• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Great win by the Timbers today! This is my first season watching soccer. So a win by Portland next week, or a tie, or a one goal loss and Portland still gets through yes?

Dartastic

Hey guys. I'm still really scared. Please send us your vibes. I cannot believe this is actually happening until it actually happens. This team has been a team of kind of sadness and tragedy and Ups and downs. I've been giving my Life every weekend to this team for the past year. I'm drunk right now and speaking to my iPad so hopefully this works but like whatever. I believe in this team. I believe in the squad. I believe in our fans.

Hey guys. I'm still really scared. Please send us your vibes. I cannot believe this is actually happening until it actually happens. This team has been a team of kind of sadness and tragedy and Ups and downs. I've been giving my Life every weekend to this team for the past year. I'm drunk right now and speaking to my iPad so hopefully this works but like whatever. I believe in this team. I believe in the squad. I believe in our fans.

You got all my vibes. You guys all know how all for TFC I am, and I'm putting that on Portland now. Get it done, boys.

u got dis bro

shoplifter

Pulling for you, Timbers. I mean, for next week. I want to win the cup at home.

r9L1Mjl.gif

edit: also, new percentages. I'm not sure I *like* being the favorites but I'll take it I suppose.

CUdzyQaW4AEyNp3.jpg

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I'm currently in my office on autopilot from the trip, I don't even know how I would've looked if I had done the midnight bus. Praise be the vans.

I can't believe we got shut out, what the fuck happened to our midfield? That was like the worst game of the year.

It truly was, we looked off. Couldn't connect passes, silly giveaways, ball watching, it was bad. Marsch has to figure out how to keep this team at a decent level after long breaks next season. It kills us.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It truly was, we looked off. Couldn't connect passes, silly giveaways, ball watching, it was bad. Marsch has to figure out how to keep this team at a decent level after long breaks next season. It kills us.

With any luck they'll be back in form for the next match and can just win 3-0 or whatever and go to the final. That week off killed us, the only saving grace is Miazga and Zubar looked fine together so if the midfield can get it's shit together and start getting the ball to BWP, or just scoring on their own, it should be ok.

You're damn right about figuring out that off-week thing next season.

shoplifter

Two goals isn't insurmountable but a single away goal will require NY to put up four on us. If it turns I to a game where NY has to push as many bodies forward as possible, I can see us scoring at least one or two on the counter.

shoplifter

Anyone know what's going on in NYC Saturday? I'm making to trip and don't want to do touristy shit.

\/\/ ha, yeah I guess that's obvious. there's always something going on.

GRW810

It's taken this long to even be able to think about that farce at the weekend. The Red Bulls were horrendous. I'm not even pondering progression scenarios for the 2nd leg because I just can't see a way in which we pull it off. I dare not dream.

Cystm

cf97 official press release:

Like his father, Blagoje, Veljko signed his first professional contract with Serbia’s Partizan. He made 13 appearances during that debut campaign in 1994-95. Soon after, Paunovic pursued a career in Spain, signing with Marbella for one season. He next joined Atletico Madrid, where he would win a La Liga title and the Copa del Rey in 1996. A loan in 1998 led to another milestone moment, as Paunovic won the Spanish Super Cup with Mallorca, besting FC Barcelona 3-2 on aggregate. After seven more seasons in Spain, as well as stops in Hannover (Bundesliga) and Rubin Kazan (Russian Premier League, Paunovic ultimately returned to where it all began in 2008. He made nine appearances for Partizan to close the season, helping them to a league championship and Serbian Cup. Paunovic retired following the 2008 season, but returned in 2011 as a member of the Philadelphia Union.

He has experience
brief to be sure, but it is better than nothing.
in MLS. Has played successfully in Europe for a significant amount of time, then he went on to be a successful coach for the Serbian Uxx National Teams.

Serbia defeated Mali and Mexico 2-0 to finish atop Group D. Paunovic then navigated the knockout phase with four matches that went to extra time. They opened with a 2-1 result against Hungary, advanced past the United States in penalty kicks before moving to the final with a 2-1 win over Mali. In the final, Serbia upset powerhouse Brazil 2-1 to earn the country its first world title at any level as an independent nation.

Paunovic guided Serbia to third place at the 2014 UEFA U-19 European Championship. His squad finished on top of both of its qualification groups to reach the final tournament.

Veljko Paunovic actually runs his own YouTube channel.

“Soccer is a lifestyle that I live and preach my whole life. I love this kind of challenge, where you have to build a champion by giving your best in every moment. I see the Chicago Fire as a hurt lion ready to unleash all its power.”

I am allowing myself to be optimistic.

Guys, please...

Help!

MjKL4.gif

Grant Wahl's column:
Copa America Centenario details emerge

The Copa América Centenario is now set for 10 U.S. cities next summer, and details are starting to emerge about the specifics. I’m told MLS will likely not schedule any games during the group stage of the tournament. The draw is set to have four seeded teams, with one of them being the host United States. I’m told the four temporary grass surfaces will be given more time to take root than we usually see during the summer, and organizers are expecting that every country will send its best possible teams.

The biggest question remains Brazil’s Neymar, who will face pressure to play in the Olympics at home in August. A source close to Neymar says he thinks the Barcelona superstar will play in Copa América.
'Bloodbath' of an off-season for middle-tier MLS players

One longtime MLS GM tells me that this offseason could be a “bloodbath” for middle-class and veteran MLS players making between $100,000 and $250,000. The problem: The new collective bargaining agreement wasn’t agreed upon until March, and the salary budget per team didn’t go up nearly as high as some league GMs were expecting.

As a result, several teams had to use far more allocation money than they had planned to get cap compliant in March—and now have much less allocation money than they had expected for next season. (Most GMs plan on how to use their allocation money more than one window ahead.) The longtime GM says to look for middle-class MLS players to suffer and in many cases have their salaries reduced.

Not everyone in the league totally agrees with that assessment, however. Another MLS GM said his team didn’t expect the cap to go up that much and thus doesn’t have a problem with low allocation money. He added that if there are more players than usual in the re-entry draft, he’s hoping his team can benefit from that. A league source did say, however, that he would be surprised if there were that many more players than usual available in re-entry.

- Championship side Reading latest to express interest in LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes
English Championship club Reading FC are the latest to join the growing crowd of suitors around LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes, MLSsoccer.com has confirmed.

As originally reported by Fox Soccer's Keith Costigan via Twitter on Tuesday, the Royals have joined the likes of Belgian side Genk in registering an interest in the US international. A pair of sources close to the situation confirmed to MLSsoccer.com that Reading were indeed browsing Zardes. Costigan also linked another Championship admirer, fast starters Brighton & Hove Albion, as potential bidders.

Top Bottom