• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

Crazy day for MLS. 39 goals today total. The most in one day in it's history.

And Sebastian
too
Lletget
to quit
scored again tonight. 6 goals in 8 games. My fantasy team thanks you for your 6mil cost.

Cystm

Wondo catching the Portland back line sleeping and right on cue proceeds to choke on a gimmie. Boring game so far.

Some news:

- From the NYCFC match yesterday:
TqV3nMD.jpg
Glorious.

Scoring an own goal and failing hard on a clearance that gave up another goal.

So glad we had that in the Gold Cup over _________.

#JurgenKlinsmann #LandonDonovan #xbhaskarx

Osorio

I'm regretting having a Timbers keeper on my fantasy team.

It's scoreless at the moment, but I'm feeling a rout coming on. Hope I'm wrong.

Cystm

cf97 getting lucky with a penalty call after getting that stupid red. We've actually played pretty great against a good Dallas team and had a nice goal from Accam. I'll take the 3 points.
Please get out of last place.

http://gfycat.com/SharpAbsoluteIcelandicsheepdog

Werder Bremen in talks to sign Aron Johansson

I am for it. If MLS is not looking to pay for his requested wages then I would like to see him thrive in the Bundesliga.

Dartastic

I'm regretting having a Timbers keeper on my fantasy team.

It's scoreless at the moment, but I'm feeling a rout coming on. Hope I'm wrong.
I told you not to feel bad about him on your team.

The Timbers midfield is not looking great right now. Valeri is not anywhere near his old form. He needs to get his groove back. Soon.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw a commercial for some Travel Channel show with Kyle Martino as the host. I guess he's trying to expand beyond his NBC gig.

Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta 3h3 hours ago Bernardsville, NJ
AZ Alkmaar announce it has reached the outline of an agreement to sell Aron Johannnsson to Werder Bremen http://www.az.nl/nieuws/az-in-hoofdlijnen-akkoord-over-jhannsson/1?catid= …

Kevin Bacon deal is apparently agreed upon

Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta 8m8 minutes ago New Jersey, USA
Also this morning, Columbus Crew SC acquire forward Jack McInerney from Montreal for a 2016 MLS SuperDraft second round pick.

MLS trade!

Osorio

Between Drogba, Venegas, and Piatti, Montreal is becoming my second favorite team (to watch) in the league.

Still hope we crush them tomorrow night though.

Cystm

Bob Terwilliger targets American move, predicts massive future for MLS

Paris Saint-Germain centre-back David Luiz has revealed he could well join an MLS club before the end of his career after tipping America to be a leading division within five years.

"In five or six years, MLS will be one of the biggest leagues in the world," the 28-year-old told GQ Magazine. "Just look at the standard of players it's attracting. It will be the future of many of us.

"I believe that my career may very well go through the United States. It's fascinating how into football they are. We've seen the full stadiums in our friendly matches, it's madness."

That's a good move for Johannssen. Sounds like Bremen is light on strikers at the moment, so hopefully he'll get some PT from the start.

In other news, Interest heating up for U.S. U-20 standout Emerson Hyndman
Galarcep said:
Clubs from the top flights in England, Spain, Germany and the Netherlands have made inquiries about acquiring the 19-year-old midfielder, but no team has been able to meet Fulham’s asking price yet.

Last winter, Spanish clubs Almeria and Elche attempted to acquire Hyndman on loan, but were both turned down. Dutch club SC Cambuur also had a loan offer rejected. More recently, German side VfB Stuttgart has been among the teams to make an offer for Hyndman.

It remains unclear whether Fulham sees Hyndman as a starter in the upcoming season, or if the club is simply trying to bargain for a better sale price on a player who will be available on a free transfer next summer. As it stands, it is looking more and more like Hyndman won't be with Fulham for long. What remains to be seen is whether his departure takes place this summer or next summer.

Osorio

I have a shit load of channels but don't get Fox Soccer Plus smdh

Santos vs. W Connection on UDN doesn't interest me too much.

Fuck W Connection

Osorio

The new DC renderings make it look like a clone of Avaya except with a small fourth stand.

I'm quite annoyed by the recent trend to have suites be essentially field level. The people in those suites usually show the least interest in the game and make a poor impression for the cameras.

Osorio

Eh, still a far climb from being near the top of the salary chart, or close to the budget the team had a few years ago.

