• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

RBH

nbc_epl.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094004

xbhaskarx

I love new American soccer teams, it's like Christmas morning...

MiamiFC (NASL) crest:

FC Cincinnati
(USL) crest:

John Harkes! Could we see a Harkes vs Wynalda matchup in the coaching ranks? That would certainly be preferable to listening to either one on TV...

The local NPSL team rebranded in response:

Cincinnati Saints @CincySaints
Folding? Does this answer your question?
CMIudkFWEAAPNW5.jpg
I liked their old crest... it's a bit like QPR

#CincySoccerWarz

Meier

I love new American soccer teams, it's like Christmas morning...

MiamiFC (NASL) crest:

FC Cincinnati
(USL) crest:

John Harkes! Could we see a Harkes vs Wynalda matchup in the coaching ranks? That would certainly be preferable to listening to either one on TV...

The local NPSL team rebranded in response:

I liked their old crest... it's a bit like QPR

#CincySoccerWarz
Good stuff with the exception of the Miami one. The design itself is okay I suppose but the colors do not fit it well. Looks ugly.

xbhaskarx

Is this the final Puerto Rico FC crest or a placeholder? It's not bad but it's quite basic.
I really think they should have brought back the name Puerto Rico Islanders (not the 90s clip art crest obviously).

Lots of orange teams being added, which I guess is better than the same old red-blue...

Good stuff with the exception of the Miami one. The design itself is okay I suppose but the colors do not fit it well. Looks ugly.

Yeah they should have gone with colors more like the Miami Dolphins than the 80s Denver Broncos...

Osorio

I don't remember an unveiling but who's paying attention to Puerto Rico FC anyway?

I've been reading up on the Cosmos lately because I'm going to a game soon to see Haji Wright and Andres Flores. Apparently they're rumored to be pursuing Giorgio Samaras.

Osorio

Why would anyone try to copy the Rapids logo?

A team from New Mexico should have a dope crest considering the state flag is arguably the best if not one of the best in the country.

xbhaskarx

I've been reading up on the Cosmos lately because I'm going to a game soon to see Haji Wright and Andres Flores. Apparently they're rumored to be pursuing Giorgio Samaras.

I'm hoping the New York Cosmos build a super expensive stadium somewhere in the Queens/Brooklyn/LI area, but fail to draw crowds, and then pay an exorbitant MLS expansion fee out of desperation... I'd like to see three teams in both NY and LA, I think that could work in both places with the proper ownership, branding, marketing, stadiums, etc.

Lunar FC

Why would anyone try to copy the Rapids logo?

A team from New Mexico should have a dope crest considering the state flag is arguably the best if not one of the best in the country.

You would think. The name/logo is so poor it makes me not want to attend any of the games.

I'm hoping the New York Cosmos build a super expensive stadium somewhere in the Queens/Brooklyn/LI area, but fail to draw crowds, and then pay an exorbitant MLS expansion fee out of desperation... I'd like to see three teams in both NY and LA, I think that could work in both places with the proper ownership, branding, marketing, stadiums, etc.

Or we could give them to cities who lack professional teams but could still actually fill a stadium and support the club.

Osorio

They're having a playoff game at MCU Park in Coney Island where the Brooklyn Cyclones play. It'll be their second game played there this season.

It's not a bad alternative to Hofstra even though it would be ironic for two of the three NY teams to play in baseball stadiums. However, the Brooklyn borough president wants a pro team in NY and he has his sights on the Cosmos.

xbhaskarx

Or we could give them to cities who lack professional teams but could still actually fill a stadium and support the club.

Sure, I didn't say other large cities shouldn't get expansion teams also. But the NY and LA metropolitan areas have between 12 and 20 times as many people as, say, Salt Lake City, so they can support multiple teams. All three of the current NY/LA teams have decent to great attendance.

Osorio

Sure, I didn't say other large cities shouldn't get expansion teams also. But the NY and LA metropolitan areas have between 12 and 20 times as many people as, say, Salt Lake City, so they can support multiple teams. All three of the current NY/LA teams have decent to great attendance.

If the NY metropolitan area can have three hockey teams it can definitely host three soccer teams.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They're having a playoff game at MCU Park in Coney Island where the Brooklyn Cyclones play. It'll be their second game played there this season.

