• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

GRW810

The Red Bulls game is going better than I could have ever hoped, goddamn up 4 at the half.
Shame we couldn't stick a few more past them in the second half to really pile it on but that 4-0 first half was incredible.

One more win next week, please RBNY.

Esch

Banned
There is only one thing that can unite all of us and it is to see the Galaxy lose.
NJcWQIJ.gif

Blue Lou

CONCACAF and CONMEBOL have decided that the Olympic playoff should be on a home and away basis, and not one game in Rio de Janeiro as originally planned.

Here's the press release:

CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship Third-Place Finisher USA to Face Colombia in Home-and-Away Series for Final Olympic Berth

Member associations to set dates for matches; series to be completed before the end of March

Miami (Monday, October 19, 2015) – The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) today confirmed that the playoff between the United States and Colombia for the final berth in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Men’s Olympic Football Tournament will be disputed in a home-and-away format.

The United States earned a place in the play-in series after finishing third at the CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship, which concluded last week. The CONCACAF side faces off in the playoff against CONMEBOL nation Colombia, the second-place finisher at the 2015 South American Youth Championship.

The Olympic Football tournaments fall under the auspices of FIFA, which conducted a preliminary draw for the event in March. At that draw, it was determined that the CONMEBOL participant would host the first leg of the playoff. The second leg will be hosted by the United States.

A full set of Regulations governing the tournament can be found here.

The exact dates, times and venues for the playoff matches will be determined by the Participating Member Associations in due course. FIFA has stipulated that both matches must be completed before the end of March, 2016.

The Football Tournament at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is scheduled to be played from August 3-20, in seven stadiums in six cities across Brazil. Mexico -- the Olympic Games gold medalist in 2012 and champion of the 2015 CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship -- and Honduras have already qualified from CONCACAF.

Rio 2016 Men’s Football Tournament – Qualified Nations and Playoff Participants

CONCACAF
Qualified
1. Mexico (Winner -- CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship)
2. Honduras (Runner-up -- CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship)

Playoff versus CONMEBOL
3. United States (Third Place -- CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship)

CONMEBOL
Qualified
1. Argentina (Winner -- 2015 South American Youth Championship)
2. Brazil (Host Nation)

Playoff versus CONCACAF
3. Colombia (Second Place --2015 South American Youth Championship)

Cystm

I was going to joyfully post a gif of that incredible save from Tyler Deric on the Clint Dempsey FK from last night, but the above post reminded me how terrible our USMNT is (at all ages) and how bleak our future feels right now.

Fuck it.

Got my call from my TFC ticket rep today, picked my seats for 2016, 12 rows up in 210, second level near the supporters end. Couple of aisle seats for my girlfriend and I.

Super excited, officially a season ticket holder. Only been wanting to be one for like 6 years.

Got my call from my TFC ticket rep today, picked my seats for 2016, 12 rows up in 210, second level near the supporters end. Couple of aisle seats for my girlfriend and I.

Super excited, officially a season ticket holder. Only been wanting to be one for like 6 years.

Congrats. I'm a new season ticket holder next year too. I'm actually going to RBA Saturday for a seat relocation event since my Dad decided to get a ticket after me and had to get it two sections over. I got a great seat a section over from the South Ward, which I'm probably going to have to give up. Hopefully, we can get something nearby.

Blue Lou

It's a bit dry but I think this is one of the most important stories in American Soccer in a while: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...-clubs-solidarity-compensation-fifa-transfers

In 1997, a US District Judge ordered:

1. USSF will not impose, implement, or enforce, in any way, those rules, statutes, or regulations adopted by the Federation Internationale de Football Association relating to the payment of transfer fees or training and development fees ("transfer fee rules") for professional soccer players who are free of contractual obligations to other teams ("out of contract players").

2.USSF will not directly or indirectly prevent a player from playing in Major League Soccer ("MLS") by failing to register an out of contract player in the United States because MLS has not complied with the transfer fee rules with respect to out of contract players.

3. USSF will not directly or indirectly prevent an out of contract player from playing in MLS on the ground that such a player has not received an international transfer certificate from a foreign soccer association because the player's previous team has demanded a transfer fee and MLS has declined to pay such a fee.

In 2001, FIFA overhauled the transfer system so that clubs could not ask for transfer fees for out of contract players but this court order prevents American youth teams from receiving residuals.

