• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Mory Dunz

I know Klinnsman likes Yedlin's speed, but I feel Bedoya should still start....and start on the wing cause that's his position

Either Zardes or Yedlin should be a super sub. Yedlin might fit the role. (Or have Yedlin try RB again? I know he hasn't been great there, but who has?)

- U.S. U-23 GK Cropper has surgery, in doubt for Olympic qualifying

If he's out, then Steffen or Horvath will play. They're both solid alternatives, though Cropper is more experienced.

- Jeff Carlisle for ESPNFC: Former West Ham prospect Sebastian Lletget finally thriving at LA Galaxy

The last word that comes to mind when watching the USMNT the past 6 months is "foundation."
Sure, but the current player pool has enough talent to have a good chance of success in the CONCACAF Cup if they're arrayed properly in a tactical sense. While the last 6 months haven't gone well, that's all the article is trying to say.

Cystm

Forgot to set my fantasy lineup. :*(

Same.

45yiKFJ.png

xbhaskarx

MLS / Análisis de Jugadores
MLS / Players Analysis
There’s no doubt that foreign influence has brought improvement and technical perfection to modern day soccer leagues. Examples abound, but the vigorous MLS (Major League Soccer) is particularly surprising. Not just because of the percentage of foreigners in the league, but because of the detailed planning and strategy involved in hiring global soccer stars who are facing the last years of their careers. Let’s analyze the percentage of foreign players in the league, and see which countries they come from.

Robert Earnshaw and Fred lol

ZZMitch

Hey guys do you know a reliable way to find out which jersey a team is going to wear to a particular match?

I am going to the RevsVsTFC game on Sunday and normally the Revs would wear their new red away jersies but since TFCs home colors are red I was not sure.

- Reuters: U.S. will definitely stage centenary Copa America in 2016
"We have once again ratified the unanimous decision taken at a meeting in August to hold the Centenary Cup in its original format in the United States," South American football confederation (CONMEBOL) president Juan Angel Napout told the Paraguayan radio station Urbana.
Officials from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL will meet in Mexico City on Thursday to discuss planning, he added.

Hey guys do you know a reliable way to find out which jersey a team is going to wear to a particular match?

I am going to the RevsVsTFC game on Sunday and normally the Revs would wear their new red away jersies but since TFCs home colors are red I was not sure.

Tweet at them?

Blue Lou

Nagbe is officially a US citizen now.

I don't think he's good enough to hold down a place in the 'USMNT' team. At best, he'll play in the alternate Gold Cups. The other alternative is to play for Liberia but they're pretty unlikely to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations in the next decade.

Back to the Training Compensation debate:

http://cdn-jpg.si.com/sites/default/files/download/cantwell-us-soccer.pdf

USSF responded to a Senator's question asking why USSF do not allow training compensation and solidarity fees to be passed on to youth academies who had a hand in developing players.

US Soccer agreed in Fraser that it would not enforce transfer fee or similar restrictions that FIFA might impose on the movement of players who were “out of contract.” Some aspects of the current FIFA RSTP may be considered applicable to out-of-contract players and, therefore, the Fraser order would apply in those circumstances.

In addition, US Soccer concluded, with the advice of outside counsel, that enforcing the RSTP with respect to the training compensation and solidarity payment mechanisms could be found to violate the antitrust laws of the United States given their potential impact on the mobility of players.

xbhaskarx

Sunderland starlet Lynden Gooch named Barclays U21 Premier League Player of the Month… so who is the American teenager?

Lynden Gooch scored three goals in as many games for Sunderland U21
Sunderland have won two of their three U21 Premier League games
Gooch made his senior debut for the Black Cats against Exeter
Sportsmail held an exclusive Q&A with the US U20 forward

Edit: oops, non-DailyFail link:
American Exports: Sunderland's Lynden Gooch named the Barclays Under-21 Player of the Month for August

Interesting Nagbe tidbit this afternoon:
DougMcIntyre w/ ESPN said:
Have on good authority that new U.S. citizen Darlington Nagbe would’ve gotten #usmnt call during 2014 World Cup cycle had he been eligible.

xbhaskarx

(although has Nguyen done anything this year? He seems like a total non-entity this season), but the reality is that if an American guy is in MLS, it's because that's his level of quality. He'd be elsewhere if he was better.

