• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

When are new teams going to learn that signing aging European stars isn't always the best plan, I mean look at NYCFC.

Would you say NYCFC has had a poor first year? They aren't winning a ton of games but how are the ticket and merchandise sales? Where do they compare in popularity to other teams in the league? I'm sure the owners want to win in the near future but I think they'll be happy with how their first year went.

Is it good for the league? Hard to say. Nice to get the global exposure but it validates the retirement league rap.

xbhaskarx

but it validates the retirement league rap.

But NYC has the third worst PPG in the league... meanwhile Vancouver is near the top of the standings.

The oldest teams in Liga MX are even older than NYC...

ESPN Deportes took a closer look at the first division leagues and clubs in North America and found that the average age of an MLS player is currently 25.8 years old compared to 27 years old in Liga MX.

The other 2015 MLS expansion team, New York City FC, is MLS' oldest, clocking in with an average age of 27.4, but ESPN identifies six Mexican first-division clubs that are older than NYCFC, with Puebla the oldest on average at 29.6 years old.

MLS youngest
Vancouver 24.3
Orlando City 24.5
Toronto 25.1
RSL 25.2
Houston 25.3

MLS oldest
NYC 27.4
Chicago 27
LA 26.9
DC 26.8
Montreal 26.4

MX youngest
Santos Laguna 23
Chivas 24.9
Pumas 25.1
Tijuana 25.7
Monterrey 25.8

MX oldest
Puebla 29.6
Dorados 29
Veracruz 28.8
Cruz Azul 28.7
Chiapas 28.2
Morelia 28.2

xbhaskarx

MLS Concepts

What is happening I actually like the Quakes jersey...
7f728828660753.55cbcba26ef81.jpg

xbhaskarx

Creation of Rio Grande Valley FC Represents Next Step in USL Expansion Evolution

Last Wednesday, USL introduced Rio Grande Valley FC as the first official expansion team for the 2016 season. The 25th entrant into the fast-growing league is owned by Alex Cantu, owner of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in the NBA Development League. RGVFC will play its home matches at a 9,400-seat soccer specific stadium already under construction in Edinburg, Texas.

RGVFC is not only breaking ground for the new stadium, which is modeled after BBVA Compass Stadium and Avaya Stadium, but it is also breaking new ground in USL through its affiliation with Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer. The novelty does not lie in the fact that an affiliation between the teams exists; USL and MLS teams have been reaching affiliation agreements since a partnership between the leagues was forged in 2013. The innovation comes in the structure of the affiliation.

In what is being labeled as a hybrid affiliation, Lone Star LLC, of which Cantu is a majority owner, will manage all aspects of RGVFC with the exception of soccer operations. Soccer will be handled by the Dynamo. The model for this type of affiliation was developed by Lone Star and the Houston Rockets for the D-League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers. It is the reason that the Dynamo approached Cantu for USL affiliation.

The hybrid affiliation is unlike any existing relationship between USL and MLS franchises.

Cystm

Ew2UE3x.jpg

#HauptOUT

SKC in for the finals too, it would appear.

2 goals in 5 minutes. 3 - 1.

Feilhaber with two assists and a clean up goal.

xbhaskarx

SKC breaking all the USOC attendance records...

TheCup.us @usopencup
In #USOC2015, #SportingKC has broken Modern Era attend. record for Rd 4 (19,298) Rd 5 (19,113), QFinals (17,589) & Semifinals (16,117) #MLS
Did it again: 16,117 showed up at Sporting Park to support #SportingKC, breaking the Modern Era record (held by #RSL in 2013 - 14,742) #MLS

Feilhaber with a goal and an assist (initially credited with two assists but had one taken away due to a slight deflection) today, leading Matt Doyle to go after Klinsmann...

Matthew Doyle @MLSAnalyst
Just say "He doesn't fit my plan." Saying "There are others ahead of him" is both wrong & nakedly condescending toward the fanbase.

xbhaskarx

Wow Chicago are terrible... how long does Frank Yallop last now that they have been eliminated from USOC... his away record in all competitions is now 3 W 23 L 12 D since winning the Supporters Shield in 2012.

Osorio

But I want an Italian player too! :(

I love Balotelli but I can't see his attitude working on that locker room. The lack of ego the squad has shown this year is refreshing. Do I miss Henry? Absolutely. But he was a consummate professional with an ego. I'm not sure Balotelli would bring anywhere near the same presence that TH14 did.

Cystm

Wow Chicago are terrible... how long does Frank Yallop last now that they have been eliminated from USOC... his away record in all competitions is now 3 W 23 L 12 D since winning the Supporters Shield in 2012.

It's not just Yallop. The current ownership group is not about winning, but rather sees the club as a capital investment, with just enough support from fans of the club to be a source of sustainable income. Nothing more.

He has turned this club into Chivas USA.

Meier

Ream is definitely going to be in a better position to make it back to the Premier League at QPR than at Bolton, but it's a bit of a shame to see him leave since he's been such a key player there. Hopefully he continues to play effectively every game.

Dartastic

It's not just Yallop. The current ownership group is not about winning, but rather sees the club as a capital investment, with just enough support from fans of the club to be a source of sustainable income. Nothing more.