Already? It's one season and they didn't even put him in a position where he could succeed. Man City must really think that spending money on big name players is enough to win, if they do then they're going to have a rude awakening when they wind up in the same position next year.

well I mean that's kinda what they did for the PL club

Not feeling super confident the Sounders are making it to the playoffs I gotta say. KC and Portland both have the Rapids, with KC having a whole second game to get points (against the Galaxy, which is nice at least), and SJ are playing Dallas, which would normally be nice, but they clinched everything so will probably play a B squad. Salt Lake always seems to do well against Sounders too.

Arials

Already? It's one season and they didn't even put him in a position where he could succeed. Man City must really think that spending money on big name players is enough to win, if they do then they're going to have a rude awakening when they wind up in the same position next year.

I'm wondering if there's friction between Kreis and his bosses over taking Man City academy players on loan. They're allowed to take four but Kreis made it pretty clear he didn't want that many, having a manager of a farm team who doesn't want to fit young loanees into his plans ahead of MLS journeymen can't play well with the suits. In that sense Patrick Vieira would be perfect for them as he's a highly rated coach who has been spending the last four years working in Man City's academy, he'd be fully on board with bringing players over and would know exactly which players he wants on his team.

Dartastic

Not feeling super confident the Sounders are making it to the playoffs I gotta say. KC and Portland both have the Rapids, with KC having a whole second game to get points (against the Galaxy, which is nice at least), and SJ are playing Dallas, which would normally be nice, but they clinched everything so will probably play a B squad. Salt Lake always seems to do well against Sounders too.
Dallas is going to go for broke. The Supporters Shield is on the line. Although, I would very much like to see the Sounders removed from playoff contention... Especially as we started the downward spiral that got them to that point.

Also, good shit Rapids. Hopefully that got a win out of your system. :p

Big Blue

Hmm, it worked pretty well for them no?

Dallas is going to go for broke. The Supporters Shield is on the line. Although, I would very much like to see the Sounders removed from playoff contention... Especially as we started the downward spiral that got them to that point.

Also, good shit Rapids. Hopefully that got a win out of your system. :p

Oh my bad, I thought Dallas already had the shield, forgot about NYRB

imBask

Banned
taking my gf to the Impact game on sunday, it's her first time

Giovinco please don't score, and please let Drogba score so she can feel the hype

DI-DIER DROGBA LALALALALA

Hey all. Long time, no see. It's been a brutal few weeks for the US System, but at least we have MLS playoff hijinks to keep us busy before the USMNT is back in business.

I'm shocked that the Quakes are still in contention for the last playoff spot after some of their recent results, but this has been their m.o. for a while - a glimmer of hope and then getting the rug pulled out again. I don't give them much hope on the road in Dallas against a motivated team, but we'll see what happens.

Full set of playoff scenarios here from MLSSoccer. "Decision Day" should be fun, and I'm pleased that they lined up all of the matches at the same time.

Paul Carr took a crack at the playoff odds in the West:

CIULyTT.jpg

MUai4B8.jpg

Also, the US U-17's face off against Chile in the U17 WC in a few hours. They haven't been playing too well so far, but Pulisic has been a bright spot along with a couple of other players. With a win they're through to the knockouts and a tie might also suffice if other results work out in their favor.

US lost 1-4. They're out of the World Cup. First time the US has been eliminated from the u17 World Cup in the first round in 16 years.

Another gold star for our Technical Director.

I believe the math works out where we at least host the knockout round if we beat Montreal, regardless of what happens with DC and Columbus. So that would be nice, but a DC/Cbus draw to put us 2nd would be lovely.

ngower

Mentally preparing myself for the Revs breakdown and Orlando surge that results in the Revs being eliminated from playoff contention. I've accepted my fate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's an 8 GD between the two teams. So if the Revs lost 4-0 and Orlando won 4-0, I think it'd go head-to-head where Orlando win. Or something like that.

That's what I thought. It take a massive fuck up by the Revs not to make the play-offs at this point.

ngower

That's what I thought. It take a massive fuck up by the Revs not to make the play-offs at this point.

Remember that whole "we could have qualified a month ago" thing? Revs *have* been massively fucking up for a month. And this NYC field is such a shitshow that I wouldn't be surprised with a big loss here (3-0).

Top Bottom