• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

xbhaskarx

DpLv37E.jpg

lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NYC midfield seems like it's in a bit of disarray right now. To be expected with so many pieces that haven't been starting together.

Toothpick

The energy from the fans and players this match is on point. The cali weather had players pretty gassed. Not to mention sounders had no attack for 89 minutes..

good derby

Lunar FC

I don't watch mls that often but has there ever been a match where the annoucers didn't talk about growing the game in the states?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyone else expect Kreis to get fired soon?

Expansion woes are one thing, but I think his tactical acumen is garbage.

I think they'll give him until the expansion window next summer. The team he put on the field was good, minus not starting Poku I couldn't think of a better 11 they could have played, they just haven't spent a lot of time together. I think they had to expect a year of growing pains.

Anyone else expect Kreis to get fired soon?

Expansion woes are one thing, but I think his tactical acumen is garbage.

I think that would be a little extreme. Funny but extreme.

I do think Pirlo will be one and done. He looked like a deer in the headlights when he wasn't on his ass.

GRW810

NY is RED. Awesome match last night, both for the result and the entertainment. Even as a neutral I would have been gripped. Fantastic stuff.

Man City Lite were awful with fleeting moments of brilliance. No in between. Their trio of DPs were horrendous. I'm an Englishman and I've enjoyed watching Lapmard for well over a decade. Big fan of his. I have never, ever seen him play so badly. Say what you want about quality of teammates but his touch, passing and fitness were dire. Even his shooting was off. I know he's not fit but I'm just commenting on what I saw.

Pirlo was a joke. This guy was in the Champions League final two months ago yet he was possibly the worst player on a pitch that included rookies and guys making 50k a year. Was awkward to watch.

As for my Red Bulls, just superb. Shaky first ten minutes but overall they were dominant. Could have been 5-0 with better finishing (fucking useless Kljestan). Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine three wins from three in the debut derby season.

Connor Lade was MotM for me. Was a terrier. Dax bossed the MF. Miazga was a beast and once again had Villa in his pocket.

What a result.

So, quick question..is this MLS-GAF then, alongside a catch-all for American soccer?

Because I'm a Whitecaps fan and a Canadian, so I'm not quite sure if I should be here.
Congratulations on your team's excellent season so far. Topping a Western Conference including LA, FCD, Settle, RSL and KC is incredible.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
EnchantedSomeAmmonite.gif

Love this gif. Brent is such a boss.

Props to the NYC fan with the Dominican flag lol

No representation in the league, still reppin

I was thinking of bringing a Dominican flag to the match today but didn't pick one up. I could have easily gotten off at any stop on the A line and gotten one during the parade, but alas.

Lol at the guy wearing a Catchers helmet in the crowd in one shot. Well played sir

This game is awesome

ieAfMdel.jpg

I had to take a picture of him. It was too good.

What an awesome game, great to see RBA filled to the brim like that. I knew there was going to be some extracurricular activities when a group of NYCFC supporters decided to get off at Newark instead of Harrison and just wait outside Bellos like that. They were either: A) Dumb as rocks or B) Looking for problems.

xbhaskarx

Team of the Week (Wk 23)

Anyone who doesn't think Feilhaber is one of the 10-20 best American players right now should be fired, both as coach of the national team and out of a cannon.

We were talking about how Dax McCarty should get called in during the All Star game, I think he showed why he deserves it again last night...

Osorio

These guys must be naive to think this sort of stuff hasn't happened in the past.

Compare this to a San Jose vs. DC game in the late 90's where MS-13 members supporting Raul Diaz Arce stabbed two Barra Brava members.

2006 Red Bulls vs. DC, several Barra Brava members threw bottles at us, leaving two of our members requiring stitches in the head.

2009, at Gillette Stadium a group of New England fans charged at us before getting to our bus home. The stadium security pepper sprayed all of us regardless of who started the incident.

2010 MLS playoffs, San Jose Ultras attacked our group's tailgate and luckily Polish Pete knocked out three of them before they ran away

2012 MLS Playoffs I was chased out of the RFK Metro Station by a group of DC fans for my scarf. It was 7 on 1 so I ran to where the Metro fans were tailgating for backup. They ran away once I got to the parking lot.

These are incidents I've seen or heard of from a primary source. Imagine all the stuff that gets unmentioned. Get outta here with this "hooliganism is now in America!" nonsense. It's sports, tribalism, alcohol, stupidity, you name it. Like hell this doesn't happen in any other major sports in the country.

xbhaskarx

McCarty is the one that needs the call-up. Feilhaber is going to be too old by Russia and we really need a replacement for Beckerman.

Guys like Dempsey, Beasley, and Brad Davis were on the roster for the Gold Cup, along with Beckerman. If we're not abandoning all players that will be too old by Russia, might as well call in Feilhaber until it's clear that he's too old. Right now he's performing at a much higher level than any of those guys except maybe Dempsey when he's at his best. He's certainly a better bet to be playing at a sufficiently high level in 2018 than Beasley, Beckerman, or Davis... over the last few years he's just gotten better and better, right now he's playing at the highest level of his career. And he was already more than good enough for the national team in 2007-2010.

Dartastic

Good to see NWSL on tv. Anyone else watching? Portland is out in force to support the Thorns.
I was there. Been a season ticket holder since year one. Great game. Super awesome to see it on TV. We always show up to support our girls. It's almost always a 14, 15k attendance number. :)

Blue Lou

Olympic qualifying news:

CONCACAF to Hold Olympic Qualifying Championship Draw in Los Angeles on August 18

Miami (Monday, August 10, 2015) – The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) informs media that the official draw for the 2015 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship will be held the morning of Tuesday, August 18 at the Torrance Marriot Redondo Beach in greater Los Angeles.

The proceedings, involving representatives of the eight nations qualified to participate in the Championship, will determine the groups for the initial stage of the Confederation’s U-23 championship event. The Olympic Qualifying Championship sends two teams directly to the 2016 Olympic Games, with a third team qualifying for a playoff against South American Youth Football Championship runner-up Colombia.

Top Bottom