• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

Would Howard even want to go to Colorado? I imagine the paycheck would need to be massive.

There is zero chance of him going to Colorado. He would likely sit on the bench for Everton than come back to MLS. He'll retire a Toffee early and jump into commentary before anything else.

Edit: That Clint Irwin pick up is pretty good for the reds. As Cornballer already mentioned, he's basically been a really talented keeper held back by a shit team. He's young enough too (as far as keepers go these days) at only 26. Hopefully your keeper for years to come.

Blue Lou

Draw information for the Copa Centenario;

Miami (Tuesday, January 19, 2016) – The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF), the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) and the Copa America Centenario Local Organizing Committee (LOC) announced today that the 2016 Copa America Centenario Draw will take place on Sunday, February 21 at 7:30 p.m. ET, at the famed Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. The draw will be televised live on Univision in the United States.

The seeding determination for the draw is based on the December 2015 FIFA World Rankings. Details of groups and procedures for the draw will be announced in the days leading up to the event.

Dartastic

So one of my dream trips is to go to Seattle and Portland over a weekend, to see two MLS matches at home in two days. One of my 2016 goals in general is to attend a TFC match as an away supporter.

That said, I looked at the schedule tonight. April 30 is Seattle hosting Columbus, and May 1 has TFC in Portland. Holy shit!

So this is a real possibility now, having looked at flights and such. What does everyone, especially Dar, think about all this? And if I'm going to the TFC match in Portland, should I sit with the TA or away support? Haha
Yeah, you DEFINITELY should do that trip. That's a great idea, with some great matches. I'll definitely be going to the Toronto game. Just in general, Seattle and Portland are both great cities and we both have a lot of cool stuff to offer outside of soccer. Those will probably be some great games.

While the TA is pretty friendly we don't really tolerate opposing colors in our section. So if you're going to come to the game and full on support Toronto, you probably should buy tickets in the Toronto supporter group's section. I'd definitely be down to grab a drink or two with you before the game though. :)

Yeah, you DEFINITELY should do that trip. That's a great idea, with some great matches. I'll definitely be going to the Toronto game. Just in general, Seattle and Portland are both great cities and we both have a lot of cool stuff to offer outside of soccer. Those will probably be some great games.

While the TA is pretty friendly we don't really tolerate opposing colors in our section. So if you're going to come to the game and full on support Toronto, you probably should buy tickets in the Toronto supporter group's section. I'd definitely be down to grab a drink or two with you before the game though. :)

Noted! Once I get this all booked and such, I'll look to get away support tickets. Might come say hey well before kickoff, just to see what you guys see, haha.

And it would be a very whirlwind trip, like a weekend total for the whole thing, so I'll have to scramble and get a cliffnotes version of the two cities, but I would absolutely be down for a drink or two as well.

I'll keep you posted as this comes along.

- Klinsmann firing back at Feilhaber
“We had Benny several times with us and he never had an impact in the moments he had the opportunity with the national team under my guidance,” Klinsmann said. “I cannot speak for (former coach Bob Bradley). Bob had his own experiences with him. Whenever he came in with us he never made an impression that made us say, 'This is international level.' It’s as simple as that."
There's a whole lot more via the link.

Chiclets

Banned
From Dayton originally lived in Dubai for most of my life i just moved back home. Life long Liverpool fan been to anfield home and champions league away games. Im looking for a local team to support the obvious choice is Columbus crew. any one here a season ticket holder i can talk to for next season or just join a local suppurating thing thx

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When was the last time Benny was called in to camp?

I think very early on when Klinsmann was just figuring the team out.

Outside of his performance this last year, there hasn't been much reason to call him up. Given the time in the cycle and his age, I'd rather Nagbe and other younger guys get the playing time and experience on the world stage. Benny isn't going to be here in Russia and they will.

Cystm

From Dayton originally lived in Dubai for most of my life i just moved back home. Life long Liverpool fan been to anfield home and champions league away games. Im looking for a local team to support the obvious choice is Columbus crew. any one here a season ticket holder i can talk to for next season or just join a local suppurating thing thx

Welcome! Shoplifter is out resident Crew SC supporter.

That reminds me, I might make a spreadsheet for our chosen clubs.

