• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

$5 million for Miazga? that's a good price. Hopefully wherever he goes he'll be able to get some starting minutes. who needs a defender in the epl right now?

watch it be Chelsea cuz they couldn't get John Stones lol.

Arials

$5 million for Miazga? that's a good price. Hopefully wherever he goes he'll be able to get some starting minutes. who needs a defender in the epl right now?

watch it be Chelsea cuz they couldn't get John Stones lol.

He wouldn't be being signed as a starter straight away anywhere in the Premier League IMO, and Chelsea would be a bad move - they'd just loan farm him with the intention of selling for a profit a few years down the line.

I don't want Miazga to go. :'(

He just learned how to pump his own gas a few weeks ago. Now, he's going off into the world?!

Oh well. He won't be alone. He still has David Villa in his back pocket to keep him company.

Arials

Well that went down well:

Chelsea have made a shock bid to sign unknown New York Red Bulls defender Matt Miazga that will raise new questions over the Stamford Bridge club’s transfer policy.

Recent transfer activity has also caused divisions within Chelsea, as senior players and staff question the quality of players the club are recruiting.

Sources involved in Major League Soccer are shocked that Chelsea are signing Miazga, who they believe falls well short of the quality required by the Premier League champions.

Esch

Banned
Chelsea huh? That's the end of Miazga's career. They're going to pawn him off to Vitesse and then he'll spend the rest of his days floundering out in the Championship.

Horrible decision.

- Grant Wahl: Source: Chelsea will not loan Matt Miazga upon transfer from Red Bulls
A source close to the Miazga deal tells SI.com that if the deal goes through, Chelsea would keep Miazga with its senior team for the remaining four months of this season and then evaluate his performance this summer.

At that point, Chelsea would decide either to keep Miazga or loan him out to another team. That would give Miazga at least four months to train (and perhaps play) with Chelsea’s first team and make his case for inclusion moving forward.
He needs to play. Disappointing if he's going to languish in training and reserve matches for the next four months.

Meier

I don't see the big deal about the Ashley Cole thing to be honest. He said something shitty about the league. Oh well, so be it. The league's overall quality has improved every year and what was possibly indicative a few seasons back isn't necessarily the case today. I think it's a worthwhile signing by them -- I don't see on their site if it's a 1 year deal initially or 2 or what but he's definitely worth a shot.

Arials

I don't see the big deal about the Ashley Cole thing to be honest. He said something shitty about the league. Oh well, so be it.

It's insecurity on the parts of the people complaining, not everyone is a robot who'll trumpet a PR line and otherwise keep quiet. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see some contrite quotes attributed to Cole on MLSsoccer.com sometime soon.

Meier

It's insecurity on the parts of the people complaining, not everyone is a robot who'll trumpet a PR line and otherwise keep quiet. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see some contrite quotes attributed to Cole on MLSsoccer.com sometime soon.

Large swaths of MLS fans are insanely territorial and sensitive. It's something that they need to get over. You're spot on about those would be quotes though.

Cystm

Passion is a curious thing from person to person. I wonder if comparing and contrasting ourselves with European football's leagues and players should be held in high regard to every aspect of US Soccer.

I'm just going to say it up front: Ashley Cole is a bit of a cunt. I don't think you need his comments on "the MLS" to arrive at that conclusion alone either. I do believe that I fall into the sensitive US Soccer stan category from time to time, but having a player shit on your league (as an already aged footballer at the time the comments were made) and then turn around and bring him in years later just is pathetic. I don't think the league is the best in the world, or even in the top 5 if I'm being honest, but I don't see it as a pathetic league either.

He's just not worth it. This isn't progressive. It's undervaluing your own worth.

Dartastic

I just bought a venue pass for the Copa America games in Seattle. Do we know how many games that each pass gets you into, and if you can sell individual games? I know I won't be able to make all of them, but I had to get a ticket just to see Argentina play.

Edit: I'm in section 119 which is a Seattle supporter section normally I believe. It's gonna be weird. Haha.

I just bought a venue pass for the Copa America games in Seattle. Do we know how many games that each pass gets you into, and if you can sell individual games? I know I won't be able to make all of them, but I had to get a ticket just to see Argentina play.

Edit: I'm in section 119 which is a Seattle supporter section normally I believe. It's gonna be weird. Haha.

They should've told you, but it should be good for all games at the stadium, including knockout stages (minus the Final). The Boston venue pass is good for the 2 group stage games at Gillette + the QF.

As for if you can sell the individual games, no idea

The Ashley Cole doesn't make a ton of sense to me for a number of reasons. He's 35 at a position where you need to cover a lot of ground and a league where there's extensive travel that a few older signings have recently complained about. He only played ~10 games for Roma in the last year and a half, and they've actively been trying to get rid of him. There are salary concerns, though it looks like this isn't much of an issue as Roma is likely to eat some of his wages in the near term. (I think one of my Roma supporter friends mentioned this? Though they might have just released him from his contract all together.) He has a history of being a bit of a jackass, so he's not exactly a good face for the league. Perhaps I'm way off in this assessment and will have to eat crow at the end of the season, but this signing just seems to raise a number of red flags with little upside. I don't really care one way or another about his comments about the league on Twitter. I'll readily admit that I'm biased as an Arsenal fan and a Quakes fan, and that I'd be happy to see this move fail miserably.

Also, a reminder that the USMNT have a game this weekend:

- MLS Soccer: USA vs. Iceland | International Friendly Match Preview
USA vs. Iceland
International Friendly
January 31 | 3:45 pm ET | StubHub Center, Carson, Calif.
TV: ESPN2, UniMás, UDN

Cystm

2016 kit round up so far:

The best so far, SJ:
eV2m3Ty.jpg

New Secondary for NYCFC:

They brought back the white bar for Chicago

I know it's meant to be a throw back to 97, and I can appreciate the appeal of tradition, but it looks ass.

Which stadium?

should work with all of them. both of the emails have this at the bottom

The link above leads to a page on ticketmaster.com that lists all ten Copa America Centenario venues. From there, click the desired venue to reach the order page, then enter the above promotion code in the designated box to access the available seating inventory.

also allows up to 8 tickets/passes

Dartastic

Yo, those new Timbers 2nd kits are FIERCE. Really dig them. I wish the back was black instead of red, but as a whole they look really nice.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-28_at_12.21.12_PM.0.png

Meier

I'll readily admit that I'm biased as an Arsenal fan and a Quakes fan, and that I'd be happy to see this move fail miserably.

No love lost for Cashley, eh? Honestly, I agree with your reasoning about it not necessarily being a good signing for the Galaxy. But I don't have an issue with them actually signing him. If he fails, so be it. I can see why they're willing to take a chance on a player who at least was as talented as him.

ZZMitch

K Nameth off to Qatar and SKC is getting 3m + Sell On clause. He was a fun player to watch but looks like good business from SKC so I have mixed feelings.

There was a Robb Heineman tweet something along the lines of "players not wanting to be here and maximizing opportunities" so he probably asked for a trade. Sad day...I really liked him.

Yuck. Well maybe they can turn around and use that cash to buy someone who wants to be there.

Does anyone have a presale code to Century Link? I'm looking to buy a venue pass for all three games.

I've got a code that works for any of them. I'll PM ya.

Top Bottom