It's not a bad alternative to Hofstra even though it would be ironic for two of the three NY teams to play in baseball stadiums. However, the Brooklyn borough president wants a pro team in NY and he has his sights on the Cosmos.

Don't they already have a deal for a stadium at Belmont?

xbhaskarx

I have been complaining about Mastroeni for months... he traded away Klute for nothing at the draft, he barely plays young guys like Powers / Serna / O'Neill, and now they have shipped O'Neill off to Cyprus... it's stupefying that this guy still has a job.

"The Rapids Way" can be pronounced dead
Do you remember 'The Rapids Way'? It was what we were promised after the bitter disappointment of losing Oscar Pareja after the 2013 season. Pareja had implemented a style of attack that provided possibly the most entertaining season of Rapids soccer we had ever seen in 2013, and after he so rudely bolted away we were told that the team would be pushing to keep that the case. After all, one of the reasons that Gary Smith and the Rapids front office had to be split up was because Gary wanted full control of his club, which meant full control over a team playing the boring, draw-laden hoofball that the team desperately wanted to get away from.

Gary was dropped like a sack of wet rags because of that fact, and Pareja was brought in to usher in a new era. And by golly, they almost did it but for Pareja's sickening homesickness that forced him out. It forced a panic move by the Front Office, but they remained optimistic. "The Rapids Way" was still intact. I spoke with Brian Crookham at the draft the year Pablo was instilled as head coach -- you'll recall that Pablo was the 'acting' head coach for them at the draft -- and he waxed lyrical about the system that the Rapids were putting together at all levels of the club.

They were even playing a 4-2-3-1 during the preseason again, just like Pareja used to!

Hoo boy.

It took only a few games before it came crashing down again, even worse this time. A few matches in, the 4-2-3-1 was gone for good. Pablo Mastroeni has his style now. He's done throwing the shit at a wall; now he's just sticking with the same shit and assuming it's going to stick. You've seen the 4-3-3 with three defensive guys in the middle, defensive, 10 men back strategy every match this year. Gone are the attacking substitutions, the attacking midfielders flooding the roster, and even the few goals we had seen before. The eyeball test is rarely accurate, but it's hard to fault it here.

And now, we essentially have it straight from the horse's mouth. The goal is to defend. Goals may come for the home team (so long as they're clinical, of course) but the real purpose is to key in on the opposition's attack, tackle them well, and keep them from scoring. And since the season has started, the FO hasn't had a single word to say about it. There has been no talk of 'The Rapids Way'. No talk of goals or possession. They just authorized a transfer window where all they did was sell a center back and replace him with two other center backs.

This is far worse than Gary Smith's soccer; this is what other MLS fans always liked to pretend that Gary Smith's style was -- foul-ridden, ugly, 10-man-back hoofball with no tactical purpose to it. The only difference is that Gary didn't have so much tantalizing offensive talent wasting away on his roster when he tried to play it.

Dartastic

Really wish New Mexico had a team in the NASL or USL. The biggest club we have is in the PDL (4th division). And look at our travesty of a logo.
You should root for the Timbers. As someone who grew up in Santa Fe and sees New Mexico license plates CONSTANTLY all over Portland, I can tell you that there are a toooooooooon of people from NM here. I think also we've gotten development rights to players in NM too, or something? Can't remember where I read that, but I do remember something along those lines being a thing. Root for the TImbers! :p

P.S. Send me frozen Bueno green autumn roast plz. :p

Lunar FC

You should root for the Timbers. As someone who grew up in Santa Fe and sees New Mexico license plates CONSTANTLY all over Portland, I can tell you that there are a toooooooooon of people from NM here. I think also we've gotten development rights to players in NM too, or something? Can't remember where I read that, but I do remember something along those lines being a thing. Root for the TImbers! :p

P.S. Send me frozen Bueno green autumn roast plz. :p

I just can't support anything Portland after they got rid of the old airport carpet.