He has turned this club into Chivas USA.
Yep. Depressing. Such a great market that's being shat on.
Pretty sure that's not the case...

Here is the old map for the US, obviously there have been changes but teams don't just get rights to states that aren't even near them.
I'm confident that map is old. We also have Idaho in addition to NM. Even just heard Gavin Wilkinson talk about it on the latest Soccer Made in Portland.
I just can't support anything Portland after they got rid of the old airport carpet.

I don't know what it is about MLS that just keeps me from getting into it. Feels like the only conversation about it is revolved about how it's growing and never about what's taking place on the field. Just want the growing period to be over already, but that doesn't even seem like it's close.
Oh come on, that carpet is old news. Get with the new carpet. :p

Just got my season ticket renewal notice; looks like the Revs are doing the bus trip up to RBA again. Probably the same the other way around too

My birthday was this week and I didn't get one :(

I'm a part of the US Soccer Supporters Club. Maybe that's a part of it?

I'm talking my Dad into season tickets. The seven month payment plan they're offering for early buyers got him interested the most. He likes sitting above The South Ward so a season ticket would be $350 ($50 a month), which isn't bad at all. Plus, the sweet jacket doesn't hurt. I'll break him eventually.

My dad and I are seriously considering season tickets for next season but the lack of a proper FO is kinda really making that a difficult choice.

7% off is a decent deal though...

xbhaskarx

Poku is the best player on NYC pretty much every time I watch them play... still perplexed by the fact that he doesn't start every game.

Jonathan Tannenwald @thegoalkeeper
Well now. It looks like the Union will be announcing next Wednesday that they’ll be launching a USL team in Bethlehem.

Well this is good news. Should be Bethlehem Steel branded, if not well.. that's another big mistake by the organization..

Osorio

I'm talking my Dad into season tickets. The seven month payment plan they're offering for early buyers got him interested the most. He likes sitting above The South Ward so a season ticket would be $350 ($50 a month), which isn't bad at all. Plus, the sweet jacket doesn't hurt. I'll break him eventually.

201 is definitely the best section in the stadium.

Meier

Uh. What does that mean? Like he is tired of hearing Poku questions?

Coaches rarely want to only discuss one subject at a press conference. Kreis looked real ornery yesterday though.. never once seemed happy during the game.

If Lampard is fit, I'd play him over Mix and have Poku technically out on the wing (he roams all over anyway). Mix has to be in the conversation for the most disappointing player in MLS season. Been very, very poor.

KingGondo

Banned
USL standings 3/4 of the way through the season... the west is rather tight.
Looking like OKC will make the playoffs after a stretch of uninspiring play a month or so ago. Won 3 in a row with some winnable games upcoming.

Hoping to host a playoff game, ideally against Tulsa. The fan support has been good this season, but that's our best chance to really build support even further.

Dartastic

Coaches rarely want to only discuss one subject at a press conference. Kreis looked real ornery yesterday though.. never once seemed happy during the game.

If Lampard is fit, I'd play him over Mix and have Poku technically out on the wing (he roams all over anyway). Mix has to be in the conversation for the most disappointing player in MLS season. Been very, very poor.
Yeah. I know nobody has the kind of access a coach has, but all I hear from people is how great Poku has looked, and that he hasn't gotten the shot on the field that he deserves.

I could also see him being ornery because of the Lampard situation. Honestly, I think NYCFC should just cancel the rest of his contract at the end of the season and move on. I don't think he'll ever be truly fit. I can't think of anyone else who has been a larger disappointment to the league than Lamps.

RE: Mix, why has he been the most disappointing player in MLS? I know he's not producing goals, but what else isn't working? I know a lot of fans are "disappointed" in Nagbe, but when you look at basically everything he does outside of scoring, you can't be sad to have the guy on your team at all. In addition, NYCFC is an expansion club that has seemed extremely in flux.

Cystm

Trying to watch Bundesliga pre-game and that's a no go thanks to Eric Wynalda.

He is like that uncle that used to be cool but, is now always drunk and trying to be funny, but everyone secretly fucking hates his bullshit and wishes he would just stop.

Why is Wynalda doing Bundesliga coverage? :\

Funny thing though, the game was on Fox Sports 2, which is on FiOS but not in HD. Flipping through the channels, I find it on YES (Yankees' network) in HD. Unfortunately, I didn't watch it since Manchester United was going to be on about 10 minutes after it started but it was still cool.

Cystm

Others of us think owner Andrew Hauptman, a wealthy movie producer who lives in California, is a cheapskate who either can't, or won't, get decent players.

Fans are so angry that in Philadelphia on Wednesday, they unfurled a huge banner declaring war with Hauptman. On it were these simple words:

Hauptman Out.

They want to embarrass the MLS into forcing a change in ownership. And it might just work.

The war started two years ago, when Hauptman foolishly released an open letter on the team's website, signed by a hapless underling, attacking fans for daring to boo Hauptman during a game.

The owner-fan relationship, if there ever was one, died that day. Now it's open war.

Fire sources say the bosses are upset with the banner. But I'd suggest if they don't like it, then sell and let someone else run the club.

One angry fan (OK, it was me) tweeted out that the Fire had just hired a new mascot: Death.

Top Bottom