• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Osorio

Again, does nobody see the problem here? Red Bull is not a bad mascot. However, it's the logo of an energy drink, racing car teams, five fucking club teams. It has nothing to do with New York or New Jersey unlike the examples used for corporate ownership like PSV, or Bayer Leverkusen. Gtfo with that shit. I'd rather be the NJ Toll Trolls than be Red Bull #3 in the pecking order.

xbhaskarx

without having to rebrand their teams as ... the NY City Sheiks.

...marginalizing the identity of the club, and cheapen it by spreading that net worth over FIVE clubs...

To end the debate I just want your opinion. Would you rather be 2nd in the West as Red Bull San Jose? Or the position you're in now?

Sheiks isn't the brand though, the brand is City (as in City Football Group), and they did brand the team as that, and even changed Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City FC. So their branding is "spread out" over at least three teams branded City, with light blue colors, etc.

If it wasn't a one year blip but the average finishing position, I'd much rather be second in the west as San Jose Red Bulls. I've watched enough crappy soccer over the last few years. Hell I'd prefer the Red Bull crest to the one we have now, which is horrifying from a design perspective...

As far as corporate names go, Red Bull works surprisingly well for the name of a sports team, where you find plenty of animals and colors. Plus the other NY teams wear blue and green, so red is a natural fit. As I've said before, "bull" actually makes more sense for a NY team (because of Wall Street) than it does for a team in Chicago (cattle drives to the Chicago stockyards over a century ago?)...

I would be more sympathetic if they were New York Monster Energy Drink FC.

Would you rather regularly finish 9th out of 10 teams in the east as the New York MetroStars?

Osorio

Would you rather regularly finish 9th out of 10 teams in the east as the New York MetroStars?

Yes I would. At least I could tell people what team I support without being embarrassed or wear the jersey on the street without the crest burning a hole in my chest. I could wear my team's jersey on vacation without ridicule.

I only care so much about winning at the moment because if we're gonna be the corporate whores of MLS we might as well win.

Osorio

Is New York MetroStars really that different? The teams original owner was Stuart Subotnick, who is the President and CEO of Metromedia Company... maybe that's just a coincidence, I don't know...

Did they put Metromedia as a sponsor on the shirts? Did they change all the advertising boards to Metromedia ads? Change Giants Stadium to Metromedia Stadium on game days? Does Metromedia have another club team in South Africa who they bought out and erased their history? No? Alright so it's nowhere near the same.

Red Bull apologists are insane. Why don't you guys just petition your team to be bought out then? I'm sure Red Bull would love to have 19 more teams in America and change it to Red Bull Soccer League.

Wtf man. Your team has the same jersey as five other clubs and people think you work for the company when you wear the jersey on the street.

Having the same jersey as other teams isnt an issue, its part of the game.

I mean, FC...club...sports club...

Barcelona_1_Alcaine_b.jpg

1002526_718012108290109_4092853519423243711_n.v1416825529.jpg

pic_2014-09-18_MAKING_OFF_FOTOS_BASQUET_006.v1411052211.JPG

2012-11-24_FCB_INTERSPORT_-_PICK_SZEGED_032.v1356611812.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Theres more...

Those are of the same club dude. Are you trolling?

Huh? You know what you said right?

Wtf man. Your team has the same jersey as five other clubs and people think you work for the company when you wear the jersey on the street.

However, it's the logo of an energy drink, racing car teams, five fucking club teams.

There are literally more Barcelona branded teams than Red Bull branded teams.

pic_2014-09-27_FCB_HOQUEI_-_ANOIA_003.v1411822963.JPG

So embarrassing!

Osorio

There are literally more Barcelona branded teams than Red Bull branded teams.

Dude Barcelona has been more than a futbol team for decades if not a century.

Red Bull merely takes over clubs who had different identities across the world.

Thus, people from: Salzburg, New York, Ghana, Leipzig, and Brazil are all connected by having their clubs rebranded by a corporate entity without their permission.

Barcelona's other club teams all represent Barcelona.

Again, I think you're trolling.

Osorio

If you brought up this:

1249175555.jpg

Maybe I'd see your point. But Barcelona de Guayaquil was founded as such. It's not like Barcelona FC came in and made an Ecuadorian team change their crest to that to expand their brand.

Osorio

Also, how could you think I was talking about different sports teams of the same club? That's awesome because at least the same CLUB is spread across different sports.

10703642_10152328283166127_5306151149047875697_n.jpg

Why should I cheer on Red Bull when it has nothing to do with me other than rebranding the team I loved since I was six?

Dude Barcelona has been more than a futbol team for decades if not a century.

