• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

Hell of a freekick from Deuce.

Also:

BrightGranularArcticduck.gif

I'm glad I got to watch the later two games. Didn't know who to root for in the Cbus/Montreal match, as I don't want to really root for either one.

imBask

Banned
love the Kane firy pyros whenever Seattle scores, Montreal could benefit from something like that

maybe not fire, since we're literally a foot a way from the goal posts

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Great way to start our playoff campaign, our first ever playoff win in RFK. The sooner they replace that safety hazard the better, the section we were in was bouncing like a goddamn trampoline.

Just finally caught up.

Great result for the Sounders but they will need an away goal.

I think the Timbers are okay but unlucky not to be going forward with a lead.

Surprised how flat Columbus looked they have work to do.

NY v. DC was ugly and boring and hopefully didn't turn everyone off to the rest of the games.

Dartastic

I think the Timbers are okay but unlucky not to be going forward with a lead.
I agree. The biggest thing I wanted out of yesterday's game, outside of a victory, was a shutout. We got that. We got that in a game where we only had two days rest after a 120 minute long epic match, and without Diego Chara and our head goalkeeper. Hopefully for next week we'll have Chara back, and that'll free up Nagbe to be more aggressive. I feel good about next week, mostly because of that shutout.

Speaking of Nagbe, I knew he had an incredible game but I didn't realize how incredible. Nagbe became the 1st player w 100+ touches, 8+ successful dribbles & 3+ tackles in an MLS game since Opta started tracking in 2011. Like, holy fucking shit.

Meier

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/11/02/jason-kreis-leaves-post-new-york-city-fc-head-coach

Kreis out.

New York City Football Club can confirm that they have parted company with Head Coach Jason Kreis. The announcement comes following a review conducted at the end of a disappointing campaign. The decision has also been made for Miles Joseph and CJ Brown to leave the Club.

Prior to the start of the season, it was agreed with the coaching team that securing of a playoff place was an appropriate target for this year. A win rate of less than one in three games and a points tally which was the second lowest in the league is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed.

While the challenges of building and integrating a new team are recognized, it was felt by the Board, following a comprehensive review, that there was not enough evidence of the dynamics required to improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond.

Meier

I think it was the right decision as there was a very clear clash between him and management. They need to find someone who is more suited to this position. Sometimes good coaches just don't work at a particular job (i.e. Saban at Miami).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it was the right decision as there was a very clear clash between him and management. They need to find someone who is more suited to this position. Sometimes good coaches just don't work at a particular job (i.e. Saban at Miami).

The clash felt more like management didn't know shit about the league, only a fool would think a play-off berth in their first season was a reasonable goal. Especially with the team they put together. Whoever they get next isn't going to do a lot better unless they bring in a real backline and a holding mid to play next to Pirlo. That team just bled goals.

Meier

The clash felt more like management didn't know shit about the league, only a fool would think a play-off berth in their first season was a reasonable goal. Especially with the team they put together. Whoever they get next isn't going to do a lot better unless they bring in a real backline and a holding mid to play next to Pirlo. That team just bled goals.
I think the results bit was played up in the press release to frame it in a light that made it appear due to on the field stuff primarily. I am absolutely confident that his demeanor played a much, much larger role. If they'd had the shitty season they did and he lead the time like Inchy did, he'd still have his job.

The photo that was selected was very calculated.

Hey did you like TFC's super long road trip to start the season this year?

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 11m11 minutes ago
Manning says TFC likely to start eight on the road. He told Greg he wants eight points through eight games.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 11m11 minutes ago
Manning expects TFC's first home game to be the first or second week of May.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 9m9 minutes ago
Manning on putting pressure on Vanney: "Pressure comes with the job." #micdrop

Meier

Just found out that my town (Little Rock Arkansas) now has a NPSL club. :D

http://www.nationalpremiersoccerleague.com/imgs/Little%20Rock%20Rangers%20Soccer%20Club.jpg[IMG]

So damn happy![/QUOTE]

Conceptually I like this crest but the tree looks a little off. Exciting news either way!

No coach is going to make it work in this league with those three old guys.