The opening quote from Matt Doyle's previous column seems relevant to your more general point:

"The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Not surprising as it's directed at Klinsmann...

As far as Lee Nguyen specifically, Doyle's latest column has this to say about him being a "total non-entity" this season:
Armchair Analyst: Revs back to Nguyen-ing ahead of Week 28
Penetration

“I’ll tell you right now, I can come in here and tell you I’ve seen games where Lee [Nguyen] had zero assists, zero goals and was better than he was tonight," said New England Revolution coach Jay Heaps after Nguyen had three assists on three Revs goals in a 3-0 win over Orlando City SC. "Tonight I thought he was really good obviously, he got three assists and I don’t want to knock that all, but I really can’t look at stats when I look at film just like you don’t look at record when you look at how impactful or who you’re playing against."

Nguyen is a pure No. 10, and like all No. 10s he's going to be judged on some level by the boxscore stats he puts up. By that measure he hasn't been as productive as last season, when he was an MVP candidate and a phenomenal, uncontainable playmaking force. But Heaps is, of course, correct: It's a mistake to judge any player strictly by their counting numbers.

This is especially true for Nguyen since he's a single-player attacking scheme. His comfort and inventiveness on the ball in tight quarters, and his ability to complete telling passes at an elite clip, mean the Revs can and do advance higher up the field than anybody else in the league. Thus if you watch them play, you'll notice them knocking it around the box a ton:

Team | Passes, ending in Final 1/3 | Successful Passes, ending in Final 1/3
New England Revolution 4101 2701
New York Red Bulls 3796 2478
LA Galaxy 3651 2320

That's almost a comedically large gap between first and second place, and it keeps alive the precedent this team set last season. Nguyen is the key, and disorganized defenses are particularly susceptible to the kind of penetration he offers.

xbhaskarx

LOL NYC gives up two goals at the end of the first half, Akindele and Michel just abused them in stoppage time.

Figures since I forgot to transfer him back in for Higuain. Ugh.

I haven't touched my team since last week when there were only a few games, at this point I'm too scared to even look at how I'm doing this week...

xbhaskarx

Huge game tonight, this is pretty much for the Quakes season...

There are nine games this weekend, and every one of them is rife with playoff implications. The biggest? That's probably San Jose vs. Seattle on Saturday night (10:30 pm ET; MLS LIVE) at Avaya Stadium.

Check out the numbers at SportsClubStats to see what I mean. Using a Monte Carlo simulation, a win puts the Quakes at nearly 80 percent likely to make the playoffs, while a loss would drop them below 50 percent. The swing is even wilder for the Sounders, as a win puts them at 86 percent to make the playoffs, and a loss drops them to 47 percent. It is, by any measure, a huge game.

xbhaskarx

DC vs Colorado has to be the most boring matchup possible in MLS at the moment, MLS 1.0 vs 0.0... I didn't watch it but I see both teams had center backs score on set pieces.

Did that Roman Torres injury look as terrible to everyone else as it did to me?

I was at the stadium and didn't see what happened, and they never showed the replay...

Also good for RBNY in our hunt for the shield!

NY has to be considered the favorites given that Vancouver and Dallas play each other twice. If you guys win remember you owe the Quakes for taking out KC/DC/LA in the span of two weeks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NY has to be considered the favorites given that Vancouver and Dallas play each other twice. If you guys win remember you owe the Quakes for taking out KC/DC/LA in the span of two weeks.

We've also played two games less than both LA and Vancouver. All we need is for both of those upcoming games to be wins and we're through, assuming everything else holds steady.

xbhaskarx

NASL owner Carmelo Anthony in Cuba with the NY Cosmos...

Stay Melo: Carmelo Anthony in the Streets of Cuba

Throughout the NBA offseason VICE Sports and Carmelo Anthony are exploring street sport cultures around the world. In our premiere episode, Melo travels to Cuba to explore the rise of soccer in a nation synonymous with baseball, ride a 1950s drop top in the rain, and grab some fresh rolled Cuban cigars along the way. Made possible by Draft Kings.

Top Bottom