• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

xbhaskarx

Crazy how certain patterns seem to repeat themselves, Galaxy are mediocre and then start caring, Revs tank in the summer and then go on a tear right after, KC looks unbeatable and then can't win a game by the end of the season, Chicago Fire are a joke, etc.

GRW810

Crazy how certain patterns seem to repeat themselves, Galaxy are mediocre and then start caring, Revs tank in the summer and then go on a tear right after, KC looks unbeatable and then can't win a game by the end of the season, Chicago Fire are a joke, etc.
I noticed that too. The Red Bulls bucked their trend of wilting in the summer and Toronto are actually, finally going to make the play offs but yeah, some teams do seem to follow a pattern during a season.

Dartastic

Dap to the audio crew at Fox for catching that "Go back to Kansas, you fucking cunts" chant.

EVYafcm.png

Edit: https://vine.co/v/eFTgP75W39Y lol dont even need audio on
Lololololol

xbhaskarx

Reno getting USL in 2017:

Reno nabs professional soccer franchise to play at Aces Ballpark

A professional soccer team will be playing at Aces Ballpark by 2017 under the terms of a new franchise that will be announced in Reno on Wednesday.

United Soccer League President Jake Edwards will be in town to finalize the franchise for the expansion team being awarded to retail billionaire and Aces team owner Herb Simon.

Simon and Edwards will join Gov. Brian Sandoval and Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve at the ceremony announcing the deal at the Aces Ballpark on Wednesday.

The team will begin play in 2017 and its season will overlap the baseball season. Ballpark owners need the time to figure out the details of how the ballpark will be shared.

Orlando getting NWSL in 2016:

MLS's Orlando City set to expand into NWSL for 2016

Cystm

LRRU6BQ.jpg

"...Sushi was a bad choice..."

NYCFC is astonishingly disappointing and embarrassing for the league.

David Villa deserves better. Dude is out there every game giving his all. Lamps is out there hungover on sushi.

xbhaskarx

Overall soccer is doing quite well in the New York market, though...

New York City FC Surpass 19,000 Founding Members; Less than 1,000 Spots Remain
New York City FC have surpassed 19,000 Founding Members. The Club announced last month that they will cap Founding Memberships at 20,000, leaving less than 1,000 season tickets remaining.

Demand for tickets has been robust all season, with average home game attendance of approximately 29,000. Founding Members receive a number of benefits including: preferred full season ticket pricing for the life of the account, priority access to seat selection in future seasons and the opportunity to have names etched in stone at the Club’s future soccer-specific stadium.

The Club has also unveiled 2016 season ticket pricing and added increased seating options to meet the growing demand. Beginning in the 2016 Season, the increased capacity at Yankee Stadium, as configured for New York City FC matches, will be approximately 30,000 up from current capacity of 27,528.

Sources: Red Bulls ahead of last year’s record season ticket renewal pace
New York City FC aren’t the only local pro soccer club enjoying record season ticket interest.

As reported by EoS last year, the New York Red Bulls set a franchise record in season ticket renewals, bringing 7,500 of their loyal fans back to the fold by the second week of September.

This year has gone even better. According to reliable sources, the Red Bulls are 500-1,000 tickets above last year’s pace — and they are not done there. With some 8,000-8,500 renewals already accounted for, the Red Bulls are projecting to secure 10,000 renewals this month in the second phase of their drive.

My Dad and I got season tickets for next year. Unfortunately, he waited too long to make a decision so he's two sections over but we'll see if we can get something together after their seating-changing event in October.

Pablo Maurer
‏@MLSist
Can confirm that #LAFC's official colors are black and red with gold and silver accents. Am told their fan contest is a marketing ploy.

well im glad we finally have a team to wear Black and Red. I was worried we weren't going to have that color scheme in the league..

Some of those tweets are crazy.

I had no idea Austin Berry was playing in Korea now.

The South Korean second division too.

xbhaskarx

I was never impressed by Austin Berry, he only won rookie of the year because he was on a bad team and played a lot. Even in that first year Matt Hedges was a much better CB than him.

xbhaskarx

In case you were wondering "What are people on Twitter making fun of LAFC for right now?"

LA Times: Marketing to millennials, Los Angeles Football Club looking to stand apart

No one in the office wears a tie to work. And when they speak, the conversation can be heavy in jargon undecipherable to most people over the age of 40. But it's a language readily understood by LAFC's target audience: millennials, a term used to describe the generation that was born between the early 1980s and the early 2000s.

IDK my BFF Jill

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
USA's 35-man preliminary roster for the 10/10 Confederations Cup playoff v Mexico:

fcJHfp0.png

Bobby fucking Wood? Really?