Red Bull merely takes over clubs who had different identities across the world.

Thus, people from: Salzburg, New York, Ghana, Leipzig, and Brazil are all connected by having their clubs rebranded by a corporate entity without their permission.

Barcelona's other club teams all represent Barcelona.

Again, I think you're trolling.

You are upset that the teams are "all connected by having their clubs rebranded by a corporate entity without their permission."

xbhaskarx pointed out that the CITY brand is doing the exact same thing.

You are upset that multiple teams share a jersey. I pointed out how thats a normal, long-standing tradition.

It seems the only resolution to your concern is that the team should have been founded 100 years ago.

The fact is, theres no such thing as an organic team anymore. Theyre all giant corporations or soulless billionaires.

Im sorry, but what you want is not obtainable anymore, especially in a country that doesnt allow for promotion and relegation.

I also suggest you stay away from any news on the Japanese soccer league.

Teams have included:
Mitsubishi Motors
Mazda SC
Nissan Motors
Hitachi SC
Yamaha Motors
Nippon Steel Yawata
NKK SC

And stay far away from the Korean league as well, lest Ulsan Hyundai, Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors, and Hanil Bank FC give you a heart attack...

Red Bulls looks pretty good in comparison id say!

New York/New Jersey Metrostars is a horrendous name which would be embarrassing as fuck to wear

Osorio

I wear my Metrostars jersey all the time. Only get compliments for it.

Sorry buddy but the dream is not over. As soon as Red Bull sells we will be Whatever FC, but it definitely won't be Red Bull and nobody will shed a tear over its name.

Asian teams have corporate names because that's the tradition in Asia. So please spare me with that logic.

So if Club America was changed to Red Bull Mexico City, those people should just shut up and accept it? Aight. Hahaha

Osorio

Also, if the Red Bull name wasn't so embarrassing Etihad would not get away with their branding disaster in NYCFC.

Luckily they only had to compete with a corporate shell of a team who plays in New Jersey.

Also, the Melbourne Heart fans had huge problems with being changed to Melbourne City too. In fact, the FFA demanded that they stray away from using a sky blue jersey and they had to make the away jersey the same colors as the Melbourne Heart. So I think Melbourne Heart is a shit name too but those fans complained anyway...wonder why?

I wear my Metrostars jersey all the time. Only get compliments for it.

Sorry buddy but the dream is not over. As soon as Red Bull sells we will be Whatever FC, but it definitely won't be Red Bull and nobody will shed a tear over its name.

Asian teams have corporate names because that's the tradition in Asia. So please spare me with that logic.

So if Club America was changed to Red Bull Mexico City, those people should just shut up and accept it? Aight. Hahaha

Oh please. Club America has been around 100 years. The Metrostars were around a whopping 10 before the change, and had a grand total of 27 fans. Dont pretend it's the same.

Further, US teams rebrand all the time, thats not an issue anywhere else on earth. How many names has the Baltimore NFL team had?

Osorio

Oh please. Club America has been around 100 years. The Metrostars were around a whopping 10 before the change, and had a grand total of 27 fans. Dont pretend it's the same.

Further, US teams rebrand all the time, thats not an issue anywhere else on earth. How many names has the Baltimore NFL team had?

And SV Austria Salzburg was around since 1933 yet Red Bull didn't care.

Thus, their fans broke off and made their own club which is now fan-owned and in the second Bundesliga.

Come on son. Don't act like you wouldn't be mad if Red Bull bought out your favorite team tomorrow.

Osorio

I've never met anyone in my life that said, "Dude that's awesome that your team got bought out by Red Bull. I wish that happened to my team!"

That's why I think you guys are trolling.

Please tell me you're trolling.

And SV Austria Salzburg was around since 1933 yet Red Bull didn't care.

Thus, their fans broke off and made their own club which is now fan-owned and in the second Bundesliga.

Come on son. Don't act like you wouldn't be mad if Red Bull bought out your favorite team tomorrow.

We're not talking about Salzburg. Yup, that was a shit move and I wouldnt support it.

We're talking about NJ, home to a shit team with no fans, a garbage stadium and a pitiful record. Red Bull saved the day by making the team relevant.

I used to be a Revs fans. I would have been ecstatic if Red Bull bought the team and built a stadium in Boston. Instead the teams wastes away in some swamp nobody can get to.

xbhaskarx

I've never met anyone in my life that said, "Dude that's awesome that your team got bought out by Red Bull. I wish that happened to my team!"

That's why I think you guys are trolling.

Please tell me you're trolling.