I don't know what it is about MLS that just keeps me from getting into it. Feels like the only conversation about it is revolved about how it's growing and never about what's taking place on the field. Just want the growing period to be over already, but that doesn't even seem like it's close.

xbhaskarx

What country now sends the most players to MLS?
Argentina: 25 players
Leandro Barrera, Victor Cabrera, Ezequiel Cirigliano, Facundo Coria, Mauro Diaz, Fabian Espindola, Matias Perez Garcia, Federico Higuain, Sebastian Jaime, Matias Laba, Cristian Maidana, Lucas Melano, Leonel Miranda, Javier Morales, Norberto Paparatto, Ignacio Piatti, Lucas Pittinari, Juan Ramirez, Andres Romero, Mauro Rosales, Gaston Sauro, Luis Solignac, Maximiliano Urruti, Diego Valeri, Gonzalo Veron

England: 22 players
Giles Barnes*, Luke Boden, Andy Dorman**, Dom Dwyer, Otis Earle, Shay Facey, Steven Gerrard, Harrison Heath, Seb Hines, Frank Lampard, Tyrone Mears, Luke Moore, Luke Mulholland, Lewis Neal, Nigel Reo-Coker, Liam Ridgewell, Lloyd Sam, Jordan Stewart, Sean St. Ledger***, Matt Watson, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Shaun Wright-Phillips

* - born in England, represents Jamaica internationally
** - born in Engalnd, has represented Wales internationally
*** - born in England, represents Ireland internationally

Brazil: 19 players
Alex, Fabinho, Fred, Leo Fernandes, Adailton, Gilberto, Jackson, Jeanderson, Juninho, Kaká, Leonardo, Felipe, Michel, Paulo Nagamura, Pecka, Pedro Ribeiro, Marcelo Sarvas, Matheus Silva, Thomas

Jamaica: 18 players
Andre Blake, Sergio Campbell, Oniel Fisher, Shaun Francis, Jason Johnson, Kemar Lawrence, Andre Lewis, Damion Lowe, Darren Mattocks, Lovel Palmer, Demar Phillips, Alvas Powell, Dane Richards, Donovan Ricketts, Michael Seaton, Khari Stephenson, Jermaine Taylor, Romario Williams

Nice to see this. Sounds like a big prospect, and hopefully he pans out.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Hyndman. I would guess he's leaving before the window closes, but who knows. Fulham hasn't played him at all this season - he's been on the bench for both games.
American Exports: Previewing the Bundesliga season and its strong American contingent

No mention of Caleb Stanko at Freiburg, wonder how his recovery is going...
He played about 10 minutes last week at the end of a cup game, so it seems like he's doing ok.

xbhaskarx

The Mirror: MLS franchise LAFC "obsessed" with Cristiano Ronaldo signing - and want to pair him with Wayne Rooney

LAFC are "obsessed" with signing Cristiano Ronaldo when they come into being in 2018, and will look to pair him with former teammate Wayne Rooney.
The new Major League Soccer franchise is to replace the now-defunct Chivas USA and is backed by 22 wealthy individuals including Basketball legend Magic Johnson, Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan and former NBA exec Tom Penn.
And MirrorSport can reveal that plans are already afoot within the nascent organisation to make Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo their first designated player.

"There seems to be an obsession in LA with landing Ronaldo," a source told MirrorFootball.
"The league will be even stronger by then. He'd be a franchise player for them and truly announce their arrival, and they think they can sell him the 'American Dream'."
And Ronaldo could be joined by Wayne Rooney in a reuniting of two-thirds of Manchester United's Champions League-winning frontline of 2008.
Rooney holidays most years in Los Angeles, and while the LAFC executive corps are not known to have reached out yet to the England captain's entourage, he features very highly on their wanted list with the firm belief that he is an achievable target.

xbhaskarx

NPSL chairman Joe Barone wants NASL merger to bring about promotion and relegation in North America
Joe Barone says he will speak to Bill Peterson in the next few months to kickstart pyramid system so 'Major League Soccer doesn't crush us down'

This is hilarious, time for Bill Peterson to put his (or his owners') money where his mouth is...

Edit:
NASL Statement on Promotion/Relegation

The North American Soccer League released a statement on Wednesday regarding the recent public discussion of promotion/relegation:

We have clearly stated our belief in the concept of promotion/relegation, but we have also asserted that it is something that will take time. It's important to discuss the concept as part of the quickly changing soccer landscape in North America, and it's vital that we continue to contemplate what's best for the growth of our professional game. We have not, however, engaged in discussions with any other parties up to this point.

lol

Top Bottom