• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

I'm a Pulisic fanboy, but definitely a good learning experience for him. I probably would have taken him out a little bit sooner when Jozy came in. The international game has a different atmosphere and intensity compared to club. Pulisic's raw ability will enable him to easily feast upon the CONCACAF minnows. But it's just a different level when you're playing against quality opposition who themselves are playing with national pride on the line, especially in a hostile environment. Also Pulisic isn't surrounded by players of the quality of BVB, on the national team he's surrounded by players who are mostly 2nd division calibur or bottom table 1st division.

As Pulisic gets older he'll need to learn to strike the perfect combination of making his teammates better and putting the team on his shoulder's when needed while avoiding trying to do too much. It's not easy. It's why there are a ton of quality club players who simply can't translate their success to the international game and vice versa. The international game is about rising up to the moment in just a span of a couple of weeks. Club is more about consistency and focus over a 9-10 month season.

Landon Donovan was a guy who could rise up to the moment. He's the one you wanted on your team against Mexico when the game is tied 1-1 in the 80th minute. Yet Donovan struggled with consistency and focus at the club first division level, which is why he's more of a American folk-hero rather than an international star.(especially now that club success tends to define a player's legacy moreso than it used to).

Anyway good result for the US. We got 4 points out of these two games, which is exactly what we needed. Looks like Bruce Arena is on track to salvage this qualifying run. Also when Bruce Arena makes a "gut" decision which I may disagree with (like sitting Tim Howard out this game), I at least understand the logic behind it. Klinsi operated in his own reality.

It was also nice to see Beasley be effective. The goal wasn't his fault, he did his job but got no help. Guzan also got caught ball watching a bit as well. He should have been more ready for a snap shot like that, especially coming off a counter-attack like that.

NoRéN

I'm a Pulisic fanboy, but definitely a good learning experience for him. I probably would have taken him out a little bit sooner when Jozy came in. The international game has a different atmosphere and intensity compared to club. Pulisic's raw ability will enable him to easily feast upon the CONCACAF minnows. But it's just a different level when you're playing against quality opposition who themselves are playing with national pride on the line, especially in a hostile environment. Also Pulisic isn't surrounded by players of the quality of BVB, on the national team he's surrounded by players who are mostly 2nd division calibur or bottom table 1st division.

As Pulisic gets older he'll need to learn to strike the perfect combination of making his teammates better and putting the team on his shoulder's when needed while avoiding trying to do too much. It's not easy. It's why there are a ton of quality club players who simply can't translate their success to the international game and vice versa. The international game is about rising up to the moment in just a span of a couple of weeks. Club is more about consistency and focus over a 9-10 month season.

Landon Donovan was a guy who could rise up to the moment. He's the one you wanted on your team against Mexico when the game is tied 1-1 in the 80th minute. Yet Donovan struggled with consistency and focus at the club first division level, which is why he's more of a American folk-hero rather than an international star.(especially now that club success tends to define a player's legacy moreso than it used to).

Anyway good result for the US. We got 4 points out of these two games, which is exactly what we needed. Looks like Bruce Arena is on track to salvage this qualifying run. Also when Bruce Arena makes a "gut" decision which I may disagree with (like sitting Tim Howard out this game), I at least understand the logic behind it. Klinsi operated in his own reality.

It was also nice to see Beasley be effective. The goal wasn't his fault, he did his job but got no help. Guzan also got caught ball watching a bit as well. He should have been more ready for a snap shot like that, especially coming off a counter-attack like that.
Solid points.

I'm not on the Pulisic hype train but only because I've seen it way too many times with hyped up players fading into mediocrity. (Hey, remember Julian Green!)
But, after that cocky talk after the T&T game this was a big misstep for him and I'm glad. I hope this humbles him and he learns from it. He has the potential to be that key player and fill that void left by Landon Donovan. We need a player that others do not want to see with the ball and more importantly the player Mexico hates.

Beasley is still going after all this time. It's amazing. Puebla really revitalized that dude. That goal, he did what he had to do. It the rest of the players around him that failed him.

Icolin

Banned
It's almost as if Michael Bradley is a good player who was struggling for the USMNT because we had a coach who had no tactical identity and didn't prepare the team at all for anything.

Hey, his yoga sessions and habit of starting tactical preparation the day before before or day of gameday was great!

NoRéN;240225200 said:
Solid points.

I'm not on the Pulisic hype train but only because I've seen it way too many times with hyped up players fading into mediocrity. (Hey, remember Julian Green!)

Beasley is still going after all this time. It's amazing. Puebla really revitalized that dude. That goal, he did what he had to do. It the rest of the players around him that failed him.

Agreed. Though Julian Green basically just had one amazing goal in the World Cup and hasn't really done much else since. He's struggled to make much headway at the club level, which has hurt his national team appearances. A year ago it was fair to lump Pulisic with all the other young prospects such as Julian Green, Freddie Adu, and etc. But after the past year where he actually broke into the starting lineup at times with BVB and played in several champions league matches, he's proven to be legit and no longer a hazy prospect of untapped potential. Heck, at 18 years old Pulisic is currently playing at the highest club level of any American.