There's a difference between being happy about it and accepting it.
There are far worse problems than being owned by Red Bull. At least you guys have had a decent team for the most part over the last few years. The last time you guys were bad was 2009, in MLS terms that's ancient history. This is the MLS equivalent of "first world problems"...

Osorio

We're not talking about Salzburg. Yup, that was a shit move and I wouldnt support it.

We're talking about NJ, home to a shit team with no fans, a garbage stadium and a pitiful record. Red Bull saved the day by making the team relevant.

I used to be a Revs fans. I would have been ecstatic if Red Bull bought the team and built a stadium in Boston. Instead the teams wastes away in some swamp nobody can get to.

Jamesinclair? Is that you?

Osorio

There's a difference between being happy about it and accepting it.
There are far worse problems than being owned by Red Bull. At least you guys have had a decent team for the most part over the last few years. The last time you guys were bad was 2009, in MLS terms that's ancient history. This is the MLS equivalent of "first world problems"...

Then what are MLS third world problems?

Only time we were bad as the Metrostars was 1999. It's been pretty much the same under either tenure. Pretty much the same playoff failures, Open Cup failures, crazy coaching turnover, great academy (which started under the Metrostars). The stadium in Harrison was going to be built even if we weren't rebranded. Not as nice, but that's a trade I'd made in a heartbeat.

xbhaskarx

Hahaha only one of those teams has less trophies than we do.

Sure.

It's not all about trophies. Personally, I'd rather watch a team that was consistently decent than one that sucked for the most part but somehow managed to win once in a while. Would you rather have been following the Florida Marlins during the 90s and 2000s or the Atlanta Braves? At least San Jose was good in 2012, Colorado in 2010 wasn't even that, but both were flukes for different reasons.

I mean, youve got to admit its better than Chivas USA...

Good point, my Philly / Chicago / SJ / Colorado example is really second world MLS problems. Third world MLS problems would be Chivas / Miami / Tampa Bay (contraction) or the original SJ (relocation)...

It's not all about trophies. Personally, I'd rather watch a team that was consistently decent than one that sucked for the most part but somehow managed to win once in a while. Would you rather have been following the Florida Marlins during the 90s and 2000s or the Atlanta Braves? At least San Jose was good in 2012, that 2010 Colorado team wasn't even that, but both were flukes for different reasons.

This is where I stand.

I dont own any MLS merchandise actually. But once in awhile I like going to an entertaining game. Ive seen half the league play at this point by hitting up groupon offers every once in awhile

Osorio

It's not all about trophies. Personally, I'd rather watch a team that was consistently decent than one that sucked for the most part but somehow managed to win once in a while. Would you rather have been following the Florida Marlins during the 90s and 2000s or the Atlanta Braves? At least San Jose was good in 2012, that 2010 Colorado team wasn't even that, but both were flukes for different reasons.

So since it's not about trophies, what is it about?

Identity maybe? Pride in your city?

Red Bull has pretty much given us neither!

You do realize the Red Bull era has been pretty much high salary, low results right? I'm not sure why you make it seem like we're a relevant or successful team.

Of course, our only significant trophy was won at the helm of METRO legend Mike Petke. First coach to give a shit about the club and the fans.

Osorio

This is where I stand.

I dont own any MLS merchandise actually. But once in awhile I like going to an entertaining game. Ive seen half the league play at this point by hitting up groupon offers every once in awhile

So we're not in the same boat at all.

I went to the first Metro game in person, followed them religiously with my family my whole life. Season ticket holder for most years since 2002.

Why do you guys think I stay? Because I love frustration? I go to section 101 and like three dozen heads say hello to me even if I don't go to the stadium often anymore. That's why club identity is important to me. Without ESC and its masochistic supporters from 96 onward, RBNY would be nothing. We bring legitimacy to a corporate shell of a team. Why do you guys think that Town Hall meeting was such a big deal? Why is Metrofanatic still around?

METRO

Osorio

I mean the team has higher attendance today than before the rebrand..it clearly didn't hurt

The league is miles better. The atmosphere is much better in that stadium. Greater overall interest in soccer since 2005. Especially in domestic soccer.

More interesting, why did NYCFC overtake us in fans with their terrible branding even with our 20 year headstart?

Do you think they'd have the same amount of fans as NY Etihad Airways?

The league is miles better. The atmosphere is much better in that stadium. Greater overall interest in soccer since 2005. Especially in domestic soccer.

More interesting, why did NYCFC overtake us in fans with their terrible branding even with our 20 year headstart?

Do you think they'd have the same amount of fans as NY Etihad Airways?