Anyone expecting anything within a five year period of a club starting would be delusional as it usually takes years to get established teams back on track or to create a new ethos. However if it is Capello going there then he will know exactly what to do with them, they probably wont like it (he famously dislikes divas and treats them accordingly) and he is very good at creating a pragmatic teams with less than ideal circumstances and build a strong ethos. His style of football is out of favour in Europe but it would suit the MLS it is the older Italian style mainly playing a 3-4-3 or a 4-4-2 lots of physicality and pace on the wings but above all highly disciplined. Wont win much but will build a good framework for others to then build from.

Kreis was always going to get a rough time and that would have been in consideration. First year manager with new owners that are building infrastructure at the same time as a team was always going to be tough for him. Everything was new, he had no existing club specific support networks, a management that are going to be testing lots of differing logistical strategies, no real home ground, players coming in mid season that would probably be snobbish towards his credentials, marketing requirements to hit, trying to play a type of football that requires a very high standard of player – that will have came from upon high – which the MLS currently doesn't really have never mind the players at his disposal. All that doesn't make for a good working relationship between management and coaching staff combined with the inability to build a framework that looked like it had any potential is what will have got him fired, the former probably more so than the latter.

I just find it funny when I think back to the video I watched, the year before NYCFC played their first game, with Kreis in England learning the City way to play. He goes through all that and they fire him after one season.

I just find it funny when I think back to the video I watched, the year before NYCFC played their first game, with Kreis in England learning the City way to play. He goes through all that and they fire him after one season.

Welcome to big business football. Managers do more and get fired after a few months. His mistake was trying to fully emulate the current attacking "city way" (that is really Pellegrini's way and is different under all managers) when his brief was to play attractive entertaining football/soccer. He clearly attempted it but where was his own philosophy and where was the framework for the additional years. CFG are going to pour hundreds of millions into developing the club and local talent and if the manager isn't fitting the way they want they are going to get rid, these are people who have ran the biggest clubs as well as the smallest across multiple leagues and know their football/soccer and how to make a lot of money doing it. What the MLS needs really to step up in my opinion is top class experienced managers who will help the main player base step up their technical level which is sorely needed.

- FourFourTwo article/interview with Mizga
While Miazga is sure of his desire to play in the Premier League, he still doesn’t know what his future has in store at international level. The US Federation seems more determined than ever to build a national team around younger players after a disastrous summer, with Miazga central to the plan.

"He is the future of American soccer,” insists Ramos. “We believed in him from day one and worked on his progress. I believe we also have a better programme than Poland. I won’t put any pressure on Matt, though, as it’s his decision to make. I haven’t made up my mind just yet,” Miazga says. “It’s a very tough one. I'm totally undecided. I’ll wait to see who calls me first to the main national team and see what happens then.”

Judging by both countries’ defensive concerns, it should not take too long for that call to arrive. Jurgen Klinsmann has been unable to settle on a regular centre-back pairing recently - especially following the decline of Omar Gonzalez - and Poland boss Adam Nawalka has struggled to find a player to complement Torino stalwart Kamil Glik at the back. Zbigniew Boniek - arguably the greatest Polish player of all-time and now the president of the country's federation - contacted Miazga and made his pitch recently, promising that he’ll be called up soon. "My family wants me to play for Poland and my friends encourage me to choose US. I'm torn. I feel both Polish and American, I really do. It’s hard, so hard.”

Next summer the US will host a prestigious one-off Copa America to celebrate the competition's 100th anniversary, while Poland are seen as potential dark horses at Euro 2016 with stars like Robert Lewandowski and Grzegorz Krychowiak recognized as top players in their respective positions.

Given Miazga's rapid progress up to now, he might even become the first ever player to be called-up to participate in both tournaments at the same time. "It's possible,” grins the talented youngster. "But I should know for sure by then.”
Hmmm. I thought Miazga was a little more firmly with the US. Need to get him locked down and capped ASAP.

FWIW, the new USMNT roster should be out on Sunday, and there will undoubtedly be a few leaks before then. I assume some of the picks might be contingent on MLS playoff results.

Top Bottom