• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Ugh, what an embarrassment.

I hope they put on a show vs Colorado on Saturday, and maybe I'll be in the highlights again.

I wonder when MLSE pulls the trigger on their 9th Annual Coach Firing™

Ugh, Bingham just gave up a near post goal from deep when the Quakes were up a goal and a man at home. Brutal. Need to find another goal here somehow.

KingGondo

Banned
OKC wins its final USL match of the season to (temporarily) move back into first in the West.

Guaranteed to host at least one playoff game with a chance at a first round bye. Vast improvement on last season and the future looks bright.

Dartastic

Me too! Quakes were up 1-0 late in the 2nd half for the third consecutive home game (PHI, SEA, MON), and they've only earned 2 points from those three matches. Playoffs are slipping away.
Not me. We needed that result. :p

Seriously though, the Timbers only have themselves to blame for their current spot in the table. We were better than every team we have played in the last three games, yet we couldn't pull out results. If we did, we would be atop the shield standings.

Not me. We needed that result. :p

Seriously though, the Timbers only have themselves to blame for their current spot in the table. We were better than every team we have played in the last three games, yet we couldn't pull out results. If we did, we would be atop the shield standings.

Just get the W on Sunday! One game at a time!

Cystm

David Villa wrote this article (with Jed Jacobsohn) for The Players Tribune and I think it's a fascinating read.

- The Players Tribune: Just a Kid From Tuilla
When I think of my childhood in the small town of Tuilla, Spain, three things come to mind: football, coal mines and apples. The football part is not unique to my town. All across Spain, millions of children follow the same routine. They go to school and then come home and play street football until it gets dark. If you walk through any small town in Spain, you will see the broken windows from street football games. Often the games would be more than 11 vs. 11. It would be a free-for-all of maybe 40 kids. We knew that if we went home for dinner, that would be the end of our night. Our mothers would make us study and go to sleep. So whenever our energy was low, we improvised by jumping the nearest fence and “borrowing” some apples from the orchards around Tuilla. Some of the faster children may have even borrowed a few rabbits from the nearby farms, but I was never that quick.

Then I picked up the word “Steinbrenner” and my heart sank.

This part tho:

My kids were all very excited for pizza, so we ended up wandering around until we found a tiny pizzeria. There were only two tables in the entire place. It was classic New York, just how you see in movies, with the framed photos on the wall and everything. When the pizza came out, we all had a slice and everyone went crazy. I have been all over the world thanks to football, and I can honestly say that it was the best pizza I have ever had in my entire life. It was a small moment, but that night I really felt like I was living my American Dream.

Someone get this poor guy some Chicago pizza.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
David Villa wrote this article (with Jed Jacobsohn) for The Players Tribune and I think it's a fascinating read.

- The Players Tribune: Just a Kid From Tuilla

This part tho:

Someone get this poor guy some Chicago pizza.

David Villa knows what's up.

Don't you talk shit about our glorious pizza, especially comparing it to that casserole Chicago tries to pass off as pizza.

Cystm

David Villa knows what's up.

Don't you talk shit about our glorious pizza, especially comparing it to that casserole Chicago tries to pass off as pizza.

America has spoken

giphy.gif

Blue Lou

CONCACAF statement:

Today in Mexico City, CONCACAF had a very productive meeting with CONMEBOL and our broadcast partners, Univision and Televisa, regarding the Copa America Centenario. While all parties recognize that there are still issues that must be resolved, we are all in alignment regarding the next steps to be taken as well as the aggressive timeline towards realizing our common goal of staging the Copa America Centenario in the United States. We remain committed to working with all parties to resolve outstanding issues and operational components of the tournament.

USSoccer said:
The U-23 #USMNT roster for the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship will be announced later today. Stay tuned...

EDIT:

- SI: Schedule not only change CONCACAF considering for Champions League
Switching the CONCACAF Champions League from the current fall-to-spring format to a calendar year schedule should help MLS clubs that typically have difficulty negotiating knockout rounds played during their preseason.
It turns out another key “discussion item” is the competition format itself. According to two sources with knowledge of the proposal, CONCACAF is considering returning to the structure used during the first four seasons of the tournament (2008-09 through 2011-12). If it’s adopted, CONCACAF would scrap the three-team groups and start the CCL (and the year) with a preliminary round featuring 16 clubs paired off in home-and-home series.
The eight winners would join eight automatic qualifiers in four, four-team groups for a double round robin contested in the spring. The top two finishers in each group would advance to the late summer/autumn quarterfinals. The knockout rounds then would proceed as normal, with the finals likely completed by the end of October.

Dartastic

Fun stats. D:

"...the Timbers (11-9-8, 41 points) have scored just 29 goals... Only the bottom-dwelling Colorado Rapids have fewer goals this season."

" The Timbers are second in MLS in shots with 397 and third in the league in shots on goal with 337. Over their last three games, the Timbers have dominated their opponents, taking 55 shots, including 20 on goal."

FUCKING COME ON GUYS. ARGH. Source

- MLS Analyst: On the radar for Week 29 of the 2015 MLS season

- US Olympic Qualifying Roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Charlie Horton (Leeds; Cleveland Ohio), Ethan Horvath (Molde; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zack Steffen (Freiburg; Downington, Pa.).

DEFENDERS (5): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact; Woodbury, Minn.), William Packwood (Unattached; Concord, Mass.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes; Northville, Mich.), Gboly Ariyibi (Chesterfield; Arlington, Va.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Texas), Marc Pelosi (San Jose Earthquakes; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; Milwaukee, Wis.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; Gahanna, Ohio), Gedion Zelalem (Rangers; Bethesda, Md.).

FORWARDS (4): Alonso Hernandez (C.D. Juarez; El Paso, Texas), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart; Berlin, Germany), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Maki Tall (FC Sion; Washington, D.C.).

Fun stats. D:

"...the Timbers (11-9-8, 41 points) have scored just 29 goals... Only the bottom-dwelling Colorado Rapids have fewer goals this season."

" The Timbers are second in MLS in shots with 397 and third in the league in shots on goal with 337. Over their last three games, the Timbers have dominated their opponents, taking 55 shots, including 20 on goal."

FUCKING COME ON GUYS. ARGH. Source

Hopefully, they turn it around... next week. :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After Sporting won tonight? Naw. The Red Bulls are making the playoffs. Fuck that. We're still fighting to get in. I want Lucas Melano to destroy them. The RBs are my favorite east coast team but... no time for that. WRECK THEM. LET'S GO TIMBERS.

We aren't gonna lose to you, sure we won't have Dax but this team's got depth.

Top Bottom