Eh it's a first year team. Let's check how they're doing in five years

They also have the advantage of location. Most new Yorkers couldn't even find Jersey on a map

Osorio

Eh it's a first year team. Let's check how they're doing in five years

They also have the advantage of location. Most new Yorkers couldn't even find Jersey on a map

I'll bet it won't change until NYC has to groundshare with us after they can't build a stadium in the city.

Maybe if Philly had built in Camden the story would be different...

Funnily enough if the Union had a stadium in camden it would've been closer to the city (<2 miles from Center City), easier to get to, and accessible by public transport and still be in the shadow of a bridge. But they would've been in new jersey so...

Osorio

Funnily enough if the Union had a stadium in camden it would've been closer to the city (<2 miles from Center City), easier to get to, and accessible by public transport. But they would've been in new jersey so...

So you guys would lose like half your chants against us.

That always made me laugh. As if Chester is paradise...

I'll bet it won't change until NYC has to groundshare with us after they can't build a stadium in the city.

Absolutely. Once they get stuck like the revolution their fans will leave.

Funnily enough if the Union had a stadium in camden it would've been closer to the city (<2 miles from Center City), easier to get to, and accessible by public transport and still be in the shadow of a bridge. But they would've been in new jersey so...

Camden would have been great. Super easy access. Two teams in new Jersey even better

Chester was an idiotic choice

I don't care that they're named after an energy drink. However, since I started following them (and soccer in general) for about three years now, being named after the energy drink is all I've known. I feel, I guess, somewhat disappointed seeing the Red Bull logo slapped everywhere. Doesn't make me like the team any less. It's just weird in comparison to other teams.

So you guys would lose like half your chants against us.

That always made me laugh. As if Chester is paradise...

Yeah I know. but at least we're in the same state ;)

but it's what we have to deal with being in chester.

Camden would have been great. Super easy access. Two teams in new Jersey even better

Chester was an idiotic choice

It was a terrible choice but the ownership wanted public money so... There were supposed to be shops and stuff built around the stadium. And look what happened.

The real disappointment is apparently this area was a apparently a planned site but turned down due to not getting enough public money..

xbhaskarx

You do realize the Red Bull era has been pretty much high salary, low results right? I'm not sure why you make it seem like we're a relevant or successful team.

Well since we've been comparing our two teams, here's how they have done over the last eight years:
NYRB: 2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 1, 7 (last), 5
SJE: 9, 9 (last), 6, 1, 7, 6, 8 (last), 7 (last)

Our second best finish is below your second worst finish.

Objectively I'd say we were relevant/successful in 2/8 seasons (SS and finishing 6th but then beating you in the 2010 playoffs), whereas you were relevant/successful in all but one or two seasons. If you only look at trophies, yes it's 1 to 1, but I don't think that tells the full story.

Osorio

Well since we've been comparing our two teams, here's how they have done over the last eight years:
NYRB: 2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 1, 7 (last), 5
SJE: 9, 9 (last), 6, 1, 7, 6, 8 (last), 7 (last)

Our second best finish is below your second worst finish.

Objectively I'd say we were relevant/successful in 2/8 seasons (SS and finishing 6th but then beating you in the 2010 playoffs), whereas you were relevant/successful in all but one or two seasons. If you only look at trophies, yes it's 1 to 1, but I don't think that tells the full story.

And our payroll was probably significantly higher than yours all those years. So you got more for your money!

But by all means, start the petition to become Red Bull San Jose. Sounds like you'd have a blast.

Also, you guys had to go through expansion woes. We did not, we just went through a rebrand.

Jonathan Tannenwald
&#8207;@thegoalkeeper Jonathan Tannenwald retweeted Gibrán Araige
Univision reporter in Mexico City saying Javier Hernandez has an offer of $10 million per year on the table from MLS

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/629067389905338368

Jonathan Tannenwald &#8207;@thegoalkeeper 18m18 minutes ago
Jonathan Tannenwald retweeted Raul Guzman
And that's a second prominent Univision voice saying Chicago is the team in question. Wow.

¡¡¡ Bombazo del @ChicagoFire !!! 10 kilos de verdes al año. No podría creer que Chícharo no acepte

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah I know. but at least we're in the same state ;)

but it's what we have to deal with being in chester.

It was a terrible choice but the ownership wanted public money so... There were supposed to be shops and stuff built around the stadium. And look what happened.

The real disappointment is apparently this area was a apparently a planned site but turned down due to not getting enough public money..

There's no empty lot there...

Osorio

But how did they make that offer without becoming Red Bull Chicago?

I'm done! I swear.

Welcome to the third world Chicharito!

Top Bottom