At least Klinsmann is leaning on experience for once. I'd bet money we see the return of the diamond we played in the lead up to the world cup.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The 2015 "24 Under 24" rankings will be released on September 22

2015 "24 UNDER 24" SHORT LIST

9 from Vancouver, 7 from Dallas, 6 from RSL...

I tallied up the number of players from each team. I thought about adding some facts to the list such as how many of the players are on loan.

• Chicago Fire 2
    Colorado Rapids 4
    Columbus Crew SC 3
    D.C. United 1
    FC Dallas 7
    Houston Dynamo 3
    LA Galaxy 3
    Montreal Impact 4
    New England Revolution 4
    New York City FC 5
    New York Red Bulls 4
    Orlando City SC 4
    Philadelphia Union 5
    Portland Timbers 2
    Real Salt Lake 6
    San Jose Earthquakes 2
    Seattle Sounders FC 1
    Sporting Kansas City 2
    Toronto FC 4
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 9

GRW810

well im glad we finally have a team to wear Black and Red. I was worried we weren't going to have that color scheme in the league...
I can't believe MLS agreed to this. How uninspired. There's now two expansion teams waiting in the wings with the exact same colour scheme.
USA's 35-man preliminary roster for the 10/10 Confederations Cup playoff v Mexico:

fcJHfp0.png
Seriously, what size roster does Jurgen have to name before Dax McCarty gets a look in?

Steven Goff
‏@SoccerInsider
Sources confirm CONCACAF discussing changing Champions League format from overlapping years to single calendar year.

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 57m57 minutes ago
So, if approved, the CONCACAF Champions League would run from March to November. Under discussion.

uh

I think MLS would have to get super creative with scheduling to have that work, or some teams are just constantly shifting their lineups and playing Sat/Wed many weeks.

Oh, CONCACAF. The only thing consistent about it is garbage reffing and frequent changes to every tournament.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think MLS would have to get super creative with scheduling to have that work, or some teams are just constantly shifting their lineups and playing Sat/Wed many weeks.

Oh, CONCACAF. The only thing consistent about it is garbage reffing and frequent changes to every tournament.

I think it'd be better since that way the MLS squads going into the champion's league would know what they had to work with the whole time, there'd be no off-season changes or losing players. The Red Bulls might have made it further last year if they didn't have to worry about rebuilding after Henry left, for example.

I think it'd be better since that way the MLS squads going into the champion's league would know what they had to work with the whole time, there'd be no off-season changes or losing players. The Red Bulls might have made it further last year if they didn't have to worry about rebuilding after Henry left, for example.

Also true. And MLS clubs don't head into the quarterfinals in their preseason.

Cystm

LA's MLS expansion team announces official club name: Los Angeles Football Club

It was announced on Tuesday that the new LA club set to debut in 2018 will be known as the Los Angeles Football Club, or LAFC for short. According to a release issued by the club, the name was chosen after months of engagement with supporters, partners, stakeholders and founding season ticket members.

“The name that we chose is true to Los Angeles, authentic to world football and speaks to our global ambitions,” club managing partner and owner Henry Nguyen said in the statement.

Also:

LAFC Club Colors campaign continues on Monday. During week 1, Black, Blue, and Red received the most support.

Montreal missing quite a few players tonight:
Playing four games in the next 10 days, the Impact (9-11-5, 32 points) left star striker Didier Drogba, Argentine midfielder Ignacio Piatti, Justin Mapp, Marco Donadel, Laurent Ciman (suspended) and goalkeeper Evan Bush at home.
Looks like another trap match for the Quakes.

In other news, it's sad to hear that Josh Gatt blew out his knee again recently.

Grant Wahl said:
Look for U.S. national team midfielder Alejandro Bedoya to make a move from his French club, FC Nantes, in the next year. I’m told that talks are ongoing between Bedoya’s representatives and the Philadelphia Union, which nearly acquired him at the end of the recent transfer window. A German Bundesliga team was also heavily interested in Bedoya, who could move in January or next summer.

One question is whether Philadelphia would still want to move for Bedoya if the Union would have to wait for another year.

Bedoya has started once and made four Ligue 1 appearances so far this season.

Also:

For those hoping to see Messi, etc. in the US next summer: US will skip Copa meeting tomorrow, likely pullout of hosting
Copa América’s Fate Uncertain as U.S. Soccer Skips Meeting

So Bedoya is probably gonna be a January transfer then. I'm surprised that we're still going after him given his cost. We'd have a pretty good midfield though if we land him.

We have a ton of money to play with this offseason so maybe things are getting better? Plus 2nion as the final step in our academy pipeline makes me very cautiously optimistic.

Top Bottom