Thanks man.. Tbh i dont know anything about the MLS apart from the X prem players. when does the season start?
March 6, with the Cup final in December. Preseason friendlies and tournaments should be starting in a week or so, too, and those tend to be streamed on YouTube.

Might be worth finding some condensed matches or even full ones or just highlights, to get you started. The league's website was recently in countdown mode with all the best goals, saves and moments. Any specific questions you might have?

Everyone should see a match in Portland. Standing in the TA section is one of my favorite sports memory of all time. :D

I am sick and tired of these news teams calling themselves United or FC. Really, really disappointing. Thought we had grown from Eurposing. Love LA's new crest and color scheme though.

Good point. Still fun to be in the non TA section of the stadium as well. :D

Who here is getting the MLS Live subscription this season?
I love MLS Live, it's a fantastic service for me. I tend to watch the whole weekend's worth of matches, and I use a location blocker so I don't deal with blackouts. It's a steal for me at that price.

ZZMitch

Good point. Still fun to be in the non TA section of the stadium as well. :D

Who here is getting the MLS Live subscription this season?

I use it! It's especially great if you currently live outside of your teams market since their games will not be blacked out. Or you can use a location blocker like Campino said. It's great to just be able to turn on an MLS game and put it on the background when I am having dinner or studying or something like that. I must have watched 75% of the MLS games that happened last season.

Also it looks like Drogba will be back with Montreal

imBask

Banned
http://www.thescore.com/mls/news/944256

Didier Drogba will take part in Montreal Impact's preseason training

wrestling-fan-tears-of-joy-gifs-of-wrestling-fans-being-wrestling-fans.gif

Blue Lou

Players, coaches and referees of any nationality were eligible to be nominated for the awards, as long as they meet at least one of the following criteria:
Have played/coached/refereed for a CONCACAF member national team in a FIFA-sanctioned international competition...

Tim Howard played one game (a 0-0 vs. Trinidad in a WC qualifier) that met this criteria, he took a sabbatical for most of 2015 and still wins the CONCACAF goalkeeper of the year award. That is the most farcical award I've seen for a long time. :D

I just got a presale notification for the Copa America games at Gillette.

$170 for the cheapest seats, woof

e: just checked, it's for all 3 games, including the QF :eek:

I just got a presale notification for the Copa America games at Gillette.

$170 for the cheapest seats, woof

e: just checked, it's for all 3 games, including the QF :eek:
Yeah, they're venue passes. I'm looking at the Levi's ones in Santa Clara, but I'll probably hold out for single game tickets.

shoplifter

Kei Kamara is apparently in a contract dispute with Columbus.

Yeah, wouldn't it be great is the Columbus Dispatch had a full time Crew beat writer that could actually cover this story?

edit: FWIW, the dude is making 500k I believe. While I agree that he's worth it it's kind of shitty to come in after one season and try to hold out for more.

- ESPNFC: Matt Miazga set to join unnamed English Premier League team
United States international and New York Red Bulls defender Matt Miazga is set to be sold to an undisclosed English Premier League team within the next 24 hours, multiple sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.

Miazga, 20, had less than a year to run on his current contract with the Red Bulls, and given his desire to test himself overseas, New York was left with little choice but to sell Miazga now rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the 2016 MLS season.

The Daily Mail, who first reported the story, says that the transfer fee is approximately $5 million. Miazga also possesses a Polish passport, meaning he will not have to obtain a work permit.

Miazga was in camp with the U.S. national team, with a friendly against Iceland slated for this Sunday, and another against Canada the following Friday. But it's understood that Miazga has already departed, and is on his way to England where he will undergo a medical and then join up with his new club.

- ESPNFC: Tim Howard, Colorado Rapids mutually interested in deal - sources
One source with knowledge of the negotiations indicated that "discussions are ongoing and positive."

Howard signed a four-year contract with Everton in 2014 that lasts until 2018, but a source said his 10-year spell with the club makes it unlikely that MLS will need to pay a transfer fee in order to obtain his services.

In terms of salary, the source said Howard will earn between $2-3 million per year, making him easily the highest-paid goalkeeper in MLS. According to salary data from the 2015 season provided by the MLS Players Union, a salary of $2 million would put Howard in the top 15 of MLS salaries base of total compensation.

Top Bottom