. :(

Cystm

Minnesota United FC to hire Adrian Heath as head coach

Ives Galarcep reported on Wednesday night that Minnesota waited until the NASL season ended this weekend in order to interview New York Cosmos head coach Giovanni Savarese before deciding to hire Heath. Savarese led the Cosmos to their third NASL title in four years on Sunday.

Minnesota have yet to formally announce any coaching hire, but did reveal on Wednesday that they’ve brought on former D.C. United assistant coach Amos Magee as the club’s first director of player personnel.

Cystm

Robbie Keane to depart from LA Galaxy at end of year

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Thursday Nov. 17, 2016) – The LA Galaxy announced today that forward Robbie Keane will depart from the club following the expiration of his contract at the end of the year. Keane departs after leading the LA Galaxy to three MLS Cup victories while recording 92 goals, 51 assists, 26 game-winning goals, 18 game-winning assists, 21 multi-goal games and four hat tricks in Major League Soccer during his six seasons with the club.

Realeza

Banned
Man that USMNT defense looked like garbage on the Costa Rica game. Why the fuck they never call Chad Marshall to the national team? Guy is one of the best defenders in MLS.

Cystm

Man, 6 years? It felt like half of that. But next year we'll have had Giovinco for 3 years, so I guess not.

He'll still shred if he can stay healthy, but he's not exactly peak anymore. Watch the Fire pick him and Schweinsteiger up and make a cup run. #MLSRetirementLeague

Paging Esch:

St. Louis ownership group announces sweeping plans for MLS expansion bid

A Missouri-based ownership group announced on Thursday a sweeping plan to pursue an MLS expansion team for St. Louis – and a new downtown, soccer-specific stadium for the club to call home.

Known as SC STL, the group will fund much of the construction of the stadium project, which is estimated to cost just under $200 million. SC STL will also fund the entire MLS expansion fee as established by the league as well as the acquisition of the Saint Louis FC USL team, the famed St. Louis Scott Gallagher youth club and World Wide Technology Soccer Park to create a holistic soccer organization and build a developmental pipeline of homegrown soccer talent from the youth to professional ranks.

Top Bottom