That said, guys like Jozy Altidore and Eddie Johnson also had strong starts early in their careers and then hit stumbling blocks. So yes it's way too early to anoint Pulisic as the next greatest. But he definitely has the potential to be a world class player that other countries churn out every couple of years.

As for Michael Bradley... i'm still a hater. One solid game doesn't erase nearly 4 years of mediocrity. Let's see how well Michael Bradley finishes the remaining qualifying run. Last night's formation clogged the midfield, which worked to Bradley's benefit, but our forwards were disconnected which is why our offense was so disjointed. It was a good gameplan for playing against Mexico, but I still have my doubt if Michael Bradley can keep pace when we play a more open attacking game. Bradley also seems to trip over his feet or make errant passes when the pace of the game gets too fast for him.

NoRéN

It's almost as if Michael Bradley is a good player who was struggling for the USMNT because we had a coach who had no tactical identity and didn't prepare the team at all for anything.
i hope that's the case. It would be another solid example of how much harm klinnsman did.

Agreed. Though Julian Green basically just had one amazing goal in the World Cup and hasn't really done much else since. He's struggled to make much headway at the club level, which has hurt his national team appearances. A year ago it was fair to lump Pulisic with all the other young prospects such as Julian Green, Freddie Adu, and etc. But after the past year where he actually broke into the starting lineup at times with BVB and played in several champions league matches, he's proven to be legit and no longer a hazy prospect of untapped potential. Heck, at 18 years old Pulisic is currently playing at the highest club level of any American.

That said, guys like Jozy Altidore and Eddie Johnson also had strong starts early in their careers and then hit stumbling blocks. So yes it's way too early to anoint Pulisic as the next greatest. But he definitely has the potential to be a world class player that other countries churn out every couple of years.

As for Michael Bradley... i'm still a hater. One solid game doesn't erase nearly 4 years of mediocrity. Let's see how well Michael Bradley finishes the remaining qualifying run. Last night's formation clogged the midfield, which worked to Bradley's benefit, but our forwards were disconnected which is why our offense was so disjointed. It was a good gameplan for playing against Mexico, but I still have my doubt if Michael Bradley can keep pace when we play a more open attacking game. Bradley also seems to trip over his feet or make errant passes when the pace of the game gets too fast for him.
True. Bradley tends to have good moments here and there. I hope he continues his form because it's desperately needed.

Ferd2

Neo Member

I agree with your conclusion but I'm a bit more enthusiastic. Pulisic has literally been a game changer at certain times at Dortmund. His goal against Benfica in the CL is possibly the biggest goal in years by an American player in club play for a European team. He also figures as more of a Sigurdsson-type for Dortmund right now while feeding Aubayameng (8 assists between Bundesliga and CL-play) and I have seen games where he's subbed in the second half and completely changed the game, specifically tempo-wise. But he's still only 18 and I think the grind of the Mexico game was not to his advantage. If you don't watch him play often, you'd think he was overrated - but he's just getting better and rarely makes a mistake even if he is doing the things that aren't in the highlight reels. So, I am on the hype train, it's just the hype isn't completely there yet.

hom3land

Just turned on the game .. go Christos! Assuming this is dc United's b team?

Looking forward to going to the Carolina vs Dynamo game tomorrow.. love this time of the year!

gutshot

Looking good.

fAcagv6l.png

Looking good.

fAcagv6l.png
Important to note that while the US is on track now, a subpar result makes things pretty dicey on the run in. Expectations are that the US 'holds serve', so to speak, and gets the home wins and away draws that they need. A single loss drops the odds significantly. Still work to do, but the US is obviously in much, much better position than last Fall.

Askani

Greenspan hurt in a collision with Espinoza in the air. Being strapped to the backboard at carted out. Not good, hoping it's all precautionary.

Cystm

Greenspan hurt in a collision with Espinoza in the air. Being strapped to the backboard at carted out. Not good, hoping it's all precautionary.

Terrible sight. Wish him the best.

Tulsa conceded a stoppage time own goal to lose to FCD.

Heartbreaking.

USOC draw:
The draw for the 2017 US Open Cup Round of 16 was conducted live on Facebook on Thursday morning.

The 13 MLS sides were joined by three lower-division sides in the Round of 16 draw, including a pair of MLS expansion hopefuls FC Cincinnati – who drew a record 30,000 fans to their upset of Columbus Crew SC – and Sacramento Republic FC, who advanced with an emphatic 4-1 win over Real Salt Lake.

Round of 16 matches will be played on June 27 and June 28, while the quarterfinals are set for July 11. A separate draw will take place the day after the quarterfinals to determine the hosting rights for the semifinals and priority for hosting the US Open Cup final.

Below are the results of the Round of 16 draw with the clubs grouped by region for purposes of the bracket (home teams listed first):

EAST REGION

New England Revolution vs. D.C. United
New York Red Bulls vs. Philadelphia Union

CENTRAL REGION

Houston Dynamo vs. Sporting Kansas City
FC Dallas vs. Colorado Rapids

SOUTH REGION

Miami FC vs. Atlanta United FC
FC Cincinnati vs. Chicago Fire

WEST REGION

San Jose Earthquakes vs. Seattle Sounders
LA Galaxy vs. Sacramento Republic

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
If I owned a professional sports team I would pay someone to make sure the players get home safely after a night out. The players clearly can't use common sense.

Top Bottom