I like the signing. I think the team is prepared to do damage in the playoffs, but I wonder if their success is going to make any noise in the NY market. At a certain point Red Bull will have to realize that they only way they're going to be able to compete with NYCFC is a rebrand. The team has way too many identity issues for many fans in the area.

xbhaskarx

Eh, still a far climb from being near the top of the salary chart, or close to the budget the team had a few years ago.

They could have just held on to Tim Cahill and they would be near the top, if they valued "being near the top in salary" over actually "being a good soccer team"...

Osorio

They could have just held on to Tim Cahill and they would be near the top, if they valued "being near the top in salary" over actually "being a good soccer team"...

Are you saying they couldn't release Cahill and gotten someone better than Veron?

Shit, they could've easily splashed some cash at Cebolla Rodriguez who plays the same position.

Money spent doesn't necessarily mean quality, but it does show financial commitment. AGAIN, what should we expect from a company worth 7.2 billion dollars who came in and rebranded the club? If we were not an ad for an energy drink these moves would be amazing.

The new DC renderings make it look like a clone of Avaya except with a small fourth stand.

I'm quite annoyed by the recent trend to have suites be essentially field level. The people in those suites usually show the least interest in the game and make a poor impression for the cameras.

If they dont care about the game it makes sense to give them the worst seats.

Nothing like seeing the best seats in the house be empty and dark 90% of the time. Im looking at you Red Bull Arena

xbhaskarx

Are you saying they couldn't release Cahill and gotten someone better than Veron?

Money spent doesn't necessarily mean quality, but it does show financial commitment.

I'm asking you, would you be happy with their financial commitment if they had kept Cahill to boost their team salary numbers?

xbhaskarx

Well obviously, but teams can't play out the season and then make such decisions in hindsight, and the chances of a 35 year old bouncing back are not so great... add to that the locker room issues he was causing by being unhappy, and that he probably fits into Marsch's system even worse than Petke's.

Osorio

Well obviously, but teams can't play out the season and then make such decisions in hindsight, and the chances of a 35 year old bouncing back are not so great... add to that the locker room issues he was causing by being unhappy, and that he probably fits into Marsch's system even worse than Petke's.

Okay but my point is that, LA, Toronto, and NYC are going after players like Giovinco, Dos Santos, Gerrard, Pirlo, etc. So! They're going for big names, big talent, as entities with less money than Red Bull. Yet, they have the courtesy of doing so without having to rebrand their teams as the LA AEGs, the Toronto MLSEs, and the NY City Sheiks.

So not only does Red Bull not act like their net worth, but they do it while marginalizing the identity of the club, and cheapen it by spreading that net worth over FIVE clubs with identical crests and jerseys.

To end the debate I just want your opinion. Would you rather be 2nd in the West as Red Bull San Jose? Or the position you're in now?

Osorio

If they dont care about the game it makes sense to give them the worst seats.

Nothing like seeing the best seats in the house be empty and dark 90% of the time. Im looking at you Red Bull Arena

My conspiracy theory is that Red Bull buys out those seats themselves just so the red bull logo is visible for the cameras.

Houston has similar problems with their suites being empty and on camera side.

Yet, they have the courtesy of doing so without having to rebrand their teams as the LA AEGs, the Toronto MLSEs, and the NY City Sheiks.

So not only does Red Bull not act like their net worth, but they do it while marginalizing the identity of the club, and cheapen it by spreading that net worth over FIVE clubs with identical crests and jerseys.

You lost me here.

Red Bulls at least fits with the American Naming scheme. The Red Sox. The Chicago Bulls.

Significantly better than the disgusting Atlanta United FC.

And really, NYCFC? Youve uh, seen their jerseys right? There is a reason theyre referred to as Junior City. Their whole brand is a joke.

And last I checked, Toronto had a giant Maple Leaf visible in their seats, courtesy of their Maple Leaf owners.

Osorio

You lost me here.

Red Bulls at least fits with the American Naming scheme. The Red Sox. The Chicago Bulls.

Significantly better than the disgusting Atlanta United FC.

And really, NYCFC? Youve uh, seen their jerseys right? There is a reason theyre referred to as Junior City. Their whole brand is a joke.

And last I checked, Toronto had a giant Maple Leaf visible in their seats, courtesy of their Maple Leaf owners.

Wtf man. Your team has the same jersey as five other clubs and people think you work for the company when you wear the jersey on the street.

NYCFC is not the best brand but there's a reason their shitty brand is much more popular than ours...

And last I checked the maple leaf is there cuz of I dunno...

Canada-Flag.jpg

Top Bottom